December 6, 2021 Gameday Bills vs. Patriots* Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

21 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Oh bro, its absurd right now. Earlier on first take Stephen A. spouts off with "if the bills dont take the division this year, then they wont take it for the next decade". Earlier in the week on GMFB, schrager says "it looks like another 20 years of the dynasty".

Its gotten completely out of control. I dont care how good Jones is, HE AINT THE GOAT. And if they aint got the GOAT then every year we will compete with them for a division title. 

Dude.... its gotten so bad this week that i found myself actually tuning in to "first things first" more often because Nick Wright is the only person in the media that hasnt become completely unhinged when talking about the Pats.

What I don't understand is why they would want to push this narrative. The whole point of these shows is to get regular viewers. In order to do this you want people to be interested in the NFL. For them to be truly interested they need to believe that, you know, other teams have a good chance to win. But these guys just keep telling us how the Pats are going to dominate for the next 20 years based on a good, solid rookie QB season. It's nuts 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, teef said:

I’ve never seen more bills fans bent out of shape about a game before.  Get your ***** in order people. Get it in order. 

all_is_well.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

What I don't understand is why they would want to push this narrative. The whole point of these shows is to get regular viewers. In order to do this you want people to be interested in the NFL. For them to be truly interested they need to believe that, you know, other teams have a good chance to win. But these guys just keep telling us how the Pats are going to dominate for the next 20 years based on a good, solid rookie QB season. It's nuts 

Well, they are getting what they ultimately want. You are talking about the show. They win this round.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Do they expect mac to get much better than he is now? I don’t get why they’re making this claim like the pats went through a 1 year rebuild and now they’re set up for long term success lol they just plugged a qb in who could actually throw the ball…I think mac is just about playing at his ceiling though just based on physical traits.  Their defensive pieces are all getting older…McCourty especially he’s got pretty big shoes to fill…the core of that defensive wasn’t really rebuilt at all 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

I’m watching two things:

1. How scared are the Bills going to be going after Mac Jones? A lot of talk about how safe you have to play against the Patriots. 

2. Do the Bills utilize McKenzie and Gabe Davis? Where is the motion, where are the jet sweeps, the misdirection? 

https://www.nfl.com/news/monday-night-football-preview-what-to-watch-for-in-patriots-bills

Forget about the chatter regarding matchups in this rivalry's past. The only thing that will matter on Monday Night Football is the chance to seize the No. 1 spot in the AFC East. Riding the momentum of a six-game winning streak, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have an opportunity to reclaim a spot that's belonged to them for much of the last 20-plus years. Bills Mafia would love for nothing more than to see its squad keep the division crown out of Foxborough and position itself for a second straight first-place finish.

Here are four things to watch for Monday night when Buffalo hosts New England:

1. Can Belichick's defense contain Josh Allen? Allen's first three matchups with New England ended in defeat, with the QB averaging a 48.4% completion rate. His improvement to a 70.4 average in last season's 2-0 sweep suggests he and the Bills offense are adapting better to Belichick's schemes. And, while this could be the case, don't let success against a D that wasn't what it currently is make you think Allen doesn't still need to test his mettle against an all-time coach. Boasting a versatile back end and an impactful front led by sack aficionado Matt Judon, the Pats have dominated on their way to becoming the NFL's top scoring defense (15.8 PPG) and a real playoff threat. They've notably allowed 25-plus points only twice but an 0-2 record in those games speaks volumes about their importance to the club's overall success. They will need to be at their collective best against a unit that's averaged nearly twice as many points (29.6) as they've surrendered.

2. Which CB will help Bills find their way without Tre? The loss of a player that sits atop a depth chart is hard for any team to account for. In Buffalo's case, Tre'Davious White's torn ACL created the need to fill such a void. With standout Taron Johnson entrenched in the slot, Dane Jackson or Cam Lewis will have to step up and hold down the spot opposite Levi Wallace. The pendulum seems to be swinging Jackson's way after Sean McDermott gave him his vote of confidence last week. Luckily for Jackson, whose two career starts came last season when he was a rookie, the Pats don't deploy any top-10 receivers. But Jakobi Meyers, Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor will certainly keep the second-year corner and his cohorts busy all night. We'll see how this secondary responds in its first game without its leader.

3. Will Mac be able stay on the attack if Pats fall behind? His approach may be different than last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year, but Mac Jones has done plenty to position himself to be next in line for that mantle. Jones has been efficient all season, but has displayed better decision-making during the win streak; he's tossed nine TD passes and just two picks in that span, compared to seven TDs and six picks over the first six games. Playing on a team with a formidable defense has helped Jones settle in nicely, but it'll be interesting to see if the offense can pick up the slack if the D has an off-night. It's worth noting that five of Jones' eight INT have come while trailing in a game, per NFL Research. With ballhawks Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde lurking in coverage and a promising pass rush bringing pressure, Jones must find ways to stay poised. It may not have looked like it against the Colts or Dolphins, but let's not forget, the Bills do have the league's No. 2scoring defense, after all. 

4. Will Diggs dominate again? The matchup between Stefon Diggs and J.C. Jacksonheadlines what is sure to be an interesting chess match between Belichick and Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. Diggs is the alpha dog in a receiving corps that ranks seventh in YPG. Jackson, meanwhile, is the centerpiece of a unit that has a combined 19 picks, the most in the NFL. Jackson, who's picked Allen off more than any defender (four), expressed his excitement for the Diggs assignment, though fans may not be as excited considering Diggs torched Jackson and the Pats for a combined 237 yards in two games last year and had three TDs in Week 16 last season. The All-Pro's gravity could lead to more opportunities for Cole Beasley, Emmanuel Sanders and red zone ace Dawson Knox. The standout tight end (and his seven TD receptions) may be the X-factor that benefits most with all eyes on Diggs.

Also a pretty good video at the link about the matchup.

Anyone know what uniforms the Bills are wearing?

• Like (+1) 1

I'm getting the same feeling I had before the playoff game last season against the Ravens.  Similar weather conditions and a  run-heavy offense with a talented and productive young QB and a top physical defense coming in to Buffalo that's going run the ball at will and stop a potent Bills offense.  That one didn't turn out the way it was expected to and tonight might not either.  From the latest weather reports this is sounding more and more like a wind event without any game-time precipitation. 

I think the Bills show up big time tonight and I expect the Patriots defense to do the same but I think the offense under Jones struggles with the wind conditions, the crowd, and the expectations of suddenly becoming the front-runner. 

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hope we blitz the living ***** out of this guy and never let him get comfortable. Surely keep an eye out for the screens but don’t let this kid get comfortable 

The Patriots won’t have Jones hold the ball for long.  He will be throwing to the flat or to underneath crossing patterns all game long.  The game will be won or lost there.  If the Bills can get a push up the middle thru the center or guards then we’re talking.. but unless the pass rush is a jailbreak, it’s not going to matter.  The Bills need to cover at the line of scrimmage.  Jam the receivers from the beginning and interfere with their timing.  Jones doesn’t have the experience to go to plan B on the fly.

• Haha (+1) 1

Many years ago, I married a beautiful Filipina who grew up in the sunny equatorial city of Davao where NFL football is barely known.

I explained to her that while I might be old, I am not old-fashioned.  I believe women are equal to men.  When we married, we'd be partners and she could do as many - or few - of the household chores as she so chose.  If she didn't want to cook, clean, or do the laundry...  well, that was her choice as a fully realized human being capable of independent thought and with her own life priorities.  

But I did have one non-negotiable requirement: she had to become a Bills fan. 

Last night, she ordered Buffalo Wings to be delivered at game time today.  Today she went to work in Bills gear.  The rituals have been respected.  The omens are right.  The Bills will win.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6