December 6, 2021 Gameday Bills vs. Patriots* Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Is it a ton of excuses? This whole narrative of we can’t stop the run is based on two games against generational type talents at rb that are running all over every team one game of which we were missing our two most important run stuffers. Not to mention Harrison Phillips was starting at DT with a torn PCL.  This stuff isn’t rocket science lol those guys are back this week so I’d expect to see a much more stout run defense.  Can we lose the game in another way? Yea maybe…but this whole oh no the colts whooped us so we have no chance because the pats offense is similar narrative is wildly exaggerated imo 

Agree There are many variables and reasons with the Bills have under preformed. Your points are certainly well taken and valid. However, at some point the only thing that really matters is wins and losses. All teams have injuries to deal with. Granted some are greatly worse than others. I really haven't read on here that the Bills have no chance of winning because of a similar Indy style game. I certainly haven't advocated that. 

21 minutes ago, Success said:

Why are the Pats exempt from critique?  They lost to Miami, they probably should have lost to Houston, they were held to mainly FG's by 2 other fairly bad teams.  They struggled mightily w/ TN until the end - and that team was missing all kinds of key players in both the running and passing game.

I feel like people here give the Pats too much credit, and the Bills not enough. Both teams have struggled at points this season.

It’s this assumption that a win streak means the team has suddenly drastically improved. Chiefs are another good example of this…they look about the same to me they just had a lot of tough matchups early in the season and their schedule evened out as time went on.  So the pats losses are no longer counted because people are assuming their deficiencies have been corrected when really they’re just dunking on terrible teams 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/12/3/22815164/bills-opponent-analysis-new-england-patriots-quarterback-mac-jones
Pretty good analysis from Buffalo Rumblings, Mac Jones not as good or as bad as some think. Not good over the middle, struggles with the deep out. If tonight’s forecast holds those areas of the field will be nonexistent. I wonder if they will go three LBs? Maybe with Wallace and Johnson on the corners, bringing in Jackson long yardage situations. It’s going to be interesting.

33 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Wonderful productive attitude you have there, it must be real fun time for you.

Living in Maine, seeing every collapse, and having New England fans ask me how we lost when it looked like we'd turn it on and hit them.  You sense a trend that we have that one game which defines our season.  This game determines the entire out look of the season.  If we lose it's a mid-season collapse and we don't really have much to do except rebuild and have to many question marks of whether or not we can call ourselves elite.  Someone posted how Sean is not designed to compete with Bellicheck and that's the problem.  Sean was deemed elite, he was designed to compete with Bill and was seen as being much better then Frank Reich.  We have to start stringing together victories now and start a trip for the first round bye that's how Buffalo has to play it.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree There are many variables and reasons with the Bills have under preformed. Your points are certainly well taken and valid. However, at some point the only thing that really matters is wins and losses. All teams have injuries to deal with. Granted some are greatly worse than others. I really haven't read on here that the Bills have no chance of winning because of a similar Indy style game. I certainly haven't advocated that. 

Oh yea that is very true…but we’re using past games to try to predict the outcome of a game that hasn’t happened yet so all these things become very relevant. Also two injuries on the offensive line specifically starts to get unmanageable…that is a really complex position and when you start shuffling guys around due to injury it gets very tough…so not all injuries are created equal. We were actually missing Knox as well for that jags game so that’s almost like missing three offensive linemen.  You may not have been advocating that but a large majority of people not just on this board seem to be and I think they will be pleasantly surprised with our run defense tonight…unless they’re patriots fans of course lol 

When I heard this I said Oh K. 

the season is nearly 3/4 over so how can the Bills prove it when they play the schedule 

That being said 

BUFFALO you better not 💩 this game !!!!!

Your playoff life may depend upon it 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

The two interesting stats I've seen come up today that have me encouraged (I know they've already been posted here, but I'm just mentioning that both are interesting and give me hope):

- Belichick's Pats are 0-6 post-Brady when going up against divisional opponents who are 3 games over .500 or more.
- McDermott's Bills are 7-2 against rookie QBs, and have never allowed one to throw for more than one touchdown against them

Here's hoping both stats/trends continue tonight.

I will also add that the Pats if they give up 25 pts or more have lost both times.  

The average points per game given up in their 4 losses is also 25 pts.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

This was Jared Goff's girlfriend's reaction to that game-winning TD yesterday (she was on a photo shoot - obviously NOT in Detroit)

Would Brittany have a similar reaction if Josh wins tonight ???

I think I'll have cantaloupe with my lunch today... or maybe that will be my entire lunch...

• Like (+1) 1

You can't predict anything this year. It really is a week to week league. Look at the Bengals. One week they blow out the Ravens in Baltimore. The next two weeks they lost to the Jets and got stomped by the Browns. Then, after the bye they kill the Steelers and get hammered by the Chargers. None of those results are what people would have predicted based upon past results.

28 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

So many of these ‘streaks’ are mostly a result of favorable scheduling…they got the bottom barrel of the nfc south and the titans and browns missing nearly all of their offensive talent. This whole ‘injuries are no excuse’ cliche isn’t really relevant in this Covid/cap reduced year…I don’t think you can extrapolate much from the pats beating up on a titans team missing Derrick Henry,aj brown, and Julio jones. Pats win streak is over right there if that team is healthier.  Much like I don’t put a whole lot of stock in our win over the saints 

No doubt. We should learn a lot about the two teams tonight. 

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Logic, thank you for posting this.

I just came to this thread right now, deliberately looking for this type of information.

Here it is, 3:30pm and if the weather people are correct, it should be going crazy around the stadium by now.

Sounds like it is.

For those living in WNY and participating in this thread, please keep throwing out weather observations as you look out the window! 

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea that is very true…but we’re using past games to try to predict the outcome of a game that hasn’t happened yet so all these things become very relevant. Also two injuries on the offensive line specifically starts to get unmanageable…that is a really complex position and when you start shuffling guys around due to injury it gets very tough…so not all injuries are created equal. We were actually missing Knox as well for that jags game so that’s almost like missing three offensive linemen.  You may not have been advocating that but a large majority of people not just on this board seem to be and I think they will be pleasantly surprised with our run defense tonight…unless they’re patriots fans of course lol 

Certainly hope you are correct. Stopping the Pats run is certainly a big key to the Bills winning. No doubt, Star and Edmunds will be a huge addition. 

How will Star, Feliciano. and Brown perform? Will they be healthy enough to play at a high level? Will they suffer any lingering effects from being sick or being out? It's really not clear cut. How does the Bills secondary play without their star lockdown CB?  

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Hopefully the weather calms down by game time.

It is supposed calm down to an extent, but still gusting up to 35 mph throughout the entire game.

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Certainly hope you are correct. Stopping the Pats run is certainly a big key to the Bills winning. No doubt, Star and Edmunds will be a huge addition. 

How will Star, Feliciano. and Brown perform? Will they be healthy enough to play at a high level? Will they suffer any lingering effects from being sick or being out? It's really not clear cut. How does the Bills secondary play without their star lockdown CB?  

If the wind performs as advertised, we aren't going to miss Tre nearly as much as we might have.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

It is supposed calm down to an extent, but still gusting up to 35 mph throughout the entire game.

If the wind performs as advertised, we aren't going to miss Tre nearly as much as we might have.

I've been going back and forth on whether the wind is an advantage or disadvantage to the Bills. I'm thinking it's more of a disadvantage to the Bills because they are the superior passing team. Any thoughts?