December 6, 2021 Gameday Bills vs. Patriots* Pregame Thread

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not sure I completely agree with you assessment but it's fair response. Appreciate your point of view. I'd argue that you are making a lot of excuses and minimizing the Bills poor play and losses. Probably, the truth lies somewhere in between. 

Based on your post is it fair to say the Bills are ready to play? Fair to say win or lose no excuses? 

Why are the Pats exempt from critique?  They lost to Miami, they probably should have lost to Houston, they were held to mainly FG's by 2 other fairly bad teams.  They struggled mightily w/ TN until the end - and that team was missing all kinds of key players in both the running and passing game.

I feel like people here give the Pats too much credit, and the Bills not enough. Both teams have struggled at points this season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BRH said:

The storyline will be "wait til the Bills have to go to NE in a couple of weeks."

The national media isn't going to give up on the Pats* storyline without a fight.

I don't agree with the media bashing. The media was clearly all over the Bills jock pre season and early on. Almost everyone picking them to win the division and many had us going to the Super Bowl. Did anyone whine about that?  What changed? The Bills have played inconsistently (various reasons why), the Pats have won 6 games in a row and lead the division. Those are just the facts. Based on those facts it's not difficult to see why the media had changed its tone. I don't think there's really any media bias here. The media is almost always going to hop aboard the hit team. They will be quick to jump off the Pats bandwagon if they start losing. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

The two interesting stats I've seen come up today that have me encouraged (I know they've already been posted here, but I'm just mentioning that both are interesting and give me hope):

- Belichick's Pats are 0-6 post-Brady when going up against divisional opponents who are 3 games over .500 or more.
- McDermott's Bills are 7-2 against rookie QBs, and have never allowed one to throw for more than one touchdown against them

Here's hoping both stats/trends continue tonight.

Just now, Logic said:

The two interesting stats I've seen come up today that have me encouraged (I know they've already been posted here, but I'm just mentioning that both are interesting and give me hope):

- Belichick's Pats are 0-6 post-Brady when going up against divisional opponents who are 3 games over .500 or more.
- McDermott's Bills are 7-2 against rookie QBs, and have never allowed one to throw for more than one touchdown against them

Here's hoping both stats/trends continue tonight.

I hope so too, but the other stat is that BB is 0-0 in similar situations with Jones and McDermott is 0-0 against Jones. In other words, who knows?

5 hours ago, PolishDave said:

What scientific method do you use to come up with these percentages?   lol

So first the Patriots have a 40% chance of winning and the Bills win the other 35% - in that scenario the middle wins 25% of the time?

No wait....then you say....

20% chance the Bills win and only 5% chance the Patriots win?   I like those odds, I think... but who wins the other 75% of the time?

Wait...then you corrected yourself and said 55% chance the Bills win but only a 40% chance they lose.

The more I re-read your post and look at the percentages you posted the more insane the whole post is.   Thanks for giving me a chuckle this morning.

Bro,  I hope to be as drunk by game time as you already appear to be now. 🤣

lol, 40% pats mush us, 35% we mush them, 25% is left.  20% of that is us getting the win by some kind of struggle, 5% is them getting the win by some kind of struggle.

40 + 35 + 25 (bifurcated into 20 and 5 in my post) = 100

I'll write it in reverse polish notation

40 35+ 25+

see?!?!

1 minute ago, Blainorama5 said:

This was Jared Goff's girlfriend's reaction to that game-winning TD yesterday (she was on a photo shoot - obviously NOT in Detroit)

Would Brittany have a similar reaction if Josh wins tonight ???

Christen is one healthy girl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I hope so too, but the other stat is that BB is 0-0 in similar situations with Jones and McDermott is 0-0 against Jones. In other words, who knows?

I hear ya, and I'm generally in the "history doesn't matter, each game and season and situation is unique, who the heck knows?" camp, BUT...

I DO think something like looking at a particular coach's success against opposing rookie quarterbacks is instructional. McDermott and Frazier have demonstrated with significant consistency that they're good against opposing rookie QBs, and in football, if your quarterback doesn't play well, your chance at victory diminish considerably. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

This was Jared Goff's girlfriend's reaction to that game-winning TD yesterday (she was on a photo shoot - obviously NOT in Detroit)

My wife would be like "He did what? Who cares." :lol:

On another topic, I was at this game.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Really? How have the Pats struggled on a current six game winning streak? Lead the NFL in defense? Maybe I'm missing something...

I said "at points" - I didn't specify the last 6 games.  But the last 2, they struggled to score in the red zone - against one bad team, and one severely depleted team.

Are you putting all of your stock in the 6 game winning streak?  Which started against the Jets, included the Browns - who were missing their top 3 RB's, then the Falcons who are not good (and who they still struggled to score TD's against), then to a severely depleted Titans team who likely win that game if a LB grabs an easy pick 6 at the end of the 3rd.

That's the reason you're putting NE in this sort of barely beatable status, and the Bills as kind of a bumbling, inferior opponent by comparison?

37 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think we all knew we were in trouble for that colts game missing star and edmunds 

If I knew that Frank Reich gave an emotional speech before the game, and his team wanted to win it for him--as well as out of revenge for last year's playoff defeat--I would have thought we were in in even more trouble. Still, if McKittrick hadn't muffed that kickoff, the Bills might just have pulled it out. That was one of the worst-timed turnovers I've seen in awhile. 

17 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not sure I completely agree with you assessment but it's fair response. Appreciate your point of view. I'd argue that you are making a lot of excuses and minimizing the Bills poor play and losses. Probably, the truth lies somewhere in between. 

Based on your post is it fair to say the Bills are ready to play? Fair to say win or lose no excuses? 

Is it a ton of excuses? This whole narrative of we can’t stop the run is based on two games against generational type talents at rb that are running all over every team one game of which we were missing our two most important run stuffers. Not to mention Harrison Phillips was starting at DT with a torn PCL.  This stuff isn’t rocket science lol those guys are back this week so I’d expect to see a much more stout run defense.  Can we lose the game in another way? Yea maybe…but this whole oh no the colts whooped us so we have no chance because the pats offense is similar narrative is wildly exaggerated imo 

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't agree with the media bashing. The media was clearly all over the Bills jock pre season and early on. Almost everyone picking them to win the division and many had us going to the Super Bowl. Did any is of whine about that?  What changed? The Bills have played inconsistently (various reasons why), the Pats have won 6 games in a row and lead the division. Those are just the facts. Based on those facts it's not difficult to see why the media had changed its tone. I don't think there's really any media bias here. The media is almost always going to hop aboard the hit team. They will be quick to jump off the Pats bandwagon if they start losing. 

Exactly.  If the Bills smack the Pats hard enough, we will be right back on top of Super Bowl contender discussion.  Discussion will be Bills v TB as a Super Bowl preview.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Uh……..uh…….who’s Jared Goff? Pardon me, I need to be alone for a while to do research. Yeah, research, that’s it………

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No QB is really stellar in bad weather games.  The key is to be less bad then the QB on the other team.

People always say "Allen should be able to throw in any weather if he plays in Buffalo" or something along those lines. It's much more accurate to say that he's better equipped for bad weather & w/ his arm strength, will have an advantage in strong winds. But as you said, of course it's going to affect his play.

He has a distinct advantage over his overhyped counterpart in this one, because not only does he have a much stronger arm, but he has a lot more experience at this point playing in bad weather.  I think last week was the 1st "weather" game for Jones, and it was basically just flurries & mild wind.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Really? How have the Pats struggled on a current six game winning streak? Lead the NFL in defense? Maybe I'm missing something...

No the Pats aren't exempt from criticism. Early on they looked pretty bad on both sides of the ball. There QB is young and has a subpar arm. Their secondary can be beat. However, they are playing very well as a team. Their current form is hard to argue about. Can't really say the same about the Bills. They haven't been consistent since their bye. 

So many of these ‘streaks’ are mostly a result of favorable scheduling…they got the bottom barrel of the nfc south and the titans and browns missing nearly all of their offensive talent. This whole ‘injuries are no excuse’ cliche isn’t really relevant in this Covid/cap reduced year…I don’t think you can extrapolate much from the pats beating up on a titans team missing Derrick Henry,aj brown, and Julio jones. Pats win streak is over right there if that team is healthier.  Much like I don’t put a whole lot of stock in our win over the saints 

• Like (+1) 1