Patriots at Bills: Game Week Thread (v2)

BuffaloBillyG

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not just Breida.  There's been an effort to operate more from under center so as to create some doubt as to whether it's pass, play action, or run.   Breida also allows us to actually run outside the tackles.

Good point. That and running fewer RPOs. They are actually calling run plays in the huddle, tipping the OLmen that they need to run block. Always wonder what the OL is expected to do when an RPO is called.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Link to McD's presser.    today.

The Q/A I haven't seen covered in Media tweets was:

Katharine (Buff News reporter): "What have you seen out of Isaiah and Marquez in the return game this week, and is this something you want to solidify or will it be week to week for a bit?"

McDermott: "Yeah, We'll see.  I'm gonna keep my options open as far as that goes, I have confidence in both of those young men and anxious to continue to watch them grow"

That doesn't sound like "Benched for the Season" to me

I hope not.  That was the only thing I didnt like about the benching really.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Can you give us the same stats for the last 6 games played? I believe those stats are a more accurate picture of both teams; especially the Patriots. Remember, they were a work in progress with a very green QB. Something tells me the stats show the Pats have an advantage. Doesn't mean it translates on the field. Stats can be interpreted and minipulated in various ways. Additionally, they are unaccounted variables such as injuries. 

Yes lets only look at the stats during the win streak.  The first 5 games didnt count

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Certainly, the Bills defense presents problems for the young QB.  Any imput on the Bills pass rush? How effective will they be when Jones just dink and dunks the ball? I'm thinking the Bills crowd the line of scrimmage, bump their receivers and play physical, squat and jump the short routes. Don't the Bills have to try to force him hold the ball longer and throw longer passes? Is this something the Bills can be successful doing? 

This seems like something typically done with press coverage.  The Bills dont run that a lot I dont think.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Good point. That and running fewer RPOs. They are actually calling run plays in the huddle, tipping the OLmen that they need to run block. Always wonder what the OL is expected to do when an RPO is called.

This was covered in a thread, hmmm hmmm maybe after the Jags game?  Game where we ran a lot of RPOs.

My understanding is that in an RPO, the line run blocks, period.  The QB reads the conflict defender and passes if appropriate.

In theory, the OL just run blocks with vim and vigor as though it's a run play.  In practice, if they get too far downfield, it's a penalty, so that has to be on their mind.

According to the principle that the best way to get correct info on the internet, is to post something wrong, I feel certain someone will correct me if need be

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This was covered in a thread, hmmm hmmm maybe after the Jags game?  Game where we ran a lot of RPOs.

My understanding is that in an RPO, the line run blocks, period.  The QB reads the conflict defender and passes if appropriate.

In theory, the OL just run blocks with vim and vigor as though it's a run play.  In practice, if they get too far downfield, it's a penalty, so that has to be on their mind.

According to the principle that the best way to get correct info on the internet, is to post something wrong, I feel certain someone will correct me if need be

Yes I remember that thread. But run block how? This has been a bit of a conundrum for me. The RPO could be a handoff to a RB, Josh running or passing. Do they have a specific hole they are trying to open up for the running back. Is it zone blocking, pin and pull or some other blocking scheme. The thing is, I wonder what presnap info the OL is getting so they know how to block. I believe the RPO is useful if not over utilized, but with the multidimensional ways the play can be run it is evident the OLmen are often fighting a losing battle. I've seen Josh actually stick the ball in a RBs gut but not let go of the ball. The poor running back has no choice but to stop his forward progress and wait for Josh to let him go. Let the ball go.

Sometime's Josh keeps it himself and often, you can literally see Josh trying to make up his mind while the running back is standing there motionless waiting with the ball in his gut. Sometimes, I think the RPO is just a bad call. OLmen not knowing which way the play is going to go. Josh taking too long to make up his mind and all the while the defense is attacking.

I think the decision to have Josh take more snaps under center was a good decision. I see Josh handing the ball off more smoothly, giving the RB a better chance. I also see those RPOs are being run less frequently. There has been a shift in the way the offense is run in recent weeks and I have this itching feeling we are going to see something new this week. My mind is racing trying to figure out what it is:lol:. Will they pull a Chan Gailey and spread everyone out? Will they put 2 TEs on the field and play some smash mouth with NE. Pretty sure something is coming. Pretty sure it will be a plan that is aimed at improving the run game. But what? Just hope it isn't designed runs for Josh or an overabundance of RPOs.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Die hard Bills fan now living just north of Boston.  Have numerous bets with Pats fans on the game.   Small stuff a beer there a cocktail here.  They are sooo obnoxious about this game we need to win just so I can rub it in their smug faces.  I know this is all about me but dammit I need this.  

the thought of listening to their  bravado is too much.

can we get a guy Behind enemy lines a fricken win please! 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No designation for Star! It’s a Christmas miracle! 

We will have all of our starters on both lines IF Mongo is activated. 

So Ford seems to be a new addition to the "Questionable" game time designation, along with Obada.  (cue sad trombone joke about "always questionable")

I thought Gillislee might be questionable because he's been limited all week.

image.thumb.png.6ff06aa7950f62743c314e128041eed7.png

Pats injury report.  Given Belichick's questionable historical use of injury reports, I question the questionables

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/patriots-bills-week-thirteen-injury-report-final-edition-e2-80-94-eight-pats-e2-80-98questionable-e2-80-99-for-monday-night/ar-AARtlRJ

No word on Kyle Duggar.  It's my understanding he could be activated Monday if he's vaccinated, has no symptoms starting today through Monday, and tests negative 2x 24 hrs apart.  We don't know if he's vaccinated.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Patriots at Bills: Game Week Thread (v2)
On 12/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, freddyjj said:

Suit up, Mount Up and SHOW UP!

Bills Mafia and the Bills Players will be ready.  Should be a great game and come down to which team wants it more.  I like the Bills at home as believe the team reacts to being dissed and will play with a sense of urgency as this is biggest leverage point in determining who takes AFC East.

GO BILLS!

It will be a low scoring closely contested game. Neither team is winning by more than 3-4 points. If the Bills truly want this more, any ref interference shouldn't matter. Put 8-9 in the box and take away the run game. Pray Star, Brown and Feliciano can contribute. Josh take what they give you. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rockinon said:

Yes I remember that thread. But run block how? This has been a bit of a conundrum for me. The RPO could be a handoff to a RB, Josh running or passing. Do they have a specific hole they are trying to open up for the running back. Is it zone blocking, pin and pull or some other blocking scheme. The thing is, I wonder what presnap info the OL is getting so they know how to block.

My understanding is that the RPO is usually a run or a pass, but I suppose it could be a "triple option".  I think that's rare, for the reason you allude to - the OL needs to know what play to block.  The blocking scheme is part of the play call, and that's what the OL does whether it is gap or zone. 

For that reason, I think it's either a pass, or a run but the play design is either Josh runs or the back runs, not both.  Sometimes Josh scrambles instead of passing, just as he does with every pass play. 

That's just my understanding though.

I've seen Josh actually stick the ball in a RBs gut but not let go of the ball. The poor running back has no choice but to stop his forward progress and wait for Josh to let him go.

Lamar Jackson does this too - it's part of selling the RPO, and if it's done correctly it doesn't slow the back down.

Sometime's Josh keeps it himself and often, you can literally see Josh trying to make up his mind while the running back is standing there motionless waiting with the ball in his gut.

If he does this, it's poor execution on his part and he needs to be coached up.

Sometimes, I think the RPO is just a bad call. OLmen not knowing which way the play is going to go.

I'm not saying you're not right in practice, and even at its best I do think there is a fear about getting too far downfield that keeps the OL from really attacking, but to my understanding the premise of the RPO is that the OLmen run block on an RPO, period, and they run block for one blocking scheme.  So it's not (in theory) the "not knowing which way the play is going to go" you portray, it's just if the timing is off the OL could get too far downfield and a penalty.

The Patriots, BTW, have 28 plays designated by PFR as "RPOs" of which 0 are runs.  I'm not sure how this is being defined.

I think the decision to have Josh take more snaps under center was a good decision. I see Josh handing the ball off more smoothly, giving the RB a better chance.

I agree.  Josh is literally a magician - he does slight-of-hand magic tricks as a hobby - and in some games where he's under center, the cameraman can't tell where the ball has gone, and neither can the defense.  He's improved dramatically at these handoffs and at his footwork under center, and it's good to take advantage of that.

I also see those RPOs are being run less frequently. There has been a shift in the way the offense is run in recent weeks and I have this itching feeling we are going to see something new this week. My mind is racing trying to figure out what it is:lol:. Will they pull a Chan Gailey and spread everyone out? Will they put 2 TEs on the field and play some smash mouth with NE. Pretty sure something is coming. Pretty sure it will be a plan that is aimed at improving the run game. But what? Just hope it isn't designed runs for Josh or an overabundance of RPOs.

You never know what you're going to get with Daboll, but I hope he doesn't outsmart himself.

We probably need some designed runs for Josh, but he needs to GET OOB or GET DOWN, and if he scrambles, he can not hold the ball like a ***** chunk of tuna waving about over the Orca tank at Seaworld waiting for the killer whales to broach and strip it from his hand.

1 hour ago, Behindenemylines said:

Die hard Bills fan now living just north of Boston.  Have numerous bets with Pats fans on the game.   Small stuff a beer there a cocktail here.  They are sooo obnoxious about this game we need to win just so I can rub it in their smug faces.  I know this is all about me but dammit I need this.  

the thought of listening to their  bravado is too much.

can we get a guy Behind enemy lines a fricken win please! 

Zero-six, you've been shot down, life is tough. You're a combat aviator g-d Bills fan! Start acting like one! Remember your training, put some angles between you and your pursuers. Evade and survive and we will bring you home a win.

MhtvhT.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, balln said:

dunno this has colts vibes all over. weather not so good. and pats = colts run first / physical on the lines. dont like this matchup with this weather

I belive a huge difference worth noting is that the Pats don't have Jonathan Taylor. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Boy, the reporters are really going after Dawson Knox about the Bills recent record

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/dawson-knox-each-game-has-a-life-of-its-own

Bet he's sorry he agreed to talk to the press after practice.  Question starts about 40 sec in.  Dawson says that he feels they have some good momentum coming off the New Orleans win, he has confidence in their game plan and all the other guys feel the same, etc.  Reporter lights into him about 'we've heard this before and then you've been up and down, up and down, why should we believe you this time'.

🤯

43 minutes ago, balln said:

dunno this has colts vibes all over. weather not so good. and pats = colts run first / physical on the lines. dont like this matchup with this weather

Hopefully they’ve learned something from the Colts game and come into this one with some adjustments. But you never know…

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In view of all the work required on this end, your sarcasm was given its due appreciation by me.  What exactly that means is left as an exercise by the intelligent reader.

Erik Turner's wife says "drink until your husband looks like Matt Milano" *heh* 😇

It's not just Breida.  There's been an effort to operate more from under center so as to create some doubt as to whether it's pass, play action, or run.   Breida also allows us to actually run outside the tackles.

Do we think or have heard anything about Moss being active along with Motor and Brieda as an adjustment to pending weather? 

50 minutes ago, eball said:

So who’s with me on watching the Manningcast over the main broadcast?

Love the show when I dont care about the game.  Too distracting for me to watch during a Bills game.  Hell the GDT here sometimes gets too distracting for me so I try to stay away from that too lol.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The SI's MMQB is consistently one of the better reads. ... Tampa Bay, how low can you go, how far can you prostitute yourself, in chasing the ring? Come on? Richard Sherman and Antonio Brown on the same team? And someone purposely gives these two a microphone and internet time? Wow!

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

Edited by CSBill

7 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I have taped the Manningcast and watched it later, but I couldn’t possibly watch it instead of the main broadcast in a game that I care about.

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Love the show when I dont care about the game.  Too distracting for me to watch during a Bills game.  Hell the GDT here sometimes gets too distracting for me so I try to stay away from that too lol.

Yeah, I’m kind of the opposite.  The Mannings offer “real” insight into what’s going on, and most of the time the regular broadcasters are annoying to me anyway.  I’m going to try it; I’ll let you know how it goes.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, nucci said:

every time it's on...Riddick, Griese and Levy are awful

During the Titans game earlier in the year it seriously seemed like they were actively rooting for the Titans the further the game went on…. And I had numerous friends that are fans of other teams texting me and asking if I noticed as it was happening. 

After the Pats love fest all week I can only imagine how slanted their call on this game will be. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, balln said:

I understand the weather comparisons  outside of that I think you are working off perceptions verse statistics thus far. The Pats are behind the Bills in rushing and run D is the weak point in their defense so far. The Pats gave up over two hundred yards rushing to Tenn last week, without D Henry. I’m not saying this translates into the Bills running wild on the Pats, but sometimes we allow our previous experiences to cloud present reality.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.