John Brown released from 3rd team

CorkScrewHill

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Some guys just need the right team, he needed to be here or the chiefs for the long ball.

I don't think it's a "right team" issue. 

Something is up - he didn't seem to regain his speed after the calf injury last season, maybe there is permanent damage

Or maybe it's a different issue.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's a "right team" issue. 

Something is up - he didn't seem to regain his speed after the calf injury last season, maybe there is permanent damage

Or maybe it's a different issue.

My guess: the countless minor injuries plus a couple of more major ones add up over time, and once you're 30 or so and are running a 4.5, you aren't going to be wanted by teams looking for an answer at speed receiver.  

SmokeY asked for his release from the Raiduhs and Broncos because he wasn't going to start.  So right now, the NFL as a whole feels that there are 128 (32X4) receivers better than him in the league.  With him only on the Jagoffs practice squad that number balloons to 192 (32X6) receivers in the league better than SmokeY.  I'm not buying it.  Dude has sure hands and could help a team down the stretch.  He ain't "a smolderin' in the grave" just yet.  

15 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I was not a big fan of letting him go … but the fact that the Raiders, Broncos, and Jaguars have all had him on their team and subsequently cut him is shocking and perhaps indicates there is a decline that theBills front office noticed before making the cut.

Best wishes to him .. truly appreciated his contributions while he was with the Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jaguars-release-john-brown-from-practice-squad/ar-AARh3q5

Smoke had two very good seasons in Buffalo and was a huge part in Josh’s development at QB.  

With that being said, I think the “Bills miss John Brown” crowd is a bit overstated.  Their best offensive performances came last season when Brown wasn’t in the lineup.  He did run the WR screen very well.  Outside of that, I don’t think he’s as missed as some let on

53 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Smoke had two very good seasons in Buffalo and was a huge part in Josh’s development at QB.  

With that being said, I think the “Bills miss John Brown” crowd is a bit overstated.  Their best offensive performances came last season when Brown wasn’t in the lineup.  He did run the WR screen very well.  Outside of that, I don’t think he’s as missed as some let on

What's not overstated is that the WR corps has lost a lot off of it's fastball this season.    Certainly don't see people talking about them being "the best in the league" like we constantly heard on here last year, that's for damnsher.

Sanders was supposed to be a big improvement over "2020 injured Brown"........that's not really been the case to this point...........mainly because he needs more time to set up his specialty, the intermediate routes......while Brown had more of a high-low combination because of his quickness.

That's fine when the line has been giving Allen time,  but with the pass blocking a mess Sanders has been almost entirely erased for the last month.    

But it's A LOT more than that..........Davis has regressed so far this season..........and Beasley is producing a pathetic, runnin' back-like 8.5 yards per reception.

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think we can be done with John Brown now. It's time to let him go.

You can't tell this board of Fitzpatrick super fan club members to let any former players go. I can only imagine the flash flood of salty tears when he retires. We should all probably invest in high water pants now while some sites are still running Cyber Monday deals. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

My guess: the countless minor injuries plus a couple of more major ones add up over time, and once you're 30 or so and are running a 4.5, you aren't going to be wanted by teams looking for an answer at speed receiver.  

The thing is...for us, Brown was a really really solid route runner overall.  Super solid.

I suspect something is wrong, but don't feel it would serve anyone to speculate on what.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is...for us, Brown was a really really solid route runner overall.  Super solid.

I suspect something is wrong, but don't feel it would serve anyone to speculate on what.

Don't get me wrong - I was a fan of his and defended his play last year. He was reasonably productive in the games that he played.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sanders was supposed to be a big improvement over "2020 injured Brown"........that's not really been the case to this point...........mainly because he needs more time to set up his specialty, the intermediate routes......while Brown had more of a high-low combination because of his quickness.

Well, first off, credit where credit is due....I recall you expressing concern pre-season that Sanders was adding "more of the same" to the team in the sense of an intermediate route runner vs. a change-up in the sense of a true deep threat or a big physical guy, and that the Bills offense might regret that. 

I thought (and think) the logic of the addition was to double-up on the intermediate area where Allen can be deadly dangerous; blanket Beasley and Diggs, or Sanders and Diggs, but not Beasley and Sanders and Diggs.  That logic was premised on the Bills having a functional run game to prevent D's from keying on the pass, and a good pass blocking OL, so when neither of those came to pass - You were right.  A better COP RB, a stout guard, or a speedster closer to being a functional WR would all have served the Bills better.

Don't let it go to your head. 😆

That's fine when the line has been giving Allen time,  but with the pass blocking a mess Sanders has been almost entirely erased for the last month.    

Eh, I think it's more than the pass blocking mess - with his boo-boo foot pre-season, I think Sanders and Allen are just not on the same page in the Bills route-option defense as much as they need to be, and Sanders is having trouble adjusting to Allen's fastball.  5 of 8, 0 of 4, 4 of 8, No Bueno when the guy's getting 92%, 77%, 99% of the snaps. 

The last 3 games, they've cut down on Sanders snaps (60, 79, 77%) and his targets (2, 5, 3) and he's been catching more of what's thrown his way.  Which brings us to...

But it's A LOT more than that..........Davis has regressed so far this season..........

By what metric or standard has Davis regressed?  I think actually, when he's gotten the opportunity, he's improved.  Unless by regression, you mean "seeing the field less".

Last season, Davis got 73% of the offensive snaps overall, 797 snaps.  He had 62 targets and 35 receptions (56.5%)  for 599 yds (17.1 y/r) and was scored with 3 drops.  That's essentially 0.75 yds/snap or receptions on 4.4% of his snaps.  He averaged 3.7 yds after contact per reception.  He was a good blocker downfield.

This season, Davis has seen his playing time cut in favor of Knox and Sanders.  He has gotten 38% or 286 of the offensive snaps.  He has 27 targets and 17 receptions (63%) for 312 yds (18.4 y/r), still scored with 3 drops.  That's 1.09 yds/snap or receptions on 5.4% of his snaps.  He is averaging 4.6 yds after contact per reception.  He is if anything, a better blocker than last year and still the best blocker among the WR. 

I think in terms of catch %, y/r, receptions per snap, and frankly eyeball test, Davis has not regressed but has actually improved a bit.  His opportunities have been more limited.  But I've been saying for a while that I thought some of Sanders snaps should go to Davis.  Sanders is only producing slightly more receptions per snap (5.9%), he has a lower catch % than Davis (59% vs 63%), he has lower YAC (1.9 YAC/reception). 

I think if Sanders had a few less snaps per game to put less load on his 34 yr old bod, and Davis had a few more, it would benefit both of them and the Bills.  It would potentially help the outside run and screen game with Breida by putting a better blocking WR on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

What's not overstated is that the WR corps has lost a lot off of it's fastball this season.    Certainly don't see people talking about them being "the best in the league" like we constantly heard on here last year, that's for damnsher.

But it's A LOT more than that..........Davis has regressed so far this season..........and Beasley is producing a pathetic, runnin' back-like 8.5 yards per reception.

Well imo Sanders may not be a "big" improvement over Brown, but to me he has been an improvement so far. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By what metric or standard has Davis regressed?  I think actually, when he's gotten the opportunity, he's improved.  Unless by regression, you mean "seeing the field less".

Yeah regress is the wrong choice of words.   Davis is still the same caliber of receiver but has been less productive and impactful on a game to game basis.   Which I think is as attributable to him suffering another ankle injury early in the year as it is Sanders being active every week or even Knox emergence.    If he were healthy earlier I suspect he'd have gotten a lot more snaps.   

Beasley on the other hand.........he's clearly been a lesser player than last season.    Hopefully he can finish strong but his ypr is just pathetic this season.   

Yeah regress is the wrong choice of words.   Davis is still the same caliber of receiver but has been less productive and impactful on a game to game basis.   Which I think is as attributable to him suffering another ankle injury early in the year as it is Sanders being active every week or even Knox emergence.    If he were healthy earlier I suspect he'd have gotten a lot more snaps.

Could be a good point.  He hasn't been on injury report but now that you mention it, one of the media guys - Sal C maybe? commented that one of the recent games was the first one where he didn't think Davis looked hampered. 

Davis played a lot in the Pittsburgh game then his snaps went way down - I had assumed that was related to Daboll getting a "reality check" handed to him that he couldn't just keep throwing 4 and 5 wide formations out there and Oh yeah, Knox is looking pretty good.  But there certainly could be an element of "heal up, guy".

Beasley on the other hand.........he's clearly been a lesser player than last season.    Hopefully he can finish strong but his ypr is just pathetic this season.   

I actually looked into this a bit, and I believe it is related to how his routes are being run and with being asked to operate in the flats some. 

His YAC is down a bit - about 0.6 yds - but the real plunge is in his YBC.  So yes, pathetic, but I think at least in part that has less to do with Beas himself and more to do with trying to design routes for a quicker passing game that can find completions before protections break down.

Of course since the 2nd Dolphins game where he got speared - he's pretty clearly playing hampered.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

I was not a big fan of letting him go … but the fact that the Raiders, Broncos, and Jaguars have all had him on their team and subsequently cut him is shocking and perhaps indicates there is a decline that theBills front office noticed before making the cut.

Best wishes to him .. truly appreciated his contributions while he was with the Bills

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/jaguars-release-john-brown-from-practice-squad/ar-AARh3q5

3 teams..this season---4 if you count the Bills in March.  Dude's been let go by 6 teams in a career of 8 seasons.

He barely climbed over 1000 yards in a year where it was basically just him and Beasley.  Once Diggs and even Gabe showed up it was over for Brown--who was getting chased down by LBs at that point.  He's not injured now, but ho one has any use for him on their roster.  He was a flash in the pan.  The best option when there were few options.  

On 11/29/2021 at 7:16 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

He was just signed by tampa

On 11/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

The passing game is not what it was last year.....probably more than one factor, not sure where to find the data but I think over the course of the season, he had more time to throw last year.  Davis's numbers are down but he has not regressed, he has just had less opportunities.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Wr will be a big need next year. Sanders and Beasley may both be gone. Gabe looks good but sometimes isn't focused every week. Josh will need more targets.

I really think Davis will make the "3rd season jump" that Knox has made this years. Still I think adding another WR in FA is a need. Maybe even drafting one in the middle rounds if the value is there. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.