2017 Re-Draft - What would you do?

YoloinOhio

2017 Draft and aftermath   

258 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still trade the 10th pick for pick 27 and 2018 1st knowing that pick could have been Mahomes?

• Yes, I want Tre White and the pick that helped get Allen
    • No, I would have taken Mahomes there
  2. 2. Would you rather have Mahomes as your QB, or Josh Allen as your QB plus Tre White CB1

3. 3. If the Bills had drafted Mahomes in 2017, do you think the Bills would have won a SB by now?

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

'Josh will prove out to be the better of the two when they are both retired. "

To the quote above, from baadthings, I simply stated Josh was way behind Mahomes. I don't get the "calm" thing going on. Or even the "truculent" thing. You came at me for my reply to someone else. I'm fine. 

As of right now Mahomes has been the better QB. SB MVP, NFL MVP, better record, more wins, etc. To get to the point of being the better of the two, when both have retired, Josh has a lot of ground to make up. Hence, he's way behind. 

Back to this"truculent" thing, looking back on this... are you the pot calling the kettle black? If you can't honestly answer yes, don't bother.

The topic of the OP is regards to a redraft and the relative merits of each qb and who one would draft, etc. I took that to be the general context in which case, as I think I have indicated, I don't think Josh is way behind. I anticipated your apparent criteria, which does not seem to me to fit the topic that I surmised was the actual context in which one should interpret your contribution to this thread. You seem unduly exercised over truculent. I have explained why it seemed to me an appropriate word. I don't think most folks would have taken such umbrage, but perhaps not. Have a good one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The 2017 Chiefs were 6th in points scored and 5th in yards. Hunt led the league in rushing at 1300+. Hill was a Probowl 1200 yd wr. Kelce was a 1000 yd probowl TE.... Mahomes absolutely stepped into it... He's also an awesome QB.

The Chiefs were productive but highly inconsistent........they didn't spend $16M per on Sammy Watkins after that season because they thought Kelce and Hill were enough........they hadn't been enough to advance in the playoffs despite a very well regarded, productive QB.   The Bills had no problem shutting them down in KC that season either.........and that was immediately after the worst 3 game defensive stretch if franchise history.   

Now the 2016 Bills..........they had EXCELLENT offensive numbers.

Going into the finale (where they tanked by benching Tyrod) they were 7th in the NFL in scoring,  lead the NFL in rushing for the second straight season,  lead the NFL in big plays (with over 100 plays of 20+ yards) for the second straight season.........and despite all that talent they had produced the fewest turnovers thru 15 games of any team since the AFL/NFL merger.  

So the idea that Mahomes could only have inherited bad talent in Buffalo is a fallacy.........there was a lot of talent on those Whaley/Rex teams.

The Bills chose to re-organize........the Chiefs chose to trade up for a QB and keep their frustrating/disappointing roster intact........including the highly controversial Tyreek Hill....... to see what the stud young QB could do with it.

They kept it together and have had home field advantage in each of the last 3 AFC playoffs,  won the AFC twice and a Super Bowl.

It's easy to say you'd rather be in the Bills shoes right now when KC is struggling against a tough schedule after 3 straight years of conference domination..........but if any fanbase should know that a SB-in-hand is worth a dynasty in the bush it's Bills fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m extremely happy with the state of our team. Wouldn’t change a thing.  We’ll get ours

You wouldn't even have traded up for Travis Etienne?  C'mon, man.

(I always have to keep in mind that half of the people responding to these threads would draft a running back in round 1. :lol:)

4490e0c0-4643-11ea-be3f-d674fea5fc24

Lotta' lyin' and denyin' going on in this thread. 😉

It's about winning it all.

I'm enjoying every moment of this season, cuz that's how I am,  but as a fan of teams who have won titles........unless you have some mental illness where you are more engaged by feeling bad for yourself.........winning one makes everything that much more enjoyable thereafter.    

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

(I always have to keep in mind that half of the people responding to these threads would draft a running back in round 1. :lol:)

I'm enjoying every moment of this season, cuz that's how I am,  but as a fan of teams who have won titles........unless you have some mental illness where you are more engaged by feeling bad for yourself.........winning one makes everything that much more enjoyable thereafter.    

In a 2017 draft “do over” I’d take Mahomes IF we were guaranteed to have won a super bowl in his first 3 years.  I don’t think it’s a given that Mahomes would’ve won one.  I doubt that we would have, jmo.  

considering that we can’t just award us a Lombardi in a make believe world in which we would’ve drafted Mahomes, I’m happy with our decisions.  

I definitely didn’t have my heart set on Etienne.  I remember being pretty happy when Jacksonville drafted him. At one point, predraft, I remember thinking that we needed speed @ Rb.  Someone that can be a threat to score anytime he touches the ball.  We then signed Brieda prior to the draft, so I didn’t think we should/would consider rb rd 1. 

Kenneth Gainwell instead Tommy Doyle would’ve been nice imo.  

This thread is such BS. Posted after a bad Mahomes performance. One of the few in his career. 

first of all, Mahomes would go first overall in a re-draft, followed by Watson and White would be gone by the 10th pick. 

Second, if we had picked Mahomes. We would love him. And as long as Allen wasn’t picked by an AFC east team the following year we wouldn’t hate him as much as some hate Mahomes now.

Mahomes would have come in for Tyrod instead of Nathan freaking Peterman. We ended up losing to the team that almost made it to the super bowl. Do you believe the upgrade from Tyrod to Mahomes would have made the difference? That’s a much better question than any you asked. 

Third, you’re framing the second question as if we wouldn’t have two players instead of the picks we used to acquire Allen. That’s just plain dishonest.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The topic of the OP is regards to a redraft and the relative merits of each qb and who one would draft, etc. I took that to be the general context in which case, as I think I have indicated, I don't think Josh is way behind. I anticipated your apparent criteria, which does not seem to me to fit the topic that I surmised was the actual context in which one should interpret your contribution to this thread. You seem unduly exercised over truculent. I have explained why it seemed to me an appropriate word. I don't think most folks would have taken such umbrage, but perhaps not. Have a good one.

I often take umbrage to help with my truculent .. I guess it is an age thing but those umbrage really do the trick

10 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I often take umbrage to help with my truculent .. I guess it is an age thing but those umbrage really do the trick

Just make sure you get the generic umbrage, because the brand name umbrage is priced out of sight.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Second, if we had picked Mahomes. We would love him. And as long as Allen wasn’t picked by an AFC east team the following year we wouldn’t hate him as much as some hate Mahomes now.

Probably not hate, but there would be a lot of mockery of Allen on this board. Just like how we see fans from across the league continue to mock Allen as inaccurate, dumb and a running back. 

The take away with Mahomes and the Chiefs struggling is that Mahomes is not the God QB that so many made him out to be. It's clear he can be kept in check and even more clear is that the league has a handful of young QB's that are putting themselves on Mahomes level. Murray and Allen are there now.  And even younger QB's like Herbert and Burrow look like they can get there.

We all knew that Mahomes was put in the best opporutnity in NFL history for a young QB to start and succeed right away. Credit to Mahomes that he put up one of the greatest seasons ever out of the gate in his second year. The question left on answered was weather or not any other QB's could catch Mahomes if Mahomes situation declined a bit and the others got better. So far it looks like the answer is yes. Mahomes is still great but he is no longer at the top by himself looking down on the other QB's.

12 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Mahomes would have come in for Tyrod instead of Nathan freaking Peterman. We ended up losing to the team that almost made it to the super bowl. Do you believe the upgrade from Tyrod to Mahomes would have made the difference? That’s a much better question than any you asked. 

How would have Mahomes faired against the leagues #1 defense as a rookie throwing to KB, Charles Clay, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes? Impossible to say since we never saw Mahomes in meaningful action his rookie year and we've yet to see him put up all world numbers without a great receiving corps. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

i wouldnt say its lyin loll i think the general sentiment with mahomes this year thats not even exclusive to this board is hes great but hes benefitting greatly from the outrageous offensive talent around him.  I cant imagine what Allen could do with someone like Kelce on the roster...its a shame Knox got hurt just when he started playing well.    Mahomes struggled in a few games late last year too and hes looked pretty mortal this year.  maybe they will figure it all out and everyone will look stupid but at this point i dont think plopping mahomes on the bill roster the last few years wouldve won us a super bowl.

I wanted the massage enthusiast Watson in that draft, considering that Tre' has been great and Watson's career and life are in limbo, we made the right choice. Getting Josh and Tre2 the next year was the icing on the cake.

If we had drafted Mahomes, we may have gone to the Super Bowl, and lost, last year. With another year under his belt, Josh should get us there this year.

44 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

i wouldnt say its lyin loll i think the general sentiment with mahomes this year thats not even exclusive to this board is hes great but hes benefitting greatly from the outrageous offensive talent around him.  I cant imagine what Allen could do with someone like Kelce on the roster...its a shame Knox got hurt just when he started playing well.    Mahomes struggled in a few games late last year too and hes looked pretty mortal this year.  maybe they will figure it all out and everyone will look stupid but at this point i dont think plopping mahomes on the bill roster the last few years wouldve won us a super bowl.

As I said.......nobody was saying that Kelce and Hill were an "outrageous" offensive tandem when they played with Alex Smith at QB.   That's why they paid top dollar for Sammy in free agency in 2018.

I suggest anyone that has game pass go back and watch that 2017 game between the Chiefs and Bills...........the quality of QB play from the above average and productive Alex Smith to the spectacular Patrick Mahomes was immense.   The Bills defense forced the Chiefs skill players into positions where they knew Alex Smith would struggle to get them the ball,  effectively neutralizing their offense.

2018 Mahomes playing in that game would have blown the Bills doors off that day.   The weapons are nice but his ability to make throws that can't be defensed has been a game changer.   If you don't think the situation is similar here with Allen you are wrong.   He makes throws all the time that allow guys like Diggs and Sanders and Knox to run routes that are impossible to defense.   People don't appreciate the difficulty of plays like the TD throw to Diggs late in the Arizona game last season.......or even the over shoulder TD pass to Sanders in KC two weeks ago.   Those are plays only a great thrower of the football can make and they make the skill players look that much more dynamic. 

We are the best team in the AFC right now.  The same AFC that has Mahomes in it.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Mahomes walked into a Super Bowl roster day 1.  Allen walked into the NFL raw with a bottom third roster.  

It took longer for Allen and the team around him to get the same level as Mahomes and the Chiefs, but we are there now and we are better than they currently are.  In fact, we are built to be better for a sustained period of time.  

Until we win a SB too, the case will always be able to be made for Mahomes.  Even though its ridiculous to even suggest Mahomes would have won a SB as fast as he did with the roster he would have had here during that time.  

But once we win a SB, and mark my words, we will.  This topic will never be a valid question again.  Allen finished ahead of Mahomes in the MVP voting last year, and certainly will again this year...he is already on his level.  Now throw in one of the best defenders in the league in Tre, and its clear Allen + Tre > Mahomes in terms of the team build.  Not to mention, we also wouldn't have Edmunds had we not made those trades.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

This thread is such BS. Posted after a bad Mahomes performance. One of the few in his career. 

first of all, Mahomes would go first overall in a re-draft, followed by Watson and White would be gone by the 10th pick. 

Third, you’re framing the second question as if we wouldn’t have two players instead of the picks we used to acquire Allen. That’s just plain dishonest.

Agreed. I love Allen. If you asked me last year, I would have probably gone Mahomes and not really blinked. 

This year, I don't really give a shirt one way or the other. I am thrilled with both. 

To add to your points, it all depends on how far back you go with it. Allen and Tre or Mahomes and Vita Vea?

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

nobody was saying that Kelce and Hill were an "outrageous" offensive tandem when they played with Alex Smith at QB.

I mean this is just not true. Alex Smith suddenly had a career resurgence with KC and everyone gave credit to the combo of Hill and Kelce and Andy Reid. Obviously Mahomes is a much better QB than Smith and has pushed that offense's ceiling to the sky. But the talent was always there.

I have no clue what Mahomes would look like throwing to a WR tandem of John Brown, Duke Williams, and Cole Beasley, but it wouldn't be a 5000 yard performance. I can guarantee that.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's why they paid top dollar for Sammy in free agency in 2018.

And now they lost him and suddenly the offense is looking more like it did with Alex Smith at the helm, unable to move the ball consistently without hitting big plays downfield. This point contradicts your argument.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I mean this is just not true. Alex Smith suddenly had a career resurgence with KC and everyone gave credit to the combo of Hill and Kelce and Andy Reid. Obviously Mahomes is a much better QB than Smith and has pushed that offense's ceiling to the sky. But the talent was always there.

I have no clue what Mahomes would look like throwing to a WR tandem of John Brown, Duke Williams, and Cole Beasley, but it wouldn't be a 5000 yard performance. I can guarantee that.

And now they lost him and suddenly the offense is looking more like it did with Alex Smith at the helm, unable to move the ball consistently without hitting big plays downfield. This point contradicts your argument.

I will push back so hard on the argument that Mahomes suddenly doesn’t have enough weapons. It’s such an obvious rewrite.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

GTFOH with that nonsense. :lol:

Alex Smith didn't have a career resurgence in KC.   He was having an excellent season in SF in 2012........including putting up over 600 yards of offense against Buffalo(worst defensive game in Bills history, how could you forget who the QB was).......before an injury ended his season and he was traded to KC that offseason.

His completion % dropped from 70% to 60% in his first year in KC and his yards per attempt fell from 8.0 to 6.5.   That's A LOT if you didn't know.

The next season the Chiefs with Andy Reid and Alex Smith at the helm became the only team since the merger to not throw a single touchdown pass to a wide receiver.

All the while,  he was a steady and productive QB.

He had an excellent year in 2017 but the team was only 9-6 in his starts.    He also had the benefit of the league's leading rusher.......a near 2,000 yard all purpose season from Kareem Hunt........and a top 10 defense.

And they promptly lost in the WC round yet again.

Mahomes inherited a dynamic offense but didn't get the same Kareem Hunt.    The Chiefs defense also fell off significantly in 2018.

Mahomes lead a lesser team to the #1 seed in the conference.    He was the difference maker.

I'm not saying the Chiefs didn't set him up to succeed but the notion that they were overwhelming the league offensively prior to drafting Mahomes is not true.   In fact, the 2016 Bills offense was BETTER than the 2016 Chiefs offense.   The Bills chose to tear it down and not select a QB that spring.

First of all...there was nobody on the Buffalo Bills staff in 2017 or on most of the NFL staffs that identified Patrick Mahones as the QB we have seen in the NFL the last few seasons.  

No other QB that has come out of that "Texas Tech Air Raid" offense that has developed into anything near what we see in Mahomes. 

Andy Reid had the talent to develop that QB. And he saw the talent and sat Mahomes for an entire season so he could sit and learn the scheme. That 2017 KC team was an already playoff team going 10-6 and had been so since 2013. Kareem Hunt, Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill all already there. 

Mahomes in Buffalo in 2017 would have been a train wreck...would Mahomes have sat behind Tyrod or start? Bills starting receivers, WR Kelvin Benjamin, WR Deonte Thompson, TE Charles Clay...:sick:

Would the soon to be fired Bills OC Rick Dennison know how to develop Mahomes...

I have no idea why some Bills fans are STILL lamenting not drafting Mahomes.

The Buffalo Bills have the perfect player at QB for them! Big, tall, strongest arm, big hands...played at Wyoming, so no stranger to throw in the snow.

Most Buffalo Bills fans now have an ongoing love affair with a young man named Josh Allen. :wub:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2017-nfl-draft-deshone-kizer-mitch-trubisky-top-qb-prospects-0ap3000000787378

Weaknesses: Despite his ridiculous production as a starter for two-plus years at Texas Tech, Mahomes is still viewed as a questionable quarterback prospect due to the pass-happy approach employed by the Red Raiders. As mentioned above, the Air Raid system rarely produces effective NFL products, and Mahomes' inexperience running a traditional offense could stunt his growth at the next level.

In addition, Mahomes' sloppy footwork and mechanics will need to be retooled before he can become a more accurate passer from the pocket. Sure, he was able to overcome his shoddy technique as a collegian, but NFL defenders will make him pay for his errant tosses by snagging picks off tips or overthrows. Given the impact of turnovers on the outcome of NFL games, Mahomes' sloppy footwork must be addressed to help him play winning football at the position.

On 10/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Dr. Who said:

The topic of the OP is regards to a redraft and the relative merits of each qb and who one would draft, etc. I took that to be the general context in which case, as I think I have indicated, I don't think Josh is way behind. I anticipated your apparent criteria, which does not seem to me to fit the topic that I surmised was the actual context in which one should interpret your contribution to this thread. You seem unduly exercised over truculent. I have explained why it seemed to me an appropriate word. I don't think most folks would have taken such umbrage, but perhaps not. Have a good one.

I know what the original topic was, but I did respond to a "particular" post from someone other than the OP. The response was specific to a baaadthings post. Did you not notice that?! While in the middle of posting that I am truculent, you should have been looking in the mirror. You were the truculent person here, not I. You were the one who was quick to argue with me... Over the original post, when it was clear my comment was not in relation to the OP's post. Go back to your 1st response to me and tell me that's not the case. As to the underlined above, be careful when surmising, it could be like when someone ass/u/mes.  If that's what you surmised, you were wrong. Don't forget, my initial contribution to this thread was a comment made directly to someone else and you decided to jump in. And you were rather truculent in doing so. 

Edit: Compare your 1st comment to me vs. my comment to baadthings and you will see you were the truculent one here. As to the text in blue, you come off as someone trying too hard to impress others with your use of extensive vocabulary. Use the word correctly or you come off as a dumb@&& trying to be a smart@&&.  

Edited by Dopey

The Bills were better of for their timeline to draft a QB in 2018 as opposed to 2017. Yes the Bills could have benched Mahomes for year one and stuck with Tyrod a decent vet. But in 2018 the Bills had to eat a lot of dead cap related to Dareus, InCog and Wood's retirement and other various bad cap contracts either being cut, traded or expiring. In 2018 the Bills simply were not equipped to put a competitive team around a QB. It was far better they were starting with a rookie in 2018 than having a player on his second year thrown to the wolves. By 2019 the Bills were in a position to surround a QB with talent and having Josh only being on his second year of a rookie deal was the perfect timing. Add in getting White and Edumonds to help build a defense and you have a better recipe for success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.