[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not looking for more things to bother me. I have enough. If and when more comes out I’ll look at that and decide what to think. I’m not going to hate on the old, rich white guys for no solid reason like some other people. I do not resent successful people just for their success. 

When a Jerry Richardson or Donald Sterling story appears, I expect them to get what they deserve. Yes, the NFL and NBA have booted OWNERS for poor behavior. They are not above scrutiny.  I think it’s ill advised to just want to “OPEN UP EVERYTHING”.  I think it’s also unfair. 

I was clear that I’ve never liked Gruden based on public and personal experience. I have no such dislike for anyone else in the NFL. If we get to open up their lives, maybe we should all do the same. I have nothing to hide, but it just feels wrong without some cause. Given cause, you get what you deserve. 

I guess what I'm questioning is the without some cause part. As far as I can tell there was no cause to be looking into Gruden. He was the dolphin that got caught in the tuna net. I could be 100% wrong but I suspect there are other much bigger dolphins in the net too that the NFL chooses not to go public with. 

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not the same.  Entertainers get more leeway for artistic expression (I would guess), no different than comedians.  

Bill Burr, who I love, can do a bit about domestic violence and make it funny.  No one with an ordinary job could get away with that.  

Dr Dre has beaten a lot of women.  That’s not artistic expression.

you should read the statements from these women and their injuries 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Does it bother either of you that this is about Gruden  and what we actually know came from an NFL investigation and the info they chose to leak? 

For the record I didn't drop in here to defend Gruden, but since the NFL cracked the door open I think it's fair game to see what else is behind the door besides what they chose to reveal. If there's nothing to hide that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe that there is a lot more bad stuff that the NFL doesn't want out. It's probably BS that this stuff was leaked about Gruden, but my point was in reference to the comment about looking at other peoples emails, texts.... and I thought that was a deflection from this one issue of Gruden. To me it didn't matter if Joe Blow had written bad emails, this was about Gruden, that's all. Not excusing the NFL behavior or Daniel Snyders probably really bad behavior.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Not the same.  Entertainers get more leeway for artistic expression (I would guess), no different than comedians.  

Bill Burr, who I love, can do a bit about domestic violence and make it funny.  No one with an ordinary job could get away with that.  

That’s not true.  Plenty of entertainers have been cancelled for offensive jokes in the past.  

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I guess what I'm questioning is the without some cause part. As far as I can tell there was no cause to be looking into Gruden. He was the dolphin that got caught in the tuna net. I could be 100% wrong but I suspect there are other much bigger dolphins in the net too that the NFL chooses not to go public with. 

I don’t know how or why Gruden was singled out for being exposed here. Heck, it could have even been the same fool who gave him that contract!

I guess maybe the life lesson here is……..don’t be a jerk. Gruden had the on air persona that even I appreciated, but there was another layer to the man. A LOT of people learned to dislike him, and maybe that’s why he got outed. Keyshawn Johnson came out and called him a fraud or a farce or something today. That was a common opinion of many players when I was in the Tampa market and he took Tony Dungy’s team to a Super Bowl against his Raiders who didn’t bother to change anything prior to their big game.  I’ll probably never know why it fell on him and (so far) only him. I can’t think that digging thru every single NFL email is a good idea, for so many reasons. 

If it was the first D. Smith email and left at that, he’d have survived. There was a looooooong pattern, and he earned what he got. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

To summarize my thoughts on the posts about what other people have done.

Gruden is an #######, the existence of other possibly greater #######s does not negate the former.

Ah the classic defense of "Whatabout-itis". Often used to shield the fact the the person that used that defense agrees with the offender and is trying (weakly) to defend their own views. One of my pet peeves when topics like this come out as well.  Never ceases to amaze me how many people willingly expose their own nature when topics like these come up.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

Dr Dre has beaten a lot of women.  That’s not artistic expression.

you should read the statements from these women and their injuries 

I know of the Michel'le incident.  If we're talking that, I understand.  It didn't even cross my mind.  I was thinking purely about lyrical content.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

That’s not true.  Plenty of entertainers have been cancelled for offensive jokes in the past.  

There's a fine line, for sure.  

*unrelated but I used to be a massive wrestling fan.  Any particular reason you chose Nord for your screen name and avatar?

Edited by Chicken Boo

51 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ah the classic defense of "Whatabout-itis". Often used to shield the fact the the person that used that defense agrees with the offender and is trying (weakly) to defend their own views. One of my pet peeves when topics like this come out as well.  Never ceases to amaze me how many people willingly expose their own nature when topics like these come up.

Doesn’t amaze me. There are people all over the place that think just like gruden and they think crude deflections are adequate cover for themselves. Cuz they’re smarter than us, you see? 

• LabattBlue changed the title to Gruden removed from Bucs Ring of Honor
16 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

I agree with you. But while many owners might want Snyder to go, they don't want a precedent in forcing an owner to sell.

Nope and I think there is a lot of fear that if Snyder were forced out he may leak other things which while not at his level would still be really bad league wide.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BTB said:

And OJ didn’t say this about the team’s owner: ‘He also asked [Bruce] Allen to tell Bryan Glazer, whose family owns the Buccaneers, to perform oral sex on him. Allen reportedly responded that Glazer would “take you up on that offer.”’

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, LeviF said:

Do we know how many offensive emails were sent?

Is it greater than or less than the number of women that have accused Deshaun Watson of some form of rape?

Yep. I still believe actions speak louder than words.

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And OJ didn’t say this about the team’s owner: ‘He also asked [Bruce] Allen to tell Bryan Glazer, whose family owns the Buccaneers, to perform oral sex on him. Allen reportedly responded that Glazer would “take you up on that offer.”’

Huh ...what? He cut the head off his his wife...the mother of his kids....and killed an innocent bystander. 

Shame on Bills for keeping his name up there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.