[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

Just now, Bangarang said:

All the Bucs had to do was nothing. How they can do this but still keep AB is laughable. 

If the league decides to draw this line then a lot of players should get cancelled as well. 

Imagine of the players phones got hacked, what their private texts look like.  Many of them would make Gruden look like an angel.  

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

The country was a totally different place back then.   He was charged, went on trail and was found not guilty.   When the jury found him not guilty the majority of the black community celebrated.  This should not be surprising given the decades (centuries) of racial inequality they experienced from the justice system.  

The innocent bystander, well he was neither innocent or a bystander.   He was there, he played a role, having an affair with another mans wife dies not make you an innocent bystander.  

That all said, OJ should have been found guilty and his named removed from our WoF.  Maybe his name will be removed  once the new stadium is completed?  

What is interesting is how justice is viewed at various points in our history.    

He had it coming right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The country was a totally different place back then.   He was charged, went on trail and was found not guilty.   When the jury found him not guilty the majority of the black community celebrated.  This should not be surprising given the decades (centuries) of racial inequality they experienced from the justice system.  

The innocent bystander, well he was neither innocent or a bystander.   He was there, he played a role, having an affair with another mans wife dies not make you an innocent bystander.  

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I’m sorry to say that they have actual evidence on Gruden. Everything about OJ is just hearsay 

• Haha (+1) 1

Morals and ethics are not applies equally in the NFL.   Criminals get to play the game.  Gruden, whom I do not like, was hung on his own petard.  His salty language and humor do not go in today's society. one should ask him if he believed what he said.  It would be an interesting interview IMO.    Now there will be a purge through out the league of email and servers.

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Curious to see what happens when the Bills move into their new stadium. Will the Pegula's put OJ's name up there in the new Ring of Honor or will they just leave his name off. 

Good point, probably the easiest time to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

You could go back to any era and find a bunch of bad apples. Social media puts everything out there today. Back in the day stuff would happen and it wouldn't be news or just a local story. In today's world people in Afghanistan are aware of what Gruden did, even though their national sport is to kick the dead American's head down the dirt road.

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m sorry to say that they have actual evidence on Gruden. Everything about OJ is just hearsay 

He certainly was acquitted and, from a legal perspective, that is all that matters. However, there was actual evidence - it wasn't just hearsay. It was clear the acquittal was more a matter of jury nullification than it was lack of evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Huh ...what? He cut the head off his his wife...the mother of his kids....and killed an innocent bystander. 

Shame on Bills for keeping his name up there

My point is that mercenary plutocrats like the Glazers - who are *terrible* (check out their record of ownership of Manchester United) - probably care more about negative comments directed at them than anything players do. I’m not justifying OJ.

Gruden was an idiot for writing, WRITING, and sending, those emails.

But he used... words. He didn't kill anyone, beat anyone, whip his kids, steal, kill dogs, whatever. Does he deserve some punishment? Sure. But now it fully looks like he will be completely banished from the NFL world forever. No coaching, no TV, no announcing, nothing. All over words. And it was mainly him being a pouty mouth using locker room talk. I see some antigay stuff, but no racism or misogynism. Calling someone a pu ssy, f a gg ot, or saying a dude has fat lips, does NOT make you the worst criminal of all time, deserving of eternal exile. Ridiculous.

55 minutes ago, Greg S said:

In the eyes of the court he was found innocent. Yes I agree with you he did it.

gruden was not convicted of anything...so.....

46 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I hate to be that guy, but...acquitted.  Sorry, I lean towards the legal aspect of things...and yes I 100% believe he did it.

HOWEVER, taking him down because he is a for sure wife beater, even going back to his Buffalo days?!   Yes.

Gruden not convicted of anything....OJ found liable in civil court

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

That all said, OJ should have been found guilty and his named removed from our WoF.  Maybe his name will be removed  once the new stadium is completed?  

What is interesting is how justice is viewed at various points in our history.    

You are so wrong on so much. OJ was found liable in Civil court....Ron Goldman was not having an affair with Simpson....and the Simpsons  were divorced...so there is that 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

Imagine of the players phones got hacked, what their private texts look like.  Many of them would make Gruden look like an angel.  

Well Big Ben raped women and Tyreke Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend and broke his son’s arm. Riley Cooper was still playing after his racist remarks.

Maybe if the league was actually consistent with its discipline and attitude towards certain behavior then I wouldn’t care about Gruden getting singled out. This is a joke and people are pandering.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

And OJ didn’t say this about the team’s owner: ‘He also asked [Bruce] Allen to tell Bryan Glazer, whose family owns the Buccaneers, to perform oral sex on him. Allen reportedly responded that Glazer would “take you up on that offer.”’

Ah!  Another "Pissed in Boss's Wheaties" move.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Well Big Ben raped women and Tyreke Hill beat his pregnant girlfriend and broke his son’s arm. Riley Cooper was still playing after his racist remarks.

Maybe if the league was actually consistent with its discipline and attitude towards certain behavior then I wouldn’t care about Gruden getting singled out. This is a joke and people are pandering.

welcome to the real world. the stanford kid who was caught raping a chick in plain sight of several witnesses got 3 months in jail but if he was anyone else would have gotten 10-20.  there is never consistent or fair punishment anywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.