Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm predicting he's starting by mid-season.

That would be awesome, but it’s rare for goalies to make the jump to the NHL immediately and have success. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

That would be awesome, but it’s rare for goalies to make the jump to the NHL immediately and have success. 

He might take some lumps, like Josh did as a rookie, but if he's got it, he's got it.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

NIL.

NCAA athletes can be paid now.........so I wouldn't expect to ever see such issues again.  

You have to have an actual NIL first and there are rules still about who can do the paying. Boosters can't do NIL deals, for example.

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Levi was invited by the NCAA to be present to accept his Richter and NCAA Rookie of the Year awards, so it wasn’t on the Sabres’ dime in the least. 

Good. Problem solved.

Edited by That's No Moon

11 hours ago, T&C said:

How so?

It didn't happen this way, but players still have to be very careful who they accept gifts from.  By virtue of the 80 million dollar hockey arena with his name on it, Terry is considered to be a booster of the Penn State hockey program.  Boosters are still very much forbidden from paying athletes or providing them things of value even with the NIL agreement situation.  Apparently he was there as a guest of the NCAA which eliminates any potential issues.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Boosters can't do NIL deals, for example.

Boosters are literally the driving force behind NIL deals.    It's not like random corporations are lining up to give 3 star recruits endorsement money so that they can sell more products in the vicinity around the stadium.   The percentage of boosters that don't own or fund companies that they can hire players to shill for.......no matter how absurd the notion........is approximately 0.  

Point being........don't look for players to be losing their eligibility over stupid sh*t anymore...........the NCAA is the one who is getting their eligibility to steal money from players gradually taken away.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Boosters are literally the driving force behind NIL deals.    It's not like random corporations are lining up to give 3 star recruits endorsement money so that they can sell more products in the vicinity around the stadium.   The percentage of boosters that don't own or fund companies that they can hire players to shill for.......no matter how absurd the notion........is approximately 0.  

Point being........don't look for players to be losing their eligibility over stupid sh*t anymore...........the NCAA is the one who is getting their eligibility to steal money from players gradually taken away.

Actually there are plenty of companies who are interested in working with athletes who now can without screwing up eligibility. Are there boosters backdooring their way in past the rules banning boosters yes there are but this opened up a venue for lots of people who are compliance minded to participate with these athletes.

• Eyeroll 1

Boo! I don’t get why he wouldn’t want to turn pro. The net in Rochester and Buffalo are wide open. This definitely makes me nervous he doesn’t intend to sign here.

If I were Adams I’d be trying to find out. Either way, I think if gets a decent trade offer he has to at least consider trading him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Boo! I don’t get why he wouldn’t want to turn pro. The net in Rochester and Buffalo are wide open. This definitely makes me nervous he doesn’t intend to sign here.

If I were Adams I’d be trying to find out. Either way, I think if gets a decent trade offer he has to at least consider trading him.

The only conclusion is he doesn't want to play for the Sabres. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Definitely makes me wonder if that’s the case. I wouldn’t say it’s the only conclusion though. He’s actually only started 1 season in college. Plus Michigan does have another pretty great class of new recruits coming in.

Hopefully Adams has some idea if what Portillo is truly thinking. If Adams has any doubts maybe he will use Portillo as a piece in a trade for a more established goaltender.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

That’s not the only conclusion, but it’s up there. Apparently, getting his degree from one of the best business schools is important to him. He’s certainly not gonna reach another Frozen Four with so many of his teammates turning pro, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Strauss Mann put up better individual numbers with 2 much lesser Michigan teams and is playing in Sweden right now. Available for nothing.  He's about the same size as Devon Levi.

Portillo wasn't going to play in Buffalo next year anyway. It wasn't going to happen.  He was probably told that, as was Levi. Hence their decisions to return to school.  Luukkonen is going to be the goaltender next year.  They set it up this way so I don't understand why anyone is surprised about it.  UPL and Anderson in Buffalo, Tokarski and whoever in Rochester.  Maybe they bring in another developmental guy but probably not.  They probably draft another goalie late with the intent of stashing him in the NCAA.  You kind of need to do this every year anyway given the development trajectory of most goalies (read, they take forever).

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Strauss Mann put up better individual numbers with 2 much lesser Michigan teams and is playing in Sweden right now. Available for nothing.  He's about the same size as Devon Levi.

Portillo wasn't going to play in Buffalo next year anyway. It wasn't going to happen.  He was probably told that, as was Levi. Hence their decisions to return to school.  Luukkonen is going to be the goaltender next year.  They set it up this way so I don't understand why anyone is surprised about it.  UPL and Anderson in Buffalo, Tokarski and whoever in Rochester.  Maybe they bring in another developmental guy but probably not.  They probably draft another goalie late with the intent of stashing him in the NCAA.  You kind of need to do this every year anyway given the development trajectory of most goalies (read, they take forever).

Wait.  Our goalies could be Levi, Strauss Mann?  Get this done.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, K-9 said:

Success doesn't matter right now, learning is what is needed and playing is the best type of learning.

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, not the best first game for Owen Power to see in person 😂

As Lancaster is to Buffalo, I'm around that distance from Tampa. Ever heard of champa bay? I hear that ***** every ***** day. Watched more of the Masters to be honest.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Power is definitely stepping into a better situation than Dahlin did.

Dahlin has matured quite a bit... since Jackoff was traded. He is perfecting the spin move, love it every time I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

I like this pairing. Power has a lot of offense to his game but he’s not as offensively minded as Dahlin and could help open more of Joker’s offensive game. 

I also really like the potential of the Samuelsson-Dahlin pairing.

I think Samuelsson could be a great long term D partner for Dahlin. I’ve been wanting to see him with a good defensive defenseman for a while.

Samuelsson has been very impressive in his short time with Buffalo.

edit -

pretty cool. The vibe around this team is so much different than previous years.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3

Great game. I was impressed with Power in his debut. He didn’t look like a rookie playing his first NHL game. That’s impressive, especially for a defenseman. What a play on that 2-on-1 to intercept that pass from Giordano to Matthews!

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 3

Loved the Samuelsson/Dahlin pair tonight. Mule is a MAN on the ice and it’s no coincidence that Dahlin found all sorts of room tonight. Joker also played a heckuva game; one of his best this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

It's amazing how far the Sabres Defense corps has come from a few years ago

Seriously.  Dahlin, Power, Joker, Samuelsson…and Bryson and Fitzy have potential as well.  Amazing talent, youth, and depth.  But goaltending will continue to limit how far this team can go.  Really need UPL to take the next step next season.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Seriously.  Dahlin, Power, Joker, Samuelsson…and Bryson and Fitzy have potential as well.  Amazing talent, youth, and depth.  But goaltending will continue to limit how far this team can go.  Really need UPL to take the next step next season.

UPL is probably Ullmark if he hits his ceiling. He's okay as a tandem, I suppose. Need to sign or trade for a veteran. Throw money at Fleury for a few years. I like Kuemper, but  he is probably going to want longer term than you'd like and you'll have to overpay. Levi needs a few years to develop and maybe Portillo if he signs.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

UPL is probably Ullmark if he hits his ceiling. He's okay as a tandem, I suppose. Need to sign or trade for a veteran. Throw money at Fleury for a few years. I like Kuemper, but  he is probably going to want longer term than you'd like and you'll have to overpay. Levi needs a few years to develop and maybe Portillo if he signs.

Just need to keep getting goaltending lottery tickets.  Its very unpredictable.  I remember when Enroth was looking like a future stud, Ullmark, UPL, Noranen... even Biron, although he had a decent enough NHL career.  Need to develop mass in that position and hope 1 or 2 really pan out at the NHL level.  Between Levi and Portillo, a really good chance neither amounts to anything worthwhile in the NHL.

In the near-term though, they are probably going to need to get aggressive whether its an overpayment to a UFA (hopefully without too much term), or a trade.  Hopefully all of Adyms' analytical guys can determine what are the best buys.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, May Day 10 said:

Just need to keep getting goaltending lottery tickets.  Its very unpredictable.  I remember when Enroth was looking like a future stud, Ullmark, UPL, Noranen... even Biron, although he had a decent enough NHL career.  Need to develop mass in that position and hope 1 or 2 really pan out at the NHL level.  Between Levi and Portillo, a really good chance neither amounts to anything worthwhile in the NHL.

In the near-term though, they are probably going to need to get aggressive whether its an overpayment to a UFA (hopefully without too much term), or a trade.  Hopefully all of Adyms' analytical guys can determine what are the best buys.

I essentially agree, though I have a gut feeling Levi is going to turn out the real deal.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Kinda makes you pine for the good old days of clutching, grabbing, neutral zone trap unwatchable hockey when goalies were a dime a dozen.