Beth Mowins to call Bills-Texans

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

She’s terrible. I don’t even know if she knows much about football. I can’t get past her horrible voice!

You wanna offer equality in sports broadcasting? Fine. Just hire people who don’t make you cringe at the sound of your voice!

That voice is nails on a chalkboard. Yay.....

• Agree 3

I know it sounds like impossible effort to some of you but you could:

1. Turn the game down and watch and discuss the game with actual family and/or friends at home;

2. Watch it at home muted with a radio or alternate broadcast on;

3. Go out and watch the game at a bar or something similar with family/friends (or just with strangers! Make new friends!);

any of these options are healthier than whining about female broadcasters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

Nah...Nobody else genrates this much hate....whether you want to admit it to yourself or not....its mostly becuase of her gender...

It is gender related insofar as her female biology is responsible for the development of her vocal cords which produce her godawful voice. Beyond that, all else being equal, she would be just as annoying to listen to if she had the same voice AND a penis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This seems like a good place to post this reminder

If your audio setup has a center channel (2.1, 5.1, etc) you can mute this speaker and silence the announcers while keeping the sounds of the game intact.  You may need to turn down the subwoofer also, and commercials will sound strange, but this trick works with most sporting events.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Nah...Nobody else genrates this much hate....whether you want to admit it to yourself or not....its mostly becuase of her gender...

True. Lots of misogyny here, 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, TH3 said:

No.  People don’t like her because she has a terrible voice.   She is very intelligent and great at her job, but voice matters when announcing games.    Same reason I can’t  stand Collinsworth or Gumble.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cue the Beth Mowins hate.  She's a good announcer, but the hatred runs deep at TBD.

First, let me state, unequivocally, that I have no issues whatsoever with women sports announcers -- as long as they are GOOD.  I hold them to the same standard as their male counterparts.  That said, I find Mowins almost unlistenable.  Her voice is just awful, and I'm sorry, that's a big part of being a broadcaster.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Does anyone recall how bad Millen was last week?  Dude was on another planet.  If anybody hates Cuse grad Beth Mowins I will fight you in the parking lot. We will not tolerate this slander.

I'm a Cuse grad and I live here, but sorry I will tolerate this slander and will not join you in the parking lot.  I find it hard to listen to her announce any game and I'm probably the least sexist person I know.  ( I know, that sounds like Trump saying "I'm the least racist person you'll ever meet")

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I know it sounds like impossible effort to some of you but you could:

1. Turn the game down and watch and discuss the game with actual family and/or friends at home;

2. Watch it at home muted with a radio or alternate broadcast on;

3. Go out and watch the game at a bar or something similar with family/friends (or just with strangers! Make new friends!);

any of these options are healthier than whining about female broadcasters.

You must be the guy who says any criticism of a woman is misogyny and any criticism of a black person is racism. 🙄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

18 minutes ago, without a drought said:

I'll just turn off the sound and listen to music, it's nothing personal or gender related, I do this for every regular season game.

Another perfectly solid and reasonable option. Thank you.

(psst..a secret - some of the manly men around here can’t follow a football game without a disembodied voice telling them what’s happening constantly.)

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You must be the guy who says any criticism of a woman is misogyny and any criticism of a black person is racism. 🙄

Yep that’s me! I can also follow a football game without a play by play commentator.

Nothing personal against Beth Mowins, she's never honestly bothered me that much but my head kind of tunes out the announcers as I watch the game anyway.

Really wish there was some way you could mute just the broadcast booth, increase the volume of the stadium down/distance/player announcements and keep the stadium noise.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Count me in as one of the confused.

To say that Beth Mowins is the worst in the business pure fact.  It's not even an opinion.

The facts that she a) continues to get paid for doing this and b) will be calling the next Bills game are absolutely thread-worthy.

My wife who is football novice walked into the room when watching a game she was doing and asked who is the person who is so bad?  No because she is a she but lacking in talent.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Cue the Beth Mowins hate.  She's a good announcer, but the hatred runs deep at TBD.

Yeah, I don't mind her that much, but there are far better announcers. I definately consider her less than average. I wouldn't say she is good.

47 minutes ago, eball said:

First, let me state, unequivocally, that I have no issues whatsoever with women sports announcers -- as long as they are GOOD.  I hold them to the same standard as their male counterparts.  That said, I find Mowins almost unlistenable.  Her voice is just awful, and I'm sorry, that's a big part of being a broadcaster.

Absolutely.

Even when she does broadcasts for college football, she is tough to listen to. Her voice is just flat.