Beth Mowins to call Bills-Texans

3 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

Nfl announcing has changed,  not sure why such incredible details such as today was the first time in history that 2 qbs last name ended in "field" in the same game. Bears vs Browns  Fields and Mayfield. Who the heck comes up with this useless poop. They said it on national TV.

Now I can flippin die peacefully knowing I have nothing more to learn.

Every game they try to find a first time ever stat.  This is the first time ever a QB threw a ball 36.3 yards to a player wearing a single digit number at 1:27pm with a wind gust of 14 mph. 

They don't understand everything doesn't need to be special 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Every game they try to find a first time ever stat.  This is the first time ever a QB threw a ball 36.3 yards to a player wearing a single digit number at 1:27pm with a wind gust of 14 mph. 

They don't understand everything doesn't need to be special 

An effort perhaps to appeal to a less macho/male audience. Technical claptrap without any technical football strategy which is over many people's heads. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, Chandler#81 said:

She’s terrible. I don’t even know if she knows much about football. I can’t get past her horrible voice!

You wanna offer equality in sports broadcasting? Fine. Just hire people who don’t make you cringe at the sound of your voice!

How do you feel about Doris Burke?

32 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

I'm not a big basketball guy, but I do remember listening to Doris Burke as a frequent guest on "Mike and Mike in the Morning."

It seemed clear to me that she was super knowledgeable about basketball, but as a guest on that show - she bored me to tears.  Something about her voice and just overall lack of enthusiasm made me want to change the channel.

That said, I have seen Kirk Herbstreit many times on TV and thought he's great.  But as a Mike and Mike guest - he, too, put me to sleep.  He was consistently horrible.

I guess some people are more suited for TV than radio and vice versa.

• Agree 1

On 9/27/2021 at 7:09 AM, Nervous Guy said:

Since it always turns into "can female sportscasters succeed in calling men's sports":

Doris Burke knows the game and it shows. She's well prepared and doesn't seem to feel the need to ramble off topic. For basketball, I'd put her in the top 20%.

And for MLB: Jessica Mendoza takes a lot of flack, but I also think she does a good job. Plus while I don't necessarily agree with it, this comment about former Astros all of a sudden calling them out for the sign stealing scandal showed a nice independent streak. 

For the NFL: well, sorry, Beth Mowins is just not good. Male, female, gender neutral, I don't care. She's not good at the job.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Agree 2

I don't understand how so many guys here hate Beth Mowins' voice, but they seem to have no problem with Kevin Harlan, who bellows like a steer in the slaughterhouse. I hate it when he is the announcer for a Bills game. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I don't understand how so many guys here hate Beth Mowins' voice, but they seem to have no problem with Kevin Harlan, who bellows like a steer in the slaughterhouse. I hate it when he is the announcer for a Bills game. 

Harlan's voice is fantastic and his enthusiasm is genuine, not contrived.

I'm golfing during the game Sunday and for the first time in forever I'm going to listen to the Bills radio feed.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I really want Gus Johnson to do a Bills game.

I really want to know who Gus Johnson pissed off.  That dude should be one of the networks' top NFL and NCAA basketball play-by-play guys.

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I really want to know who Gus Johnson pissed off.  That dude should be one of the networks' top NFL and NCAA basketball play-by-play guys.

Disagree. His excitement is virtually the same on a 30 yrd run and a 3 yrd run and that is a problem. The man is constantly at an 11 and needs to take it down a bit.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:02 AM, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m sure that when I have complained to my wife about Mowins announcing games she assumes it’s because it’s a female calling a football game. It isn’t. It’s because she’s horrendous. There was a Toronto Raptors game called by 2 women this past season. It was truly the best duo that I’ve listened to call a Raptors game. No issues there whatsoever. 

funny, that game turned my daughter off the raptors for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Her voice is like Quint in Jaws with his nails on the chalk board.

She actually has a  great set of pipes for broadcasting purposes.

It's the accent that kills me.  If you think about it, very few people make it to the national level in broadcasting with any kind of strong accent...NYC, Bostonian, southern, you name it.