Beth Mowins to call Bills-Texans

Just now, Just Joshin' said:

My wife who is football novice walked into the room when watching a game she was doing and asked who is the person who is so bad?  No because she is a she but lacking in talent.

The "people don't like her because she's a female," narrative is lazy and weak.

She is a woman who sucks at her job.  Key words, "sucks at her job."  (not "woman")

Everyone on the PLANET thought Jason Witten sucked in the booth.  Why?  Because he sucked.  I don't recall anyone saying, "you just don't like him because he's a man!"

It's pure crap.  She's horrible, period.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

No.  People don’t like her because she has a terrible voice.   She is very intelligent and great at her job, but voice matters when announcing games.    Same reason I can’t  stand Collinsworth or Gumble.  

For me, she is a version of a younger Brent Musburger.  Annoying voice, constantly trying to force spots to hype and inject vocal excitement that makes her voice even more annoying.  It took Brent about 20 out of his 27 years to finally meter himself enough for me to listen to him.  Cripes, I hope it doesn't take Beth as long.

So sad that some reflexively turn to sexism as an excuse for her incompetence. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

She is a woman who sucks at her job.  Key words, "sucks at her job."  (not "woman")

Everyone on the PLANET thought Jason Witten sucked in the booth.  Why?  Because he sucked.  I don't recall anyone saying, "you just don't like him because he's a man!"

This.  She stinks.

• Like (+1) 1

Mowins is the worst.  I don't care what her gender is.  Her voice is cringe-worthy and her commentary is untimely.  She is my least favorite broadcaster on any network.  I have to miss one of the next two Bills games for a family commitment.  The commitment has to be on one a Sunday, either that one or the following one.  I think I will miss the Houston game.  I was leaning that way anyway, as it isn't a great matchup, but Mowins may have be the final nail in the coffin.

2 hours ago, r00tabaga said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but to me Dan Dierdorf was the worst broadcaster of all time and I remember turning the volume down when we played the dolphins several times.... Unlistenable.

He WAS terrible. -and nowhere to be seen today cause of it. Mowins is the female equivalent.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I always find the announcers that played sports to overall be more knowledgeable in calling the games. They have a better feel of knowing what the emphasize and what to prod the color commentator on. Just my two cents. 

Not so, really. Listen to the ex-players on the early morning shows on NFLR. I find myself changing th station!

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I thought we graduated from Beth Mowins games

So did I!😳 Must be Allen’s slump..🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I guess this will be a radio sync day for sure...

image.thumb.png.021086d62b682ef34d4880bd1bfcd7a7.png

1 hour ago, CuseBill said:

I'm probably the least sexist person I know.

I read that as "least sexiest" person and was about to post a Captain Obvious meme.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And yet, there are many, many other horrible NFL announcers who don't elicit one tenth the hate and groans on this forum that Mowins elicits. Bills draw bad announcers all the time, but it usually doesn't turn into a five+ page thread.

I am really curious to know what it would take for most of the Mowins haters on here to actually enjoy a female announcer -- other than her being physically attractive.

I really don't think it's all that radical or bold to presume that there's a certain segment of football fans who don't like the idea of a female announcer, period. In my opinion, it's just as lazy to assume that that type of misogyny outright doesn't exist than it is to assume that everyone subscribes to it. Some here may genuinely dislike Mowins solely on the basis of her announcing skills or lack thereof, but to think that NONE of the dislike being thrown her way has to do with her gender seems naive.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Absolutely.

Even when she does broadcasts for college football, she is tough to listen to. Her voice is just flat.

And she does this weird enunciation thing as well...it's so annoying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

And yet, there are many, many other horrible NFL announcers who don't elicit one tenth the hate and groans on this forum that Mowins elicits. Bills draw bad announcers all the time, but it usually doesn't turn into a five+ page thread.

I am really curious to know what it would take for most of the Mowins haters on here to actually enjoy a female announcer -- other than her being physically attractive.

I really don't think it's all that radical or bold to presume that there's a certain segment of football fans who don't like the idea of a female announcer, period. In my opinion, it's just as lazy to assume that that type of misogyny outright doesn't exist than it is to assume that everyone subscribes to it. Some here may genuinely dislike Mowins solely on the basis of her announcing skills or lack thereof, but to think that NONE of the dislike being thrown her way has to do with her gender seems naive.

How are you sure Mowins identifies with the gender you are assuming xe identifies as? Do you know xir pronouns? That’s kinda presumptist and frankly I’m tired of this mindset that is outdated as of five minutes ago.

;)

11 minutes ago, eball said:

And she does this weird enunciation thing as well...it's so annoying.

Solomon Wilcots and the Jennifer… I mean Buffalo Beals still takes the cake.

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

So now it's about the fact that you don't find Beth Mowins attractive and you're projecting that as the reason others don't like her voice? Who's the misogynist now?

• Vomit 1

All I gotta say is I could listen to, and look at, Suzy Kolber any time, all the time. 

But those who are commenting on her voice, I just think back to the Fabulous Sports Babe. She was great on the radio. Very knowledgeable. Listened to her quite often. I never once thought her voice was nails on a chalkboard. So I don't think people saying they can't listen to her has nothing to do with her gender. It's just she doesn't have a voice that is listenable. Some of us don't. 

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Draconator said:

All I gotta say is I could listen to, and look at, Suzy Kolber any time, all the time. 

But those who are commenting on her voice, I just think back to the Fabulous Sports Babe. She was great on the radio. Very knowledgeable. Listened to her quite often. I never once thought her voice was nails on a chalkboard. So I don't think people saying they can't listen to her has nothing to do with her gender. It's just she doesn't have a voice that is listenable. Some of us don't. 

100% this

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm all for women calling football games, but why did they go out of their way to pick a woman who sounds like a dude?

It's like vegetarians who say it's disgusting to animals and then spend good money on substitutes designed to taste... like animals.

Edited by RobbRiddick
My Wife