Haack is kicking really slow [Moderator Edited🤦‍♂️]

Gisele

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He is slow but that’s only 7 yard sprint for the guy who blocked it…he came almost untouched.  I think most punters on this case would have had theirs blocked too.

See I think most punters get that kick off..... but the pressure causes them to shank it a bit. The problem with Haack is every protection breakdown is a likely block.

1 hour ago, saundena said:

Maybe I'm still traumatized from the Pittsburg game, but this guy Haak scares me.  Bring back Bojorquez; I don't know why we got rid of him.  The few times we called upon him to punt last year, he was excellent!

It’s been explained -since Free Agency as a matter of fact.

Pay attention, Son.

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely. Never got why we let Bojo go. Haack is absolutely terrible. Should have been cut already. Bring in someone off the street. I’ll sacrifice a few yards to ensure it doesn’t get blocked. 

He will cost us victories if this continues. He holds the ball very low to the ground when he winds up. Kinda like a pitcher who brings his arms up over his head when delivering a pitch. Fine for baseball not so much for punting. Too much time wasted especially if kicking deep on your side of the field.

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See I think most punters get that kick off..... but the pressure causes them to shank it a bit. The problem with Haack is every protection breakdown is a likely block.

I think if that was the case, he would have like a dozen blocks in his career.  The guy that came through, he looked like he could have just tackled Haack with the ball….that’s how close he got.  The quicker punters would have had at least the ball finger tipped.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think if that was the case, he would have like a dozen blocks in his career.  The guy that came through, he looked like he could have just tackled Haack with the ball….that’s how close he got.  The quicker punters would have had at least the ball finger tipped.

Is that stat kept somewhere?  Just curious how Haack compares to other punters, because I can't lie, he looks slow as molasses getting the ball off.

I would love to see some timing numbers on Haack compared to other punters.   He looks very slow, yet he has 2 blocks in his career and the last one against Pittsburgh was hardly his fault.  

He seems to look down and stare before he starts his punt. 

Att       Blk 

Haack           314        2

Bojorquez     172        2

Moorman      972        2

Guy              1049       3

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I would love to see some timing numbers on Haack compared to other punters.   He looks very slow, yet he has 2 blocks in his career and the last one against Pittsburgh was hardly his fault.  

Att       Blk 

I’d also like to see if perhaps he has slowed down this season. 

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Att       Blk 

The thing that jumps out at me most is Moorman had almost a thousand punts, and only two were blocked. That’s amazing!

(Ray Guy doesn’t count, he was a freak and a Raider :) ) 

EDIT: Statistically, Moorman is significantly better! THE BEST! We win? We excel at  PUNTING!!!!! WE’RE #1!

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Haack looks like he has time for coffee and a donut back there.  He must be one of those people that does slight of hand tricks...because what I'm seeing does not add up in my brain.  It looks like every one of his punts should be blocked.

9 hours ago, Gisele said:

Not sure if this has been brought up so sorry if it has.  Anyone else noticed how slow he is getting the kick off?  

In a word, Yes. 

Go Bills!!!

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Att       Blk 

he has at least one other block that is not counted because the ball technically went like 1 yard pass the line of scrimmage 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm back with another punting take!

Imagine the Tom Brady of punters... Obsessive. Chip on his shoulder. Super into fitness and gives up pretty much everything else in life to be the NFL's greatest punter of all-time. Big difference is that he's super athletic to start with. 

He sets a goal: I want to play 30 years in the league. Play until he's 51-52, assuming he enters the league at age 21/22. 

Someone like that could possibly punt fairly effectively until he's 51-52, right? You almost never get hit, you even more rarely take any type of head shot. Basically it's a life of obsessive fitness and flexibility training where you punt a ball a few times on Sunday afternoons and make a few million bucks a year. You're never really under too much pressure, except for in your own end zone, so you're never winning or losing a game on a punt. 

Plus, once you hit 40, you'll have all that punting knowledge and experience to draw from. 

Downside... There's only so much glory a punter can have, but you could play a (small) part in winning a bunch of Super Bowls along the way, especially if you play 30 seasons. 

As I'm writing I'm realizing 30 seasons sounds insane, but Tom Brady is playing his 21st season right now at a position that takes a lot more punishment than a punter, and he looks better than he did 10 years ago.