Week 3: WFT at Bills

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, given that we’re facing Washington, it’s worth mentioning that he played well in a quite windy game vs them in 2019. Average 18 mph winds with gusts higher than that, and a passer rating of 110.4 (70 percent completion rate). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911030buf.htm

He also played well vs Denver in similar conditions. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911240buf.htm

The Rams game last year was also very windy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

Not really the same thing, but when my son played college football, he ate 6-8 PBJs a day. Helped keep his weight, high protein and gives you energy.

Yeah energy density on a PBJ is solid, checks all the boxes for protein, carbs and fat. Just laughing to myself thinking that halftime for adult football players is more like my kiddos snack time than a solid strategy check for adjustments going into the back half. 

8 minutes ago, uninja said:

Yeah energy density on a PBJ is solid, checks all the boxes for protein, carbs and fat. Just laughing to myself thinking that halftime for adult football players is more like my kiddos snack time than a solid strategy check for adjustments going into the back half. 

I agree, but Im sure he has it stored in a Sponge Bob sandwich bag tho! :)

Edited by twist_to_open

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, given that we’re facing Washington, it’s worth mentioning that he played well in a quite windy game vs them in 2019. Average 18 mph winds with gusts higher than that, and a passer rating of 110.4 (70 percent completion rate). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911030buf.htm

He also played well vs Denver in similar conditions. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201911240buf.htm

The real myth is that there is any good down field QB in bad wind. That strong arm QBs can over power gusts. That's when you should run the ball or toss a lot of high percentage screens.

Look at the old K gun games and you wont see Jimbo slaying the wind. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

The real myth is that there is any good down field QB in bad wind. That strong arm QBs can over power gusts. That's when you should run the ball or toss a lot of high percentage screens.

In that 2019 Denver game, the difference in ability to handle wind between allen and the denver qbs was stark.

58 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

It affects all QBs, it just affects weak armed QBs more 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, uninja said:

The NBA has been doing it for some time now

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents18931717/the-nba-secret-addiction

2 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

It always amazes me how fans misinterpret basic aerodynamics.

Once a football leaves the quarterbacks hands, it is "in the atmosphere," and subjected to the same laws that all flying objects are.

If a "strong armed" quarterback provides increased velocity at release, the ball will be subjected to those influences for less time, but the same influences.

Works the same in aviation. Winds have the same effect on 777 as they do on a Cessna 172.

Stronger arms, measured by release velocity, simply provide less time for those effects.

One caveat. The spin rate of the football effects stability. Less stability results in greater ball wobble, and that subjects the ball to greater parasite drag as opposed to a tight spiral.

Ergo, a tight spiral is less effected by that type of drag.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, sherpa said:

It always amazes me how fans misinterpret basic aerodynamics.

Once a football leaves the quarterbacks hands, it is "in the atmosphere," and subjected to the same laws that all flying objects are.

If a "strong armed" quarterback provides increased velocity at release, the ball will be subjected to those influences for less time, but the same influences.

Works the same in aviation. Winds have the same effect on 777 as they do on a Cessna 172.

Stronger arms, measured by release velocity, simply provide less time for those effects.

One caveat. The spin rate of the football effects stability. Less stability results in greater ball wobble, and that subjects the ball to greater parasite drag as opposed to a tight spiral.

Ergo, a tight spiral is less effected by that type of drag.

Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

• Haha (+1) 5

4 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Yup I agree, when conditions are like that it pretty much forces you to adjust the game plan to an extent. 

44 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

On the bright side if they do have entrance problems, Josh may actually play well at least at the beginning of the game.

Is it just me or do we not play well at home? The team always looks more in sync to me on the road. Both sides of the ball. It’s definitely happened enough times to notice the trend.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Governor said:

Is it just me or do we not play well at home? The team always looks more in sync to me on the road. Both sides of the ball. It’s definitely happened enough times to notice the trend.

He's been marginally better on the road over his career (85.8 passer rating at home and 93.1 on the road).  Not really enough to conclude that he's a better road quarterback though.  The team under Allen is better at home (15-8 vs. 14-9).  Some of our biggest regular season wins came on the road though so that may skew our thinking.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Agree 1

Saw this on ESPN.

“Washington has lost five straight road games at the Bills, and all by double digits. Its last road win at the Bills was in Week 8 of the 1987 season.”

It’s about to be six losses in a row! Go Bills!!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

28 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Saw this on ESPN.

“Washington has lost five straight road games at the Bills, and all by double digits. Its last road win at the Bills was in Week 8 of the 1987 season.”

It’s about to be six! Go Bills!!

I agree if WTF has players on the team from 1987 I'm sure it'll be a double digit win for the Bills

5 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Saw this on ESPN.

It’s about to be six losses in a row! Go Bills!!

Fairly certain that was a scab game.

No real Bills.

On 9/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, newcam2012 said:

I just locked in Wash at +9.5. Think the Bills win but don't cover. The Bills defense is playing very well and the offense... I see more of the same here. The Bills offense will try to establish a more balanced attack to take the pressure off Allen. I don't see a quick turn around for Allen. He won't make rookie mistakes, his legs will be valuable, he will make a few nice throws, and he will manage the game and the Bills to a victory. Imho, it's the defense that wins the game. 

Buffalo 24

Wash 17

Sorry for your loss. 

• Haha (+1) 1