Isaiah McKenzie shoulder injury

YoloinOhio

I think the fact there were no preseason games last year is giving coaches some confidence to let their players go out there Game 1 as first live game action.  

Seems there’s quite a few more guys than normal not playing this preseason at all.  

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Love McKenzie but we'll be fine. Most kick offs are touchbacks anyway and Micah can field and fair catch punts until Isaiah gets back. 

He will definitely be missed on jet sweeps and trick plays.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t be surprised to see E Sanders used here, with or without McKenzie available 

Diggs was used for gadget plays in Minnesota, also. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

There were no preseason games last year

Thank you. Did that slow Allen down? Of course not. Preseason is completely superfluous for established stars like Allen. 

I’d prefer to get rid of preseason altogether, but I guess I can see some utility for players on the fringe of the roster.

2 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Is Powell still in the roster? Is he the only healthy returner right now?

powell is still on the roster. Depends on if you consider Hyde a return guy (on punts at least.)

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How so on Stevenson?  If we want McKenzie back, we can't IR him before the final roster cutdowns.  He has to make the initial 53, or he's out for the season.

If McKenzie is out for an extended period they will have to keep Stevenson just to have that speed WR element available on the offense and a legitimate kick returner. I don't mean he will take McKenzie's spot. They just have to find a way to fit him on the roster if McKenzie can't play.

Actually the more I think about it, I feel like we have to roster both Stevenson and Kumerow if for no other reason than Beasley and Davis are unvaccinated. Both could suddenly have to stay home for a game if they have a close contact with a positive case. Having multiple backup options is unfortunately going to be a necessary contingency.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's an interesting question.  Maybe some of our former football players can comment.   I have the impression that tolerance for contact is a learned response, but whether it has to be re-learned every season or whether it carries over, I'm not clear.

Your body learns to get hit or learns to hit depending on the position you play.  Over time the general soreness goes away and you get in football shape.  You re-learn this each season.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks, how much time?  Days, weeks, month?

In terms of general soreness going away, a few weeks. 

McD really impresses me as far as taking care of the players, letting guys fully heal, giving veterans rest days, and being very cautious wrt to injuries. 

Over the course of a season, players are getting dinged up, beat up due to the nature of the game.  McD seems to look out for his players.

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

In terms of general soreness going away, a few weeks. 

McD really impresses me as far as taking care of the players, letting guys fully heal, giving veterans rest days, and being very cautious wrt to injuries. 

Over the course of a season, players are getting dinged up, beat up due to the nature of the game.  McD seems to look out for his players.

I wonder if this also plays into the decision not to do joint practices . The bills are the only team in their division not to do them this year. The jets and pats are on their second consecutive week of joint practices. I’m questioning if it’s beneficial or a non factor, but it was clearly a decision to not do them. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Diggs was used for gadget plays in Minnesota, also. 

He was, but I am not very keen on defenders getting to tee off on Diggs in the run game. I think that would be a foolish way to use your best asset. We have a handful of guys who can run gadget plays (not as well as McKenzie but could do it) we only have 1 guy who can do what Stefon Diggs does. 

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If McKenzie is out for an extended period they will have to keep Stevenson just to have that speed WR element available on the offense and a legitimate kick returner. I don't mean he will take McKenzie's spot. They just have to find a way to fit him on the roster if McKenzie can't play.

Actually the more I think about it, I feel like we have to roster both Stevenson and Kumerow if for no other reason than Beasley and Davis are unvaccinated. Both could suddenly have to stay home for a game if they have a close contact with a positive case. Having multiple backup options is unfortunately going to be a necessary contingency.

It depends on how hurt Stevenson is as well though.... I agree that finding out Gabe as well as the mouth of the south is unvaccinated is another reason to consider keeping 7 receivers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

That explains why Bean picked up Rico Gafford.  

I would have preferred Uncle Rico. If coach would have just put him in the game in the 4th quarter back in 1982, they would have won state.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He posted an insta story this morning! Is this from inside the MRI machine??

https://instagram.com/stories/zee_thoven/2648021381712537208?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

Uhh...no, it's from inside a car.

Edited by Big Turk

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's an interesting question.  Maybe some of our former football players can comment.   I have the impression that tolerance for contact is a learned response, but whether it has to be re-learned every season or whether it carries over, I'm not clear.

he’s been getting hit since he’s been 13. He’ll be fine 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://instagram.com/stories/zee_thoven/2648021381712537208?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

Dude, no, have you never had an MRI? 

They don't let you take anything that might have any kind of metal in there, and the technicians don't bother with trying to sort that out - they send you in there with a hospital gown, a tube for oxygen if you need it, and some kind of ear protection/music

Don't try to game the system either, the strong magnetic fields could easily scramble your electronics/screen

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dude, have you never been to a hospital!?!  

That's a Spleendectimy Machine (the colors are a dead giveaway) - and the sling he's wearing is pretty clear sign they've removed his shoulder spleen.  Officially Concerned.

:beer:

• Shocked 2

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They don't let you take anything that might have any kind of metal in there, and the technicians don't bother with trying to sort that out - they send you in there with a hospital gown, a tube for oxygen if you need it, and some kind of ear protection/music

Don't try to game the system either, the strong magnetic fields could easily scramble your electronics/screen

It was a joke…. 😞

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Can someone post a screenshot, or something from this? I don't do the instagram.

Hmmm I’m not sure how 

Oh someone did it for me

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The magnetic force is so strong that it'll pull the metal plate right outta the guy's head! 🤣

17 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He would still need to make the 53 or the IR is for the season. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Another option is to waive him with an injury designation and settlement.  He could be re-signed once that period ends.  That period would be based on how long recovery is expected and how much of his salary he is paid in the settlement.  A team could pick him up off of waivers, but that’s very unlikely.  It is an option.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

Another option is to waive him with an injury designation and settlement.  He could be re-signed once that period ends.  That period would be based on how long recovery is expected and how much of his salary he is paid in the settlement.  A team could pick him up off of waivers, but that’s very unlikely.  It is an option.

McKenzie would NEVER clear waivers. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

He’s not subject to waivers. They can cut him on Tuesday, and then resign and place on IR the next day. Then he can return in as soon as 3 weeks from week 1. Only risk is he can entertain offers from other teams once cut. 

edit - they would also need to absorb any dead cap which isn’t much in his case - 350k

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

does he still go through waivers?

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Well doesn't an injury settlement work differently.   Don't they just become a free agent then...???   Maybe not but thats what I understood. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not subject to waivers. They can cut him on Tuesday, and then resign and place on IR the next day. Then he can return in as soon as 3 weeks from week 1. Only risk is he can entertain offers from other teams once cut. 

Thanks. What are the stipulations on the cuts again? Does anyone go through waivers or do they all become free agents?

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Well doesn't an injury settlement work differently.   Don't they just become a free agent then...???   Maybe not but thats what I understood. 

He would be a FA because he has 4 vested seasons. Duke Williams did not, and went through waivers. 

Just now, letsgoteam said:

Thanks. What are the stipulations on the cuts again? Does anyone go through waivers or do they all become free agents?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, letsgoteam said:

An injured McKenzie would almost certainly clear waivers.  There is a very slim chance that a bottom feeder team would grab him, but there will be a lot of similar players available and they will have better contracts.  Bills fans have really been overestimating McKenzie’s value this offseason.

Now if he’s healthy by mid season a different team might sign him, but if we IR him then he doesn’t play this season and then he’s a FA after the season anyway.  Or we can burn a roster spot on him at 53 cut down.  I don’t really love that but it should work if we have a wink wink agreement with a player we cut.

Options all really depend on the severity of the injury anyway.  Right now it’s all speculation until we know what is going on there. 

14 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  He’s vested.  That’s my bad.  He’d be a FA.  Also with an injury settlement other teams would be able to sign him earlier than the Bills.  They’d have to wait until the period of time covered by the settlement expired. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

edit - they would also need to absorb any dead cap which isn’t much in his case 

Correct. 

I’ll add that I’d much rather see an injury settlement than IR.  Partly because it opens the door for him to come back and partly because it’s be doing him a solid. He could catch on somewhere else and get some playing time this season.  Again, it depends on the severity of the injury. 

Edited by BarleyNY