Comparison to 90s SB teams

The 90's squad had several hall of famers , this group has a ways to go but the potential looks to be there. The 90's squad had more star players while this team has more depth 1-53. To compare I'd say this team is like the 1988-90 version...Just on the door step made AFC championship but lost to the Icky Wood's Bengals. Let's pray this year isn't like 89 when that Ronnie Harmon drop ended our season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Craig Oi said:

The 90's squad had several hall of famers , this group has a ways to go but the potential looks to be there. The 90's squad had more star players while this team has more depth 1-53. To compare I'd say this team is like the 1988-90 version...Just on the door step made AFC championship but lost to the Icky Wood's Bengals. Let's pray this year isn't like 89 when that Ronnie Harmon drop ended our season. 

I think its hard to compare from different era's. Back in the 90's teams could play defense. Today if you sneeze on a player its a 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty. Right now the 90's teams get the nod because of what they accomplished. But if this group can win a Super Bowl than that changes everything.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I think its hard to compare from different era's. Back in the 90's teams could play defense. Today if you sneeze on a player its a 15 yard unnecessary roughness penalty. Right now the 90's teams get the nod because of what they accomplished. But if this group can win a Super Bowl than that changes everything.

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

Totally different eras. I will say though that I’m taking McD over Marv.

I have to agree with this but for arguments sake I thought I'd give it a stab.

With today's rules, today's team is better.  With the rules then the 90's team would demolish this team.   Both teams were deep but the 90's team has superior high end talent.  But on the other hand the players might have not been as dedicated off the field and drank more than they should have, especially before the Giants SB.  Again though some of that is the rise of sports science.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team feels like the Bledsoe team after they picked up Takeo.

The offense was good and the defense had just gotten a revamp... but then the O disappeared and the D was #2 in the league.

We're hoping it's more like '88-'89 than early 2000's

The 90's team would kill this one with 90's rules. Today's rules would make it close.

Edited by unbillievable

Looking at D, it’s hard to argue against any team with Bruce, and Biscuit would still be a stud… but Jeff Wright would get annihilated, and there are plenty of others like Conlan and Kelso that just couldn’t hang today.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Looking at D, it’s hard to argue against any team with Bruce, and Biscuit would still be a stud… but Jeff Wright would get annihilated, and there are plenty of others like Conlan and Kelso that just couldn’t hang today.

Bruce was out of this world. I never fully appreciated him at the time. That being said, I think today’s team would easily beat the 90’s team. Talent, training, and coaching is just so much better these days. Our 90’s defense seemed good, but they got annihilated in four Super Bowls. I think Josh Allen has his way with them if Mark Rypien could. 

Arguments between eras is always fun, but so so so subjective. Overall I feel like I’d prefer the majority of the 90’s roster starters to our own now, but the gap is narrowing fast, and this may be the year that changes for me, imo. 

But really people, we’re being asked to choose between great pizza and more great pizza, so really no wrong answers…

• Like (+1) 3

Until we get to at least one SB I would tap the brakes on the 90's bills comparisons. If anything that team right now is the Chiefs since they are currently the kings of the AFC until proven otherwise.

One thing I will say, if Rousseau ends up coming out of nowhere and being a dominant DE in the coming years we'll be one step closer to the 90's bills with our new Bruce Smith type player.

Elite QB? Check

Elite WR? Check

WR depth? Check

RB's? 90's all day

TE? Edge 90's

OL? I think they're about even, outside of us not having a Kent Hull

DL? We have no Bruce or Biscuit, but I like our group. Edge 90's

LB's? Check

CB's? Our CB depth on those 90's teams was better than ours now

S's? I'd take Poyer and Hyde

K? Absolutely check. Bass-o-matic

ST? Hard to say

If Rousseau does in the Regular Season what he's doing right now? Man, everything will look better. LB's, Secondary, it will open up more opportunities for TO's if QB's are having to rush throws. It will also force some sacks Hughes' way as well because of the pressure from the other side. Epenesa looks better. Hopefully Addison has a stronger campaign than last year. Oliver seems to be getting after it. We've all heard the reports about Star. We could really be there in the end hoisting the Lombardi. Right now I'd liken us to the Peyton Manning led Colts who had to get past the Patriots. The Chiefs are in that Patriots role now days. Still, this team feels different than those 90's teams. They are a closer knit group imo and I really feel like we will finally get it done, bring one home to Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, unbillievable said:

Get to One Superbowl and we can start to comparisons.

Win a Superbowl and we can end the discussion.

They win a Super Bowl then immediately become the best team the Bills had during the Super Bowl era. Before my time and the game was much different then but they would be on the same level as the 64 & 65 AFL champions. Those teams will have been the only teams to win a championship for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

I take the 90s Bills.  I think they're built to beat the current team.  You beat this Bills team by running it down their throat and making them run the ball on offense.  Don't think this current team would take advantage of the small 90's defensive line or be able to stop Thurman and Kenny Davis from running the ball like crazy.  Just my opinion.

• Agree 1

I was just thinking about this topic over the weekend.  IMO the 1990s team was objectively better and would beat the 2021 team even under the NFL's current rules.  People forget just how absolutely stacked the good teams were back then, in the days before free agency.  As others have noted, those teams had four HOFers and a bunch of guys who maybe weren't HOF quality but still superb.  I'm thinking specifically of Biscuit and Talley, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys.  Nate Odoms maybe?  Wolford?

That said, I think today's team is better relative to the rest of the NFL.  It's a QB-driven league, and the gap between Allen and the median starting QB is larger than the gap between Kelly and the median 1990s-era QB.  Actually, I'll just go ahead and say that Allen > Kelly IMO.    

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this team is forging its own identity, one in which all Bills teams past and present may end up being compared to.

This is really the thing, though.  There's a high likelihood that we're living through a new golden age of Bills football.  I hope everybody enjoys it because we know it won't last forever.  Here's hoping to a solid decade or so of dominance.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

This team won't party itself out of multiple Championships, like the '90's team(s) did.

I don't know about "multiple". The Bills should have won the Giants game. The Redskins just flat out kicked the **** out of them. The Cowboys were the better team. The turnovers in the first Cowboys game didn't help.

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Sorry gotta call you on this.

Will Wolford made 3 Pro Bowls as a Bill.   So did Kent Hull.   Jim Richer and House Ballard also made 2 each.  So 10 Pro Bowl appearances for the 90s team to none for current Bills.

That 90s Oline was very good at both run and pass blocking.  Not true today. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Sorry gotta call you on this.

Will Wolford made 3 Pro Bowls as a Bill.   So did Kent Hull.   Jim Richer and House Ballard also made 2 each.  So 10 Pro Bowl appearances for the 90s team to none for current Bills.

That 90s Oline was very good at both run and pass blocking.  Not true today. 

Yeah, you're right. Edge to the 90's OL. I think where I got accustomed to the putrid OL's we've seen it makes me see this one in a more favorable light. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like the current WR corp better than the 90's. But the 90's D is in front of the current defense until proven otherwise. I think Thurman, Davis, and Andre are huge mismatches for the current defense. But given our WR corp we may be able to put up enough points, especially with Josh being so mobile. 

My breakdown keeping in mind the different eras and how the game is played:

QB - Kelly for longevity, Allen just had the best single season in franchise history, and I don't think Kelly ever finished that high in MVP voting

RB - Thurman Thomas HOFer, end of story

WR - Current team, Diggs/Reed could be a push, but current team's depth is far superior. Lofton gave them 1-2 good years but then you have Beebe, Edwards, Brooks, etc. Brown/Sanders, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie are much better collectively

OL - Both competent groups, but as another post points out, Hull and Ritcher are on Bills' Wall of Fame, Wolford may have been the best of bunch but he left as a FA, Ballard also very good. I would take John Davis over Feliciano.

TE - 90s pair of Metzelaars and McKellar romp over present group. I'd take Butch Rolle over any current TE3

D front 7 is a little tougher because 90s played 3-4 and current team is 4-3.

DL - Bruce Smith is arguably the best player ever for the team, 90s are better. 

LB - Bennett/Talley/Conlan are a more accomplished group. I'll take Bennett over Edmunds and Talley over Milano. Very good units from both

DB - Today's team is better. Safeties are better, Tre White is better than Odomes, the other CB is a push.

K, P, LS - I'll take the current crew. 

ST non-kickers/coverage units - Tasker and Mark Pike made the 90s team elite they get the nod.

Depth - Current team

Coaching - To be determined...people will downplay Marv, but McDermott has to get to Super Bowls first. Marchibroda and Daboll is an interesting debate, McDermott/Frazier is better than Walt Corey on D. Bruce DeHaven is one of the best ST coaches ever, Farwell is off to a nice start.

If the current team fulfills their promise/potential I think this ends up being an interesting topic in about 5 years. Right now I'll take the 90s Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Kelly over Allen.....Reich over Trubisky

Thurman over Singletary.....K Davis over Moss.....Gilliam over Gardner

Reed over Diggs.....Lofton over Sanders.....Beasley over Beebe.....Davis over Edwards

Metzelaars over Knox.....Mckellar over Hollister

Wolford over Dawkins.....Richter over Ford.....Hull over Morse.....Feliciano over Davis.....Ballard over Williams

Bruce over Anyone.....Oliver over Wright.....Lotulelei over Lodish.....Hansen over Addison

Bennett over Edmunds.....Talley over Milano.....Conlan over Klein.....Bailey over A Smith

White over Odomes.....Jackson over Wallace.....T Johnson over J Williams.....D Jackson over Hicks

Poyer over H Jones.....Hyde over Kelso

Bass over Norwood/Christie.....Mohr over Haack

Tasker over everyone else on SPT

WR2 Lofton was getting old and Sanders is by reputation only.  Unknown but tie goes to the HOFer.

RG is also a push, but I like Feliciano's nastiness

Poyer is better all around, but H Jones was a playmaker. Really close.

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

My breakdown keeping in mind the different eras and how the game is played:

QB - Kelly for longevity, Allen just had the best single season in franchise history, and I don't think Kelly ever finished that high in MVP voting

RB - Thurman Thomas HOFer, end of story

WR - Current team, Diggs/Reed could be a push, but current team's depth is far superior. Lofton gave them 1-2 good years but then you have Beebe, Edwards, Brooks, etc. Brown/Sanders, Beasley, Davis, McKenzie are much better collectively

OL - Both competent groups, but as another post points out, Hull and Ritcher are on Bills' Wall of Fame, Wolford may have been the best of bunch but he left as a FA, Ballard also very good. I would take John Davis over Feliciano.

TE - 90s pair of Metzelaars and McKellar romp over present group. I'd take Butch Rolle over any current TE3

D front 7 is a little tougher because 90s played 3-4 and current team is 4-3.

DL - Bruce Smith is arguably the best player ever for the team, 90s are better. 

LB - Bennett/Talley/Conlan are a more accomplished group. I'll take Bennett over Edmunds and Talley over Milano. Very good units from both

DB - Today's team is better. Safeties are better, Tre White is better than Odomes, the other CB is a push.

K, P, LS - I'll take the current crew. 

ST non-kickers/coverage units - Tasker and Mark Pike made the 90s team elite they get the nod.

Depth - Current team

Coaching - To be determined...people will downplay Marv, but McDermott has to get to Super Bowls first. Marchibroda and Daboll is an interesting debate, McDermott/Frazier is better than Walt Corey on D. Bruce DeHaven is one of the best ST coaches ever, Farwell is off to a nice start.

If the current team fulfills their promise/potential I think this ends up being an interesting topic in about 5 years. Right now I'll take the 90s Bills. 

I would disagree with the Punter.

Chris Mohr was the second best punter in franchise history.

• Like (+1) 1

In this hypothetical, are we getting like peak Kelly, Reed, Bruce and MVP Thurman???

If so I don’t see how you bet against that, even though I think Josh will be the most talented and accomplished QB ever to play for this franchise once his career comes to a close in 2045… The dual threat of Thurman vs the current iterations struggle against the run combined with Kelly’s ability to run the no huddle and mix it up.  

It would look a lot like the infamous “No punt game” vs the Niners

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I take the 90s Bills.  I think they're built to beat the current team.  You beat this Bills team by running it down their throat and making them run the ball on offense.  Don't think this current team would take advantage of the small 90's defensive line or be able to stop Thurman and Kenny Davis from running the ball like crazy.  Just my opinion.

todays league is passing league though so kinda unfair to say this considering the team is built for todays success which is why comparing eras is dumb. 90s players were not as fast or agile as todays athletes simply because the technology, health, and training just doesn't compare.

I think it depends on what team you're comparing from the nineties..... The Bills never really replaced Lofton, House or Will Wolford and those were three super-solid players for that team. The Bills were weaker after their departure. Plus we lost Nate Odoms to FA as well. All very good Bills.

Then it is so hard to compare defenses now but I think the old Bills have it at LB for sure but the new Bills have secondary because of Hyde and Poyer. Bruce Smith was largely alone imho on the line but he was Bruce Smith. Hanson was OK. Jeff Wright was OK but we also always needed a true NT like Ted Washington. 

On offense, I like Allen better, I like our depth way better. The Old Bills featured the hell out of Thurman, Kelly and Andre Reed And they were indeed great players. The Bills SB OL kind of fell apart as it went to FA. ....

IDK?

This team is way deeper at the moment but maybe the old Bills show what is going to happen to our current team? Yikes!

Though the old Bills lost Marchibroda and Polian. We're going to lose our Marchibroda but hopefully not our Polian.

i sure hope losing Daboll doesn't handicap us too bad. Brian understands offense. How to call plays. Why to call plays. And how to set up a defense. He knows it all. He can coach any position. He's a stud. We need chess players behind him. We'll find out next year if we have them or not.

2 hours ago, Craig Oi said:

In the first few years, it was tough to know how many HOFers that team would have (Save for Bruce). By the same token, we may have several future HOFers on the current roster - we just dont know it yet. 

One aspect that hasnt been discussed yet is the coaching. AS it stands today, I will say McDermott looks to be better than Levy in terms of personnel management and individual coaching (on and off the field). 

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

You don't always know you have hall of famers until well into or even after their careers. This team very well could have future hall of famers on it right now.

You said it first

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

You don't always know you have hall of famers until well into or even after their careers. This team very well could have future hall of famers on it right now.

Kelly, Thurman, and Bruce all had the HOF aura around them, almost from the start. Hype that just kept growing.

Allen and Diggs are probably the only one with those vibes right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Elite QB? Check

Elite WR? Check

WR depth? Check

RB's? 90's all day

TE? Edge 90's

DL? We have no Bruce or Biscuit, but I like our group. Edge 90's

LB's? Check

CB's? Our CB depth on those 90's teams was better than ours now

S's? I'd take Poyer and Hyde

K? Absolutely check. Bass-o-matic

ST? Hard to say

If Rousseau does in the Regular Season what he's doing right now? Man, everything will look better. LB's, Secondary, it will open up more opportunities for TO's if QB's are having to rush throws. It will also force some sacks Hughes' way as well because of the pressure from the other side. Epenesa looks better. Hopefully Addison has a stronger campaign than last year. Oliver seems to be getting after it. We've all heard the reports about Star. We could really be there in the end hoisting the Lombardi. Right now I'd liken us to the Peyton Manning led Colts who had to get past the Patriots. The Chiefs are in that Patriots role now days. Still, this team feels different than those 90's teams. They are a closer knit group imo and I really feel like we will finally get it done, bring one home to Buffalo.  

These current Bills have good special teams but the old Bills had great special teams, with Christie, Pike and Tasker.

The Old Bills had no depth at WR.

OL depends what year. New Bills after House and Wolford left for certain. Mitch Morse is freakin' good.

LBs has to go to old Bills hands down with Biscuit, Daryl, and Conlan.

Poyer And Hyde by a landslide.

Finally, Bruce alone wins DL. Bruuuuuuuuccccce......Maybe this year the new team wins.

• Like (+1) 1