Justin Fields saved the Bears' leadership from total embarrassment vs. the Bills

HOUSE

image.png.6260005dcc7806883827cceed3ffaed4.png

Thank goodness for Justin Fields.

Otherwise, the Chicago Bears brass would’ve had an absurdly embarrassing preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. Don’t get me wrong. It was plenty embarrassing for Bears general manager Ryan Pace. He decided to sign quarterback Andy Dalton for $10 million in 2021, rather than retain Mitchell Trusbisky, who ultimately signed with the Bills for $2.5 million in 2021.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/08/21/bears-justin-fields-andy-dalton-bills-mitchell-trubisky/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Did Fields secretly play well against third stringers, or did I miss something ? Fields didn’t save anyone yesterday imo. Great article on Trubisky embarrassing the Bears though. I greatly enjoyed watching that, after being the guy who said preseason story lines don’t do much for me. I’m glad I was wrong. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.6260005dcc7806883827cceed3ffaed4.png

Thank goodness for Justin Fields.

Otherwise, the Chicago Bears brass would’ve had an absurdly embarrassing preseason game against the Buffalo Bills. Don’t get me wrong. It was plenty embarrassing for Bears general manager Ryan Pace. He decided to sign quarterback Andy Dalton for $10 million in 2021, rather than retain Mitchell Trusbisky, who ultimately signed with the Bills for $2.5 million in 2021.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/08/21/bears-justin-fields-andy-dalton-bills-mitchell-trubisky/

Said it last night they have to start Fields for me. Dalton is totally shot. He was bad last year in Dallas I don't know who watched that and decided he was the answer. They are in a bit of a mess because Fields isn't ready and is raw and reminds me in many ways of Josh in his rookie pre-season but whereas at that point McDermott and Beane were at the start of something, had the credit in the bank of breaking the drought and could afford to let Josh take his lumps as a rook, Nagy and Pace are on the hotseat. If they don't win they are out.

Dysfunctional mess. Which is basically what the Bears have been since they fired Lovie Smith.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5

18 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Did Fields secretly play well against third stringers, or did I miss something ? Fields didn’t save anyone yesterday imo. Great article on Trubisky embarrassing the Bears though. I greatly enjoyed watching that, after being the guy who said preseason story lines don’t do much for me. I’m glad I was wrong. 

Well he did take that personal foul penalty that eliminated a sack/turnover that got them a 15 yd gain and a rushing TD by the RB on the next play in a 41-6 game.

So I guess he kind of did something ;)

Edited by JMF2006
RB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6

Sadly for us, there’s a fine coming for the helmet to helmet, Play of the Day. Fields was idiotic for not addressing an unblocked DE on a short dropback and he’s so small, you can’t get under him w/o being flagged for going too low.

🤬

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Fields gives them the best chance to win behind that OL. He will be running for his life.....a lot. At least he will have some exciting moments. I think Nagy and Pace are both gone after this season. I also think Chicago is where Bienemy actually gets his first crack at a HC gig as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Fields was fun to watch and certainly more dynamic than Dalton, but he has a long way to go.  His game yesterday was very Tyrod like.  Anointing him the savior of the Bears is very premature in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEKEpmhqN6Fn9HGrX7ONttqMqGQgEKhAIACoHCAowsbfwCjCm2LoCMKKS4wU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Saw this headline this morning and thought the same thing.

WTH did his performance, against the guys who won’t make the Bills team, do to boost Chicago fan’s hope?

This preseason game will be rehashed on TBD for years in a positive fashion. Something , no other preseason game has ever done in my memory.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, H2o said:

Fields gives them the best chance to win behind that OL. He will be running for his life.....a lot. At least he will have some exciting moments. I think Nagy and Pace are both gone after this season. I also think Chicago is where Bienemy actually gets his first crack at a HC gig as well. 

Daboll landing spot???

Talk about putting out your “ Coaching prowess” resume for all to see. He took their garbage QB and smacked them in the mouth with him repeatedly and decisively. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Daboll landing spot???

Talk about putting out your “ Coaching prowess” resume for all to see. He took their garbage QB and smacked them in the mouth with him repeatedly and decisively. 

And there are some Josh / Justin similarities. I could see it. 

• Agree 1

While it’s an asset for  a QB to extend plays and/or make some runs.. it’s their arm that will make them a great one. Need to see more from Fields throwing the ball, then we can start talking about being a starting QB let alone a franchise one

Edited by BfloBillsFan
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Daboll landing spot???

It's possible, but it's also the preseason where many of a team's starting unit isn't on the field. I put yesterday's performance more on Trubisky. You know he was hype and super dialed in all week long for his shot at Chicago. He went out and executed. Mitch was not a "garbage QB" in his time there. Two trips to the playoffs and was a double-doink away from leading a comeback victory against the defending SB champs. He just didn't match up the return with what they shelled out for him. Then combine that with how they passed on some other QB's they shouldn't have to take him, Nagy/Pace doing whatever they possibly can trying to save their jobs, and here we are. 

Fields going 9-19 for 80 yards (4.2 YPA) against 3rd stringers and players who won't be in football in about 2 weeks isn't cause to celebrate.  And what Mitchell did, playing with a lot of Bills non-starters, to their starting defense was humiliating.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Said it last night they have to start Fields for me. Dalton is totally shot. He was bad last year in Dallas I don't know who watched that and decided he was the answer. They are in a bit of a mess because Fields isn't ready and is raw and reminds me in many ways of Josh in his rookie pre-season but whereas at that point McDermott and Beane were at the start of something, had the credit in the bank of breaking the drought and could afford to let Josh take his lumps as a rook, Nagy and Pace are on the hotseat. If they don't win they are out.

Dysfunctional mess. Which is basically what the Bears have been since they fired Lovie Smith.

Dalton had none of his starting WRs on the field.    I don't think teams make decisions based on a preseason game results.

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Dalton had none of his starting WRs on the field.    I don't think teams make decisions based on a preseason game results.

Mitch Trubisky had no starting WRs either ?

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Actually, he had everyone except Robinson.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

10 million for Andy Dalton?  Inflation is killing this country :w00t:

What is really odd is they also have Foles on roster.  Two very experienced QBs and one rookie who looks good running around but does not know how to buckle his helmet properly.  The Bears fans of course like the rookie for he is exciting but you cannot build a team on him.

11 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Fields was 9 of 19, yes he is a rookie so not a reason for alarm. 

The Bears brass looked incompetent for letting Mitch go tho.... 

I fear Fields will be in the same boat as Burrow.  They are both quality QB prospects who are victims of incompetent franchises.  Chicago probably did make the right move letting Trubisky go, but they stepped in with their Dalton and Foles moves.  Oh, and their work on the OL has been a joke.  No many rookies can take the beating Allen did.  Burrow couldn’t and it’s doubtful Fields can if/when he gets thrown out there. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

It's possible, but it's also the preseason where many of a team's starting unit isn't on the field. I put yesterday's performance more on Trubisky. You know he was hype and super dialed in all week long for his shot at Chicago. He went out and executed. Mitch was not a "garbage QB" in his time there. Two trips to the playoffs and was a double-doink away from leading a comeback victory against the defending SB champs. He just didn't match up the return with what they shelled out for him. Then combine that with how they passed on some other QB's they shouldn't have to take him, Nagy/Pace doing whatever they possibly can trying to save their jobs, and here we are. 

Garbage in the sense they threw him away. I agree he was a competent starter and I’m surprised we got him. 
  As to how Chicago viewed yesterday, they are the ones who over drafted MT so I’m holding their scouting prowess suspect at this point.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

No, and nor did Fields. I know what Dalton is. I saw it last year in Dallas. It is bad. And that was WITH Cooper and Zeke and Gallup and CeeDee and a better line. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

McD started Peterman ahead of Josh 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD started Peterman ahead of Josh 

Indeed at it lasted 30 minutes of football. Same as the Texans starting Tom Savage instead of Watson. Dalton will go the same way IMO. While his career is clearly ahead of a Peterman or Savage his play last year was really bad.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Fields will go on to be a great qb but he's a rookie. He's going to take his lumps.

At times he will look lost and struggle with playbook and have bad games.

But the talent is undeniably there. It's just going to take time

Where? He runs scatter brained like the cops are chasing him, but he has no plan and his passes are NOT NFL worthy. Yet another in decades-long futility for Da Bears QB issues.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

Fields was fun to watch and certainly more dynamic than Dalton, but he has a long way to go.  His game yesterday was very Tyrod like.  Anointing him the savior of the Bears is very premature in my opinion.

Hearing the game announcers talk up his "athleticism" and play making with his legs sounded awfully familiar to me yesterday.   It's almost as if they really didn't have anything else to talk about with him.  Hmm.......

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

It's obvious that Fields has more raw talent than Dalton. Unfortunately for him how good he'll become depends on the Bears coaches. He has Josh Allen's potential but it has to be developed.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott and Beane were at the start of something, had the credit in the bank of breaking the drought and could afford to let Josh take his lumps as a rook, Nagy and Pace are on the hotseat. If they don't win they are out.

Sadly, Fields will have a nicely improved sophomore year when Daboll arrives as his new HC. 😥

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

I did not notice Diggs or Beasley.  

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I've said I think he'll be a bust, but seeing Josh had told me to give a QB until his 3rd season to show something.  So I'll reserve final judgment until then.

Something? Did you completely miss Josh's first two seasons. He showed tons. 

A lot of guy have/had the physical tools.  It's the mental ability that's the difference.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Something? Did you completely miss Josh's first two seasons. He showed tons. 

Fair point.  But I didn't think he'd become a top-flight passer like he showed last year.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No, and nor did Fields. I know what Dalton is. I saw it last year in Dallas. It is bad. And that was WITH Cooper and Zeke and Gallup and CeeDee and a better line. 

I agree. I was majorly disappointed in Dalton last year. When Dak went down I thought no big deal. Dalton is going to do pretty well with one of the best offensive supporting casts he's played with. Then he proceeded to play like crap.

I like what I see from Fields. They should throw Dalton out there as a sacrificial lame to start the season on the road against Aaron Donald sort of how the Bills started Peterman on the road against the Ravens. Let Fields play in mop up duty or start the following week. 

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

9 out of 19 (47% completion) for 80 yds (4.2 ypa) plus 46 yds on the ground.

Punt, TOD, TD, Punt, FG, TOD.

One could argue that Dalton did better with 11/17 (64.7% completion) for 146 (8.6 ypa), 1 TD 1 INT - it would actually translate to almost 300 yds passing over a game.

But, Fields is the New Shiny.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm not that familiar with the Bears starting lineup. 

This article seems to think they did not play starters:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nagy-reiterates-andy-dalton-will-start-week-1-for-bears-we-need-to-see-him-in-th

Chicago sat a majority of its starters -- including David Montgomery, Allen Robinson, Cole Kmet and some O-linemen -- so the reasoning behind the extended look at Dalton wasn't to build rapport with the first-string players.

I'm not familiar with the Bears roster so I can't tell you who, on this list, is expected to start:

image.thumb.png.b2570403fc6e9bf461de2d8f98bd9ff4.png