Overreaction Saturday…whatcha got after BUF/DET?

eball

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've been saying all offseason that the hype for Kumerow and Hodgins and everyone writing off Stevenson to the Practice Squad was misguided - given his speed and return ability. Only one Preseason game, but it rang true last night.

We saw almost nothing of Hodgins, and even less of Kumerow. Personally, going into this game, I would certainly put Stevenson ahead of Hodgins (if only for his speed), but what happened last night that put Stevenson in the lead? It's pretty hard to read too much into preseason plays made in the fourth quarter.

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

He kinda reminded me of Lee Smith, and that's not an insult. He's not fast-- a bit lumbering. He's not going to juke any CBs. But, color commentators aren't going to refer to him as "blocking tight end Tommy Sweeney," the way they did with Lee Smith.

Minus the holding/Offside penalties 

7 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I live in Atlanta and have 2 kids at UGA so I get to see a lot of their games. When you give Fromm the things you reference its really obvious that he's still the weak link. Even the desperation 4th throw last night doesn't make we want to give him a roster spot. There is just too much talent currently that I'd prefer on the 53 

I don’t know much about Fromm, but I wouldn’t call his pass a “desperation 4th down throw.”  Under pressure, he threw a real clutch beauty of a pass that won us the game. Maybe he is just a PSer, but that was a clutch play. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MJS said:

Someone literally said Stevenson could be our Tyreek Hill.

No I said his game and style has the look of Tyreek's and that I bet if you looked up who he watches the most tape on it would be Hill.....I was right:

NFL mentors and who he compares his game to.  

E0VDWfBXsAIK_Ik.jpg:large

Not saying he will be Hill.

I like this kid and if right now you had to ask me him or McKenzie pick 1 and only 1 can make the team I'm taking the higher upside rookie.  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Yet he wasn't great in returning kicks either. I like Isiah don't get me wrong but Stevenson is cheaper under contract longer and might be a better be better return man. Isiah isn't a lock.

On what basis might Stevenson be better? The kick return battle was a complete non event against Detroit. Isaiah had one for 24 yards and Stevenson had one for 25. 

15 hours ago, 17islongenough said:

Bobby Hart may be the worst sports player ever

Now THIS is a great addition to the thread.  Bobby Hart sucked Friday night and we all saw it, but by adding “worst sports player ever” you took it into overreaction mode.  Well done.

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, eball said:

Lots of threads and comments about who looked good/bad so I won’t rehash that.  What are some of your boldest takes after one preseason game?

Mine:

• Hodgins is in trouble; one catch but then hurt again, and Stevenson made big-time plays in crunch time.
  • Cody Ford is back and will be one of our best O-lineman.
  • With Davis Webb looking competent Mitch Trubisky could be traded.

TrueBiscuit isn't going anywhere there is absolutely no possibility of trading a proven NFL QB to keep a guy with Zero experience when your aspiration are the SB.

He is the cheap insurance policy that a lot of teams would kill for.....he is better than 1/2 this leagues starters.

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

WGR Caller:

"Yeah guys, long time first time here. Hey, I was thinking, after watching Fromm make that comeback at the end of the game... is Josh really a 4th Qtr QB? Or is it all just Dabol's system? Did we just waste $250M? I'll hang up and listen. Thanks."

WGR Caller:

WGR:  “Mike from Tonawanda you’re on.”

Mike: “…”

WGR: “Mike, you’re on, go ahead.”

Mike: “Hello?”

WGR: “Mike, turn down your radio.  You’re on.”

Mike: “Am I on?”

WGR: “Mike, please.”

Mike: “Hi, this is Mike from Tonawanda.”

WGR: “WHAT’S YOUR QUESTION, Mike.”

Mike: “How you guys doing?”

WGR:  “Mike, your question or comment.”

Mike: “We need to get rid of Daboll before he leaves and puts us in a bad spot at OC.”

WGR: “Commercial break.”

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 5

20 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Holding the Microsoft tablet with 1 hand by Josh Allen was loosey goosy. Was close to fumbling it a few times. 2 hands on the tablet!!  😃

It's that arrogant arm of his.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

On what basis might Stevenson be better? The kick return battle was a complete non event against Detroit. Isaiah had one for 24 yards and Stevenson had one for 25. 

To me a good returner just catches it and runs. I can't explain it but just a feeling or watching it. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

To me a good returner just catches it and runs. I can't explain it but just a feeling or watching it. 

McKenzie has return success in the league. Indeed the issue the first time the Bills used him in that role was ball security. So long as he holds onto the ball I think he is their best option still for now. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McKenzie has return success in the league. Indeed the issue the first time the Bills used him in that role was ball security. So long as he holds onto the ball I think he is their best option still for now. 

Time will tell, I like Isiah I really do but don't think he has Stevenson's upside.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Time will tell, I like Isiah I really do but don't think he has Stevenson's upside.

I'll admit I am a Mckensie fan, so I may be a little biased.  But, I have an honest question (no sarcasm, no agenda) just a question. What upside do you see in Stevenson over Mckensie?

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I'll admit I am a Mckensie fan, so I may be a little biased.  But, I have an honest question (no sarcasm, no agenda) just a question. What upside do you see in Stevenson over Mckensie?

I think McKenzie has maxed out what he can be aka a gadget type player. I think Stevenson could be a dynamic KR or #2 WR in a few years.

22 hours ago, Simon said:

Andre Smith has developed so nicely that the Bills won't be forced into a situation where they have to overpay Tremaine Edmunds.

Funny how every other LB that steps onto the field in this defense makes plays like that except Edmunds though.

4 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

And critically can it be unveiled this year? Because the Bills are in their window. You keep the best players at this point not the guys who might be better in 3 years time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I can’t answer for him, but imo, size and straight line speed.  

I prefer mckenzie over Stevenson, but I feel that mckenzies best talent is acceleration, start/ stop explosion.  He can get to top speed quickly while also maintaining the ability to stop and go instantly.  I don’t think Stevenson has that type of instant explosion.  

Lets see if i can do this right...

they didnt let Trubisky throw the ball, fromm wins game from behind so obviously they dont trust Trubisky to throw the ball and 

fromm is going to take is place now.   

3/4 th stringers cant tackle..obviously this is a problem from the coaching staff that will effect the entire D this year.   ( D probably doomed now)

both Spenser Brown and Tommy Doyle looked like they still need work.... Obviously the Bills cant draft well and our entire future is now Doomed.   

I think its pretty obvious after barely squeaking by the Lions that last year was a fluke and we probably win 6 games this year.   

P.S.   remember the op topic before pitchforks are gathered.   

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And critically can it be unveiled this year? Because the Bills are in their window. You keep the best players at this point not the guys who might be better in 3 years time. 

We might be in a window but you can't be short sighted enough to not also build for a time when Sanders and Beasley won't be here which could be in two seasons.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

We might be in a window but you can't be short sighted enough to not also build for a time when Sanders and Beasley won't be here which could be in two seasons.

But Stevenson is a 6th round lottery ticket. He has to beat someone out to make it this year. I am not sacrificing someone who is better now for a lottery ticket.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I can’t answer for him, but imo, size and straight line speed.  

I prefer mckenzie over Stevenson, but I feel that mckenzies best talent is acceleration, start/ stop explosion.  He can get to top speed quickly while also maintaining the ability to stop and go instantly.  I don’t think Stevenson has that type of instant explosion.  

Appreciate the response. As I don't watch college ball and looking at combine results, Mckensie and Stevenson are pretty close with a slight edge to Mckensie. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Lets see if i can do this right...

they didnt let Trubisky throw the ball, fromm wins game from behind so obviously they dont trust Trubisky to throw the ball and 

fromm is going to take is place now.   

3/4 th stringers cant tackle..obviously this is a problem from the coaching staff that will effect the entire D this year.   ( D probably doomed now)

both Spenser Brown and Tommy Doyle looked like they still need work.... Obviously the Bills cant draft well and our entire future is now Doomed.   

I think its pretty obvious after barely squeaking by the Lions that last year was a fluke and we probably win 6 games this year.   

P.S.   remember the op topic before pitchforks are gathered.   

Sorry if your PS comment was directed towards me. Didn't mean to step on someone else's lawn.😉

19 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Valid I'm not saying we can't keep both this season either.

We’ve never kept 7 WRs.  That’s the biggest issue Stevenson has to overcome to make the team imo.  

I’d like to see what how he looks matched up against corners that will be playing every Sunday come September.  He smoked that guy pretty good.  If he can deal with press coverage and can get that angle on the guy covering him, I want him on the team long term.  Just might not be for the 2020 season.  Our offense could use a true deep speed threat.

2 hours ago, JV14 said:

Matt Haack is the best holder in the league, maybe in the history of the NFL.  

Is anyone worried that Haack will get a kick blocked. He is slow getting it off and takes an extra step. What was his record in Miami in this regard ?

17 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

We saw almost nothing of Hodgins, and even less of Kumerow. Personally, going into this game, I would certainly put Stevenson ahead of Hodgins (if only for his speed), but what happened last night that put Stevenson in the lead? It's pretty hard to read too much into preseason plays made in the fourth quarter.

Hodgins did nothing and injured his knee. Kumerow did nothing. Stevenson made a big play to win the game for us and flashed his speed and shiftiness in returns. Like I said, it's only one Preseason game, but compared to the other two who did literally nothing - Stevenson showed some stuff.