Training Camp Practice and Media Sessions 8/6

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is so nice to hear.  Looking phenomenal is the new Normal!

If he's more muscular, he may have a very "dense" body and look slender for his weight

I’m dense, lack the overt physicality of muscularity and it’s been said I  look heavy for my height.  

I’m ok though, just taking it one day at a time. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm thinking back on all the years of hoping any Bills QB at camp will make a few decent throws, as I'm reading this:

Friday morning, Allen put on a clinic on Day 8 of Bills training camp. Sean McDermott dialed up a number of red zone drills for his team to battle near the goal line and Allen was precise with the football. He made four throws that made everybody watching shake their head.

The first highlight came on a throw to Gabriel Davis, who had to make an impressive catch himself to get both feet down in bounds. Allen saw Davis running right to left and in the back of the end zone entering some open space. Safety Micah Hyde was the closest defender in coverage and Allen put the ball over his head and Davis did the rest.

The next series Allen had Isaiah Hodgins lined up on his left side and put a ball on him quickly with Tre’Davious White guarding him one-on-one. The ball came out quick and Hodgins made the grab and then had to fight to get into the end zone as White tried his best to keep him out. The second-year receiver made it in for the score.

A few plays later it was almost too easy as Allen found Cole Beasley, who beat Taron Johnson with a quick juke move and got open for a touchdown. A few minutes later, Allen went back to Beasley on the other side of the field for an easy touchdown. Daryl Williams and Cody Ford both had great protection in their battles against Greg Rousseau and Ed Oliver, respectively.

To wrap up his day of wow plays, Allen rolled out to his left and it looked like he had no available targets as he closed in on the sideline. But just as he was about to reach the out of bounds line he effortlessly pitched the ball about 15 yards to a suddenly wide open Tommy Sweeney in the back of the end zone. I just wrote “LOL” in my notebook.

A few other highlights:

Davis and Hodgins stepping up

With all the Jake Kumerow hype in recent days it’s easy to forget what Davis and Hodgins bring to the table. They both provided reminders on Friday. For Hodgins, a big day was just what the doctor ordered as he may be in a roster battle with Kumerow this summer. Davis is a roster lock and has been consistent throughout camp. Today he shined, though. He made three catches but the touchdown from Allen was a high-level concentration catch.

Davis has apparently looked good since the pads came on. That's an encouraging sign, especially if Sanders foot injury lingers throughout the season.

Knox can’t haul in TD pass

One day after the horrible drop with nobody even close to him, Knox had an opportunity to make a big-time grab in the end zone and he couldn’t bring it in. Matt Milano had really good coverage but the ball was a true 50/50 chance. Milano had great coverage and had a hand in there, but it’s a play Knox simply has to make.

It might be time to accept that Knox just isn't going to develop into a true #1 TE. I guess we'll see. I'm still hoping we land Ertz before the season. I don't want Knox's hands deciding an important game or God forbid a playoff game.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

the dude is way too light at 6'5 255.  He is going up against guys his height who are at least 60-70 pounds heavier then him.  WTH is going on there?  My son is about 6'1 and a half and around 255 or so going into training camp at Georgia Southern this year playing DE.  I would think AJ should be pushing at least 270.  Its a big man's game.  We don't need our D Lineman looking like NBA forwards.  

That's cute. I remember when I had my first beer...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

the dude is way too light at 6'5 255.  He is going up against guys his height who are at least 60-70 pounds heavier then him.  WTH is going on there?  My son is about 6'1 and a half and around 255 or so going into training camp at Georgia Southern this year playing DE.  I would think AJ should be pushing at least 270.  Its a big man's game.  We don't need our D Lineman looking like NBA forwards.  

So let's benchmark against the best edge rushers, as judged by everyone with 9 or more QB sacks last season (OLBs in 3-4 plus DE in 4-3):

TJ Watt (OLB), 6'4" 252

Trey Hendrickson (DE), 6'4" 270

Haason Reddick (OLB) 6'1" 235

Za'Darius Smith (OLB) 6'4" 272

Myles Garrett (DE) 6'4" 272

Leonard Floyd (OLB) 6'5", 240

Romeo Okwara (DE) 6'4", 263

Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB) 6'5, 275

Brian Burns (EDGE), 6'5", 250

Khalil Mack (OLB), 6'3" 269

Montez Sweat (EDGE) 6'6", 262

Emmanuel Ogbah (DE) 6'4", 275

Oliver Vernon (DE) 6'2", 262

Those are college weights, so any of those guys may have adopted a heavier or a lighter playing weight

I think the take-home is, for success in rushing the passer, there's not one "right weight". 

There are guys like Hendrickson, Smith, and Pierre-Paul who are heavier.

There are guys like Watt, Floyd, Burns, and Sweat who are lighter.

It probably depends upon specifics of their individual frame and the weight at which they get the most power.

At 6'5" and 260, Epenesa seems as though he'd slot right in

It sounds as though your son's coaches want him to play heavier, and evidently so did Epenesa's college coaches, but the Bills differ.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

There are quality DEs of that weight in the NFL but it is small.  Maybe one of the reasons why our run D is so dreadful, running teams can wear down guys that size.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

Media sure is gushing over JA17 throws today.  Uniformly gushing...

With the contract news he got this morning before practice and knowing his family and friends are set for life and to give a passing

performance as all are saying is a showing of this young mans character.

I really can't believe we got this guy as our teams QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I’m 6’5” and played at 255...as a TE. That is light for a DE. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let's benchmark against the best edge rushers, as judged by everyone with 9 or more QB sacks last season (OLBs in 3-4 plus DE in 4-3):

TJ Watt (OLB), 6'4" 252

Trey Hendrickson (DE), 6'4" 270

Haason Reddick (OLB) 6'1" 235

Za'Darius Smith (OLB) 6'4" 272

Myles Garrett (DE) 6'4" 272

Leonard Floyd (OLB) 6'5", 240

Romeo Okwara (DE) 6'4", 263

Jason Pierre-Paul (OLB) 6'5, 275

Brian Burns (EDGE), 6'5", 250

Khalil Mack (OLB), 6'3" 269

Montez Sweat (EDGE) 6'6", 262

Emmanuel Ogbah (DE) 6'4", 275

Oliver Vernon (DE) 6'2", 262

Those are college weights, so any of those guys may have adopted a heavier or a lighter playing weight

I think the take-home is, for success in rushing the passer, there's not one "right weight". 

There are guys like Hendrickson, Smith, and Pierre-Paul who are heavier.

There are guys like Watt, Floyd, Burns, and Sweat who are lighter.

It probably depends upon specifics of their individual frame and the weight at which they get the most power.

At 6'5" and 260, Epenesa seems as though he'd slot right in

It sounds as though your son's coaches want him to play heavier, and evidently so did Epenesa's college coaches, but the Bills differ.

Bruuuuuuuuccccce played at around 265 and he was never overpowered.......

IDK? Bruce was 2" shorter....

As long as AJ has really developed those gluteus maximuses....

Snippets from today's Athletic report:

Josh Allen started his day knowing that he would sign a contract that would make him the highest-paid player in NFL history. Armed with that knowledge, Allen went out onto the practice field and delivered the type of practice you would expect from a quarterback with that type of contract.

The Bills focused heavily on red-zone work Friday, and Allen was tough to stop. A year ago, Allen passed for 25 touchdowns and completed 63-percent of his passes in the red zone. He didn’t throw a single interception. So the Bills’ defense shouldn’t be too ashamed that Allen threw five touchdowns during red-zone work at practice Friday.

The best of the bunch was a throw to the corner of the end zone for Gabriel Davis, who matched the throw with a phenomenal grab over the defender. The work Davis did to get his feet down was as impressive as his ability to track the ball in traffic.

Beasley is still a nightmare in the red zone
When you think of a red-zone receiver, size usually comes to mind. But Cole Beasley showed Friday why he and other smaller receivers can be a problem near the goal line.

On two different occasions, Beasley ran a quick route toward the inside and was open within seconds of the snap for easy touchdown throws from Allen. Stefon Diggs showed a similar quality in the red zone last season. The Bills have multiple receivers who can get open quickly. When you’re working with smaller windows close to the end zone, getting open in a hurry matters. That’s why Allen likes looking for Beasley in the red zone. The variety of targets Allen has are what make this passing offense so dangerous in that area of the field. It doesn’t hurt that Allen can move as well. This offense is tough to defend in tight spaces.

Dawson Knox has a quiet day
Through a week of training camp, Dawson Knox hasn’t shown signs of the type of breakout season the Bills are hoping for. He hasn’t been bad, but he’s had a few drops and hasn’t managed to make the tough catches. Allen threw a pass to Knox in the end zone, and though it would have been a tough catch, Knox got his hands on it and couldn’t bring it in for the touchdown. What’s more, Tommy Sweeney managed to secure a touchdown from Allen later in practice.

I’m not saying the Bills or fans should abandon hope in Knox. It just might be time to consider what his ceiling is as a player. He has the talent to be a top-end tight end in the league, but as long as the concentration issues persist, he might not reach that potential. Knox has shown plenty of ability as a blocker and makes the occasional big play, but the Bills need to see more if they are going to give him a larger percentage of the targets in 2021.

Isaiah Hodgins turning a corner
Isaiah Hodgins wasn’t the most noteworthy receiver in the first few days of camp, but he’s started to show some promise. On Friday, he caught a touchdown from Allen on a quick route toward the sideline. For a bigger player, Hodgins has the ability to work in tight spaces.

A flash play from Ed Oliver
Ed Oliver wrecked a play during team drills. He won his rush with a quick move to the inside and got into the backfield for what would have been, at worst, a pressure on Allen. Those are the type of plays Oliver was used to making constantly during his college career, and he’s still trying to generate more of them in the NFL. But between minor injuries and having to command more double teams last season, he’s had to impact the game in other ways.

Isaiah McKenzie with another busy day
Isaiah McKenzie has been a constant presence at Bills training camp. Once again, he was active Friday, getting multiple touches during red-zone work. When it comes to the depth receivers in this offense, McKenzie has carved out a niche and clearly has the trust of Allen and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

Ike Boettger working his way back quickly
Offensive lineman Ike Boettger spent the first part of camp on the COVID-19 reserve list, but it hasn’t taken him long to acclimate since returning. He had a few nice blocks on Oliver during practice Friday and doesn’t look too far behind. Boettger was a reliable starter for the Bills a year ago and should still factor into the equation when the Bills are determining their five best players to have in the starting lineup. Jon Feliciano and Cody Ford have the contract and the draft status, but Boettger deserves some consideration after the way he performed last season.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Bruce played in a different era.  His then nose tackle Jeff Wright played at 274,  How many 274 lb nose tackles are playin gin the nfl today?

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Bills can go six-wide. 

6 plus 6 is 12

Have to have

Lt

rt

rg

LG

one would think a center 

and a qb

well I will admit we haven't had a qb in like forever. 

They can go 5 wide yes

Edited by scuba guy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

6 plus 6 is 12

Have to have

Lt

rt

rg

LG

one would think a center 

and a qb

well I will admit we haven't had a qb in like forever. 

They can go 5 wide yes

Also, the offense must have at least five players with numbers between 50-79 on the field on every play. Sure, one can report as an eligible receiver, but that’s a very specialized use of an offensive lineman. 

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Bryce Paup 6'5" 247

Aaron Schobel 6'4" 243

Again, it's really a matter of the player's frame and athleticism, what weight they play best at

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Snippets from today's Athletic report:

Being the ‘Cantankeous’ old coot that I am, I vowed I’d never pay for a sports feed. It I’ve been shown the error of my way. The Athletic has great writers-both in content and flai. Plunked down the credit card earlier in the week and haven’t been disappointed!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m so happy for Josh and the organization.

I’m also continually baffled by the inability of the Bills PR department to provide a mic for the reporters asking a question.  I’ve heard several posters make the observation already but it’s just amazing that they don’t do it.  Please, for the love of all things good in the world, put a mic out for the reporters!

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is without question unforgettable.   The "High Level Business Meeting" line is maybe the most iconic thing ever written on this board.  

I thought I remember that said well prior by a poster named skooby, if I remember correctly. I think he also drove a bmw and wasn't afraid to tell you that.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh