Bills cap guy

dbfla10

Is Overdorf still the Bills Cap guy? If so he deserves almost as much credit as Beane. Obviously its Beanes call on what guys to sign, but the cap guy comes up with the contract and most the negotiation with the agent. 

Good to see the organization as a whole working together. Only took 20yrs

• Like (+1) 1

Don't forget Overdorf was also the guy writing the contracts back before Beane got here and put the Bills in cap hell i think Beane has a lot more input when it comes to that now because it's no where near what it use to be & most every contract is Bills friendly .

8 minutes ago, T master said:

Don't forget Overdorf was also the guy writing the contracts back before Beane got here and put the Bills in cap hell i think Beane has a lot more input when it comes to that now because it's no where near what it use to be & most every contract is Bills friendly .

Overdorf is wildly over criticized here and now the OP is actually praising him BUT NO Overdorf was not responsibl;e for putting us in cap hell nor does he deserve some credit  for our current situation..

People fail to understand Overdof is no much more than an accountant, he is a facilitator.  He is not responsible for the excesses we had in the past, it was largely  the GMs fault.  I recall when people when ballistic when I think it was Nix that said he would leave the contract for Mario up to others.  You dont want your gm spending hours in contract negotiations, you leave that up to the experts like Overdorf.

11 minutes ago, T master said:

Beane gives Overdorf a set of instructions, and Overdorf then follows them, the days of Overdorf having decision making authority are gone, and that is a very good thing. Beanes approval is a requirement on all contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Beane gives Overdorf a set of instructions, and Overdorf then follows them, the days of Overdorf having decision making authority are gone, and that is a very good thing. Beanes approval is a requirement on all contracts. 

This is kinda what I suspected.  Beane is in control.....Overdorf follows his lead and deals with the nitty gritty and what not.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Overdorf is wildly over criticized here and now the OP is actually praising him BUT NO Overdorf was not responsibl;e for putting us in cap hell nor does he deserve some credit  for our current situation..

People fail to understand Overdof is no much more than an accountant, he is a facilitator.  He is not responsible for the excesses we had in the past, it was largely  the GMs fault.  I recall when people when ballistic when I think it was Nix that said he would leave the contract for Mario up to others.  You dont want your gm spending hours in contract negotiations, you leave that up to the experts like Overdorf.

Overdorf earned that criticism. 

There is no mistake in questioning everything from 2000 - 2017 with the Bills. 

It was a Good ole' Boys Club of Ralph hanger on-ers, and that's not unfair. Overdorf, Modrak, Nix, John Guy, Brandon, Scott Berchtold, Littman (thank you RichRiderBills), Doug Whaley.

None of those guys contributed to anything remotely successful for for 17 years. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is A cap guy from his background in Carolina. Overdorf assists him with contracts and is also a cap guy. 

really? when was he their cap guy? Hes a communications major, finance is a big leap lol.

52 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Is Overdorf still the Bills Cap guy? If so he deserves almost as much credit as Beane. Obviously its Beanes call on what guys to sign, but the cap guy comes up with the contract and most the negotiation with the agent. 

I think he writes the contracts 

7 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

really? when was he their cap guy? Hes a communications major, finance is a big leap lol.

His experience as Assistant GM focused on managing the salary cap in Carolina. Most GMs lean toward scouting heavy or cap heavy as their experience and his was cap heavy and football ops. 

13 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

It’s not rocket science.  Much more important to sign the right guys.  Structure of the contract is the easy part.  Unlike the real world, when it comes to the cap the bill almost never comes due.  If you still want the player, there’s always a way to keep  pushing the cap hit to future years.  Take Mahomes or Josh for example.  They’re gonna be your QB for the next 12-15 years. There’s no reason to not push the cap hit way out into the future.  Half of us will be dead before the bill comes due.  

It is also worth saying on the Overdorf question that the Bills capologist job used to be a lot harder because they were a cash to cap team under Ralph. I say frequently the salary cap is an accounting cap not a spending cap but for cash to cap teams it is a spending cap. Basically the Bills would try and not spend any more cash in an actual year than the salary cap number. That really limits the flexibility of a GM and a capologist to manage the cap long term by manipulating your cap hits. If we want to talk about Whaley's time, well the reality is they gave out three really bad contracts. The Dareus deal was an expensive mistake, the Tyrod deal (as Rex's urging) never made sense to me and the Charles Clay deal was (and I said it when he signed) paying elite money to a guy who was just a good player. At one point he had the highest guaranteed percentage of any player in the league who was neither on a rookie deal or a Quarterback. Those deals were a big part in restricting the Bills flexibility but as I have said many times the "cap hell" thing was an overplayed narrative. The Bills were paying a lot of players the new coach didn't want. That was the problem, it wasn't that they had ruined their cap situation... it was that they were going to have to make a mess of it in order to clearout the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/15/2021 at 8:41 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Overdorf earned that criticism. 

There is no mistake in questioning everything from 2000 - 2017 with the Bills. 

It was a Good ole' Boys Club of Ralph hanger on-ers, and that's not unfair. Overdorf, Modrak, Nix, John Guy, Brandon, Scott Berchtold, Littman (thank you RichRiderBills), Doug Whaley.

None of those guys contributed to anything remotely successful for for 17 years. 

LOL. Wow, seem to have a lot of anger regarding this.

So yeah, go ahead and criticize EVERYONE in the organization, right down to the receptionist, NO ONE contributed anything remotely successful for 17 years!!!

Unless you worked at OBD or sat down with him over a contract you have ZERO knowledge of how Overdorf did his job but he is a convenient whipping boy.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:59 AM, dbfla10 said:

Not sure I get the cap love? We have a low cost QB and no huge contracts on the books. Yet we are approaching free agency like our hands are tied. And I dont want to hear but we signed Milano, Feliciano and Williams. We also cut Jefferson, Brown and didnt resign Kroft, Murphy and some others. Not rocket science. I actually think are roster is flawed in that we have a ton off average players at overpriced contracts - Star, Addison, Butler, Klein, Matakevich. I am not saying we should be up in arms, they are doing an ok job. Just not saying they are genius. 

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So yeah, go ahead and criticize EVERYONE in the organization, right down to the receptionist, NO ONE contributed anything remotely successful for 17 years!!!

Unless you worked at OBD or sat down with him over a contract you have ZERO knowledge of how Overdorf did his job but he is a convenient whipping boy.

Jim?! or Doug?!

On 3/15/2021 at 8:08 AM, T master said:

I don't think he was ever the 'decision maker' that people believed him to be. I think he more negotiates the specifics and dirty details where as things like years/cap/dead money/etc are more GM decisions. I think the drought brought on the temper tantrums lashing out anyone and everyone in the organization especially when their role isn't clearly defined to the public. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Why are we defending the Bills from that timeframe?

I get now they are everyone’s favorite and can do no wrong, but the Bills FO was among the worst in the league for over a decade.  

On 3/15/2021 at 7:23 AM, Don Otreply said:

But I think it has pretty much always been that way. Overdorf just does what he is told.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

But I think it has pretty much always been that way. Overdorf just does what he is told.

Ah yes, but it was those instructions that he was given back in the dark times, I am certain that Overdorf has the appropriate skill set to do what he is told to do, and does it well, otherwise he would have been waived... 😁

On 3/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, T master said:

For years everyone blamed Overdolf, likely he was just following RW orders.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Why are we defending the Bills from that timeframe?

I get now they are everyone’s favorite and can do no wrong, but the Bills FO was among the worst in the league for over a decade.  

Defending?   I defended no one but i think it is naive and shallow to blame everyone for the Bills demise, esp Overdorf that is essentially a glorified  accountant.   So why are you ATTACKING everyone in the organization even with people that were not the primary decision makers.. So you are upset and angry they had a losing stretch, get over it already. 

Did i defend the primary decision makers, not at all.