The packers really blew it selecting Love

NewEra

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The argument that Aaron Rodgers played better than anyone yesterday AND he suffered greatly by not drafting someone other than Love in the 1st can't make sense.

Absolutely it doesn’t make sense but that was the narrative. Personally i’m not dumb enough to ever vote against aaron rodgers.

could they have helped him more? Sure. Does it matter that they didn’t? Not so much. Davante Adams is an underrated monster.

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one has a crystal ball, yet you are certain picking Love is the one move that will prevent the Packers from winning the SB. Weird--especially as you say how amazing he was yesterday without some rookie WR or Queen.

This is my opinion.  I’m not certain.  I’m certain that drafting Love showed that their priority isn’t winning another SB with AR.  

8 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Absolutely it doesn’t make sense but that was the narrative. Personally i’m not dumb enough to ever vote against aaron rodgers.

could they have helped him more? Sure. Does it matter that they didn’t? Not so much. Davante Adams is an underrated monster.

The irony is that if this was ANY OTHER TEAM with an established, SB winning MVP type franchise QB than GB, who did this exact when they spent a  (late) 1st on Rodgers, this beef MAY have had some legs....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Packers really blew it selecting Aaron Rodgers. I just watched Favre still sling it....

This is what the Packers do. They have 4 HoF QBs (soon to be 5), and 3 QBs (Starr, Favre, Rodgers) make up 45 of 100 years of their existence.

I went to the game up there a couple years ago with my sister who lives not far away in Appleton. I had not been to a game with her since we were kids and it was great!

The funny thing is, that little area around the stadium must feel much like it did when Bart Starr was The Man. Maybe a slightly better neighborhood than the Old Rockpile with a bunch of ordinary residential houses.......with a stadium sticking up in the middle of it. Obviously better stadium, but something that went back in time. The Mayberry, RFD of the NFL.  Maybe there’s another like it, but I can’t think of one. 

My goal is one home game and one road game every year. (Out the window this year, of course.) The rest will be seen from my comfortable perch in my family room. I LOVE getting back to WNY, and I LOVE seeing what other teams and towns have to offer. “Welcome to Wisconsin” was heard often wearing my Bills gear around town! I doubt you get that as much in Philly! 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This is my opinion.  I’m not certain.  I’m certain that drafting Love showed that their priority isn’t winning another SB with AR.  

I get that feeling too and i think it’s ridiculously stupid if that’s really their idea

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Maybe they thought Love was too good of a talent to pass on.  

Yes it they traded up to get him and it cost them a 4th.  If Love becomes the starter down the road it will be well worth it.  

certainly would be. 

but even confident there a qb in the back half of the round is less than 50-50. 

if I were Green Bay I would’ve doubled down on win now... but if love is the guy for 15 years, they will get plenty of shots to win out of it. 

Aaron Rodgers has one super bowl because that's the going rate for a decade of great QB at unless your name is Brady. Green Bay vastly improved their coaching, defense and running game for the end of Rodgers career and for the transition to Love that will happen sooner rather than later.

Green Bay isn't a rookie or one player away from winning a Super Bowl, especially at their draft position and in the COVID offseason, so I can see the value proposition of Love there if they see him as the next guy to start for them and don't want to trade out for an impact player.

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

certainly would be. 

but even confident there a qb in the back half of the round is less than 50-50. 

if I were Green Bay I would’ve doubled down on win now... but if love is the guy for 15 years, they will get plenty of shots to win out of it. 

Or he could be Phillip Rivers or Andy Dalton.  

Aaron Rodgers is on another level.  Not trying to win now is just ridiculous imo.  Especially a year after signing him to a huge extension 

People seem to forget the Packers already have a top 10 or at worst top 15 WR in Adams.  They added numerous other players to their offense  in the draft just not at WR.  No issue with them taking Love.  If they want to keep Rodgers and Love has a strong pre-season next year then maybe he has some more trade value.  Maybe he is insurance for Rodgers who has gotten injured multiple times over the last few years.  

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

People seem to forget the Packers already have a top 10 or at worst top 15 WR in Adams.  They added numerous other players to their offense  in the draft just not at WR.  No issue with them taking Love.  If they want to keep Rodgers and Love has a strong pre-season next year then maybe he has some more trade value.  Maybe he is insurance for Rodgers who has gotten injured multiple times over the last few years.  

Who forgets about Davante adams?  Certainly not me.  You must have forgotten how bad their other WRs were last year.  God awful.  Looks like reading about how terrible they were for a year got them motivated.  MVS and Lazard looked better yesterday as they caught AR’s perfect passes.  

you must’ve forgotten how bad they got destroyed by the Niners run game last year.  Embarrassing.  Don’t fix it and try and win a super bowl the legendary aaron Rodgers.  Draft a Utah st QB to be his heir apparent.  

As of now, Wil Broyles is the insurance as Davis Love the 3rd, is 3rd.  

I get that teams want line up their QB of the future.  I just think that AR isn’t just a really good, future HoF QB. I think he’s better than that, a truly special talent.  If he only wins one SB for the packers, it’s a shame.  They failed the city and AR. He’s better than one SB. They didn’t surround him with jack for the last several years imo.    

51 minutes ago, MJS said:

They'll look like geniuses if he comes in after Rodgers leaves and becomes a really good QB.

What are your thoughts on Love?  Is he going to be a really good QB?  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Who forgets about Davante adams?  Certainly not me.  You must have forgotten how bad their other WRs were last year.  God awful.  Looks like reading about how terrible they were for a year got them motivated.  MVS and Lazard looked better yesterday as they caught AR’s perfect passes.  

you must’ve forgotten how bad they got destroyed by the Niners run game last year.  Embarrassing.  Don’t fix it and try and win a super bowl the legendary aaron Rodgers.  Draft a Utah st QB to be his heir apparent.  

As of now, Wil Broyles is the insurance as Davis Love the 3rd, is 3rd.  

I get that teams want line up their QB of the future.  I just think that AR isn’t just a really good, future HoF QB. I think he’s better than that, a truly special talent.  If he only wins one SB for the packers, it’s a shame.  They failed the city and AR. He’s better than one SB. They didn’t surround him with jack for the last several years imo.    

What are your thoughts on Love?  Is he going to be a really good QB?  

Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers failed Rodgers. That team has had bad luck with injuries to key guys including Rodgers. Never been able to keep everyone healthy. They had enough talent on both sides of the ball but coaches failed them along with injuries

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers failed Rodgers. That team has had bad luck with injuries to key guys including Rodgers. Never been able to keep everyone healthy. They had enough talent on both sides of the ball but coaches failed them along with injuries

Negative 

6 hours ago, MJS said:

That's to be determined. I'm not sure how anyone could even have an opinion on him yet.

The packers sure did

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be amazed by 2 Super Bowl wins for my favorite team.....

the 2 packer fans I know well are frustrated that they haven’t won another with Rodgers.  Both are extremely pissed that they drafted Love. 

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Packers need a quality defense which they sure didnt disaply on Sunday.

And if they drafted a stud MLB, like Patrick Queen they would have a better defense.  It’s only one game be the Vikings, but Rodgers was ripping the ball all day.  The chiefs didn’t have a good defense last year week 1.  They won the SB.

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Packers really blew it selecting Aaron Rodgers. I just watched Favre still sling it....

This is what the Packers do. They have 4 HoF QBs (soon to be 5), and 3 QBs (Starr, Favre, Rodgers) make up 45 of 100 years of their existence.

18 hours ago, Nanker said:

What a poorly run organization. Once again we see the idiocy of meddling billionaire owners.

Oh, wait...

Go team president Mark Murphy, Super Bowl Champ with the Redskins, Super Bowl Champ in the front office with the Packers, and former Clarence Red Devil!

Oh, who am I kidding, you're ALWAYS a Clarence Red Devil!   :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

As the packers are 3-0 with one of the worst LB units in the league.  

get ready to watch Patrick Queen around like a madman tonight.  Packers coulda, shoulda, woulda taken him

still can’t get over backhanding Rodgers with the Jordan Love selection.

rodgers making bums look like pro bowlers.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

get ready to watch Patrick Queen around like a madman tonight.  Packers coulda, shoulda, woulda taken him

Bills won yesterday... 3-0 now also.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:37 PM, NewEra said:

They used their #1 offseason resource to select Aaron Rodgers replacement.  

Zero chance the packers can duplicate last year and has no chance to make the NFCCG.  Last year was a fluke.  I learned that here in April. 

I just watched the game and wow, am I impressed with the throws and decisions he made yesterday.  Albeit against a pair of rookie corners and w/o Danielle Hunter, but he was threading the needle like nobody’s business.  Surely looked like he could compete with Josh and Pat for leagues strongest arm.  Meanwhile, Davis Love the 3rd is the 3rd string qb behind Tim Boyle.  The same Tim Boyle that most of us have never heard of.

If Aaron Rodgers can play like that passing to grocery-baggers and personal fitness trainers, what could he do if they gave him a couple of elite WR?

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Aaron Rodgers can play like that passing to grocery-baggers and personal fitness trainers, what could he do if they gave him a couple of elite WR?

Or had a competent roster on the defensive side of the ball.  

Just can’t get over not going all in on 2020 after the team made the nfccg....when you have aaron Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.  4 years of Love on the bench one year as starter, then pay him 40 mill.  It’s a waste in this day and age. It’s not 2005.  You don’t sit your rookie QB for 80% of his Rookie contract.  You win Super Bowls during their rookie contracts.  

P.s.  ignore me, This is just one of those things that I can’t get over and probably won’t 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

I admittedly like Love a lot as a prospect so I still think it was a fine move for them. The part that really killed them is that they essentially wasted every other pick in the draft so far. Took a legitimately bad RB prospect in the 2nd round when they already had good RBs in place, reached on a raw TE prospect, and didn't take anyone else of consequence.

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Or had a competent roster on the defensive side of the ball.  

Just can’t get over not going all in on 2020 after the team made the nfccg....when you have aaron Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.  4 years of Love on the bench one year as starter, then pay him 40 mill.  It’s a waste in this day and age. It’s not 2005.  You don’t sit your rookie QB for 80% of his Rookie contract.  You win Super Bowls during their rookie contracts.  

P.s.  ignore me, This is just one of those things that I can’t get over and probably won’t 

I agree totally. They could have had any number of WR's, a TE like Kmet, any number of defensive players, any number of OL'man, and they took a project QB. It was stupid by the organization and it was a kick in the gonads of Rodgers. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That Kamara TD cost me a fantasy week.  They just like... cannot tackle at all.  

31 minutes ago, H2o said:

I agree totally. They could have had any number of WR's, a TE like Kmet, any number of defensive players, any number of OL'man, and they took a project QB. It was stupid by the organization and it was a kick in the gonads of Rodgers. 

They already have a top 10 WR and they added like 6 other offensive players in the draft just not at WR. I would not have taken Love but it's erroneous to say they did nothing to help Rodgers this year. 

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

That Kamara TD cost me a fantasy week.  They just like... cannot tackle at all.  

At all.  Patrick Queen probably wouldn’t even start for them.  Their leading LB tackler was Krys Barnes.  Yeah, THAT Krys Barnes we know so well

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

They already have a top 10 WR and they added like 6 other offensive players in the draft just not at WR. I would not have taken Love but it's erroneous to say they did nothing to help Rodgers this year. 

They have no defense Ethan!!  They don’t have one decent LB Ethan.  

As the packers continue to dominate, Patrick Queen is making flying forearm shiver tackles at the goal line and Justin Jefferson is proving to be much better than guys named Shepard and Valdez-scantling. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

As the packers continue to dominate, Patrick Queen is making flying forearm shiver tackles at the goal line and Justin Jefferson is proving to be much better than guys named Shepard and Valdez-scantling. 

I, for one, will be glad the Pack have neither of those players when we meet them in the Super Bowl.

• Awesome! (+1) 1