Adam Gase on playing the Bills defense: “It’s chaotic”

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

It's funny how McD is the savior these days, and Rex was a joke show.

Rex was 1 game under .500 for his Bills career; McD is 2 games above.

Both live/lived right in the middle of the league where almost all teams reside.

But 1 is horrible and 1 is great.

One’s been to the playoffs twice in 24 months. The other guy not since ‘02

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Both live/lived right in the middle of the league where almost all teams reside.

Question:  You are the GM and you are filling a HC vacancy.  Rex and Sean are the two finalists - who do you hire?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

One built a great defense and got the team to the playoffs, and the other destroyed a great defense and continued to miss the playoffs.

Still confused?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Can you genuinely not tell the difference? Really? 

Yeesh.

This is absolutely the worst matchup for the Jets week one.

They have a new line, and some new weapons, with limited time to gel

We have a fast defense, going into year four of McDermott and Frazier. The continuity, the way they disguise pre-play, and the way all 11 hats fly to the ball, in my opinion will be overwhelming to the Jets on Sunday

Gase is probably not sleeping well this week

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

Question:  You are the GM and you are filling a HC vacancy.  Rex and Sean are the two finalists - who do you hire?

Sean.  I think he's the better HC.

My point is that they are both more less comparable, middle of the pack HCs.

Whereas, for the most part, this fanbase treats them as black and white horrible and amazing.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well stated. McD is no better and may be a bit worse than Rex with regard to time management, game decisions, and challenges. But Rex destroyed a great defense even while building a top 10 scoring offense. 

I’m going to state an unpopular opinion. I realize that Rex isn’t a good NFL coach, and McD is vastly superior. However, this franchise had more problems than just Rex at the time. The front office and coaching staff were disjointed. Whaley had no vision that considered coaching style when building a team. Ryan’s defense was absolutely pathetic for a guy considered a defensive genius. We all saw what McD did with limited talent on D his first season, that’s a real defensive coach. However, I think our defensive talent heading into 2015 is overrated.

Dareus was a beast when that defense was good, but this was before he decided to check out. Mario Williams was dominant for a while too, but his career was slowing down by 2015. We had talent, but many of our important defensive contributors from the Marrone years were fading away for various reasons. Rex still isn’t a good coach, and there’s no way the defense should have been that bad. I’m just not convinced we’d have this elite defense back in 2015 if we didn’t hire Rex. There were many factors in play. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Whereas, for the most part, this fanbase treats them as black and white horrible and amazing.

You're in the minority, league wide, with that take.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sean gets respect all over the league AND the media. It isn't just Bills fans that talk him up.

The majority of humans don't agree with your silly argument.

5 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Bingo. It is a league wide thing. The grumps around here are ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Difference is one took a horrible team made them good and build uponed it. And on other hand the other had a very talented team but never reached full potential and under achieved.

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

No kidding!  There is a reason one guy just got an extension, while the other guy is just a loud mouth on TV. The NFL recognizes the difference. If they were about the same, they would both be coaches. 

I am NOT, however, declaring a blow...... out or even a victory. Play the games, one at a time. 

Edited by Augie

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's funny how people who use stats to prove their point have zero interest in those same statistics being apples to apples comparisons.

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

2 playoff seasons and one where they offloaded a bunch of overpaid, underperforming players and took on all the dead cap to reset the organization from the mess the previous idiot left.

Hot take there.

9 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Difference is one took a horrible team made them good and build uponed it. And on other hand the other had a very talented team but never reached full potential and under achieved.

True, but the boys did have a foosball table.  And coach played dressup with the Clemson helmet!  That should count for something!  🙄

13 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m going to state an unpopular opinion. I realize that Rex isn’t a good NFL coach, and McD is vastly superior. However, this franchise had more problems than just Rex at the time. The front office and coaching staff were disjointed. Whaley had no vision that considered coaching style when building a team. Ryan’s defense was absolutely pathetic for a guy considered a defensive genius. We all saw what McD did with limited talent on D his first season, that’s a real defensive coach. However, I think our defensive talent heading into 2015 is overrated.

Dareus was a beast when that defense was good, but this was before he decided to check out. Mario Williams was dominant for a while too, but his career was slowing down by 2015. We had talent, but many of our important defensive contributors from the Marrone years were fading away for various reasons. Rex still isn’t a good coach, and there’s no way the defense should have been that bad. I’m just not convinced we’d have this elite defense back in 2015 if we didn’t hire Rex. There were many factors in play. 

Mostly agree with what you say here but I think Whaley did try to draft and get players to fit Rex's style.  The stories at the time indicated Rex had a lot of say in the drafts. That was one of Whaley's issues.  

20 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

i blame ownership for putting a marketing guy (russ brandon) in charge of football operations (they should have brought polian back) . marketing guys priorities were selling tickets, suites and sponsorships....enter a carnival barking blowhard named rex who should have never been hired for this job to take over a top 5 defense based on 4-3 personnnel when all he knew was 3-4. it takes several  years to switch over. they did it poorly. all that led to another regime change and they punted on mahomes.....what a disaster.

fast forward to today.....STABILITY in coaching has finally arrived. the future  bodes well for bills fans

• Like (+1) 1