Question: Is Moss pushing Devin to start?

Alphadawg7

56 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Just a thought: maybe we should read the OP and realize it wasn't crowning Moss at all.

(No offense.)

I wasn't responding to the OP, really. @Alphadawg7 is one of my favorite posters, in fact. I was more responding to the odd conviction of many posters on this site that Moss has somehow already established himself as an NFL running back, without having played a single snap. IIRC, Singletary started week one, last season (?) as did Ford, and Oliver, so it's not like McD isn't willing to start a rookie. But, Singletary started after having numerous preseason game snaps. In one of those games, Motor was handed the ball something like 15 offensive snaps in a row. Moss has absolutely nothing like that to compare. 

As for the Barry Sanders reference, again not calling out Alpha, at all. That literal comparison has been made in at least three other threads since the draft that I can recall. It's that overly-optimistic conviction that allows some to think that Moss, an untested rookie with zero NFL snaps, might start over Motor, based on rumors from the most secretive TC we've ever had.

Edited by Rocky Landing

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve seen some rumblings on Twitter and some mentions about that on TSW over the weekend that basically suggested Moss has blown everyone away and Devin was having some fumbling issues in camp.  They also alluded that because of that, Moss was making a push to over take Devin on the depth chart.  

Anyone have any first hand insight on this?  I can’t find anything concrete or official really, and seems like this talk originated from a reporter that was at practices and other people just repeating it.  

But I haven’t heard anything or even really been able to find anything that suggested anything negative about Devin in camp.  Although, there are several reports saying Bills are going to split carries between the two and could rotate who starts or sees more carries based on the different strengths/weaknesses of the defense they are facing each week.  But that could just be because Moss has shined, doesn’t mean anything about Devin per se.

Again, to be clear, I am NOT suggesting any of this and I do really like both Devin and Moss.  I am just asking if anyone had any better info on this or heard anything similar or anything that refutes this.  

End of the day, I think we all have been pretty clear about the fact Moss was going to be involved every week.  No surprise there, now it’s just a question to how much as the season goes on each week.

Never has NFL reporting been more of an echo chamber!

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

If Singletary is Clearly better why would anyone be worried if he starts, plays more or whatever... 😁

The reality is that at the start of the season, Singletary will be the presumptive starter/ veteran RB, Moss will be the rookie that they work into the offense. As the season progresses reps will be shared more depending on down, distance, opponent and individual performance, That’s how it actually works, especially with the conservative coaching staff that the Bills have.  Variations on this general theme certainly are likely. If Singletary continues to perform as expected, and Moss develops as hoped, we will have a very good backfield.. 

Go Bills!!!

Go Bills indeed!!!!

I think Singletary starts and I would put money on that. But as the season goes on if Moss shows more I'm sure they will start sharing the load more. I don't see a scenario where Moss outright takes the starting job from Singletary this year, but maybe in future seasons.

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

McD is not going to start a rookie RB opening day.Too many variables. Devin gets the start for sure

Please don’t confuse Sean McDermott with Marv

2 hours ago, 716er said:

Again, McD did last year.

Exactly. Tremaine was thrown into the fire as a rookie to run the entire defense on day 1.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

They’re both going to play. A lot.

I’m sure one guy will probably take a back seat if there are ball security issues, but other than that I think you’ll see them used in different situations.

yup. I think we are talking 60-40 splits any given week so the term “starter” may be overrated.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve seen some rumblings on Twitter and some mentions about that on TSW over the weekend that basically suggested Moss has blown everyone away and Devin was having some fumbling issues in camp.  They also alluded that because of that, Moss was making a push to over take Devin on the depth chart.  

Anyone have any first hand insight on this?  I can’t find anything concrete or official really, and seems like this talk originated from a reporter that was at practices and other people just repeating it.  

But I haven’t heard anything or even really been able to find anything that suggested anything negative about Devin in camp.  Although, there are several reports saying Bills are going to split carries between the two and could rotate who starts or sees more carries based on the different strengths/weaknesses of the defense they are facing each week.  But that could just be because Moss has shined, doesn’t mean anything about Devin per se.

Again, to be clear, I am NOT suggesting any of this and I do really like both Devin and Moss.  I am just asking if anyone had any better info on this or heard anything similar or anything that refutes this.  

End of the day, I think we all have been pretty clear about the fact Moss was going to be involved every week.  No surprise there, now it’s just a question to how much as the season goes on each week.

Maybe not yet, but could see it happen by late in the season, particularly if fumbling does does become/continue to be an issue.  Or if Moss is just much better as a blocker

Once Sunday comes and Singletary starts turning should-have-been-a-tackle-for-loss into 7 Yard runs, and breaking 20, 30 yard runs off tackle folks will remember how they saw this before and be back to saying he will be a breakout star this season.

And once Moss gets his chances folks Who didn’t watch Utah will see he is more than a banger, although he does that too.  They will notice he makes defenders miss too (not as smoothly at Singletary)  and breaks his own 20-30 yard runs.  He’s like a Mark Ingram type to me which is pretty damn good.

Bills are in good shape at the RB position health permitting.  But Singletary will be in there first if I had to bet money.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Singletary starts and I would put money on that. But as the season goes on if Moss shows more I'm sure they will start sharing the load more. I don't see a scenario where Moss outright takes the starting job from Singletary this year, but maybe in future seasons.

Singletary probably starts early because he’s played real games with live bullets. They want to know they can both keep Josh alive when the crazy blitz packages are presented. Ultimately, Moss seems to be the more physical option in blitz protection, but he needs to prove he’s got the mental part covered. All in good time....

I loved watching Singletary last year, and I’m thrilled this is even a question! 

22 minutes ago, spartacus said:

for fantasy, moss may be better due to likelihood of short yardage TDs

on the other hand, Singletary may not get dragged down on the two so many times

So many times?  He had 3 carries all year inside the opponent's 10.

He is definitely not the guy Daboll/McD feel comfortable with in the red zone.  That's why they drafted Moss.

43 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The only people that I've heard suggesting that Moss will start are posting it on this forum, but I don't read national sports writers much.

yahoo’s fantasy football seems to think Moss is the guy and Singletary’s a fumbler who can’t pass block. 

8 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Singletary had 4 fumbles last year, and only lost 1. Comparison, that is the same number as Alvin Kamara. I dont know about fumbles per touch, I am not savy enough to find that info.

Doesnt seem like a problem, but I too have seen a lot of twitter talk about him dropping the ball this year. One clip even showed McDermott run up to him after a play and try and strip the ball from him. 

I get it. BUT....Camp is where you fix that. Not worried. I know Coach will play the best player. Trusting the process.

8 hours ago, 947 said:

The fantasy football people out there are all expecting for Moss to eventually be the primary back, Moss is even going before Singletary in a lot of drafts. I suspect this is mostly groupthink speculation. I keep reading (on fantasy sites) that Moss has looked better in camp & Singletary has fumbled too much, but I've heard next to nothing positive or negative about Moss all camp & nothing of Devin fumbling.

If there was any truth to this, at least for week 1, I assume all of TBDers would know about it.

Yeah someone in my league drafted Singletary in the 5th rd. I grabbed Moss in the 9th. Regardless i think Devin will be the main guy between the 20's & Moss factoring inside the red zone. But just like with a lot of position groups, i expect we'll see a lot of rotation. And both will have good seasons

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Just a thought: Maybe we should wait for Moss to play a game before crowning him the next coming of Barry Sanders?

Just so true!  With no pre-season games he's already over-rated just as much of the Bills team!!

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So many times?  He had 3 carries all year inside the opponent's 10.

He is definitely not the guy Daboll/McD feel comfortable with in the red zone.  That's why they drafted Moss.

the plays that started outside the red zone