Training Camp 8/23 - Allen, 5 others miss practice due to False positive Covid tests

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly forgot Tyler Kroft existed until this very moment....

Marlowe seems to be having a good camp definitely had a good day. Watching that clip that was definitely Kroft which from the article on NYup he also had a good breakup against Brown as well as an INT.

Gabe Davis is also having a great camp according to that article as he had his first drop today which just sounds crazy.

Edited by Warcodered

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Marlowe seems to be having a good camp definitely had a good day. Watching that clip that was definitely Kroft which from the article on NYup he also had a good breakup against Brown as well as an INT.

Gabe Davis is also having a great camp according to that article as he had his first drop today which just sounds crazy.

Cut him. ?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

It’s hard to say exactly.... I will say this, the media was scared the protests would create a spike and positives would go up, large crowds, many with no masks(I mean that’s what’s causes it, large gatherings)... 3-4 weeks later, huge spike and they say it’s not due to protests? What changed? 

Also where I’m from, Panama City Beach FL, every other car is from out of state.... restaurants packed, beaches packed, streets packed... that’s been a problem as well...

Why are all the protesters in Panama City Beach?  Obviously opening up state to business has nothing to do with spikes, right and these had to be protesters.

Protesters and rioters (although rioters wore masks to try to help hide IDs.  Note: US Law Enforcement there is software in China, Wuhan specifically where disease came from, to see faces under masks.  Get it and start arresting.) were certainly factors especially the protesters against masks but there are other factors like governors overriding local ordinances requiring masks.

3 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I still fall in the group of, just wear your mask, avoid large groups and wash your hands and work spaces.... but I just think the fear of 175k is not what people make it out to be. Because our country has a lot of sick, unhealthy, obese people above the age of 40, some that don’t even know it....

Just like there are some with CTE and don't even know it.

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

So we’re seeing a lab under scrutiny for returning a huge chunk of false-positives because the Multibillion dollar industry was (presumably) able to re-test or relay on additional information to say “wait, we really don’t think these guys are positive”

Makes you wonder how many false positives are happening in the world at large that aren’t being caught. 

Two things that also make me wonder....

1) where there are false positives in testing, they are also false negatives

2) assuming test results will be pulled the day before a game, how long before the Patriots have a  “Test Gate” where a rival suddenly has a bunch of false positive showing up when it benefits the Pats... ( this is only half sarcasm) 

33 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Two things that also make me wonder....

1) where there are false positives in testing, they are also false negatives

2) assuming test results will be pulled the day before a game, how long before the Patriots have a  “Test Gate” where a rival suddenly has a bunch of false positive showing up when it benefits the Pats... ( this is only half sarcasm) 

Not necessarily.

For one, they usually error on the side of caution. False positives are because: as even on the CDC website antibodies or virus DNA from common cold can trigger a positive test due to the Common Cold being "a coronavirus," COVID-19 is a combination of coronavirus, sars and I think something else which is what makes it different. However you typically dont randomly get "yes you have traces of something you've never had" just because - unless its literally the lab mixing up a bunch of samples which would still keep the same number of positives vs negative tests... just to the wrong people.

Also if you are testing against a control group, if they get mixed with eachother even slightly.... you arent going to get one suddenly detecting no virus. They would both now be detected as having the virus. If that makes sense

12 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

BioReference Labs.  I used to be a Regional Sales Manager at a Biotech company so we had high level meetings trying to partner with them on some of our specialty lab tests.  Do you know they are the largest provider for prisons in the US.  Offenders are required to take certain tests like TB as a rule.   Before the thought police get upset, I am in no way insinuating NFL players are offenders.  Just a point of comparison what BioReference Does for a business.  They are a monster just after Quest and Labcorp.  They are not a bad group of guys and one of their main hubs is in New Jersey.

Hopefully they get it worked out.

Was Dunkirk Don at these high level meetings?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Duke is infuriating to me because people point to circus catches in practice and say "look! look what he can do! we have to keep him cause he can do this!" to which rational observers respond "well, that's nice, but he doesn't do much else well..." and the answer is always that his circus catches are all that he needs to do because he does it so dang well... But then you mention the playoff game and how he didn't do it then, and there's 80 excuses. 

He catches the Playoff TD, we win the game.

“ Big time players make Big-time plays“ he didn’t and I fell out of love with him then. 
   I think he’s a legit NFL receiver but not on this team as Beane has done a stellar job of creating competition almost everywhere.

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I am so glad they are letting Sal decide their strategy on roster.

What they aren't?  Do they not know what they are doing?  Other teams have signed media people people in front office postions and are the Bills behind in the times?

Sal's audience is not the team. Hopefully you had a couple more and called it a night.

13 hours ago, whatdrought said:

So we’re seeing a lab under scrutiny for returning a huge chunk of false-positives because the Multibillion dollar industry was (presumably) able to re-test or relay on additional information to say “wait, we really don’t think these guys are positive”

Makes you wonder how many false positives are happening in the world at large that aren’t being caught. 

TONS. False positive tests and deaths attributed to COVID that have nothing to do with COVID. It’s been going on for months and has absolutely fed into the hysteria that should not exist. 

9 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

So glad to hear Josh (and hopefully the rest of the boys) were false positives.  Really hope this all gets sorted and can be avoided for ANY team per the protocols in place (i.e. could end up canceling an entire weekend of regular season if it happens in-season).  Guess it's better it's happening now rather than in a month or so.

It’ll happen in a month or so also. Guaranteed. 

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it is going to be very hard to cut any of these WR's we drafted......both Davis AND Hodgins sound like they are doing well.

That would be awesome:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

Hodgins

Roberts

I can get behind that. Move on from scrubs like McKenzie, Foster, and Duke Williams. And give those rookies some specific packages to work on to get on the field for a few plays a game.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Duke is infuriating to me because people point to circus catches in practice and say "look! look what he can do! we have to keep him cause he can do this!" to which rational observers respond "well, that's nice, but he doesn't do much else well..." and the answer is always that his circus catches are all that he needs to do because he does it so dang well... But then you mention the playoff game and how he didn't do it then, and there's 80 excuses. 

Not to mention he doesn't get separation, so he HAS to make those circus catches just to be able to catch a ball. He is slow.

I do like his physicality, I just think the other receivers offer more. Versatility is key, and he doesn't have that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Not to mention he doesn't get separation, so he HAS to make those circus catches just to be able to catch a ball. He is slow.

I do like his physicality, I just think the other receivers offer more. Versatility is key, and he doesn't have that.

Duke is a good PS candidate, and maybe even trade bate if someone (like the Jets) has some needs in that area.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

That would be awesome:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

Hodgins

Roberts

I can get behind that. Move on from scrubs like McKenzie, Foster, and Duke Williams. And give those rookies some specific packages to work on to get on the field for a few plays a game.

Exactly my thought MJS.  Davis and Hodgins were drafted as our future at the position.  Take you’re pick on PS for McKenzie and/or Williams.  I seriously doubt either have any trade value even with a crappy team like the Jets.  Keeping them on the PS makes sense as we have 16 slots, and we’ll need players from each position group most importantly the Lines.  They are in the closest contact to each other, so not only do O Lineman have a tendency to get hurt, they are also at the highest risk for positive tests.

The numbers weren’t quite as bad in Buffalo but were high enough to take the Bills off their course for the day. For many, the morning started with a mass message from the team telling them everything on the schedule was being pushed back an hour, which bought time for those who tested positive (there were between 15 and 20 organization-wide, fewer than a handful of whom were players) tested again on-site.

They all took both a point-of-care test (which is the rapid test), and a PCR test. All tested as negative on the rapid test. The catch: Per the NFL’s protocol, a negative on the PCR test, which wouldn’t come back until after the workday was complete, was required for those 15-20 team employees to return to the facility. So those 15-20 would have to stay home.

Ultimately, that meant when the Bills decided to open back up for business—after considering cutting back to a walkthrough or going all virtual for the day—those 15-20 people weren’t there.

And what makes this really interesting is that one of those on the list was QB Josh Allen.

You read that right: If Sunday’s events took place exactly three weeks later, under the NFL’s current protocols, you’d be looking at Matt Barkley as the Bills’ opening day starter at quarterback. 

Allen took a COVID-19 test on Saturday morning in Orchard Park and the test came back positive before his alarm went off Sunday morning. From there, the NFL mandated that he take a point-of-care test and a PCR test (which, again, can take up to 24 hours to come back) right away. But passing the rapid test isn’t enough to confirm a false positive, per the protocols. The PCR test needs to come back negative, too.

Had the Bills played a game Sunday, there’s no way it would’ve come back in time for Allen to suit up.

And that’s actually one good thing that came out of Sunday. Ten teams went through a scare (which eventually turned into a mere annoyance) and they all got a realistic fire drill, based on a pretty plausible scenario. Another plus would be that the league got to see what the fallout would be in a situation like this—which, I’d bet, will get Park Ave. to adjust its rules.

What if this happens in three weeks?

The truth is, there’s no single answer right now. It’s possible the rapid tests become more reliable. They’re a few percentage points shy of the PCR tests (which are over 99% accurate) in that department, and if they catch up, the solves the issue of lag time that kept those 77 people away from the workplace on Sunday. 

Absent that, the NFL and union have discussed Friday testing ahead of Saturday’s travel day, which would give players a chance to retest and get cleared for Sunday (the obvious problem there, of course, is the possibility the a player contracts the virus on Friday night or Saturday). There’s also the question of whether, on a Sunday morning, the NFL could have the labs on call to re-run potential false-positive samples—which, of course, would hinge on the lab turning them around fast enough to get a guy on the field for kickoff.

All of this is on the table as the NFL and NFLPA leave the conversation on how to deal with COVID-19 open—and plan to leave it open all year. Things will change. New advances should help along the way. New challenges are coming too.

And it’s all a reminder that this is going to be a really different year.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MJS said:

That would be awesome:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

Hodgins

Roberts

I agree with you mostly, and am on board with your list--but I admit I will always have a soft spot for Foster--I was definitely expecting more out of him during last year's campaign as a followup to plays like this:

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I agree with you mostly, and am on board with your list--but I admit I will always have a soft spot for Foster--I was definitely expecting more out of him during last year's campaign as a followup to plays like this:

Injuries really derailed his offseason and camp last year. Just think how far we've come at the WR position. Prior to last years free agency we were hyping up Robert Foster as a possible #1 and now we have Diggs, Brown, and Beasley.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I have nothing against him. I also thought he would be more of a contributor after his first year. But he certainly isn't producing now and doesn't seem to be positioning himself in camp like the two rookies are. Maybe he can be a practice squad guy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

This is potentially one of the most important pickups this year.
    If we field a top 1-5 D, which I expect we will, having a kid who can come in and manage a few games is huge. I have little faith in Barkley.

Myself personally, Barkley is just as capable of winning football games as the bearded one (Fitzy) IMO,

Other then that I agree with the first part.

Its very possible Fromm will get a chance to showcase his talent this season IMO.   

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What gives you the idea Barkley is just as capable as Fitz?

My eyes a good running game and McD's D

Regardless of what Fitz has accomplished in the NFL and I love the guys grit and mental toughness, 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a careeer turnover machine. Something Bills HC McD would never tolerate IMO.

Edited by Figster

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If you asked 32 NFL teams if Matt Barkley was just as capable as Ryan Fitzpatrick all of them would say no. 

Fans severely underestimate how bad Matt Barkley is. 

I think fans severely underestimate how capable Fitzy is of turning the ball over. 

159 games, 161 INT's, 29 fumbles 

Fitzy won't last 3 weeks with the pin point accuracy of Tua...

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, Figster said:

My eyes a good running game and McD's D

Regardless of what Fitz has accomplished in the NFL and I love the guys grit and mental toughness, 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a careeer turnover machine. Something Bills HC McD would never tolerate IMO.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

If you asked 32 NFL teams if Matt Barkley was just as capable as Ryan Fitzpatrick all of them would say no. 

Fans severely underestimate how bad Matt Barkley is. 

Barkley isn't good, but making him out to be the worst QB in existence is extreme. (And he is nowhere near as good as Fitz any way you slice it).

He played well against the Jets a couple year ago, and basically hasn't played hardly at all since then. Fans went from being fine with Barkley as a backup last year to horrified this year, and I wonder what the change was. He played only a few downs of meaningful football. Most of his 2019 play was in the meaningless week 17 game where the Bills sat everyone who mattered.

I would have liked to see an upgrade at backup QB, but some of you are going WAY overboard.

3 hours ago, Figster said:

I think fans severely underestimate how capable Fitzy is of turning the ball over. 

159 games, 161 INT's, 29 fumbles 

Fitzy won't last 3 weeks with the pin point accuracy of Tua...

Fitzpatrick is definately a turnover machine, especially in key moments. But he is a great backup because he has the ability to come in, rally the troops, and win a game. Most backups don't have that ability. You just don't want Fitzpatrick to be your starter because eventually he WILL start turning it over in droves.

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Barkley isn't good, but making him out to be the worst QB in existence is extreme. (And he is nowhere near as good as Fitz any way you slice it).

He played well against the Jets a couple year ago, and basically hasn't played hardly at all since then. Fans went from being fine with Barkley as a backup last year to horrified this year, and I wonder what the change was. He played only a few downs of meaningful football. Most of his 2019 play was in the meaningless week 17 game where the Bills sat everyone who mattered.

I would have liked to see an upgrade at backup QB, but some of you are going WAY overboard.

Fitzpatrick is definately a turnover machine, especially in key moments. But he is a great backup because he has the ability to come in, rally the troops, and win a game. Most backups don't have that ability. You just don't want Fitzpatrick to be your starter because eventually he WILL start turning it over in droves.

Fair enough, Myself personally, I feel like Barkleys ceiling is still a bit of an unknown and I like what I see from him so far here in Buffalo.

To me Buffalo has a backup in Barkley that our GM might be able to do something with via trade when the right situation approaches them IMO.

For this to happen Fromm has to step up...

3 minutes ago, Figster said:

Fair enough, Myself personally, I feel like Barkleys ceiling is still a bit of an unknown and I like what I see from him so far here in Buffalo.

To me Buffalo has a backup in Barkley that our GM might be able to do something with via trade when the right situation approaches them IMO.

For this to happen Fromm has to step up...

He has been in the league for 7 seasons. It's hard to imagine he has unknown potential.

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Figster said:

Imagine this, 14 career starts, under multiple OC's

7 starts, 2 wins, 5 years.

And (imagine this), for the backup QB, it really doesn't matter who the OC is...because he's the backup------- and every OC never wants to see him play.

He only threw INTs, no TDs in Philly.  In Chicago, he was 3rd string.  6 games: 8 TDs and 14 ints.  Last year: 27 completions in 2 games, zero TD, 3 int rating of 51.

He straight up sucks.  That's why Fromm is there.

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

7 starts, 2 wins, 5 years.

And (imagine this), for the backup QB, it really doesn't matter who the OC is...because he's the backup------- and every OC never wants to see him play.

He only threw INTs, no TDs in Philly.  In Chicago, he was 3rd string.  6 games: 8 TDs and 14 ints.  Last year: 27 completions in 2 games, zero TD, 3 int rating of 51.

He straight up sucks.  That's why Fromm is there.

My point is Barkley doesn't even have one full season of game starts ( 16 games ) playing for multiple teams and OC's.

I don't know of many QB's who succeed without continuity or having enough previous game experience they also sucked at before they got better.

14 game starts suck and If McD and Co. didn't think Barkley could win football games he wouldn't be backing up Josh Allen IMO.

Anything Fromm does is frosting on the cake...

Edited by Figster

15 hours ago, MJS said:

That would be awesome:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis

Hodgins

Roberts

I could be mistaken - I often am - but I don't think we're going to see them move on from McKensie

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken - I often am - but I don't think we're going to see them move on from McKensie

Maybe but I think with how good a camp Davis is having he'll likely be one of the 5 active WRs on game day so they might take more of a risk on the 6th inactive spot.