2020 NFL Draft Rounds 4-7 discussion

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I really, really don’t think we needed a WR at all. There’s zero chance any WR beyond round 1 had any chance of actually playing in our offense. Any chance this guy is a ST guy? And that’s the plan?

Beasley and Brown are over 30, he'll start off ST but Davis is a solid WR, if this class wasn't loaded at WR I could have seen him go much higher, just my opinion though.

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I really, really don’t think we needed a WR at all. There’s zero chance any WR beyond round 1 had any chance of actually playing in our offense. Any chance this guy is a ST guy? And that’s the plan?

yeah i would have taken a shot at the TE from Stanford.

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Also, (I'm catching up here) Jets fans will say Morgan is only for a backup option, but that tells me Gase isn't sold on Darnold. 

Darnold is a very good QB without help. 

#13/Gabriel Davis/WR/Central Florida/6’2”, 212 Lbs

The Good

-Deep threat that creates ample separation late in routes to ultimately win
-Willing blocker with good form and strength in his punch and drive
-Thick, powerful lower half that allows him to run through arm tackles
-Flashes huge catch radius when asked to catch away from his body
-Possesses ideal body control to adjust to the football mid-route
-Varies releases off the line of scrimmage and rarely struggles with press coverage

The Bad

-Body catcher with hands that are suspect and super inconsistent; at least seven dropped touchdowns over three years of film studied
-Limited, simple route tree consisting of slants, 9’s, and stop routes
-Not a burner by any means despite filling role of deep threat
-Struggles to play through contact at catch point and will rarely win 50/50 balls
-Despite lower half strength, not a big RAC guy and won’t create with elusiveness
-Athleticism is a concern for the position

Bio

-Played and started in all 37 games during 3-year career with Central Florida
-Finished 3-year career with 152 catches, 2,447 yards and 23 touchdowns, averaging 16.1 yards per catch
-Posted line of 72 catches, 1,241 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2019
-Played on special teams during freshman year, recording 5 career tackles on kick and punt coverage
-Invited to 2020 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis

Tape Breakdown

Central Florida wide receiver Gabriel Davis is a name well known within draft circles, but there was always a mystery about his tape and how exactly he produces.

Throughout my film study of the Knights’ deep threat, I came away intrigued by his combination of size and length, but was mostly baffled by his ability to consistently win deep despite not being a burner by any stretch of the imagination.

Some receivers just have a knack of finding an extra gear late in routes, and that’s what Davis has. He’s not a 4.4 guy, and isn’t a twitched-up athlete, but he finds an extra step late in his routes – whether that’s a go route or a slant route – that allows him to win and win big.

Again, you see the lack of explosion and athleticism in his hips and he labors to stop and spin. Here though, he doesn’t flash his hands at all; he goes for the body catch and it results in an ugly drop near the first-down marker.

Final thoughts on Davis – he’s a good deep threat that separates late, and he has some impressive college numbers, but I just don’t buy right now that he’ll win consistently in the NFL with the ways in which he won in college.

He’ll need to work on hand catching in the NFL, and needs to develop an actual route tree. If he can also add some more strength to win contested balls, he could develop into a solid X receiver and play a No. 2-3 role in a good offense.

He’s a project out of the gates, but can contribute on special teams while a team tries to groom him.

Projection: Mid Day 3

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This Draft coverage is complete trash. ESPN always sucks, but they suck more than usual this year. Relegating Eisen to the charity stream is asinine, he is better than every talking head on the ESPN broadcast. ESPN should tell everyone to shut up and just let Daniel Jeremiah talk. Trey Wingo is a clown who has yet to learn the English language and keeps tripping over himself. This is unwatchable.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

cbssports.com is actually grading all the picks and their video is discussing football players.  Imagine that!

I like live better but ESPN is torturing me this year.  Miss McShay and Kiper bickering

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

The amount this thread slowed down, and when, really makes me believe half the board just gave up on the draft (understandably so) because of ESPN's country music bull####. 

Bathroom break

Just now, whatdrought said:

The amount this thread slowed down, and when, really makes me believe half the board just gave up on the draft (understandably so) because of ESPN's country music bull####. 

I muted that.  Listening to Metallica Black album

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

#13/Gabriel Davis/WR/Central Florida/6’2”, 212 Lbs

The Good

-Deep threat that creates ample separation late in routes to ultimately win
-Willing blocker with good form and strength in his punch and drive
-Thick, powerful lower half that allows him to run through arm tackles
-Flashes huge catch radius when asked to catch away from his body
-Possesses ideal body control to adjust to the football mid-route
-Varies releases off the line of scrimmage and rarely struggles with press coverage

The Bad

-Body catcher with hands that are suspect and super inconsistent; at least seven dropped touchdowns over three years of film studied
-Limited, simple route tree consisting of slants, 9’s, and stop routes
-Not a burner by any means despite filling role of deep threat
-Struggles to play through contact at catch point and will rarely win 50/50 balls
-Despite lower half strength, not a big RAC guy and won’t create with elusiveness
-Athleticism is a concern for the position

Bio

-Played and started in all 37 games during 3-year career with Central Florida
-Finished 3-year career with 152 catches, 2,447 yards and 23 touchdowns, averaging 16.1 yards per catch
-Posted line of 72 catches, 1,241 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2019
-Played on special teams during freshman year, recording 5 career tackles on kick and punt coverage
-Invited to 2020 NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis

Tape Breakdown

Central Florida wide receiver Gabriel Davis is a name well known within draft circles, but there was always a mystery about his tape and how exactly he produces.

Throughout my film study of the Knights’ deep threat, I came away intrigued by his combination of size and length, but was mostly baffled by his ability to consistently win deep despite not being a burner by any stretch of the imagination.

Some receivers just have a knack of finding an extra gear late in routes, and that’s what Davis has. He’s not a 4.4 guy, and isn’t a twitched-up athlete, but he finds an extra step late in his routes – whether that’s a go route or a slant route – that allows him to win and win big.

Again, you see the lack of explosion and athleticism in his hips and he labors to stop and spin. Here though, he doesn’t flash his hands at all; he goes for the body catch and it results in an ugly drop near the first-down marker.

Final thoughts on Davis – he’s a good deep threat that separates late, and he has some impressive college numbers, but I just don’t buy right now that he’ll win consistently in the NFL with the ways in which he won in college.

He’ll need to work on hand catching in the NFL, and needs to develop an actual route tree. If he can also add some more strength to win contested balls, he could develop into a solid X receiver and play a No. 2-3 role in a good offense.

He’s a project out of the gates, but can contribute on special teams while a team tries to groom him.

Projection: Mid Day 3

I find it funny they call him a body catcher, while others rate his hand good and highlight his ability to high point the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2

If you think it's bad now, New England has three picks in the 6th round.  Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.  They are going to bring that up every single NE pick from hear on out.  If NE grabs a QB there will probably be a 30 minute piece trying to draw comparisons to the pick and Tom Brady in Michigan.

• Sad 1

Board update time....

1. Tyler Biadasz*, C, Wisconsin - injury flag

2. Bradlee Anae, DE, Utah

3. Darryl Williams, C, Mississippi State

4. Curtis Weaver, DE, Boise State

5. Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

6. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

7. Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington

8. Bryce Huff, DE, Memphis

9. Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota

10. Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan