2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

40 time for a RB is EXTREMELY OVERRATED.

Give me the 4.6 grinder over the 4.3 home run hitter EVERY TIME.

The 4.6 guy will almost never have a negative run while the 4.3 guy will have an 80 yard TD while his next 10 carries will be for 11 yards and his team will be down 24-7 despite his long TD run.

The speed RB's have way more negative plays than the 4.6 guys and that is crippling to an offense

Remember Terrell Davis? His 40 time was 4.72. And he was the best player on the planet from 96-98.

12 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The 4.6 guy will almost never have a negative run while the 4.3 guy will have an 80 yard TD while his next 10 carries will be for 11 yards and his team will be down 24-7 despite his long TD run.

The speed RB's have way more negative plays than the 4.6 guys and that is crippling to an offense

Remember Terrell Davis? His 40 time was 4.72. And he was the best player on the planet from 96-98.

It is?

Didn't the 49ers prove that speed at RB kills?

Moster ran a 4.34

Breida ran a 4.38

Coleman ran a 4.40

And you can look at many of the other top RBs in the NFL and notice the speed trend:

McCaffrey - 4.48

Zeke - 4.47

Saquon - 4.40

Gurley (pre injury) - 4.40

Cook - 4.49

Sure, it’s not a hard and fast rule, but yes, speed absolutely matters in an era where LBs are running 4.5 flat.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It is?

Moster ran a 4.34

Breida ran a 4.38

Coleman ran a 4.40

And you can look at many of the other top RBs in the NFL and notice the speed trend:

McCaffrey - 4.48

Zeke - 4.47

Saquon - 4.40

Cook - 4.49

Sure, it’s not a hard and fast rule, but yes, speed absolutely matters in an era where LBs are running 4.5 flat.

My point is that you hardly need speed guys to have a great running game.

PSA***

Mockdraftable comparables are up for WRs

Some interesting ones...

Jerry Jeudy to Adam Thielen

Brandon Aiyuk to Nate Burleson

Justin Jefferson to DeVante Parker

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not sure I agree with that...I think that the majority of great running games in today’s league have at least one blazer.

Ooh...Devin Duvernay draws a very strong comparison to Golden Tate and semi-strong to Lee Evans.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It is?

Moster ran a 4.34

Breida ran a 4.38

Coleman ran a 4.40

McCaffrey - 4.48

Zeke - 4.47

Saquon - 4.40

Cook - 4.49

Speed can’t be taught, so it’s always at a premium. That said, elusiveness is still the number one trait sought in a RBs. Speed can certainly be a component of elusiveness, but there have been plenty of blazing fast RBs over the years who couldn’t get out of their own way. The greatest tend to have that unique combination, like OJ or Sanders. But the Thurmans or Emmit Smiths of the world can do just fine. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The guy that plays qb for your team needs guys he can get the ball to and have them go the distance. That will help him get out of the hero ball mentality in the short term. Once he matures some maybe we can go a little more hammertime, but now we need the game breakers.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

..who gets to run 40 yds unimpeded?......didn't Ross run 4.22 and where is he now among alleged top 2019 DAWGS?.....

35 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Terrell Davis comparison is a bit much, it was a different era and a different style. TD was a horse that wore down defenses with that online.

Singletary is diminutive and stuck in 4th gear. He is a nice player but adding a game breaker would be a big plus. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PIZ said:

Can a player (Singletarty) significantly increase his speed in the offseason or is it “he’s a 4.66 guy forever”?

It’s not the 4.66 or 40 speed it’s the speed at which these guys play at.

Singeltary is in shape and wasn’t hurt, it’s likely that’s who he is as a runner. I don’t remember many RBs in the NFL getting faster unless they were injured or fat.

These guys have been running their entire lives, they are who they are. 

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He stood out to me when I was watching the DL.  Dunno anything about him as a player but in shorts, he looks like a day 2 player

He had some really good games in the Big 10 this year. It’s tough because that D as a whole lacked talent. They had a decent corner Lamar Jackson 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had some really good games in the Big 10 this year. It’s tough because that D as a whole lacked talent. They had a decent corner Lamar Jackson 

Yeah I had read about them prior to the season.  I grew up a hustler fan but lost my love for them when they hired Callahan.  Trying to get back into it now that they have frost, I usually work Saturday so I can’t watch many big ten games.  Frost needs to put up or shut up real soon.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Speed can’t be taught, so it’s always at a premium. That said, elusiveness is still the number one trait sought in a RBs. Speed can certainly be a component of elusiveness, but there have been plenty of blazing fast RBs over the years who couldn’t get out of their own way. The greatest tend to have that unique combination, like OJ or Sanders. But the Thurmans or Emmit Smiths of the world can do just fine. 

Speed can be taught - Don Beebe's House of Speed has shown this.  Improving speed is a lot of things including correcting motions, helping increasing acceleration, etc.  It is not all just dash time.

From Don Beebe's House of Speed website:

"Simply the best football training around.  If you're serious about your game, then House of Speed is the place to train."

Robert Quinn – St. Louis Rams – 1st Round NFL Draft Pick

Since working out at House of Speed I have become more explosive. It reminds me of myself when I first got into the NFL. I feel young again!”

Ahman Green – Green Bay Packers All Time Leading Rusher

“As a former NFL safety I know the importance of individual and team speed. Along with quickness and agility it is essential for success in today’s young athletes. “

John Lynch, nine-time NFL Pro Bowl Safety

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah I had read about them prior to the season.  I grew up a hustler fan but lost my love for them when they hired Callahan.  Trying to get back into it now that they have frost, I usually work Saturday so I can’t watch many big ten games.  Frost needs to put up or shut up real soon.

He seems to be recruiting well, and he’s on the right side of the conference. Have to catch Wisky in a down year. Purdue and Minny are making strides but they don’t have the depth to consistently beat the bigger programs. They have 2 or 3 nfl guys each year it seems 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

RB1, RB2, doesn’t matter. Point is that this team needs another legitimate backfield threat. I’ve been using the term a RB1b for what they need.

Motor can take 15-20 carries per game; we need a guy that can take another 12-16 and be a threat to score on each of them.

JMO

I agree 100%. Change of pace/speed back. I've got my eyes on Drake but I'd love to see them draft one too. 

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Speed can be taught - Don Beebe's House of Speed has shown this.  Improving speed is a lot of things including correcting motions, helping increasing acceleration, etc.  It is not all just dash time.

From Don Beebe's House of Speed website:

At best, marginal improvement may be gained by those not naturally blessed with speed. Taking nothing away from Don Beebe’s or similar speed and agility training facilities, but improvements in technique aren’t gonna make a back like Singletary and others like him into Chris Johnson. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I agree 100%. Change of pace/speed back. I've got my eyes on Drake but I'd love to see them draft one too. 

Drake would be a nice compliment to motor.  If we happen to sign our Gore replacement as opposed to drafting him,  I hope it’s for 1-2 years 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oooooh......does this mean you think the Beane-ster is the answer to the question "just who released those Allen tweets the night before the draft", then lied like a rug when he said they hadn't known about them and scrambled to investigate?

I am pretty sure when it comes time for Allen to sign new contract someone will leak info pointing leaks to Beane to try to increase discord and drive up price,

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am pretty sure when it comes time for Allen to sign new contract someone will leak info pointing leaks to Beane to try to increase discord and drive up price,

I don't see what Beane's motivation for leaks would possibly be.  It was pretty correctly rumored that Brownies were taking Mayfield and Jets were "all in" on whichever of Darnold or Mayfield was left at 3.

So it seems far more likely the leaker was someone hoping to knock Allen down further.  Instead, Beane swapped up.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't see what Beane's motivation for leaks would possibly be.  It was pretty correctly rumored that Brownies were taking Mayfield and Jets were "all in" on whichever of Darnold or Mayfield was left at 3.

So it seems far more likely the leaker was someone hoping to knock Allen down further.  Instead, Beane swapped up.

Some have tried to imply Bills did it which I do not think they did but that will not prevent some leaking stuff to press to try to stir trouble.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Have you watched Robinson? Monster.

Yes I watched him in person at the senior bowl practices. Nothing to flashy but always consistent. Had a great week, made a few plays in the game.

hes got solid size and speed. I see him a round 3 guy, gone by top 15 picks in the 4th at latest. 

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Yes I watched him in person at the senior bowl practices. Nothing to flashy but always consistent. Had a great week, made a few plays in the game.

hes got solid size and speed. I see him a round 3 guy, gone by top 15 picks in the 4th at latest. 

I think he’s got a legit shot to crack day 2 for sure. Nice long arms, good first step, and he can bend and close.

Condensed list of bills interviews as per walterfootball

• Cam Akers, RB, Florida State (COM)
  • Ross Blacklock, DT/3-4DE, TCU (COM)
  • Lynn Bowden, WR, Kentucky (COM)
  • K'Lavon Chaisson, DE/OLB, LSU (COM)
  • Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (COM)
  • Rodney Clemons, S, SMU (EW)
  • Michael Danna, DE, Michigan (EW)
  • Kevin Dotson, G, La.-Lafayette (EW)
  • Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU (COM)
  • Jon Greenard, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (COM)
  • Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/3-4OLB, Penn State (COM)
  • K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State (COM)
  • Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (COM)
  • K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State (COM)
  • Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU (COM)
  • Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah (COM)
  • Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech (COM)
  • Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina (COM)
  • Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (COM)
  • Zack Moss, RB, Utah (COM)
  • Kenneth Murray, OLB/ILB, Oklahoma (COM)
  • K.J. Osborn, WR, Miami (COM)
  • John Penisini, DT, Utah (EW)
  • Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (COM)
  • Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama (COM)
  • Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado (COM)
  • D'Andre Swift, RB, Georgia (COM)
  • Calvin Throckmorton, OT/G, Oregon (EW)
  • Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (COM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Drake would be a nice compliment to motor.  If we happen to sign our Gore replacement as opposed to drafting him,  I hope it’s for 1-2 years 

Drake wants 10 millon a year. I'd rather draft one, no need to tie up money in a back. People bitched about Shady's contract when we had him.

• Like (+1) 1