2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why? 

The Kelvin Benjamin trade and seeing how comfortable Allen was with Duke.  I mean, I see how a guy with a larger catch radius helps Josh, I have to believe they see it too.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Just a friendly reminder that literally every team in the NFL—including the one that eventually picked him—passed on that same player. There were legitimate questions as to whether or not he could run pass routes.

That's the part of football where the "experts" overthink things and rely too much on analytics instead of trusting their own eyes.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The Kelvin Benjamin trade and seeing how comfortable Allen was with Duke.  I mean, I see how a guy with a larger catch radius helps Josh, I have to believe they see it too.

That's the part of football where the "experts" overthink things and rely too much on analytics instead of trusting their own eyes.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

I actually think they decided he’s more comfortable with guys like Brown and Beasley than “Big possession guys” (if they actually catch it) like KB and Andre Holmes. Catch radius doesn’t always equate to larger frame. I don’t expect them to use size as a factor that would prop someone over another. That KB trade was a long time ago. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually think they decided he’s more comfortable with guys like Brown and Beasley than “Big possession guys” (if they actually catch it) like KB and Andre Holmes. Catch radius doesn’t always equate to larger frame. I don’t expect them to use size as a factor that would prop someone over another. That KB trade was a long time ago. 

I think folks are devaluing verticals and high pointing abilities. AB and OBJ are 5’10” and 5’11”. Separation is the name of the game... “open when covered” only matters if the WR can’t get open. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think folks are devaluing verticals and high pointing abilities. AB and OBJ are 5’10” and 5’11”. Separation is the name of the game... “open when covered” only matters if the WR can’t get open. 

Give me a Keenan Allen all day every day. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was a while ago, but it wouldn't be a stretch for them to draft someone like Higgins who has talent and size.

Maybe catch radius wasn't the right phrase.  A bigger target is more what I meant. 

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Just a friendly reminder that the Bills were WR needy last season and passed on a guy that is 6'4" 230lbs, ran a 4.33 and had a 40.5" vertical, yet he traded for Kelvin Benjamin.

To be fair, the Bills offensive line was HISTORICALLY awful in 2018, and it's hard to get the ball to your wide receivers if you can't stay upright.

I liked Metcalf, too, but to mention passing on Metcalf without also acknowledging that the player they picked instead ALSO filled a gigantic -- and arguably more important -- need for the Bills is only telling half the story.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

It was a while ago, but it wouldn't be a stretch for them to draft someone like Higgins who has talent and size.

Maybe catch radius wasn't the right phrase.  A bigger target is more what I meant. 

I agree it’s something that the current WR group doesn’t have (unless you count Duke) but I haven’t seen or heard anything from Beane to suggest he’s prioritizing it. I actually think he looks at the KB trade as more of a mistake that he’s learned from than something that would predict he prioritizes size. 

37 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Isn't it the other way around?  Analytics would rank DK at the top of the draft, but he failed the eye test for all the GMs to take him at the top of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GG said:

Isn't it the other way around?  Analytics would rank DK at the top of the draft, but he failed the eye test for all the GMs to take him at the top of the draft.

His metrics were generally a mixed bag. Pretty much average across the board with the exception of having a good breakout age. The guys watching film generally liked him a lot due to how easily he beat press coverage, stacked his man, and accelerated down the field for explosive plays.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

His metrics were generally a mixed bag. Pretty much average across the board with the exception of having a good breakout age. The guys watching film generally liked him a lot due to how easily he beat press coverage, stacked his man, and accelerated down the field for explosive plays.

Countered by concerns about route running, technique, catching the ball and picking up an NFL offense.

2 hours ago, GG said:

I'm referencing the 3-cone time.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

To be fair, the Bills offensive line was HISTORICALLY awful in 2018, and it's hard to get the ball to your wide receivers if you can't stay upright.

I liked Metcalf, too, but to mention passing on Metcalf without also acknowledging that the player they picked instead ALSO filled a gigantic -- and arguably more important -- need for the Bills is only telling half the story.

Talking about Cody Ford?  Yeah that hasn't panned out well so far, but we're about 2-3 years away from knowing for sure.

Edited by Chicken Boo