2020 NFL Combine

YoloinOhio

I definitely think we could see a trade down, gain a 2nd or even an additional 3rd to get the best WR left at the end of the 1st. Shenault, Higgins, Mims, Jefferson etc.... get our guy and still have more than enough picks to get back up into the early 2nd and grab another top guy.

4 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

Everyone should getting over the Claypool hype... I did not see anything special from him at the Senior Bowl practices. He’s a run straight guy. His route running was sub par, predictable and jerky/slow. Most CB had no problems making plays on him on intermediate routes. Slants and go route is all he’s got.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I definitely think we could see a trade down, gain a 2nd or even an additional 3rd to get the best WR left at the end of the 1st. Shenault, Higgins, Mims, Jefferson etc.... get our guy and still have more than enough picks to get back up into the early 2nd and grab another top guy.

Everyone should getting over the Claypool hype... I did not see anything special from him at the Senior Bowl practices. He’s a run straight guy. His route running was sub par, predictable and jerky/slow. Most CB had no problems making plays on him on intermediate routes. Slants and go route is all he’s got.

and an uncoverable catch radius. You know that open when not open type WR we have been looking for pretty much half my life.... 

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/video/1643407427699

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkILzs32mNM

Edited by badassgixxer05

27 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m probably on team #TradeDown, but we also have to be careful. If we don’t sign/trade for a starting caliber WR, we risk going into the season once again with two WRs that are ready to be significant contributors. I don’t think Mims and Shenault for example would address our need for a starter as a rookie despite being a worthy consideration in the 2nd round. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Hey pal, you back off my guy Claypool! I will not stand for this type of slander. 

9 hours ago, gobills404 said:

His 40 time is the one that makes absolutely no sense to me. He ran the 100m in 10.98 seconds in high school and when you watch him play he's got legit burners on him. I was thinking he must've had a bad start but then his 2nd run was even worse.

Some observers think he's put on weight since his last game.

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Really?

You want a repeat of the Sammy Watkins debacle?

For as much as hindsight might be 20/20, Watkins was viewed as generational talent.

Few things on this:

- Lamb and Watkins are different prospects.  One has nothing to do with the other

- Not all of us were on board with giving up that much for Sammy Watkins or with him being better than other WRs in that draft.  I think that he got overhyped here simply because of  what was given up.  There were also real risks with him that were overlooked by the NFL draft hype machine and most fans.

- The Bills are in a much different position in 2020 than they were in 2014.  Six years ago they knew they had a lot of needs, including a franchise QB.  They sat in a spot in the draft where they knew they could get a difference maker. The trade up then was unnecessary and reckless. Today the team is much more complete, but it lacks difference makers on offense.  Other than Allen there’s no one that defenses really need to make big adjustments for.  Lots of good players, but no one who scares a defense.  The Bills can get another really good player at 22, but they’re outside the window for elite prospects (unlike 2014).  They can stay put and get another really good player or they can try to trade up for a guy that scares a defense and makes them scheme to stop him. 
- In 2021 where would you expect the Bills to be drafting?  If the bulk of what I’m giving up for Lamb is 22 and another late 1st, then sign me up.  That’s stealing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

Can anyone remember an average WR with insane measurables at the combine who shined in the pros? I just too have too many Matt Jones nightmares to scare me off from them.

What exactly do you mean by average WR? A lot of times, you have cases like DK Metcalf for example where the raw production wasn't really there in college but the underlying metrics were.

Edit: Other examples of guys that didn't have a lot of raw production in college and tested extremely well:

• DJ Chark
  • Tyreek Hill (averaged like 40 receiving yards per game at West Alabama)
  • Kind of Michael Thomas (he didn't test as a freak but he tested in like the 80th percentile of WRs)
  • Mike Wallace (had like 3 or 4 1000 yard seasons in the NFL after never hitting 800 yards in college)
  • Steve Smith
  • Terry McLaurin
Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I agree completely. GMs care way more about game tape than the combine, which is why another height/weight/speed freak with poor agility in Metcalf didn't go until late in the second. The only difference is that Metcalf actually looked fast on the field too. Can't say the same about Claypool.

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

What exactly do you mean by average WR? A lot of times, you have cases like DK Metcalf for example where the raw production wasn't really there in college but the underlying metrics were.

Metcalf averaged 90 yards per game in his final year in college. I consider that pretty good.

I'm referring to a guy who maybe averaged 20-50 yards a game, had an amazing combine, get drafted in the pros and turn a stud? Think of Darrius Heyward-Bay. Has there been a case where a Bay turned out great from the combine and was just BLAH in college and drafted super high?

27 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I love me some Jefferson....I think he could be this year's McLaurin. 

I see a trade back in round 1.  gaining an additional early 3rd.  Trade down, grab whoever is there between Shenault, Higgins, Mims or Jefferson. I’d figure the FO will have those 4 high on their boards. Giving the Bills 3 more picks in rounds 2 & 3.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

One of my best friends in High School was his High School football coach at Central high Fresno California. Central high was won the Central Section title 3 years in a row, won the state title this year as well. Last 4-5 years Central has been loaded with talent.

I went back home about home last month (in military), asked Kyle what he thought of Jaylon Johnson because of all the Bills chatter.

He said, “best player I ever coached, one of the smartest too when it comes to football.” Said he’s a goals guy. Love to set goals. He said in the league he’d want to set goals like, lead team in Ints, then lead Division in ints, Conference, be pro bowler, be all pro. Studies film religiously. Just an amazing talent.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Metcalf averaged 90 yards per game in his final year in college. I consider that pretty good.

I'm referring to a guy who maybe averaged 20-50 yards a game, had an amazing combine, get drafted in the pros and turn a stud? Think of Darrius Heyward-Bay. Has there been a case where a Bay turned out great from the combine and was just BLAH in college and drafted super high?

Going back to my list again:

• McLaurin - 58 yards per game his senior year and 33 per game over his career. Ended up going in the 3rd and was a stud this year.
  • DJ Chark - One year of okay production, went in the 2nd, and was very good this past season.
  • Michael Thomas - Averaged 56 yards per game the two years he played a lot in college. Went in the 2nd and is obviously incredible.
  • Mike Wallace - Averaged 60 yards per game his senior year. Ended up going in the 3rd and was good.
  • Tyreek Hill - As I mentioned, he basically didn't do anything at all in college.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

College production is actually a misleading stat with projecting WRs to the nfl because it’s highly dependent on QB play, which is much more variable in college than in the nfl. There are also a lot more mouths to feed in college for coaches because they need to get their recruits in the field for other recruits to see and to keep guys from transferring and so on.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

Tyreke Hill's 2 college seasons:

OSU- 31 receptions,  381 yards, 1 TD

West Alabama- 27 receptions, 444 yards, 1 TD

He wasn't invited to the combine, but blew the roof off his pro day.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Love him.

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

One of my best friends in High School was his High School football coach at Central high Fresno California. Central high was won the Central Section title 3 years in a row, won the state title this year as well. Last 4-5 years Central has been loaded with talent.

I went back home about home last month (in military), asked Kyle what he thought of Jaylon Johnson because of all the Bills chatter.

He said, “best player I ever coached, one of the smartest too when it comes to football.” Said he’s a goals guy. Love to set goals. He said in the league he’d want to set goals like, lead team in Ints, then lead Division in ints, Conference, be pro bowler, be all pro. Studies film religiously. Just an amazing talent.

I've been watching him again this week. I am really close to moving him up to round 1. Love him. Love him. Love him.

My boy Aiyuk is a first round pick all day.

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love him.

I've been watching him again this week. I am really close to moving him up to round 1. Love him. Love him. Love him.

He’s on my list to get to next week. Along with several other corners line Arnette, Gladney, and Igby

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Edit: Other examples of guys that didn't have a lot of raw production in college and tested extremely well:

• DJ Chark
  • Tyreek Hill (averaged like 40 receiving yards per game at West Alabama)
  • Kind of Michael Thomas (he didn't test as a freak but he tested in like the 80th percentile of WRs)
  • Mike Wallace (had like 3 or 4 1000 yard seasons in the NFL after never hitting 800 yards in college)
  • Steve Smith
  • Terry McLaurin

Jerry Rice?

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This years mclaurin that is a 1st rd pick. Can’t see him lasting til rd 2

Yeah Jefferson actually moved up my list of ok if we take him with our 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jerry Rice?

Yeah Jefferson actually moved up my list of ok if we take him with our 1

?? We need guys that can catch allens lasers.  Jefferson is probably the best in this draft not named Lamb.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Just based off freak athletic ability I wonder if they are looking at Claypool

He's the only prospect we interviewed at both the Senior Bowl and the Combine so far. I would say we're definitely showing interest in him.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This years mclaurin that is a 1st rd pick. Can’t see him lasting til rd 2

Maybe....maybe not. You're still talking about maybe 4 other WRs that go before him, then some QBs, DE / Edge guys....I don't know. At the bottom of Round 1 to the beginning of Round 2, would make the most sense IMO.

33 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Maybe....maybe not. You're still talking about maybe 4 other WRs that go before him, then some QBs, DE / Edge guys....I don't know. At the bottom of Round 1 to the beginning of Round 2, would make the most sense IMO.

I agree I think we are only looking at 3 WRs in the 1st, maybe 4. Depth of the class will push other positions up who are top heavy like pass rushers and OT

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree I think we are only looking at 3 WRs in the 1st, maybe 4. Depth of the class will push other positions up who are top heavy like pass rushers and OT

I think you always see at least 1 more OT in the first than “should” go; OTs are always in demand.

Side note: rewatching these WR drills; I’m amazed at how skilled these kids are. Just incredible.

CeeDee Lamb is amazing.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think you always see at least 1 more OT in the first than “should” go; OTs are always in demand.

Side note: rewatching these WR drills; I’m amazed at how skilled these kids are. Just incredible.

CeeDee Lamb is amazing.

I think lamb is up there with young and okudah.  The depth of this draft could push him down. If this was a WR starved class, he could be top 5.  He’s truly special imo.

• Like (+1) 2