Sammy Haggar was a better lead singer for Van Halen than David Lee Roth

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

David Lee Roth's voice and range were deceptively excellent.  Yes, Sammy Hagar has a much bigger range, but in his day, David Lee Roth had some pipes and was a fantastic singer.

He was a lead singer in a rock and roll band but his voice was more unique than excellent. 

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I refused to listen to 5150 for a solid year after it came out.  I was PISSED that Dave was gone and wanted no part of Sammy.  Buddies finally talked me into listening and I loved it as soon as I heard it. 

That said, I really liked 5150, OU812 and F.U.C.K. … after that, it was crap.

At least I can say (opine, anyway) that the entire DLR-era VH discography is excellent.  Can't say that about the Sammy-era.

Nobody can take away ones personal life or listening enjoyments, things do go on after we stop being part of listening culture that buys up everything in sight, as we get older

but we can set up discussions and sort it out and maybe get some tips on what we missed out on when we started to work and maybe raise a family 

I will give the Sammy stuff a spin this year, thanks for the recommendations

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Nobody can take away ones personal life or listening enjoyments, things do go on after we stop being part of listening culture that buys up everything in sight, as we get older

but we can set up discussions and sort it out and maybe get some tips on what we missed out on when we started to work and maybe raise a family 

I will give the Sammy stuff a spin this year, thanks for the recommendations

My pleasure!  I'll also add that I'm not a fan of the sappy love song crap.  Their radio-friendly hits were just that.  They paid the bills.  But there are some fantastic pure rock tunes on those albums that radio would never touch.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, bbb said:

Did he talk about working as a paramedic not really all that long ago?  I think his dad is a doctor. 

Yes, that definitely worked its way into the conversation.  And yes, he talks a lot about his dad, who was an eye surgeon who worked for the State of California prison system.  He says they never had any money when he was a kid growing up in Pasadena, as his father was an adult student in med school at that time.

He is actually a very interesting guy and his podcasts with Joe Rogan are some of my favorite JR podcasts, in a way that I would never have anticipated.

His first appearance is where he talks *a lot* about life in Tokyo.  Tons of interesting stories.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Yes, that definitely worked its way into the conversation.  And yes, he talks a lot about his dad, who was an eye surgeon who worked for the State of California prison system.  He says they never had any money when he was a kid growing up in Pasadena, as his father was an adult student in med school at that time.

He is actually a very interesting guy and his podcasts with Joe Rogan are some of my favorite JR podcasts, in a way that I would never have anticipated.

His first appearance is where he talks *a lot* about life in Tokyo.  Tons of interesting stories. 

All of them are. ?

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I could care less who was a better singer, if that was my criteria I'd listen to more Pavarotti. Dave helped make songs great, Sammy never did that for me.  I don't agree that Dave couldn't sing Sammy songs, he just wouldn't sing them the same way - and I'd probably like them more with Dave. 

Right on, I never listen to rock or pop music for the technical prowess of the singer. There are certainly some great singers in rock music, but rock’s more about attitude than technical ability. I appreciate when I hear a great singer, but it’s not crucial to my appreciation of rock music. Neither Sammy nor Dave are great technical singers tbh. Rock fans might consider Sammy a great singer, but Sammy wouldn’t be considered a great singer by opera or showtune people. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Right on, I never listen to rock or pop music for the technical prowess of the singer. There are certainly some great singers in rock music, but rock’s more about attitude than technical ability. I appreciate when I hear a great singer, but it’s not crucial to my appreciation of rock music. Neither Sammy nor Dave are great technical singers tbh. Rock fans might consider Sammy a great singer, but Sammy wouldn’t be considered a great singer by opera or showtune people. 

As a classical and opera fan I can gladly put a permanent wall of separation up to divide my appreciation from front men in pop and rock

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/22/2020 at 4:58 PM, SirAndrew said:

nothing personal but....

showtune people :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, SinceThe70s said:

I could care less who was a better singer, if that was my criteria I'd listen to more Pavarotti. Dave helped make songs great, Sammy never did that for me.  I don't agree that Dave couldn't sing Sammy songs, he just wouldn't sing them the same way - and I'd probably like them more with Dave. 

this is where i'm at with it.  i just happen to like the van halen/roth songs far more than the music that when sammy was lead.  not that i think sammy isn't a great front guy, but i just prefer the music of vh and david was the guy.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:22 PM, Doc said:

You are welcome.

And then there's this:

BTW, George Lynch (Dokken) said that he and Eddie went to the Starwood in the late 70's and they saw a guy playing there named Harvey Mandel who was tapping before Eddie was doing it and that Eddie copied him.

Any reactions to either of these?  Everyone seen/heard them before? 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Any reactions to either of these?  Everyone seen/heard them before? 

I'm listening............these are cool! 

I think that the best inventions ever are, in no particular order:

1. Internal combustion engine

2. Internet

3. RedZone channel

4. Yoga pants

5. YouTube

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm listening............these are cool! 

I think that the best inventions ever are, in no particular order:

1. Internal combustion engine

2. Internet

3. RedZone channel

4. Yoga pants

5. YouTube

You have to think big picture! I would add the wheel and dinosaur repellent. I think my young friend @plenzmd1 would agree, as he also greatly benefitted when both were discovered. 

BTW - if it’s no particular order, why did you number them 1-5? It makes me feel the internal combustion engine is greater than yoga pants for some reason.....and I feel that is misleading. 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

You have to think big picture! I would add the wheel and dinosaur repellent. I think my young friend @plenzmd1 would agree, as he also greatly benefitted when both were discovered. 

BTW - if it’s no particular order, why did you number them 1-5? It makes me feel the internal combustion engine is greater than yoga pants for some reason.....and I feel that is misleading. 

Does this make you feel better?

Image result for girl yoga pants engine

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Hagar is a better singer. But VH put out better material with Dave.

Not necessarily better.  I think both Michael Anthony and Alex Van Halen did a lot more with their respective instruments during the Hagar-era.

I like both eras.  A lot.  Both turned out fantastic albums that were completely different.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

any other handicapped people you kind of mock

this is sorta in the doosh-chills territory...

It's a joke that even Stevie is in on. It started when Shaq, who's friends with him, started making comments about how he can catch things that are thrown at him. Also, Elton John said in his autobiography that he and Stevie went out on a snowmobile ride in the 70s, and Stevie insisted on driving, and drove perfectly. 

24 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It's a joke that even Stevie is in on. It started when Shaq, who's friends with him, started making comments about how he can catch things that are thrown at him. Also, Elton John said in his autobiography that he and Stevie went out on a snowmobile ride in the 70s, and Stevie insisted on driving, and drove perfectly. 

I'm sure that Stevie and Sammy had to put up with a ton of "jokes" that they pretended were funny

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

I'm sure that Stevie and Sammy had to put up with a ton of "jokes" that they pretended were funny

It's not a joke.  Steveland ain't blind.

• Like (+1) 1

okay Hagar fans, what compares to this in full context?  as in they seem to have a great time goofing around as well as high-level performance

this is just the first of 2 dozen, by the way....

there is no possible way to play these tunes too loud

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Sammy was probably the better singer/misician, but Diamond Dave is, well... Diamond Dave!  One of the best front men in Rock and Roll history.

Who would some of the other best be? Just curious as to peoples tastes.