Brees ponders retirement; Saints see Hill as 2021 starter?

OK this got mentioned in the Taysom Hill FA thread and roundly dismissed, but I just saw it on NBC Sports

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/drew-brees-retirement-talk-isnt-idle-chatter/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-want-drew-brees-to-pass-the-torch-to-taysom-hill-for-2021-season-per-report/
(though CBS appears to be just quoting Florio)

The gist is that Brees is "genuinely and seriously" pondering retirement and the Saints QB succession plan is....Taysom Hill.

"As one source explained it to PFT, the Saints wants Brees back for what would essentially become a transition year, from Brees to Taysom Hill with Hill becoming the starter in 2021."

"Brees has said he’ll take a month or so to make a decision, and it should surprise no one if Brees decides to walk away. Whatever he does, the Saints will need a plan for keeping Hill, a restricted free agent who could generate plenty of interest if available to be signed to an offer sheet"

I looked up Taysom Hill.  He's 29 years old, and threw like 7 passes in 6 games this past season.  Seems like kind of a slender branch to hang your new QB hopes on. 

Can this possibly be real?  I would think they'd do far better with Teddy Bridgewater, who led them to 5-0 and played quite well.  You'd like to see more yards passing, but how much has Hill shown he can pass in a game?

Edit: here's another source

https://saintlyreport.com/2020/01/29/teddy-bridgewater-talks-nfl-future-amid-taysom-hill-succession-chatter/
https://saintlyreport.com/2020/01/14/once-drew-brees-retires-taysom-hill-will-take-the-reins-says-former-saints-coach/

OK, peeps, help me understand the Hill love.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taysom-hill-1.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sneaky difficult situation for the Saints because if they pay Hill a significant contract, and want to keep him happy, they will want to expand his role probably. The rumors are that they love him dearly. They also love Brees dearly. 

It is a similar situation to Tyrod in Baltimore. I believe Harbaugh LOVED Tyrod. If Flacco was a year from retiring, they may have tried to keep him from leaving and bridged the two QBs.

As well as Teddy played, and you have to give him props, the offense wasn’t as smooth with TB as it was with Brees. But Hill is a guy who is an absolute wild card. I’m not sure what he’s shown in practice, but it’s not like they made him the starter when Brees was hurt.

I would say it’s not likely they want Hill as a starter yet. Maybe they think with another year in the system, he may show something. Maybe they pay him big on a one or two year deal, promise him the starting job after Brees retires next season, and try him out. I don’t see any other team signing Hill as a starting QB so they may not have much competition.

Edited by BringBackOrton

Just now, Utah John said:

Rivers has moved his family to far western Florida, near the Alabama state line.  (This is a beautiful area, by the way.)  The closest NFL franchise to that location is New Orleans.  Just saying.

Ha! That be ironic. Yet think he moved there more due to taxes and the proximity to his childhood home in Alabama.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Hanging their QB hat on a slash type with 13 career attempts and zero TDs sounds like a horrendous succession plan.

Eekd I had flashbacks of Tyrod Taylor with that statement.

49 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Sneaky difficult situation for the Saints because if they pay Hill a significant contract, and want to keep him happy, they will want to expand his role probably. The rumors are that they love him dearly. They also love Brees dearly. 

It is a similar situation to Tyrod in Baltimore. I believe Harbaugh LOVED Tyrod. If Flacco was a year from retiring, they may have tried to keep him from leaving and bridged the two QBs.

As well as Teddy played, and you have to give him props, the offense wasn’t as smooth with TB as it was with Brees. But Hill is a guy who is an absolute wild card. I’m not sure what he’s shown in practice, but it’s not like they made him the starter when Brees was hurt.

I would say it’s not likely they want Hill as a starter yet. Maybe they think with another year in the system, he may show something. Maybe they pay him big on a one or two year deal, promise him the starting job after Brees retires next season, and try him out. I don’t see any other team signing Hill as a starting QB so they may not have much competition.

Teddy is you 9-7 bridge, taysoms your 2-14 but sell season tickets guy

i think they genuinely love having taysom as a contributor but would be SHOCKED if anyone thinks he’s the answer 

41 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If Brees retires I don’t care what any sources or reports say they’ll keep hill and teddy B. 
Until it happens I can not believe they would put all their eggs in hill as the franchise quarterback. 

The only explanation if it goes this way is a full tank but keeping fan enthusiasm higher than some other third tier free agent that would be too obvious a tank 

I believe Brees will come back to beat out Brady in the record books though.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Brees, Rivers, Brady all should retire. The time has come. 

23 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You forgot to include BIG Ben in that group too that said Brees was good last year when he was on the field.

Yes.  I would say Brees does not belong in that group yet.  He can still play.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Hanging their QB hat on a slash type with 13 career attempts and zero TDs sounds like a horrendous succession plan.

it’s not even great passing. 

even with the benefit of misdirection he’s a 50% guy. And if you look at the playoff throw the only reason it wasn’t 7 was the throw being way off. Dude got wide open and ended up having to wait for the ball (and defender) to get to him. 

14 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Rivers has moved his family to far western Florida, near the Alabama state line.  (This is a beautiful area, by the way.)  The closest NFL franchise to that location is New Orleans.  Just saying.

If it's Blue Mountain Beach Between Pensacola and Panama City, I believe Rivers already had a family vacation home in that area for some years.

I can not see NO trying to replace Brees with Rivers, but whaddo I know.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If it's Blue Mountain Beach Between Pensacola and Panama City, I believe Rivers already had a family vacation home in that area for some years.

I can not see NO trying to replace Brees with Rivers, but whaddo I know.

I almost feel like the saints leadership would be uncomfortable putting that storyline together (both for their own sake and Drew’s)

• Haha (+1) 1

Assuming there is a fire where all this smoke is being generated, the Saints are taking a significant risk, but if they are projecting Hill as their future starter, signing him to an appropriate contract as a restricted free agent shouldn't be much of an issue.  The only question is to what extent will they try to hedge their bet.  If Brees plays one more season, will the Saints carry a third QB on the roster, one who might have some starting potential if Hill disappoints?  I assume that even if Brees sticks around, the Saints will look for circumstances where they can insert Taysom Hill to pla a more conventional QB and do some actual passing,  I assume Bridgewater is going to look for greener pastures elsewhere if he is a free agent.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, the sense that Brees is retiring has really caught traction over the last week or so here. I don’t buy it but buy it more than I did a month ago. I’m not sure where it came from but those that follow the Saints closely think it’s possible.

I think Drew's noticing as good as he is the Saints likely won't win a Super Bowl anytime soon so likely nothing more to play for.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Drew's noticing as good as he is the Saints likely won't win a Super Bowl anytime soon so likely nothing more to play for.

I always believed that he wouldn’t leave without every record locked up. He has most now but Brady can take a few. At this point Brees is the much better player too. I don’t know though because the people that follow the Saints like I do the Bills think it’s possible if not likely. 

Don't go Drew.  You need to outlast Brady for all the records!

21 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Hard to believe they never made it back to the SB despite having six 11 win seasons (including three 13 win seasons!) since their title.

Edited by KD in CA

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, the sense that Brees is retiring has really caught traction over the last week or so here. I don’t buy it but buy it more than I did a month ago. I’m not sure where it came from but those that follow the Saints closely think it’s possible.

It’s definitely become a maybe. I’d be surprised but no longer SHOCKED by it. 

It’s hard to think of Brees retiring, whereas Brady, and Rivers have lost a step (that’s not a knock on them, but Father Time always wins).  I just keep thinking he has unfinished business when he didn’t make it to the SB the last three years, but was close.  He has a great team around him, and if he came back, he’d still be on a mission.

If he retires, I just don’t know why they wouldn’t choose Bridgewater to carry the torch.  He may not be Brees, but who is Brees.  Hill was just not impressive.

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The Saints should have gone to the Super Bowl in 2018, if not for the terrible no-PI call.

This year they ended 13-3, despite their starting QB missing a quarter of the season.

New Orleans is still very much a contender.

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always believed that he wouldn’t leave without every record locked up. He has most now but Brady can take a few. At this point Brees is the much better player too. I don’t know though because the people that follow the Saints like I do the Bills think it’s possible if not likely. 

which one's EGO will make him play more?

my bet is Tainted Tom.  He claims he still has a lot to prove. ?

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

which one's EGO will make him play more?

my bet is Tainted Tom.  He claims he still has a lot to prove. ?

I don’t know, Brees has a MASSIVE ego as well. All great QBs do.

With that being said Brees is a much better player at this point than Brady. If he played all 16 games this year he was on pace for: 74.3% completion, 4,333 yards, 39 TD passes, 6 INTs. 

Brady over 16 games in 2019: 60.8% completion, 4,057 yards, 24 TD passes, 8 INTs

29 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Toss Rodgers on that pile as well.

Rodgers and Brees still dominated this year. And Rodgers did it with minimal weapons. 

9 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

They lost 3 games this year. They may not get the Superbowl but they are definitely one of the favorites. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Isn't that just a Sweet Mystery of Life, now. 

1. Bridgewater is better. than Hill. The Saints know it. 
  2. Brees is better than Bridgewater.
  3. The Saints, a very well run organization, can't afford Bridgewater and Hill and Brees.
  4. Saints are not prepared to commit to Bridgewater as Brees replacement (and the painful 2020 season roster changes that entails related to having 2 highly expensive QBs). This is the exact sort of player stockpiling the salary cap is designed to prevent.
  5. Notwithstanding Bridgewater's fine backup performance, Hill is far more important for a 2020 last hurrah with Brees, than Bridgewater is. If Brees gets hurt again, then the hurrah is over. Based on Brees retirement comments, the next injury is likely career ending. 
  6. Since Bridgewater is just too expensive to retain for 2020, he is by default not part of the Saints future. 
  7. Hill will be on the roster, so he becomes the QB until the Saints find someone better, which is not now, but could very well be likely in the 2021 off-season.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK this got mentioned in the Taysom Hill FA thread and roundly dismissed, but I just saw it on NBC Sports

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/drew-brees-retirement-talk-isnt-idle-chatter/
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/saints-want-drew-brees-to-pass-the-torch-to-taysom-hill-for-2021-season-per-report/
(though CBS appears to be just quoting Florio)

The gist is that Brees is "genuinely and seriously" pondering retirement and the Saints QB succession plan is....Taysom Hill.

"As one source explained it to PFT, the Saints wants Brees back for what would essentially become a transition year, from Brees to Taysom Hill with Hill becoming the starter in 2021."

"Brees has said he’ll take a month or so to make a decision, and it should surprise no one if Brees decides to walk away. Whatever he does, the Saints will need a plan for keeping Hill, a restricted free agent who could generate plenty of interest if available to be signed to an offer sheet"

I looked up Taysom Hill.  He's 29 years old, and threw like 7 passes in 6 games this past season.  Seems like kind of a slender branch to hang your new QB hopes on. 

Can this possibly be real?  I would think they'd do far better with Teddy Bridgewater, who led them to 5-0 and played quite well.  You'd like to see more yards passing, but how much has Hill shown he can pass in a game?

Edit: here's another source

https://saintlyreport.com/2020/01/29/teddy-bridgewater-talks-nfl-future-amid-taysom-hill-succession-chatter/
https://saintlyreport.com/2020/01/14/once-drew-brees-retires-taysom-hill-will-take-the-reins-says-former-saints-coach/

OK, peeps, help me understand the Hill love.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taysom-hill-1.html

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/new-orleans-saints-quarterback-taysom-hill-highlights-2019-season

Watch this and you'll see why... guy can do everything! And he plays so sexyyy. This was how I hoped Tebow would play but he didn't want to.:wub:

He and Brees almost got them the win in the playoffs after being down big

Edited by Sherlock Holmes
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why would Hill be that much of a stretch? Many backup QBs never see the field. Did you see a lot of Tyrod Taylor before he started for the Bills? Or Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, etc.?

He might NOT be the answer at all, but his lack of "true QB" role so far is no indication one way or the other. And he is a freak athlete and well, Lamar has shown what can be done with that. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So in other words, in "rapid decline"....lol

Oh, 100% in agreement with you on that. Rodgers and Brady look like middle of the pack QBs. Maybe, borderline top 10ish guys. They are high end game managers at this point. That’s not meant to be an insult. They just don’t carry their respective teams to victory like they used to. Those guys were 2 of the best 3 QBs in the league for a decade and a half. Brees was the 3rd guy in that group. Brees is still in the elite tier. Rodgers and Brady were not this year.

• Like (+1) 2

Rogers is over rated. That doesn't mean he's not good, but the praise, status and fame he has doesn't match his accomplishments. 

His story does show the power of having a ring, though. 

It was popular for a while to call him the "best QB in the league." That always bugged me in a world where Brady and Peyton combined for 13 AFC titles and 8 Super Bowl wins while Rogers watched on his couch with his 1 appearance and 1 win. 

As far as Brees goes, I hope he plays just to put the records out of Brady's reach. It won't matter long-term, because Mahomes could break those records 15 years into his career and still have a handful left. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, 100% in agreement with you on that. Rodgers and Brady look like middle of the pack QBs. Maybe, borderline top 10ish guys. They are high end game managers at this point. That’s not meant to be an insult. They just don’t carry their respective teams to victory like they used to. Those guys were 2 of the best 3 QBs in the league for a decade and a half. Brees was the 3rd guy in that group. Brees is still in the elite tier. Rodgers and Brady were not this year.

Agreed.  The narrative here has been that Brady is done, yet Rodgers is still hyped widely.  They had similar results this year.  Both tail ends of careers.