Lamar Jackson scores 2 points in the Precision Passing Pro-Bowl Skills Competition.

Fingon

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

And that's pretty close to his best too. He's pretty consistently an above average receiver. Not pro bowl worthy.

In 2018 he was 22nd in receiving yards. Tied for 63rd in TD's. Is that Pro Bowl material?

In 2019 he was 10th in receiving yards. Tied for 24th in TD's. Is that Pro Bowl material?

There are scores of guys who should be getting in over him.

I think I'll talk about whatever player I want. Being a Bills fans does not mean you can only talk about Bills players.

Again I don't think it's the yards for him . He has led the AFC in catches 2 or 3 times

I don't think he's that great but he probably leads the AFC in catches over the last 5 seasons

He had seasons with 112 and 110 catches and 94 for 1100 yards

Thats prolly why he got in.. again I don't think he's great but I can see a few years why he made it 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again I don't think it's the yards for him . He has led the AFC in catches 2 or 3 times

I don't think he's that great but he probably leads the AFC in catches over the last 5 seasons

He had seasons with 112 and 110 catches and 94 for 1100 yards

Thats prolly why he got in.. again I don't think he's great but I can see a few years why he made it 

I think he deserves probably 2 of those 5 pro bowls. But he's like a lock every year now, which I think isn't right.

The WR’s looked better throwing the football. If a GM was at his pro day and he threw like this I can easily see where a GM might guide him towards being a WR or RB. He was missing the targets by a large margin, those 4 point targets looked to be 30 yards away and were the size of one of those small trampolines. Next year he will be injured or have a down year.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

2 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d be more concerned about Roman’s passing game construction. The run schemes are brilliant, but that’s where his genius goes.... The passing concepts are very average which likely doesn’t help Jackson at all. Roman and Jackson will have to adjust. 

So while I agree Roman is a genius run game coordinator and not as good at designing a passing game he did change his traditional passing scheme to suit Jackson's strengths. With both Kap and Tyrod Roman's passing game mainly relied on safer throws to the outside and deep shots down the sideline. Both in San Fran and then here fans consistently moaned about them not using the middle of the field enough. In Baltimore this year passing over the middle (where Jackson was always more developed - even in college) has been a staple of the scheme because that is what his Quarterback does well. 

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The WR’s looked better throwing the football. If a GM was at his pro day and he threw like this I can easily see where a GM might guide him towards being a WR or RB. He was missing the targets by a large margin, those 4 point targets looked to be 30 yards away and were the size of one of those small trampolines. Next year he will be injured or have a down year.

I seem to remember Jackson looking pretty bad at his pro day as well.

He had a great season and deserves kudos, but I can see why there are those that question his abilities going forward.

The skills competition is more interesting than the actual game.

Make the Pro Bowl a flag football game and bring back some legends to play alongside the current all-stars. Marino and Kelly used to have their own game between their own squads of retired guys for charity. 

Montana, Favre, Peyton Manning, Marino, even guys like Boomer could probably still play a flag football game. 

Probably couldn't do legends vs current guys, but you could make the legends QB captains and they pick teams and play part of the game. I'll bet Deion Sanders could still play. 

It would be 100X more interesting. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So while I agree Roman is a genius run game coordinator and not as good at designing a passing game he did change his traditional passing scheme to suit Jackson's strengths. With both Kap and Tyrod Roman's passing game mainly relied on safer throws to the outside and deep shots down the sideline. Both in San Fran and then here fans consistently moaned about them not using the middle of the field enough. In Baltimore this year passing over the middle (where Jackson was always more developed - even in college) has been a staple of the scheme because that is what his Quarterback does well. 

I’m not sure how much of that is Roman though. He’s by no means daft, but Culley is their passing game coordinator and was hired to help redesign the passing schemes. 

When Mornhinweg declined an offer to stay on staff, the Ravens wanted to hire an experienced coach with expertise in the passing game to help build an offense around 22-year-old quarterback Lamar Jackson.”

As much as Culley wasn’t the best QB coach here he certainly has a massive knowledge base when it comes to route concepts, etc. Particularly from spending so much time under Andy Reid. Still, the Ravens had issues with WRs getting free when Jackson didn’t pressure the LoS. 

That said, the offense is capable of evolving. Harbough has created an environment where the whole offense is a collaborative effort. I’m just not certain how far the changes will go, if they’ll lose critical staff before reaching its potential, or if Jackson will improve his outside passing. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2019/01/baltimore-ravens-hire-david-culley-as-passing-game-coordinatorwide-receivers-coach.html%3foutputType=amp

....could very well be the next RG II 5/8 or Kaep, both who hit the limelight hard, but were eventually figured out by opposing DC's....think the Watson kid has skill set to become better balanced.....Wilson is just....Wilson......guy has honed his skills and craft exponentially......

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

People want to be right about him so bad!

I just don’t get it, either. He’s one of the most fun players to watch in history. Not sure why we all just can’t enjoy it while we can.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I just don’t get it, either. He’s one of the most fun players to watch in history. Not sure why we all just can’t enjoy it while we can.

As long as he’s not the barrier to us getting to the Promised Land, I’ll enjoy watching him. It’s different and fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No one. 

Some have questioned if Mahomes would be "as good" if he had been plopped in with the Bills offense last season instead of handed the keys to an established offensive system loaded with talent on OL and at skill positions that was #5 in the league the previous year.

In this polarized world, that is seen as saying "Mahomes isn't good", because saying he wouldn't have had the same MVP season and looked all-world here with our surrounding cast is Just That Same Thing.

I think Harbaugh said "we're gonna talk to the guy and conduct our own assessment of his Football intelligence, you raise your eyebrows all you want, we don't care"

Mahomes could have had a MUCH less productive 2018 and STILL looked "all-world"............so don't pat yourself on the back too much for being a voice of reason.

It's a league where there is a guy in the NFC throwing at a 74% completion rate over the last 3 years and still Mahomes is in a class by himself in terms of impact on a team and ability to bring a team back from a deficit etc..

For all the talk about what Mahomes wouldn't have done here............there is only one QB in the NFL who could have taken that flawed Chiefs team to a Super Bowl.     

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

When he was here in Buffalo all i could think watching him was "phenomenal athlete, ok passer."

I saw passes behind, high, low all over the place. He will be a good starter for years and I have no doubt he belongs in this league. But he is and likely never will be a precision passer. It will be interesting to see how he responds next year to teams taking away the middle of the field and his running lanes. Can he start hitting of outside passes consistently?

could age into a Russell Wilson, or a Colin kaepernick just as easily. There was a time when CK was the potential mvp game changer. Its hard to learn to pass though and hard to be the long term answer until you can. The arm is what overcomes the talent drop around you when that big pay day comes.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but it seems that many here think and post that way.  Rather pathetic, IMO.

And the opposite is the same here too. Only be critical of all other QBs, Josh a

Cannot be criticized cause he is a Golden God of QBs and it's everyone else fault......

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I seem to remember Jackson looking pretty bad at his pro day as well.

He had a great season and deserves kudos, but I can see why there are those that question his abilities going forward.

They schemes around what he was poor at. Passing to wide receivers on the outside and also wide outs who were not ‘open’. 
I have asked this before and still have not received an answer from anyone. Did Lamar audible at the LOS? I don’t recall seeing it against the Bills or the other games I watched him play in, Pats, Tenn, or SF. 

9 hours ago, CLTbills said:

He was never an accurate passer. His legs allowed him to beat you with his arm, but it wasn't through pin-point, precision throws. It was moving the pocket and extending plays

I have seen him thread some passes between defenders on the move, but I do think that stacking the box and playing man is the defensive model that gives a team the best chance to shut them down.

Not everyone can shut down their running game even with 8 in the box, or has the kind of defensive backfield that can play man, or the abilility to match up with their TEs when they release.

If they can it does force him to have to throw more often into smaller windows where dbs and safeties are not pealing back to defend the run and gives teams a better chance of getting him on the ground.

I am not a fan of labeling these young QBs "gimmicks" quite yet; although I admit if Lamar was forced to operate out of the pocket (if he got dinged during a season and could not run or cut as he does) he would be far far less effective as a QB in the system Baltimore has built to take advantage of those skills.