Jerry Hughes performance of late

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I could be wrong but shaq seems to be lining up a lot more in Hughes spot. And I could also be wrong but he looks like he gets a lot better pass rush from that side. I don’t know the exact snap counts or nothing though. 
I like the rotations on the line this year. Murphy has been the obvious weak link. Although he has made a few nice plays too. 
I have faith they are going to want to keep as much continuity as possible on the defense and just sprinkle in a couple new faces. They have stayed quite healthy so far and have really gelled as a unit. There should not be a ton of turnover. As others have said we have a pretty nice roster I would like to think this next offseason is looking to add 2-3 real impact players, and everything else mostly for depth and future replacements. We’re in great shape for this offseason. 

That was earlier in the year when Lawson was coming off the bench.  You are correct they would have him line up opposite the LT. the last month or so Shaq has been playing more but not exclusively opposite the RT.

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

The disruption is huge. Same goes for Edmunds. He only has 1.5 sacks but imagine that dude getting anywhere near you. I know there was a play last week (that I can't find) where Edmunds crashed in on Duck untouched, and Hodges just tossed it away like "nope". Those plays don't really hit a lot of stat sheets. This defense can be chaos for QBs right now.

And Jerry still has 4.5 sacks so he's contributing. His 10 sack years were on bad teams where he was pretty much the guy, and now he's a piece of the puzzle. You've got Ed Oliver now, Tremaine Edmunds, Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson, and then Jerry Hughes still picking up 5-6 sacks a season? That's scary.

Um, his 10-sack years came playing across from a still-dominant Mario Williams and a pre-2nd contract Marcel Dareus. The 2014 Bills D was dominant, and the 2013 D was excellent as well, racking up a ton of sacks. Those were his two 10-sack seasons.

we have a ton of room and the draft.  I'd ditch either lawson or murphy (would rather keep shaq, but numbers will be the decider) and maybe go get clowney or a monster in FA.  I'd also look at drafting a SAM backer, CB, and could take another flyer late on  safety depth (would help w special teams too).

for DT i'd keep star and harry and oliver and phillips.  if you throw a legit can't be single blocked DE to this front, you are talking about a D that will be talked about for a decade.

I think in a lot of ways Phillips and Lawson are benefiting from a lot of A+ work being done by Jerry and Ed O. That Dline is playing like a team within a team and it's been a really great revelation as of late. I think Frazier (or mcd) has really figured out how to manipulate rotations, stunts, looks, etc. to set up the group as a whole for success.

That being said, Jerry is a good component of that, but he's not a sack master whose going to dominate by himself and draw doubles all game long. He never really has been. His best seasons came when he was playing beside Kyle, Marcell (before he discovered little debbie), and peak Mario. I wouldn't hate adding a truly dominate DE in the draft or FA, but that's easier said than done. 

From listening to 1 Bills Live the other day our guy in the know Chris Brown says Hughes has been dealing with a groin issue for the bigger part of the season which could be a good reason why his stats are down but i think the opposition still has to game plan for him .

Not to mention his veteran leadership in the locker room ! 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Curious what the board thinks. He has not gotten the sacks or even many negative plays. But when I watch him, he is still very disruptive, wins many of his one on one situations, maintains containment reasonably well, and is holding his own against the run. Overall I think he is still playing at a high level and with Lawson playing opposite him more as of late, the D-line has been more dominant. 

Thoughts?

He has been applying pressure, just need for him to make tackle

3 hours ago, Jay free said:

If I'm the GM fellas I call Jerry, Star, Tyler, Trent, Poyer, and yeldon, and tell em all to take this significant pay cut, or get to stepping.

i want the young bucks to get some time anyway......Vincent taylor, Darryl Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, .......

This can not be serious.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Curious what the board thinks. He has not gotten the sacks or even many negative plays. But when I watch him, he is still very disruptive, wins many of his one on one situations, maintains containment reasonably well, and is holding his own against the run. Overall I think he is still playing at a high level and with Lawson playing opposite him more as of late, the D-line has been more dominant. 

Thoughts?

Considering he is held almost every play he rushes the QB I think he is doing great.  If he would get a holding call once a season or so then he would be much more effective.

12 hours ago, MyDogLuvsPB said:

I don't know what financial incentives we have to keep/release Hughes in the offseason, but I hope we re-sign Phillips and try to get a premiere pass rusher in free agency.  I don't think Shaq deserves a huge contract from us.  I don't think Murphy returns either.

12 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I think he very possibly could be one of the individuals replaced in the offseason.  Could probably replace his production for a lot less

Hughes would cost more to cut than to simply keep on the roster next year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

He has a cap hit of $9.5M if he is on the roster.

If we cut him, he costs us $10.8M.

He'll be here next year. The year after tho... totally different.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Hughes is being replaced by Shaq on rushing downs, is what I am noticing.  

It works well, too. It gives him a break and allows him to focus on rushing the passer. It's the way alot of the older pass rushers play out the twilight of their careers. 

I'd love to see him stay for the future and put him in on obvious passing situations. He has a pretty good contract and has been paid already. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MyDogLuvsPB said:

I don't know what financial incentives we have to keep/release Hughes in the offseason, but I hope we re-sign Phillips and try to get a premiere pass rusher in free agency.  I don't think Shaq deserves a huge contract from us.  I don't think Murphy returns either.

Shaq has been the most consistent and best DL this year. Phillips has more splash plays but Shaq is productive and doing his job on pretty much every down, whether he gets noticed or not. The same can’t always be said about Phillips.

If the Bills keep only one (and I’m not sure they even keep one) I’d much prefer it to be Shaq.

38 minutes ago, PoBills33 said:

I believe I read on here Hughes contract was front loaded and shouldn't cost that much towards the end of his contract.  If thats true I say we keep him but still pursue edge rushers on the off season.

Pretty evenly distributed. But dead money keeps him on the team next year.

Year   Age Base Salary Signing Roster Option Workout Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash  
2019 Contract details by year 31 $6,800,000 $3,500,000 $1,000,000 $1,500,000 $150,000 $12,950,000 $23,800,000 $14,250,000($14,250,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 32 $6,650,000 $2,100,000 $500,000 - $250,000 $9,500,000 $10,850,000 $7,400,000($21,650,000)  

Potential Out: 2021, 2 yr, $21,650,000; $2,100,000 dead cap

2021 Contract details by year 33 $6,100,000 $2,100,000 $1,000,000 - $250,000 $9,450,000 $2,100,000 $7,350,000($29,000,000)  
2022 Free Agent Year 34 UFA  

Hughes has been an excellent cost effective player for the Bills for 7 years.

He's got at least one more year albeit likely in a more limited role.

As far as the future of the Bills DEs go I think Shaq will want to stay here and they figure out how to make it work.

Trent is let go and they get a decent LDE in FA and draft another (Rounds 2 or 3).

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I see us extending Shaq and Phillip's and saying goodbye to Jerry & Trent. We need younger, faster edge rushers.

The only way that Beane gets rid of Hughes is through a trade.  His dead money means he is staying next year.

Also, I don't think they would get rid of both and Trent is the guy to release after this year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Every week I see him at least one time coming around the tackle with an arm hooked around his neck and he hasn't drawn a holding call in forever.  Keep hustling Jerry.

He was straight up tackled on a move just like that against Pitt. My friends and I were apoplectic.

Jerry had some words for the officials a few times in the past, and they have held a grudge since.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The only way that Beane gets rid of Hughes is through a trade.  His dead money means he is staying next year.

Also, I don't think they would get rid of both and Trent is the guy to release after this year.

Agreed Hughes is worth more to us as a DE than the dead cap hit.

I would like to keep him under contract and bring in another pass rushing Edge player

• Like (+1) 1

Are the Bills suddenly thought to be hurting on defense?  No they are not, except for possibly at the opposite CB position. If anything they are going into the off-season with plenty of money and only a few small holes to fill.  I would love to be in Beane's position, and so would just about every other GM in the league.  (With that said, the thing that's often upspoken, is the utter lack of injuries in 2019....I would not count on that again next year.)