McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Ya and McDermott essentially passing on Watkins and Mahomes to then have to wheel and deal a bunch of picks in order to get up to 7 to take Allen, If Allen doesn't pan out, will be far worse than the Watkins move

He's made it clear why he passed on Mahomes. In getting things started in every area, he simply didn't have enough time to put into evaluation. I'm sorry, but this is totally understandable to me in a year when the next year was widely considered to be the best QB year in recent memory.

And the Watkins trade has panned out in every way so far. We saved a ton of money, got a lot of draft capital for the move up to get a QB and passed on a guy who hasn't even come slightly close to being worth his contract. Half of KC's season is gone and Watkins is on pace for an 820 yard season. Letting him go was flat-out smart.

And if Allen doesn't work out, moving up for him won't have been the wrong move. Choosing Allen will have been the bad move.

4 hours ago, SJDK said:

Star is a mistake with that contract. Benjamin was a mistake as well as pretty much any of the Panthers players we brought in. We are playing money ball now as a lot of teams are. I think we have great coaches but we make some poor decisions with RBs (except Singletary) and receivers. However, with that said we are a good team but we need a piece or two on the offensive line, a piece or two on the defensive line (edge rusher too), Lorenzo’s replacement and an A+ wide receiver. 
Every regime selects players for their team vision. A lot of things look like mistakes when the next guys scheme doesn’t jive with the player. All things considered, I think Rex had the worst selections (all the Jets players, Percy Harvin etc..).

Star has been fine. He doesn't do what the fans want him to do, but that's irrelevant, because he has done what McDermott wants him to do. He may (or may not) have regressed this year but he did his job last year. It's not a mistake that our defense has been very very good since we brought him in, nor that they've done well against the run. (23rd in YPA in 2017 without Star, 9th in YPA in 2018 with him and so far 15th this year even after our worst game against the run in recent memory, in which Star played well, as Joe B. noted).

Benjamin got us to the playoffs with that game in the snow. And with his history, it was a move that had a good chance to work. It didn't, but it was a very reasonable move at the time.

Our RBs have also been fine. And while we could use more from our WRs, when you look at the resources we spent on them, they've all worked out except Zay. Brown and Beasley have been worth it and we didn't spend many resources on anybody else. That may well change next year but so far most of their WRs have been worth what we paid for them or more.

Agreed with the rest. Scheme fit is an underconsidered part of whether guys work out somewhere.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

eh?  I'm not the one who has to make stuff up to feel good about a sports team...

Well, that’s what your doing here.  Making stuff up.  Mythical fans who agree with you.

Bills and McD aren’t perfect.  Need to step up on offense, need to recover from that lousy performance last week.  But for chicken littles like you, the sky is not falling.

i think you’re one of those who want the team to do bad so you can crow on a website about how smart you are.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, that’s what your doing here.  Making stuff up.  Mythical fans who agree with you.

Bills and McD aren’t perfect.  Need to step up on offense, need to recover from that lousy performance last week.  But for chicken littles like you, the sky is not falling.

i think you’re one of those who want the team to do bad so you can crow on a website about how smart you are.

Not at all, I'd like the Bills to actually be good some day. They are not there yet, and I don't think they are getting there with McDermott or Allen.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Exactly, all Whaley's bad trades came from the draft (trading up for EJ Manuel or/and Sammy Watkins, come to mind)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Exactly, all Whaley's bad trades came from the draft (trading up for EJ Manuel or/and Sammy Watkins, come to mind)

How was Manuel a bad trade?   The pick was bad, the trade was great.

1 minute ago, GG said:

if the player you traded up for in the first round doesn't have first round talent I don't see it as a great or even good trade.

McDermott traded the QB who won the NFL MVP his first year as a starter, let the best CB in the league walk to a hated rival in FA and canceled out a comp pick for him by signing a special teamer, a fullback and a backup DE.  I really don't need him lecturing me about past irresponsible decision making.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Playoffs in year 1 and likely again in year 3

IMO, this comment displays some emotion after a tough loss, but it also conveys some sound reasoning.

I'm gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt right now.

I mean when you put it like that...I legit had to stop and stroke my chin and go "Hmmmm. Huh. Hmmmmm". If he makes playoffs two out of three years, with the NON year being the hump year when he switches to HIS QB....that's pretty amazing considering the desert the Bills have walked through.

31 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I mean when you put it like that...I legit had to stop and stroke my chin and go "Hmmmm. Huh. Hmmmmm". If he makes playoffs two out of three years, with the NON year being the hump year when he switches to HIS QB....that's pretty amazing considering the desert the Bills have walked through.

Unless they win 12-13 games this season the ‘two playoff appearances in three years’ stat would just be a result of McDermott being much luckier than the last six head coaches who preceded him.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Unless they win 12-13 games this season the ‘two playoff appearances in three years’ stat would just be a result of McDermott being much luckier than the last six head coaches who preceded him.

200.webp

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

you mean like when Beasley picked the bills over the pats this offseason?

because that happened. 

$ Talks SO Beasley took the most money

14 hours ago, Mark92 said:

They tell us all the time that they want to build this thing through the draft.  The only outlier is if they see value in adding talent.  Adding AJ Green would obviously help the offense but not worth giving up premium picks.  Would you rather have AJ Green for 2 years or a legit CB to play opposite White?  Or how about a DT who can run block?  Or a DE that can get sacks?  Or a 21 year old 1st round receiver?  This team still has holes and you can't give up multiple premium picks to fill one hole.  

And yet they were going to this offseason for Antonio Brown and where in the talks with OBJ so do we ignore that part of the "Process"

14 hours ago, vincec said:

a) I think he's right.

b) Even if he's wrong, what do you expect him to say? "There were players available that could help us but we decided not to spend the money."?

How about there wasn't the proper Value.  Or teams were asking too much and we were not going to do that.

See Leave the Finger Pointing out of your answer.  But then their "Process" is NOT defined or to ambiguous and changes weekly hard to just say THAT  

12 hours ago, Nick the Greek said:

These were my thoughts exactly!!

When I read McD's comment, I didnt think he was referencing specific trades. He was talking about dumb stuff the team would do in general in the past. 

Its like how we brought in T.O. All it was was a ploy to sell seats, nothing more. He wasnt gonna carry us to the playoffs. The team was still bad when he was here. 

Those days are over. Lets actually build a good team. 

Ok at what point in your job do you stop comparing yourself to previous people that held your seat and just start Standing up on your own feet without comparing to the previous people?

11 hours ago, QCity said:

JW's right. 

This team was never going to contend for a title this year, sorry if it just dawned on you last Sunday.

So at what point does your Current Coach just start talking about what he has done.  Instead of using the past to prop himself up?   3 years, 4 years, 8 years?

10 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

This was a man thing to say.  Loved that he is happy with the squad and is willing to say they have a plan. 

and then Hedge it by throwing the old regimes under the Buss.  Th Man thing to say is WE CAN WIN WITH THIS TEAM hence look at our record.  And leave it at that.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

Well ya. But then point remains a the whole narrative that we can’t get FA to pick buffalo is false. Money talks. And money teamed with wins talk more.... that’s what we’ll have this year 

Then why dos McClappy have the inferiority complex to publicly call out bad regimes to prop himself and his choices up instead of you know defending his choices.

The Right answer is we Looked to add, but however were not going to break our process and overspend on players that we do not view as a significant upgrade, our record shows that we can and are winning with this team and we will continue to win with this team.  

Instead h has to throw jabs at previous regimes to prop up his beliefs and defend his thinking

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Then why dos McClappy have the inferiority complex to publicly call out bad regimes to prop himself and his choices up instead of you know defending his choices.

The Right answer is we Looked to add, but however were not going to break our process and overspend on players that we do not view as a significant upgrade, our record shows that we can and are winning with this team and we will continue to win with this team.  

Instead h has to throw jabs at previous regimes to prop up his beliefs and defend his thinking

You and a handful of others care waaayyyy too much about it. 

I read what he said and didn’t give it a 2nd thought. I really don’t care. 

45 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I don't think it would JUST be a result of that. I'd say it'd be a part of it. But I think he's also a better coach than we've had in a long time, and that would also be part of it.

2 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

And still sharing the division with a SB-caliber team those three years. That's quite a road block.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Sammy Watkins was a draft day trade.  Kind of a different animal.

oh so because it was a draft day trade it wasn't irresponsible.

2 hours ago, GG said:

The compensation we got for that pick wasnt great.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

oh so because it was a draft day trade it wasn't irresponsible.

It WAS irresponsible...no arguing that.  Just that the subject centered more on trades and the trade deadline during the season, not the draft which is it's own area.

7 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Ya and McDermott essentially passing on Watkins and Mahomes to then have to wheel and deal a bunch of picks in order to get up to 7 to take Allen, If Allen doesn't pan out, will be far worse than the Watkins move

Not even close.  

BTW, you are building great creditability with calling Watson Watkins twice, you seem real knowledgable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

He didn't say anything.  If he had balls, he'd have either said, "this team was set behind years by the previous GM and HC," or said, "Brandon Beane and I have already made bad decisions and we're trying to avoid making more," or both.

But he said neither.

His wording is cryptic and weak, if you ask me.

OR, he said BOTH!

"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way." -- Sean McDermott

8 minutes ago, cd1 said:

OR, he said BOTH!

8 minutes ago, cd1 said:

"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way." -- Sean McDermott

"Too many years."

Is that 3?  Which would implicate the current regime.

Or is it more than 3?  Which could be anyone prior to the current regime.

Is he talking about horrible decisions by Ralph Wilson?  Russ Brandon?  Doug Whaley?  Or is he talking about the Pegulas hiring Rex Ryan?

He said NOTHING.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

"Too many years."

Is that 3?  Which would implicate the current regime.

Or is it more than 3?  Which could be anyone prior to the current regime.

Is he talking about horrible decisions by Ralph Wilson?  Russ Brandon?  Doug Whaley?  Or is he talking about the Pegulas hiring Rex Ryan?

He said NOTHING.

Perhaps ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Some people are capable of saying much with very few words.

Some people are incapable understanding many words.

Gungy the contrarian.

Edited by cd1

11 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Perhaps ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Some people are capable of saying much with very few words.

Some people are incapable understanding many words.

Gungy the contrarian.

I'm not being contrarian.

My point is that when someone, in this case Sean McDermott, says something like he did ... it can be interpreted in many different ways.  That = saying nothing.

If he didn't want to say anything, then he shouldn't have said anything.  Throwing something out there that could be taken a billion different ways was kind of dumb.

"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way," is too vague.  It's also a pretty hefty accusation if he's calling others out instead of taking responsibility for any irresponsible decision-making done by him/Beane. 

That's why it's weak.

• Like (+1) 1

McD was right, of course.  Whaley did some good things but many more bad things. The Marcel Dareus situation was a disaster almost the entire time.  The contract he got screwed up the Bills' cap situation. 

Watkins has been hurt a lot, but I don't blame Whaley for that.  I blame Whaley for paying so much for a WR when we didn't have the QB to go with him.

The biggest problem is that all the early to mid-round picks who should be the starters or experienced depth players, were not good enough, or couldn't be retained because the cap was screwed up (for example Robert Woods, whom I'd love to have back now -- we wasted a second on Zay Jones who wasn't as good, instead of resigning Woods, but we couldn't afford him).  This is the main reason the Bills aren't a player or two away from being ready for the SB.  The Bills depth is getting better but is still not adequate.  Look what happened to the D when Milano got hurt.  Look what happened to the run defense when Harrison Williams got hurt.  Beane did a good job bringing in better players for the O line, but they're better than some bad players, not really great.  (I do like Morse and Feliciano.) 

Beane is trying to build a dynasty.  We're at least a year away.  Next year's schedule has us playing the AFC West and NFC West, so there will be many long flights, and the Bills have seldom looked good playing on the West Coast.  The year after that, 2021, things get sane.  Allen should be near his ceiling at that point and there will be 25 players on the team who aren't here now.  Beane seems to have a good plan in mind and is working patiently to get there.

4 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Not even close.  

BTW, you are building great creditability with calling Watson Watkins twice, you seem real knowledgable. 

Oops haha it was just once, and it was like 2am over here sorry

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's made it clear why he passed on Mahomes. In getting things started in every area, he simply didn't have enough time to put into evaluation. I'm sorry, but this is totally understandable to me in a year when the next year was widely considered to be the best QB year in recent memory.

And the Watkins trade has panned out in every way so far. We saved a ton of money, got a lot of draft capital for the move up to get a QB and passed on a guy who hasn't even come slightly close to being worth his contract. Half of KC's season is gone and Watkins is on pace for an 820 yard season. Letting him go was flat-out smart.

And if Allen doesn't work out, moving up for him won't have been the wrong move. Choosing Allen will have been the bad move.

Not talking about trading Watkins, I'm talking about trading up for watkins.  We could have taken Mack, we could have sat where we were and taken Mike Evans

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Star has been fine. He doesn't do what the fans want him to do, but that's irrelevant, because he has done what McDermott wants him to do. He may (or may not) have regressed this year but he did his job last year. It's not a mistake that our defense has been very very good since we brought him in, nor that they've done well against the run. (23rd in YPA in 2017 without Star, 9th in YPA in 2018 with him and so far 15th this year even after our worst game against the run in recent memory, in which Star played well, as Joe B. noted).

Benjamin got us to the playoffs with that game in the snow. And with his history, it was a move that had a good chance to work. It didn't, but it was a very reasonable move at the time.

Our RBs have also been fine. And while we could use more from our WRs, when you look at the resources we spent on them, they've all worked out except Zay. Brown and Beasley have been worth it and we didn't spend many resources on anybody else. That may well change next year but so far most of their WRs have been worth what we paid for them or more.

Agreed with the rest. Scheme fit is an underconsidered part of whether guys work out somewhere.

I just expect more from Star with his salary, Benjamin wasn’t worth the price either. Brown and Beasley are both good but they are 2nd and 3rd WR’s we need a big strong fast A+ receiver as a #1. We’ve hit on two receivers since we’ve had McBean but we need a great #1.