Josh Allen - week EIGHT report card

rayray808

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not saying what should have happened, I’m saying what did happen.   The ball got destroyed on the wind during that play.   Nothing could have been done about it.  The winds gust when they want to 

Brown admitted he ran the wrong route 

That was way, way short. He was so off -- again -- that frankly I'm tired of the excuses for his staggeringly poor performance in that part of his game.  If the Bills are going to be a dangerous offensive team, defenses can't go in knowing they can let receivers get deep because the opposing QB can't hit any of the throws. I think you're starting to see this, actually - on just about all of the deep shots lately, guys have been very open. I mean, why take the threat seriously given the lack of accuracy? 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, MDH said:

So when most fans want to toss out garbage time stats because they inflate QB stats Bills’ fans use garbage time as an excuse as to why the QB had crap numbers? ??

There’s a trend on this board that it’s never Allen’s fault. It’s Zay’s fault, it’s Daboll’s fault and now, apparently, it’s garbage time’s fault.

I don’t get why fans can’t judge QB play on the Bills honestly. They’ve been making excuses for bad QB play for 20+ years.

Saying Allen has a bad game doesn’t mean he can’t, or won’t, develop into a good QB. It’s okay to just admit it.

I would say Allen had a bad fumble and then had a terrible finish to the game but no add'l turnovers.  But that is also a bit uncharacteristic of him as he usually plays very well in the 4th. This game was not an indicator, it was an aberration imo.  The Bills passing offense isn't good enough to rely on just throwing the ball.  The Niners, Saints, Seahawks, and most other teams that won yesterday did so with a decent rushing attack as well.  Once the safeties start playing back because they don't have to worry about the run, and the linebackers aren't needing to blitz, your throwing out to 3 guys against 6-7 defenders. 

So the other thing I want to note is there seemed to be several offensive plays where players were not running the correct route or executing the play.  Bills offense is not in mid-season form. 

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

So when most fans want to toss out garbage time stats because they inflate QB stats Bills’ fans use garbage time as an excuse as to why the QB had crap numbers? ??

There’s a trend on this board that it’s never Allen’s fault. It’s Zay’s fault, it’s Daboll’s fault and now, apparently, it’s garbage time’s fault.

I don’t get why fans can’t judge QB play on the Bills honestly. They’ve been making excuses for bad QB play for 20+ years.

Saying Allen has a bad game doesn’t mean he can’t, or won’t, develop into a good QB. It’s okay to just admit it.

That's NOT what I'm saying.  What I'm intrigued about is why didn't we get garbage yards/TD.  My belief is it indicates that we have a long way to go in providing this offense with explosive play makers.  

The garbage time comment was also aimed at all those who think that hitting 300 yards passing is a huge deal.  It's probably the most overrated stat in football because it's so often attained as  a result of garbage time production.    Andy Dalton has multiple 300+ yard games and even has a 400 yard game this year!  And the Bengals are 0 - 8.

And I don't think Allen played badly yesterday.  I think he was average which is why I graded him as a C+. 

Over the last few years the Bills did to the offense what Miami has done to their team.  It's been a 100% tank job.  And while doing this we've inserted a raw, project QB! 

The next step is to build an O-line and insert explosive skill players into the offense.  That job has just begun and is far from complete.  In the meantime they've determined that Allen can learn & grow in a trial by fire situation and that he has the mental & physical toughness to survive such a process.  If all goes according to plan the next few seasons will see this all come together.

What you see as excuses is simply trying to factor in some context when looking at Allen's performances. 

1 minute ago, dakrider said:

I would say Allen had a bad fumble and then had a terrible finish to the game but no add'l turnovers.  But that is also a bit uncharacteristic of him as he usually plays very well in the 4th. This game was not an indicator, it was an aberration imo.  The Bills passing offense isn't good enough to rely on just throwing the ball.  The Niners, Saints, Seahawks, and most other teams that won yesterday did so with a decent rushing attack as well.  Once the safeties start playing back because they don't have to worry about the run, and the linebackers aren't needing to blitz, your throwing out to 3 guys against 6-7 defenders. 

So the other thing I want to note is there seemed to be several offensive plays where players were not running the correct route or executing the play.  Bills offense is not in mid-season form. 

Take a look at the difference in skill players, particularly at TE & RB, is all you need to do here.  The Niners running game is POTENT ours is less so.

19 minutes ago, MDH said:

Agreed.  People locally can't seem to judge this QB's performances honestly.  He's a great guy, seems to have a high QB IQ level.  We all want him to do well.

As for garbage time... it's just woeful that they couldn't string together some short passes and dump off's to move down the field late.  The Eagles were just giving Buffalo the middle of the field....and they couldn't take it.  Every NFL game has that aspect.  One poster told me it's Daboll's fault because we don't have a good screen game.  please. lol.  

36 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That's not really true.  The score was 24-13 and the Bills had a great chance to make it 24-20 with THREE straight possessions that literally went nowhere.  one of which was in excellent field position.  The Eagles got that final nail-in-the-coffin TD after the O failed miserably when the team needed them to step up.   I'd give Allen a solid D grade yesterday. 

This is a complete misrepresentation of what actually happened yesterday and that's why it's hard to take the Allen critics seriously. 

I agree that the biggest let down by Allen & the offense was the failure to score after the fumble recovery.  They own that.  But when we went 3 & out and punted the eagles to their 16 yard line at the start of the 4th quarter it was on the defense NOT the offense to put us into position to win this game.  At that point the Eagles were going into the wind and had the D forced a 3 & out we likely have the ball inside the 50 yard line with 13 minutes left.  Can you say comeback?

We'll never know though becasue our D allowed the Eagles to go on an 84 yard, 8:30 drive INTO the wind for the game clinching TD.  So if you're going to engage in "coulda, woulda, shoulda" then at least be accurate about what was happening. 

What is Interesting is this Offense has gone very safe in the two weeks post bye.  Hmmm could it be Ultra Conservative HC has something to do with that.  Yay Josh hasnt thrown any picks last two weeks but the Offense also has looked very conservative and blah the last two weeks.  Hmmm is Allen being coached into becoming Tyrod?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Agreed.  People locally can't seem to judge this QB's performances honestly.  He's a great guy, seems to have a high QB IQ level.  We all want him to do well.

As for garbage time... it's just woeful that they couldn't string together some short passes and dump off's to move down the field late.  The Eagles were just giving Buffalo the middle of the field....and they couldn't take it.  Every NFL game has that aspect.  One poster told me it's Daboll's fault because we don't have a good screen game.  please. lol.  

The reason we don't have an effective screen game lies with the O-line and RB's.  They clearly can't execute it very well and Daboll knows this.  On the rare times they try to run it Allen has to throw the ball at the RB's feet because half the D is around the screen guy. 

38 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He also badly missed a wide open Foster on a deep ball that would have put them up 14-3 in the second. 

That was entirely on Foster. He sped up instead of adjusting to the ball. This is a problem he's had going back to last year. A decent WR catches that uncontested. Especially in wind conditions like that you have to track the ball better.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

What is Interesting is this Offense has gone very safe in the two weeks post bye.  Hmmm could it be Ultra Conservative HC has something to do with that.  Yay Josh hasnt thrown any picks last two weeks but the Offense also has looked very conservative and blah the last two weeks.  Hmmm is Allen being coached into becoming Tyrod?

Man I hope not.  But I'm thinking that they don't want him lit up knowing that they're far from having a decent offensive unit. 

Allen's been thrown into the fire with the expectation that he'll grow into a better QB as a result.  I think the brain trust has determined that he has the mental & physical toughness to survive the ordeal.  But what they don't want to happen is what might be happening to Darnold.  That is to take a lot of hits/sacks and throwing multiple INT's every game.  Darnold has thrown 7 INT's the last two games.  That could shake anyone's confidence. 

So they play if safe this year knowing that in some games that will mean a loss.  But by doing this they develop Allen and they might sneak into the playoffs as a wild card.  Next year after a big off season and draft the Bills enter 2020 with a much more robust Offense.

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

Man I hope not.  But I'm thinking that they don't want him lit up knowing that they're far from having a decent offensive unit. 

Allen's been thrown into the fire with the expectation that he'll grow into a better QB as a result.  I think the brain trust has determined that he has the mental & physical toughness to survive the ordeal.  But what they don't want to happen is what might be happening to Darnold.  That is to take a lot of hits/sacks and throwing multiple INT's every game.  Darnold has thrown 7 INT's the last two games.  That could shake anyone's confidence. 

So they play if safe this year knowing that in some games that will mean a loss.  But by doing this they develop Allen and they might sneak into the playoffs as a wild card.  Next year after a big off season and draft the Bills enter 2020 with a much more robust Offense.

How they getting that Robust offense.  I have a feeling the Assets will be spent on the Defense Again

To me, these games are just stages in the team's and Allen's development. Other teams come up with effective challenges, and the Bills or Allen have to learn to adapt. Allen (and the team) have been progressing just fine to me, this is just a tough "learning period".

They are 5-2.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

How many 200 yard, 2 TD games do we get to watch before we see our franchise QB throw a 300 yard, 3 TD game?!?   When can we have an offense that can bail out the defense?  You see a guy come off the couch in Atlanta and throw 450... you see Bridgewater who hadn't played in a couple years throw for 350 and 4 TD's..  you have Daniel Jones tossing multiple 300 yd games already.. Minshew, etc..

Not saying Josh should have thrown for 300 and 3 TDs  in those weather conditions yesterday, but c'mon.  Stop with the excuses.  Time to grow up.  After the Singletary TD, there was ample opportunity to get chunk passing yards on screen plays and they still couldn't do it.  

I don't care as much about the designed run fumble yesterday,  I care more that when Allen stands in the pocket and scans the field, a lot of bad things happen.  That's very concerning.

I want to theorize that part of that is coaching.  When you see guys coming off the couch throwing 300+ yard games, it's usually because the coaches make it easy on the QB. Especially when they only have a small amount of time to get ready. Now, it's just a theory mind you as I have no idea but... we got John Brown saying to the media that this is the most complex offense he has been in.  If its that complex for a receiver then it is even more complex for a QB.  Josh was drafted practically a project.  I don't feel like the coaching is doing him many favors here.

Again, I could be wrong about all this but I feel like coaches could make it easier on Josh.  I feel like Dabol is making Josh run the system he wants to run rather than forming a system around what Josh is currently capable of.  A lot of young QBs have been having good success in the NFL and I almost always read an article about how the coaches tailored their offense to make it easy on them and also based on their strengths.  I don't think that's what happened here in Buffalo.

Edited by Scott7975

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

yes, it was late and forced him to slow down, allowing Darby to recover. 

And that one was on Brown, as he admitted after the game. The route needed to be flatter. He ran into tight coverage. It was a miscommunication, not bad timing.

If it sounds like I'm making excuses for Allen I'm really not. At this point in his career he is not a QB that can thrive without a really good supporting cast. He needs the people around him to make plays when they're there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

How they getting that Robust offense.  I have a feeling the Assets will be spent on the Defense Again

I sure hope not. 

Next year the #1 draft pick should be a WR as that position is loaded. 

In the off season the Bills have the funds to spend heavily on an offensive Tackle & DE.  We should be able to get a decent RB & LB without breaking the bank.

I think we can expect further development of Knox & Singleterry into much better offensive weapons.  The KEY will be that Ford develops into a starting caliber guard.  Given where we drafted him and the skill players we passed on to get him this is a huge thing that must go right for the franchise.

He is progressing, we will keep improving.

We all want to see Mahomes or Watson like play from him. But we are not there yet and we do not have the same OC´s as those two QBs.

I´m happy we have him, and I will take the growing pains. Yesterday was on everybody, specially coaching.

56 minutes ago, MDH said:

Ah the strawman argument. I feel no need to defend my comments from your attack. BTW, I gave him a C, what's your grade D or F? From your tone, never mind, I don't care I know.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

46 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Alot of people on this board aren't seeing this.  It's another denial thing where Josh is fine

31 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Agreed.  People locally can't seem to judge this QB's performances honestly. 

Let me just take this opportunity to thank you for being the guiding light for the vast majority of us who (1) either have no ability whatsoever to honestly and objectively analyze QB play or (2) are such "homers" that we are blind to anything that Allen does not do well.

Thank goodness we have such gifted football intellects, like yours, on this board to save the rest of us from our own ignorance.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I want to theorize that part of that is coaching.  When you see guys coming off the couch throwing 300+ yard games, it's usually because the coaches make it easy on the QB. Especially when they only have a small amount of time to get ready. Now, it's just a theory mind you as I have no idea but... we got John Brown saying to the media that this is the most complex offense he has been in.  If its that complex for a receiver then it is even more complex for a QB.  Josh was drafted practically a project.  I don't feel like the coaching is doing him many favors here.

Again, I could be wrong about all this but I feel like coaches could make it easier on Josh.  I feel like Dabol is making Josh run the system he wants to run rather than forming a system around what Josh is currently capable of.  A lot of young QBs have been having good success in the NFL and I almost always read an article about how the coaches tailored their offense to make it easy on them and also based on their strengths.  I don't think that's what happened here in Buffalo.

I'll buy part of that.  The system sounds complex and they definitely are trying to make Josh more of a stand-in-the-pocket guy.   We can hope he's that kind pf passer someday but for now he's more Lamar Jackson than a Matt Ryan.  They should let Josh be Josh and not some robotic, conservative, pocket passer who has 2.3 seconds to recognize coverages, break down defenses...and throw an accurate pass on top of it.  

21 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

If I had a nickel for every "Josh is still developing...." comment ?

We know he is. Can he put together a complete game along the way? 

I don’t think anyone views Allen as a completed project at his point. We all knew he would need time to develop. Where we all differ is the kind of QB we think he’s going to develop into. Saying he’s still developing is pointless. To me, it’s like using it as a crutch to excuse poor production with the hope he will blossom into an amazing QB. That may never happen. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing Allen's play yesterday--he did not play well.

I also don't think that you're going to see a "put the team on his back" style performance from him this season. He's hit the point where DCs have a season's worth of tape on him, which is typically where we see the growing pains occur.

Absent a Rams/Chiefs style supporting cast, I don't expect huge offensive output. I think that we should expect a bumpy ride where progress is neither linear nor predictable, but evident nevertheless.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The reason we don't have an effective screen game lies with the O-line and RB's.  They clearly can't execute it very well and Daboll knows this.  On the rare times they try to run it Allen has to throw the ball at the RB's feet because half the D is around the screen guy. 

Interesting, because I could not track it from the broadcast, but there was an attempted screen in the second half where the announcers mentioned one of the Bills seemed to be completely on the wrong page and took off up field - and the Eagles D seemed to be all over it. Allen threw it at his linemen's feet and I thought that was a silver lining I could take from what looked like one of several broken plays.

I don't think Allen played great, but I don't think he played terrible either. I just wish Daboll leaned a bit more on his running game with the field conditions they way they were. Seemed to be the wiser route that the Eagles took. Feels like we conceded victory to their defense stopping the run without really testing it - like passing is what you are supposed to do against a strong run defense when the wind is at your back, but if the winds are blowing and it is raining you have to shift strategy. Feels like Daboll has preconceived notions of what is supposed to be working rather than what is actually working on the field at the time.

Enough has been said about our defense, the way the d-line was getting moved off of their spots, which had a trickle-down with guys not being in the right fits - then there were just missed tackles or tackles made after bigger gains.

Was not a good game all around, from the game plan, to game-day coaching, to player execution - sometimes you just get beat from top to bottom. Even our special teams were struggling a bit with Hausch-money pushing it to the right when all the flags were showing a stiff left-to-right wind, the blocked extra point. We did get some turnovers, which is a positive, but we have to be able to do more with them.

On to Washington...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

Interesting, because I could not track it from the broadcast, but there was an attempted screen in the second half where the announcers mentioned one of the Bills seemed to be completely on the wrong page and took off up field - and the Eagles D seemed to be all over it. Allen threw it at his linemen's feet and I thought that was a silver lining I could take from what looked like one of several broken plays.

I don't think Allen played great, but I don't think he played terrible either. I just wish Daboll leaned a bit more on his running game with the field conditions they way they were. Seemed to be the wiser route that the Eagles took. Feels like we conceded victory to their defense stopping the run without really testing it - like passing is what you are supposed to do against a strong run defense when the wind is at your back, but if the winds are blowing and it is raining you have to shift strategy. Feels like Daboll has preconceived notions of what is supposed to be working rather than what is actually working on the field at the time.

I don't think we have a running game that Daboll can rely on.  And before folks rip me and point out we've been running the ball well I believe it's because NO ONE fears the running game beyond Allen getting lose for a 25 yard run.  So yea we can get some garbage rushing yards in the middle of the field but when it gets to 3rd and short or down near the goal line they fear Allen, NOT Gore or Singleterry or Yeldon.

When teams approach the Bills they know that the WORST CASE scenario is that if there's a huge hole for Gore it's a 10 - 15 yard gain and they live to fight another down.  Singleterry hasn't showed that he can break off a run for 50 yards and Yeldon wouldn't even make most teams backfields.  I watch other NFL games and see RB's ripping through holes for 30 yard or more gains. 

Our opponents focus on harassing Allen with blitzes and trying to take Beasley & Brown away.  They don't worry about our:

*  Running game

*  TE's

*  Screen Passes

Edited by CincyBillsFan

21 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I don't think we have a running game that Daboll can rely on.  And before folks rip me and point out we've been running the ball well I believe it's because NO ONE fears the running game beyond Allen getting lose for a 25 yard run.  So yea we can get some garbage rushing yards in the middle of the field but when it gets to 3rd and short or down near the goal line they fear Allen, NOT Gore or Singleterry or Yeldon.

When teams approach the Bills they know that the WORST CASE scenario is that if there's a huge hole for Gore it's a 10 - 15 yard gain and they live to fight another down.  Singleterry hasn't showed that he can break off a run for 50 yards and Yeldon wouldn't even make most teams backfields.  I watch other NFL games and see RB's ripping through holes for 30 yard or more gains. 

Our opponents focus on harassing Allen with blitzes and trying to take Beasley & Brown away.  They don't worry about our:

*  Running game

*  TE's

*  Screen Passes

I doubt they really "worry" about Brown or Beasley, but are just aware that those are the best guys. There isn't a single player that strikes fear in any of the defenses. No one that is a match up nightmare, no game planning around shutting one of these guys down (aside from the QB). Allen taking off and running is the only thing out of the ordinary. They have been doing well enough to win with just a good scheme, and Allen making some plays.

They aren't real contenders yet...Is that a surprise to anyone here?

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I was there and honestly I blame the fumble on the play call we should've thrown the ball on that play, also I give Allen a solid B for the game he had no help from the line and the run game was weak. He threw 2 TDS in the worst of conditions and no picks. He continues to show his growth week in and week out. Trust me the weather was terrible. The only thing I want to see is more singletary than Gore and especially a nice short  passing game developed with singletary. The kid is special and should be what our offense starts with and leans on when times get tough whether it be the pass or run with him. Also Tyler kroft looks like the real deal we need to play him more and throw to him more often. 

The Eagles knew we called that play before the snap

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, zow2 said:

After it was 24-13, the Bills had 3 drives and I don't know the passing numbers off those 3 drives but they were horrible.  I'm sorry, the QB needs to do better.  So many people on this board blame the play calling and the receivers, etc..   Even losers like Matt Schaub can throw for 400+ yards, ,....Daniel Jones has now had multiple 300 yd games.

Josh needs to read the field and recognize overages quickly and get the ball out.  IF he is incapable, then he should take off and scramble because that's his best play..not the designed runs but rather the unscripted scrambles.  

you said it like it is.  Sometimes you need the offense to pick you up.And JA spends 3 qtrs of every damn game meandering from one failed drive to another.Little mistakes mostly...which add up.Then he looks like an all pro for a quarter or so. Thats not enough if we want to be real contenders.We may get lucky this yr and get a wild card.And then lose 41-7 in the playoff game(s) 

10 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I doubt they really "worry" about Brown or Beasley, but are just aware that those are the best guys. There isn't a single player that strikes fear in any of the defenses. No one that is a match up nightmare, no game planning around shutting one of these guys down (aside from the QB). Allen taking off and running is the only thing out of the ordinary. They have been doing well enough to win with just a good scheme, and Allen making some plays.

no not a surprise. some of us guys who are getting older are a bit tired of this never really getting to be a contender stuff.the decades are rolling by.

Edited by Tcali

6 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing Allen's play yesterday--he did not play well.

I also don't think that you're going to see a "put the team on his back" style performance from him this season. He's hit the point where DCs have a season's worth of tape on him, which is typically where we see the growing pains occur.

Absent a Rams/Chiefs style supporting cast, I don't expect huge offensive output. I think that we should expect a bumpy ride where progress is neither linear nor predictable, but evident nevertheless.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I would give him a C. But that's not surprising IMO given his youth and inexperience. So it doesn't mean that he can't improve,. Whether he will or not is right now anybody's guess. I'm optimistic but there are no guarantees. It's just too hard to project a college prospect at that position to the pros. It's pretty much a crap shoot. 

Something that concerns and puzzles me is the inaccuracy so far this year of his long ball. Missing them as badly and as frequently is a recent development. I don't understand what the reason for this might be. His short passing game, which has improved, used to be the problem. His long ball was always previously pretty decent.

20 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

*  Running game

*  TE's

*  Screen Passes

I do not mind running Allen, but prefer they be prescriptive around designed runs limiting those to the red zone. He is effective as a triple threat where he has options to pass, hand-off, or run it himself.

That is a nightmare for defenses to defend especially when we can present some misdirection. This team's proficiency in the red zone is a testament to how difficult that is to defend with the short field. The worse I expect is that Allen has to elect to throw it away, or he gets stopped short, or we turn the ball over and miss out on at least 3 points, but put our defense in a better position.

What I objected to yesterday is calling a QB sweep that looked like a QB sweep fooling no one, in the rain, with a struggling o-line, backed up deep in our own zone. So basically being blind to where we were on the field, the field conditions, and the current play of your offensive line - Feliciano (I think) was having a pretty rough day and I think I read that Morse also tripped on that play.

I agree that we could use some upgrades, but Singletary was getting over 6 yards per and Gore 4.4, but only were given 12 carries. For the conditions yesterday that was far too few. I would have liked to see more involvement from Kroft - he caught a few, but the Eagles have struggled defending the middle of the field so between that and Allen keeping linebackers close to the box Kroft and Beasley should have been able to find holes just past those shallow zones and targeted more than they were.

The Eagles made it a point to try to take away Brown there was a lot of bump and hold going on and the refs seemed to be letting it happen both ways. I prefer it when they let them play and as long as it is being called the same way from both sides its all good - the Bills needed to adjust to having a large part of their offense taken out and lean on others to step up.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen is regressing in my opinion.  If it's not the INT's, it's fumbles.  Defenses do not respect the deep balls so they are putting 8+9 in the box because he either doesn't throw them or misses them inaccurately.  I'm telling you it looks like they are coaching the gunslinger mentality out of him and it sucks.

34 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I was being nice but I suspect you're closer to the truth here.  The way the Eagles player came off Beasley to let him roam FREE at the goal line in fear that Allen was about to take off was all you needed to see as to how teams are playing us.

This is why I have so much trouble trying to rank Allen versus the other young QB's.  While the Bills front office has made great progress in the absolute in upgrading the O-line & skill players the starting point was bottom 3 in the league at every position group.  So "making progress" is relative and still leaves the bills no better then bottom half of the NFL here.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I was being nice but I suspect you're closer to the truth here.  The way the Eagles player came off Beasley to let him roam FREE at the goal line in fear that Allen was about to take off was all you needed to see as to how teams are playing us.

This is why I have so much trouble trying to rank Allen versus the other young QB's.  While the Bills front office has made great progress in the absolute in upgrading the O-line & skill players the starting point was bottom 3 in the league at every position group.  So "making progress" is relative and still leaves the bills no better then bottom half of the NFL here.

Yeah, they need a guy that really draws attention from defenses. Sure, someone will say "The Patriots don't...", but they have Brady and Belichick, two of the all time greats (if not the greatest) at their positions. It's much more reasonable approach to find some elite talent. 

They are still another good draft away. But that doesn't mean they can't make the playoffs, maybe get some big game experience, and keep developing in the meantime.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

Yeah, they need a guy that really draws attention for defenses. Sure, someone will say "The Patriots don't...", but they have Brady and Belichick, two of the all time greats (if not the greatest) at their positions. It's much more reasonable approach to find some elite talent. 

They are still another good draft away. But that doesn't mean they can't make the playoffs, maybe get some big game experience, and keep developing in the meantime.

Actually the Pats do in Edellmen. 

And last year they had Gronk + Edellmen.  Isn't it funny that now that the Pats are down to only one big time play maker on offense other then Brady their offensive production has been pedestrian this year?

Last night we watched a guy who was teaching HS a couple of weeks ago put up all pro passing numbers playing with KC's stable of explosive play makers.  If anything I think we're underestimating how important these guys are for a QB & Offense. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

How many 200 yard, 2 TD games do we get to watch before we see our franchise QB throw a 300 yard, 3 TD game?!?   When can we have an offense that can bail out the defense?  You see a guy come off the couch in Atlanta and throw 450... you see Bridgewater who hadn't played in a couple years throw for 350 and 4 TD's..  you have Daniel Jones tossing multiple 300 yd games already.. Minshew, etc..

Not saying Josh should have thrown for 300 and 3 TDs  in those weather conditions yesterday, but c'mon.  Stop with the excuses.  Time to grow up.  After the Singletary TD, there was ample opportunity to get chunk passing yards on screen plays and they still couldn't do it.  

I don't care as much about the designed run fumble yesterday,  I care more that when Allen stands in the pocket and scans the field, a lot of bad things happen.  That's very concerning.

I’ll take wins over 300 yard games anytime.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, zow2 said:

I agree with this. 

I think it's pretty obvious with regards to Josh.  The coaching staff saw a bit of an out-of-control Ferrari driving around last season and it was risky, so they put the restrictor plates on for 2019.  They coached Josh to stop running around at every breakdown, and hang there in the pocket to scan the field. They will call some designed runs as to not completely shut down the athlete.. but they've told him to stop scrambling so much (which i think he is awesome at doing).

In my opinion, they've gone too far the opposite direction.  There has to be a happy medium.  If JA was a really accurate QB from the pocket maybe it would work.  But he's not, and he's not great yet at recognizing defenses...he's taking too long to make a decision.  The coaches have him so terrified of making a mistake (kinda like Marrone did to EJ Manuel) that he's paralyzed to make a play or try to fit it in a tight window.

Last week the Bills had 7 drives that totaled 21 yards.   It's too hard to be consistent with 10 play scoring drives..  too many negatives can happen out of the QB's control (penalties, drops, turnovers, bad snaps, etc..).

Basically the coaches have asked him to be an 8-10 play drive manager, or it's 3 and out.    Time to cut him loose and let him be Josh Allen, the exciting QB.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:57 AM, zow2 said:

300 yards will never be the plan for this coach and this team.  If it happens it's by accident. We like to control the ball and the ideal game is 150 on the ground and 250 in the air.  32+ min in top.