AAF in serious danger of folding. UPDATE: AAF Suspends ALL Operations!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828148-aaf-allegedly-could-be-discontinued-if-nflpa-doesnt-provide-young-players

Apparently a decision could come in a matter of days on its future.  Without a deal with the NFLPA, it’s apparently in trouble and could be discontinued.  

UPDATE:  http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26423928/aaf-suspends-operations-polian-disappointed

All operations officially suspended!

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

how or why does one pony up $250 mil and we're talking life support two weeks later?. ...Madoff was his advisor??...........

I think it’s probably a remake of Brewster’s Millions adjusted for inflation. That’s all I got....

• Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ah, unions.

Not wanting their membership to be shipped off to expose themselves to increased risk of injury for minimal additional compensation?  The union protecting the wages of the bottom fringes of their membership by preventing 2 way contracts like the NHL has and maintaining things like the practice squad? The AAF pays considerably less than the NFL does. How exactly does having young NFL players help the AAF? They pay everyone exactly the same. The only way it helps is if it's a loan situation where the NFL team send the player and foots most if not all of the bill so the AAF can reduce its wage bill. That actually reduces the number of football jobs available for everyone and, as I said increases the exposure of the most vulnerable members of the NFLPA. You are on a futures contract and your team tells you they want you to go to the AAF. The pay difference is very close to zero if not actually zero. What are you going to do? Say no? It isn't the NFLPA fault that the longterm AAF business model depended upon treating the bottom tier of players more like livestock than they already are.

There is a reason these things are bargained.  You want something, you give up something.  The NFLPA could care less whether or not the AAF lives or dies, there is ZERO benefit to the NFLPA in helping them survive unless the AAF becomes a union shop.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This thread is about to be folded into the other one of the exact same topic.

I didn’t see a thread dedicated to this story.  There is a 33 page AAF thread for general convo, but many of us stopped going to it to talk AAF games we aren’t watching.  This is a specific story to discuss, not the games and all that stuff.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not surprised 

its been destined to fail unfortunately... the NFL is not MLB or NBA... it doesn’t need a developmental feeder league 

and there isn’t enough high end talent to consider it a development league...

its a spring football league 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Failing does not surprise me at all. Failing so soon shocks me! What were they thinking? How did this go so wrong so fast??? 

They rushed the league trying to beat McMahon’s...

they were done before they started ... they rushed it into existence in like 1.5 years ... no due diligence 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn’t see a thread dedicated to this story.  There is a 33 page AAF thread for general convo, but many of us stopped going to it to talk AAF games we aren’t watching.  This is a specific story to discuss, not the games and all that stuff.

Funny, You started it.

• Haha (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They rushed the league trying to beat McMahon’s...

they were done before they started ... they rushed it into existence in like 1.5 years ... no due diligence 

Hmmm, so who’s the fool now? 

..somehow I think the ONLY successful football merger we will see in our lifetime is the NFL-AFL in 1970.......NFL has become a $12+ BILLION dollar cash cow and doesn't need to be bothered with these "frivolities"....how many years have MLB and NHL had extensive minor league developmental systems?......and the NFL has??.....perhaps NCAA was thought to be their "developmental league (free of charge).......but the focus of college ball is butts in the seats, happy happy megabucks boosters and mega million dollar bowl payouts versus getting players "pro ready" for the NFL style game......probably dead wrong and too old, but don't see it changing any time soon.....instead, they'll be focusing on the strong potential for labor strife when CBA expires......

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the problem with football leagues other than the NFL. They put teams in cities where NFL teams don't exist. Imo, the AAF should have teams in Chicago, Dallas, L.A. Etc. Put these teams in major cities. It's a short schedule and I feel like major cities woukd support these teams better than places like Orlando or Salt Lake city. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The stiry you cited was posted a few days ago in that thread.

I’m not surprised. I’ve watch a few Orlando games and the fans have progressively lessened to around TEN yesterday. 

And they’re the best team in the League! Yesterday’s game vs Chicago was actually pretty entertaining, but the final 5 minutes took over a half an hour. I got so bored, I starting counting fans. That took less time than a 30 second Time Out...

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Ah, unions.

K, Scrooge.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m not surprised. I’ve watch a few Orlando games and the fans have progressively lessened to around TEN yesterday. 

And they’re the best team in the League! Yesterday’s game vs Chicago was actually pretty entertaining, but the final 5 minutes took over a half an hour. I got so bored, I starting counting fans. That took less time than a 30 second Time Out...

Chicago?

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Here's the problem with football leagues other than the NFL. They put teams in cities where NFL teams don't exist. Imo, the AAF should have teams in Chicago, Dallas, L.A. Etc. Put these teams in major cities. It's a short schedule and I feel like major cities woukd support these teams better than places like Orlando or Salt Lake city. 

Bad idea playing in NFL cities. What the AAF should do is contract to 6 teams, all in Texas, all teams a bus ride away from each other. The only city to embrace the AAF was San Antonio because Texans love football. Heck even Jerry Jones loves him some AAF.

It's a developmental league. There's no need to spread teams around the country. Same money on travel and eliminate 2 to 4 teams.

I kept saying; no north eastern teams mean no chance but then I kept getting into the same arguments with people missing the point. Telling me the north east doesn’t need minor league teams....The AAF NEEDS the north east. NYC, PHI, BOS, PIT. Without those markets, the league has no shot. It will be right and they won’t make it. Sports leagues need the areas with the most people. And they absolutely need the areas with actual interest in sports.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I kept saying; no north eastern teams mean no chance but then I kept getting into the same arguments with people missing the point. Telling me the north east doesn’t need minor league teams....The AAF NEEDS the north east. NYC, PHI, BOS, PIT. Without those markets, the league has no shot. It will be right and they won’t make it. Sports leagues need the areas with the most people. And they absolutely need the areas with actual interest in sports.

Should have skipped Atlanta in favor of Columbus

32 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I tried watching it the first couple of weeks.

It bored me to tears.

Ya. I watched the first night and besides reading a couple articles on it , I have no desire to continue watching . Myself along with many on here are football junkies too so I figured it was destined to doom sooner than later. Every football fan I talk to on a regular has no interest in the AAF . 

I just think the NFL has nearly turned into an all year sport, with FA and the draft , than before you know it training camp , it's going to be extremely difficult for any league to have even moderate success competing against a giant like the NFL. 

I am intrigued by the XFL. For McMahon to have the stones to start it up again after failing hard the first time makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve that they feel it can be a success this time around

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well of course the chances of being successful are slim 

but he didn’t put out a rushed product 

It's a money grab by the NFLPA, nothing more, nothing less.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..somehow I think the ONLY successful football merger we will see in our lifetime is the NFL-AFL in 1970.......NFL has become a $12+ BILLION dollar cash cow and doesn't need to be bothered with these "frivolities"....how many years have MLB and NHL had extensive minor league developmental systems?......and the NFL has??.....perhaps NCAA was thought to be their "developmental league (free of charge).......but the focus of college ball is butts in the seats, happy happy megabucks boosters and mega million dollar bowl payouts versus getting players "pro ready" for the NFL style game......probably dead wrong and too old, but don't see it changing any time soon.....instead, they'll be focusing on the strong potential for labor strife when CBA expires......

They had NFL Europe for several years but nothing since...in some ways the CFL already acts as a developmental league in that players who show enough potential there usually come to the NFL.

Realistically how useful is a developmental league for guys who are basically scrubs at the end of the day??

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Ya. I watched the first night and besides reading a couple articles on it , I have no desire to continue watching . Myself along with many on here are football junkies too so I figured it was destined to doom sooner than later. Every football fan I talk to on a regular has no interest in the AAF . 

I just think the NFL has nearly turned into an all year sport, with FA and the draft , than before you know it training camp , it's going to be extremely difficult for any league to have even moderate success competing against a giant like the NFL. 

I am intrigued by the XFL. For McMahon to have the stones to start it up again after failing hard the first time makes me wonder what they have up their sleeve that they feel it can be a success this time around

Yeah, I’ll give McMahon a chance because the guy does know entertainment. May be a spectacle at the very least.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They had NFL Europe for several years but nothing since...in some ways the CFL already acts as a developmental league in that players who show enough potential there usually come to the NFL.

Realistically how useful is a developmental league for guys who are basically scrubs at the end of the day??

....so then why does MLB and NHL have longstanding, vast minor league developmental levels?.....I have to preface by question by realistically comparing length of seasons....162 vs 80 vs 16, SUBSTANTIAL differences.....NFLE seemed to be working although I'm not sure about across the pond.....Gunner Bill is in the UK and can speak to interest first hand.....and then it vanished...

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so then why does MLB and NHL have longstanding, vast minor league developmental levels?.....I have to preface by question by realistically comparing length of seasons....162 vs 80 vs 16, SUBSTANTIAL differences.....NFLE seemed to be working although I'm not sure about across the pond.....Gunner Bill is in the UK and can speak to interest first hand.....and then it vanished...

Because MLB and NHL are incredibly different.  The future stars in the MLB and NHL leagues are generally kids who were drafted straight out of high school.    The NFL has the NCAA to handle 99% of star player development.  The previous poster is dead on that the AAF is basically developing players who are at most, likely to be role players.  Virtually no stars are going to come out of the AAF.