Last April's 'Bills Draft Josh Allen in RD 1' Thread Revisited

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Everybody has their own opinion, and I got that a number of fans were disappointed in the pick. However, what surprised me, was the sheer volume of posters that wanted to completely write this kid off before he ever even stepped foot on an NFL field.

Also interesting how some of the most vocal posters, who were so absolutely certain Allen was going to be a complete bust, disappeared late in the season - rarely to be heard again on this forum, if at all....

Yup, it was crazy.  You and I were some of the few that wasn’t freaking out and was excited for the kid.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember I let out a big Darth Vader style "N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O" as I was driving, listening to the draft on the radio. I had concerns about his accuracy, pocket presence and ability to go through his reads fast enough. Then I watched his Firebaugh video and you see what kind of person he is. And the improvements he made just in a few months after working with Palmer and his Senior bowl performance. The pick started to grow on me. His rookie year had a lot of ups and downs, that was expected from a raw prospect. He made some WOW plays and some wtf plays. That's exactly what his report said. I think his peaks were higher than his valleys were low. I feel like his game is trending upwards. After he came back from injury, he didn't seem as timid and his athleticism and size was displayed. He basically took over some games. Excited to see what he can do with a solid ground game (hopefully). Our running game was putrid last year. Josh Allen basically WAS our running game. 

• Like (+1) 3

I have never hid from the fact I didn't want Josh Allen. While I always thought his ceiling was sky high I thought his floor was rock bottom low. I confess I certainly underestimated his ability to move the chains with his legs which would have raised his floor (because it means he isn't have to force balls with questionable accuracy). That said even if I had better evaluated his legs it would have only bumped him up a round and to my QB5 in last year's draft. 

I feel much better about the pick now than I did then, but he still has a lot to improve on.

And as always.... I care much more about Buffalo winning than I do about being right. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, it was crazy.  You and I were some of the few that wasn’t freaking out and was excited for the kid.  

I absolutely love this kid - his mentality on the field and the way he plays the game.  He lives in that 15 to 25 yard range and, while there are times it would be prudent to take that 7 yard dump off, I love that he’s always looking to make that big throw first  and has the confidence in himself to do it. A fierce competitor, an incredibly hard worker, and gifted with talent. Show much to learn, but what potential! I feel like he will be our franchise QB, but you never know. What I do know is, that for me, he is exactly the kind of QB I want on the team I root for.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That was great.Thanks for posting.

The accuracy argument isn’t really an argument. This kid has all the intangibles, and is a dump off or two from getting to the perceptive promised land of 60%.

JA has a lot of Jim Kelly in him but he has wheels, and he plays in an era  of a premium on passing.

He looks to be a leader and can throw deep. Experience will help him.

Jim Kelly, as a Bill had a career pct passing of 60% In an era of running.

• Like (+1) 1

If I don't have a hot take in that thread it was because I was too furious to post at the time. By the time they traded up for Edmunds, I was OK with it (i.e. well, we got another first round pick anyway). It was less than a week later that I admitted there's a good chance I was very wrong about Allen. And it wasn't just rationalization or rallying around our guy. I liked his interviews, that he had the highest Wonderlic, heard that he was the leader of the QBs at the combine. By training camp, I wanted him to start this year. Now, I'm tentatively giddy. It's not a definite, but he's an exciting player, and his ceiling is remarkable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Reading through the thread, the main thing that strikes me is how QUICKLY most of the members in this thread (and Bills fans at large) did a 180 on Josh Allen.

That thread is just full of heartbreak, people saying "I'm gonna be sick", swearing off Bills fanhood forever, calling for the firing of Beane, etc, etc...

Fast forward a year, and now?

For the most part, Bills fans LOVE Josh Allen! Call it stockholm syndrome, call it wishful thinking, call it a survival tactic...at the end of the day, Allen won people over pretty quickly. The biggest reason, I think, is his heart. I mean, we all saw what he could do PHYSICALLY, sure. Running around Kiko Alonso all day and hurdling over Anthony Barr didn't hurt...but it's the way that he lays it all out there on the field and isn't afraid and does absolutely everything within his power to win that has endeared him to so many, so fast. A credit to Josh, his character, and his play as a rookie.

It is true, but not unprecedented. Same thing happened with Rex.

As far as Josh goes, I did the same 180, but it was just the day before the draft. I was a bit enamored with his 5 mile throws at the combine already, but when somebody dug up his old tweet the day before it told me somebody wanted to kill his draft stock. Which to me said some team is trying to make him fall to them. That's when I said "you know what, lets get this guy"

These days I am downright ecstatic and I am really happy we have him. Obviously he has a ways to go, but you can't help but love his fire, passon, work ethic, and leadership so far in his short time in Buffalo. He seems to really understand the city and realizes the opportu ity before him. I believe he has that "it" factor that is so hard to define, that we haven't seen since I was in gradeschool.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Heavy Kevi said:

It is true, but not unprecedented. Same thing happened with Rex.

As far as Josh goes, I did the same 180, but it was just the day before the draft. I was a bit enamored with his 5 mile throws at the combine already, but when somebody dug up his old tweet the day before it told me somebody wanted to kill his draft stock. Which to me said some team is trying to make him fall to them. That's when I said "you know what, lets get this guy"

These days I am downright ecstatic and I am really happy we have him. Obviously he has a ways to go, but you can't help but love his fire, passon, work ethic, and leadership so far in his short time in Buffalo. He seems to really understand the city and realizes the opportu ity before him. I believe he has that "it" factor that is so hard to define, that we haven't seen since I was in gradeschool.

I didn't want him, wrong Josh. I will say watching the combine though, you obviously fell in love with his arm and I recall having conversations that I wish he was a bit more accurate, because it would be a no brainer; the accuracy thing scared me off. Rosen was a much safer pick, much lower ceiling; my feeling was I would be very fine with an Eli type player in Rosen rather than swinging for the fences and missing; it was just to much of a boom or bust for a franchise that has been terrible for the last 20ish years.

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

This is perfect!

I'm glad you noticed too.

I had a nice chuckle.

6 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

What I learned from this thread is that I have more confidence in Beane and McDermott than I do in the media and the posters on this board. 

That's saying a lot considering our previous front office/coaching staff.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I didn't want him, wrong Josh. I will say watching the combine though, you obviously fell in love with his arm and I recall having conversations that I wish he was a bit more accurate, because it would be a no brainer; the accuracy thing scared me off. Rosen was a much safer pick, much lower ceiling; my feeling was I would be very fine with an Eli type player in Rosen rather than swinging for the fences and missing; it was just to much of a boom or bust for a franchise that has been terrible for the last 20ish years.

I just wanted a guy without physical limitations.

Sure, guys can overcome physical limitations, but it's the exception and not the rule.

You can improve how you approach the game, your footwork, your throwing motion, etc but you can't grow 4 inches or gain the ability to throw it a mile.

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Didn't realise there was an archives section here so I found the thread where we drafted Allen last year. Makes for an interesting read to see the initial reactions again. Any of you guys changed your minds at all now? Stand by your opinion? On the fence?

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/205086-rd1-pick-7-josh-allen-qb-wyoming/

I wanted Rosen and my post was spot on. I really like Allen now, though he has a lot of development to go. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I found the worst take in the thread:

Oh my. That take has iced over so much I needed to get my windshield scraper to see it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m at the same place.  Absolutely hated the pick and he played pretty much the way I thought (highs and lows).  What sucks is I want to blindly get behind him but I’ve been burned a bunch by past Bills qbs.  

But I hope they get a few more weapons and we can know for sure one way or other this year.  

That is a beautiful freaking thread. I’m not calling anyone out because god knows I’ve been wrong about players, but I will ask this question:

has Josh Rosen been fitted for his HOF jacket yet?

Just now, eball said:

That is a beautiful freaking thread. I’m not calling anyone out because god knows I’ve been wrong about players, but I will ask this question:

has Josh Rosen been fitted for his HOF jacket yet?

Have any of them?  Come on. It’s stupid to make claims about any of them at this point, except maybe Baker (who will probably get hurt because the Browns aren’t allowed to be good). 

The ‘next Brady’ comments about Rosen were pretty funny, but the ‘Allen would have been there at 12’ takes were hard to understand.  There’s absolutely no way to know that and the Bills could not have risked missing out on both Joshs.

Just now, KD in CA said:

The ‘next Brady’ comments about Rosen were pretty funny, but the ‘Allen would have been there at 12’ takes were hard to understand.  There’s absolutely no way to know that and the Bills could not have risked missing out on both Joshs.

Brady didn’t even play his rookie year.  

This one is great too. I mean, Fadingpain is usually wrong but just so certain he/she is always right. 

Enjoy a year or 2 of AJ McCarron, unless we somehow acquire another QB.

Allen won't be ready for a while, and when he is, he's going to suck.

We just traded UP to draft white EJ Manuel.

Edited by dubs
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have to admit that I made a complete fool of myself at Duff's in Rochester. My girlfriend and I went together to grab wings and watch the draft. She likes the Bills; I bleed Bills. 

When Allen was picked, I dropped out of my chair, onto the floor of the restaurant, saying "No! No! No!". I then pointed at a Pat's fan at a nearby table and said, "Congrats on another 20 years of AFC East Dominance!" We left before the Edmunds pick. 

I was surprisingly not drunk.

I was more than surprised to be flat out wrong!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dubs said:

This one is great too. I mean, Fadingpain is usually wrong but just so certain he/she is always right. 

Enjoy a year or 2 of AJ McCarron, unless we somehow acquire another QB.

Allen won't be ready for a while, and when he is, he's going to suck.

We just traded UP to draft white EJ Manuel.

EJ did have a higher rookie year qb rating. Just saying.  Making proclamations  of a star or bust after year one is pretty dumb. 

And this is what you do to stop feeling hurt after getting burned by another Bills qb. 

2 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I have to admit that I made a complete fool of myself at Duff's in Rochester. My girlfriend and I went together to grab wings and watch the draft. She likes the Bills; I bleed Bills. 

When Allen was picked, I dropped out of my chair, onto the floor of the restaurant, saying "No! No! No!". I then pointed at a Pat's fan at a nearby table and said, "Congrats on another 20 years of AFC East Dominance!" We left before the Edmunds pick. 

I was surprisingly not drunk.

I was more than surprised to be flat out wrong!

Did you finish your wings?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

EJ did have a higher rookie year qb rating. Just saying.  Making proclamations  of a star or bust after year one is pretty dumb. 

And this is what you do to stop feeling hurt after getting burned by another Bills qb. 

Not exactly sure what you mean on that second part but I agree with the first. That’s the funny part of that whole thread. 

**i totally admit I wasn’t happy with the pick at the time. Wanted Rosen, but wasn’t freaking out either**

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Have any of them?  Come on. It’s stupid to make claims about any of them at this point, except maybe Baker (who will probably get hurt because the Browns aren’t allowed to be good). 

Man, you really have NO sense of humor when it comes to this topic.  Lighten up, Francis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

So many Bills fans wanted Josh Rosen and were begging Beane to move up to the #2 spot and thereby giving up the farm (all the 2018 early picks and 2019 first) for the guy. 

My thoughts! From page ten of that thread.

Love the pick!

The Bills just got a big, tough, blue-collar kid who played at Wyoming (think snow) and he was a winner with a bunch of nobodies around him. 

•  
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was pissed, mainly because I wanted either Darnold or Mayfield and Buffalo couldn’t work out a trade with the Giants to get to 2. I didn’t want Rosen at all. Allen didn’t seem like a fit for Buffalo because I had 0 faith in the coaches’ ability to develop a “raw” prospect, but I was impressed with his Senior Bowl. For those reasons I was pissed on draft night. 

In my opinion Allen may have developed himself more than the coaches. He won me over completely in his first preseason action, playing unlike any QB I’ve ever seen before. Barring any catastrophic injury, I think he’ll go down as one of the all time greats one day. Get the man some receivers and he could lead the #1 offense in football.

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I believe he had a third round grade on Allen...

Good stuff. Thanks for posting RR.

I did. And have never hidden from it. As I say above I missed on his running ability but even taking that into account Id have only had a 2nd on him based on what he had put on film as a passer. 

I will never stop having opinions and mine are always honestly held after putting the work in. Doesn't mean they will always be right. I would be more than happy for Allen to be my biggest miss cos that would be good for Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I was pissed, mainly because I wanted either Darnold or Mayfield and Buffalo couldn’t work out a trade with the Giants to get to 2. I didn’t want Rosen at all. Allen didn’t seem like a fit for Buffalo because I had 0 faith in the coaches’ ability to develop a “raw” prospect, but I was impressed with his Senior Bowl. For those reasons I was pissed on draft night. 

In my opinion Allen may have developed himself more than the coaches. He won me over completely in his first preseason action, playing unlike any QB I’ve ever seen before. Barring any catastrophic injury, I think he’ll go down as one of the all time greats one day. Get the man some receivers and he could lead the #1 offense in football.

My goodness we have very low expectations for quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

At least you are man enough to admit it, unlike alot of people. Good for you!?

LMAO  seriously right i was depressed for a day after till i watched his film etc and saw how talented he is and watched his senior bowl footage and was amazed 

Of Allen and Rosen, I was glad we took Allen. I would have probably felt a little better about Darnold or Mayfield, but I liked Allen a lot, too. I also thought that Lamar Jackson might wind up being the best of the bunch, but it seemed unlikely. I never liked Rosen at all, and was not surprised he was the last one of the bunch taken. 

I still think it was the right move, even though I am not as convinced as everyone seems to be that JA is destined for greatness - all the signs are there, but we've seen this movie before.