Can you think of a TV show that's blown you away from very beginning to very end?

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Loved Monk.  One of my all-time favorite shows that I still watch and re-watch.

But that wasn't really a storyline. 

You could very very easily watch any episode from any season out of order and be none the wiser and very entertained.

Still always seemed fresh.

I read the producers smartly limited any pop culture references in the show so be it it wouldn’t seem dated

53 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I read the producers smartly limited any pop culture references in the show so be it it wouldn’t seem dated

That makes me think of the show that aired along with Monk, Psych.  That one's loaded with pop culture references, but they're all from the 80s, during the youth of Shawn and Gus.  It makes me wonder how a show like that will age 10 or so years from now once that target demographic approaches their 50s and beyond.

10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

That would make sense. And it's brilliant. I seriously will still rewatch those episodes and laugh my butt off... even if they're both comedy AND drama, sort of.

I will agree with those that say "Breaking Bad" was as close to flawless as it gets...even though it isn't my favorite show (That would be, in order, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire,  and Boardwalk Empire, Larry Sanders...Breaking Bad comes in a #6 for me).  BB was so tightly written, there was very little waste, and it was really well thought out.  I know the other shows meandered a bit at times, but I kinda like that.

Another show that deserves mention, is "Rectify".  I honestly only know 2 other people who have watched it..but it was excellent.  

Edited by Buftex

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Man, sounds like I gotta watch Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire and Peaky Blinders.

Aren't the last 2 similar to Sopranos in tone?

You really gotta watch Mad Men. You will thank me later.

Just be ready for a storytelling style that is a bit more subtle, there's no neon sign spelling out why that beloved character just acted the way they did. Mad Man doesn't hold your hand, they assume their audience is intelligent and can put things together. The characters are interesting psychologically. 

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

It's frequently, but not always, one that was excellent but had a very short run:

The Wire

Homicide

My So-called Life

The very short run legal show (one word) with Kelsay Grammar about six years ago

Seinfeld

Freaks and Geeks

The Shield

Brotherhood

On 2/28/2019 at 11:45 PM, Buftex said:

Another show that deserves mention, is "Rectify".  I honestly only know 2 other people who have watched it..but it was excellent.  

Rectify was one good show, with a great cast.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

On 2/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, Buftex said:

I will agree with those that say "Breaking Bad" was as close to flawless as it gets...even though it isn't my favorite show (That would be, in order, The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire,  and Boardwalk Empire, Larry Sanders...Breaking Bad comes in a #6 for me).  BB was so tightly written, there was very little waste, and it was really well thought out.  I know the other shows meandered a bit at times, but I kinda like that.

Loved Rectify. Really well made all around. Didn’t want it to end and I doubted I would like it when I started. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Loved Rectify. Really well made all around. Didn’t want it to end and I doubted I would like it when I started. 

At the risk of sounding really corny, it was a beautiful show.  It went places I never expected.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:59 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If not for that horrific season when they went to Ireland, I would say Sons of Anarchy.  That season was just tuuuuurible! 

agreed .... almost gave up on it during that time, but I'm glad I didn't!  Finished in epically great fashion

Right now binging on Showtime's "Ray Donovan" ... definitely worthy entry

On 2/27/2019 at 4:49 AM, Alaska Darin said:

"The Shield"

I was getting triggered. Took long enough for someone to get to the Shield.

Best series finale of all the greats too... I'm a sucker for good cop/detective shows.

I'll throw "Bosh" out there too. Just knows exactly what kind of show it wants to be and executes the genre perfectly.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:06 PM, KD in CA said:

Beavis and Butthead   -- the boys never jumped the shark.

King of the Hill. Arlen, TX hits so close to home for me too lol. Makes it all the more true of the Hank Hills of the world.

"So are you Chinese or Japanese?"

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

King of the Hill. Arlen, TX hits so close to home for me too lol. Makes it all the more true of the Hank Hills of the world.

Did your father lose his shins in the war and have his feet surgically attached to his knees too?

2 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

nah my neighbor. I'm more of a Bobby.

I've been told I look like Bobby Hill. I also have tried my hand at stand up comedy, and even contracted gout at an age that most people thought was medically impossible. I keep hearing rumors of the show coming back, with the characters aged an appropriate amount of time, which would put Bobby around college age. 

5 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've been told I look like Bobby Hill. I also have tried my hand at stand up comedy, and even contracted gout at an age that most people thought was medically impossible. I keep hearing rumors of the show coming back, with the characters aged an appropriate amount of time, which would put Bobby around college age. 

He's rates as the best cartoon character in television history. Really fleshed out for a cartoon character, developed as a person more than anyone. Everybody loves Bobby. But "that boy ain't right" that's for sure.

Certainly represented the generation of texas kids slowly becoming less friday night lights Hank Hill stereotypes and more like the rest of middle America as half the country started moving into Texas in Bobby's generation and it became less isolated from the culture of sitting around drinking beer all day talking about dumb high school football and being severely confused as to whether the next door Laotian was Chinese or Japanese. Bobby gets it.

Lmao the gout episode..

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

I would say there are 4 shows that are near perfect in execution consistently from beginning to end:

Breaking Bad

Futurama

Mr Show with Bob and David

Oz

Did the re-launch on Comedy Central hold up?  I got distracted from it when the new ones were airing and I never actually went back to watch them all.