2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

On 2/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, BuffAlone said:

Due diligence! According to Beane on WGR this afternoon, he's unsure if there is an "elite" talent O-lineman at #9. And I tend to agree. Jonah has the best resume out of the lot, but his measurements say Guard at the next level. Which is still a need, but having never played that position, I wonder if he falls due to his projection?

Kind of my take...pretty sure if the Bills stay put at 9 they go DL. Too many elite interior defensive players for the McBeane combo to pass up. There are some edge guys too that they might prefer.

The dreams of Hock or other top-end receiving options IMO only have a slim chance of happening and only if they Bills trade down, get extra picks in the 1st, and those top-end offensive skill players slip a bit further in the 1st than expected. That's a lot of if's, and I think its more likely they grab one of the serviceable TE's and WR's later.

What OBD does in free agency will dictate draft O-Line strategy, but there are safer picks for G and RT's in this draft, than LT's and C so I don't see them moving Dawkins, but they will bring in guys to compete/start at both G positions, a veteran FA Center (really hoping Spencer is not already penciled in as the starter), and I suspect they draft one of the many RT maulers available this year.

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

crap was hoping to get him latter. Wish we had 6 picks in the first three rounds ...

18 hours ago, TheBeane said:

I was looking at this list last night.  Seems to me a lot of later round OL.  Might be thinking of passing on the OL in the 1st round and going with a WR/TE or DL.

I'm rooting for a trade down and TJ!!

Dimarco 's days could be over ;)

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

23 reps

Nothing that an NFL strength coach cant cure.

15 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Garrett Bradbury and Chris Lindstrom have blown me away these past two days. Big fans.

Add in McGary and our line is set for a decade

8 hours ago, SWATeam said:

You’re not intrigued by giving big armed Josh Allen a Calvin Johnson type athlete?  I can envision big things.  Worth the risk, IMO

wouldn't mind seeing Hakeem Butler, kid really  fights for balls ,makes tough catches and can fly, probably the closest thing To Calvin Johnson in a long time.

29 minutes ago, eball said:

I'll repeat what I say almost every year -- why aren't skill position players running the 40 in pads and helmets?

At least at pro day where they have that equipment. Would be interesting to see the difference.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

wouldn't mind seeing Hakeem Butler, kid really  fights for balls ,makes tough catches and can fly, probably the closest thing To Calvin Johnson in a long time.

He's a unique talent, for sure.  Love how physical he is.  Really has some nasty in him, loves to mix it up blocking.  I don't think he has the best hands though.

• Like (+1) 1

I am hoping the bills go WR/TE/RB in the first 3 rounds and not take an Olineman or ANY Defense early. We have plenty of money to fix the lines in FA and the defense is pretty much complete Imo. The college game isn’t developing offense linemen properly anyway. We desperately need skill position players and I have no interest in buying any of these second rate FA with tread on the tires. Go out and get the best combination of WR-TE-RB early and give josh young help. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Can’t see Bills taking an OL at #9.  Jonah Williams the only guy I could’ve seen them taking, but he doesn’t have elite physical traits.  If they trust Metcalf’s mental makeup, I think #9 comes down to him or one of the DL’s.   

I am still hoping Ed Oliver is there at 9 and the Bills grab him. Could use a disrupter on the interior. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Can’t see Bills taking an OL at #9.  Jonah Williams the only guy I could’ve seen them taking, but he doesn’t have elite physical traits.  If they trust Metcalf’s mental makeup, I think #9 comes down to him or one of the DL’s.   

Dillard and Taylor really could end up top 10 picks.

This league is starved for OLmen, and both guys really solidified their statuses with their efforts yesterday. Taylor looking silky smooth despite a hamstring problem may, in fact, have vaulted him to OT1 on a lot of boards 

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

No thanks to AJ Brown:

#OleMiss WR A.J. Brown said that the key to he and fellow Rebels WR D.K. Metcalf’s body transformations was all in the diet. Said the hardest food he had to give up was wings. “I’m a big wings guy.”

5 replies0 retweets10 likes

Retweet

Is this what you’re referring to?

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, WideNine said:

That is a very good point...straight line speed is not as important as quickness and agility.

Those shuttle and cone drills probably give you more to base decisions on if the tape has you on the fence...strength and reps factor too.

Still, a 300+ pound man running a sub-5 is still pretty flipp'n amazing to see... unless he just passed the TE on a pull and your a 170lb DB in his way :)

The 10 yard split is why they run the 40 both for o and d line. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Turk71 said:

He is 30 lbs heavier than Hunter was at his combine, he is also a helluva lot stronger. 

I said he compares to Andre Johnson’s measurements.

He’s nothing like him as a receiver. He’s closer to Hunter.

50 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Dillard and Taylor really could end up top 10 picks.

This league is starved for OLmen, and both guys really solidified their statuses with their efforts yesterday. Taylor looking silky smooth despite a hamstring problem may, in fact, have vaulted him to OT1 on a lot of boards 

Not surprised we’re on the same page here.  I won’t be able to watch any of this live, only reports later on, so I caught a few of the agility test reps for Taylor and was truly impressed with his mobility and agility. Doing it while not at 100% is even more impressive. And I know the various team personnel love the idea that he wants to be out there competing with an injury. 

Havent seen Dillard,  it will take your word that he’s impressive. 

I haven’t been impressed with Jonah Williams very much going back to Alabama’s season opener. He’s decent but not dominating. I think he will be better inside.

I love Risner’s fire and versatility. But again, I think he’s best suited to an interior role. He worked out at center at the Senior Bowl so I think pro personnel folks maybe think the same way.

26 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to take a guy top 10 especially a TE who’s not a physical freak like Gronk.  

Big Hock fan but was hoping for at least 4.6s. Kittle was a 4.52 guy and Kelce was low 4.6s. Ertz was 4.76 but it would like to be a little more dynamic if top ten. I’d like to see the other quickness drills to see if he measures up in those areas. 

Edited by racketmaster

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Hard to take a guy top 10 especially a TE who’s not a physical freak like Gronk.  

Gronk ran a 4.68 40... just a .02 faster than 4.7.

We all have the tendency to glorify the combine measurables a bit too much on guys that have had success in the league - for reference NFL.com still has this to say in their archive regarding Gronk's combine.

"Does not have a great top-end speed and may not be able to stretch the field at the next level. Lacks the elusiveness to make people miss after catch."

Yeah - that guy is going to suck. :)

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I am hoping the bills go WR/TE/RB in the first 3 rounds and not take an Olineman or ANY Defense early. We have plenty of money to fix the lines in FA and the defense is pretty much complete Imo. The college game isn’t developing offense linemen properly anyway. We desperately need skill position players and I have no interest in buying any of these second rate FA with tread on the tires. Go out and get the best combination of WR-TE-RB early and give josh young help. 

This group of OLmen looks pretty dam good imo. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t even feel like we need a tackle that bad. It’s our interior line that’s really bad. I would not take a tackle in the first few rounds. We have pretty solid tackles. The Guards are the big issue. Go get a big time TE and WR.

That’s just stupid 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Think about it.

I think Ebron was just slow to develop and had some early inconsistencies in his game which is why Stafford and Detroit did not use him as their go-to guy.

He has matured as a route runner and is catching the ball better with Indy, but needed that change of scenery. 

I get your point Doc, a team that spends their draft coin on Fant may end up having a long learning and maturity curve as well to endure and may not get their value from him. Buffalo fans are not very patient with dropped balls or lazy routes as the KB experiment clearly showed.

• Thank you (+1) 2