2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

D.K just ran his way into the top 5...

And I'm sad...?

Passes the Marvel Comics eye test and the kid is such a fluid effortless runner - deceptive does not cover it.

He has not hurt his stock at all.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

And yet Metcalf had 30 catches last year and averaged 3 receptions per game in the SEC...

To me, he's an athlete trying to play football right now 

You may choose to add Christian Wilkins to that list 

You are really all in on the anti-metcalf campaign. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

I think Gruden has to go pass rusher with the first of 3 picks

Just like when Al Davis couldn’t resist Heyward-Bey, so too Gruden won’t be able to resist Metcalf.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

I wouldn’t hate Metcalf, but I’m always hesitant about “shiny” over production. 

Me too.  He was on pace for over 1,000 yards and double digit touchdowns before his injjury last year though.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Just like when Al Davis couldn’t resist Heyward-Bey, so too Gruden won’t be able to resist Metcalf.

I find it hilarious that Gruden likely takes a pass rusher after trading away the best one in the league. Or a wide receiver, after trading away a darn good one. 

Edited by Bills2ref

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The questions that need to be asked are: "Did he get open?" and "Did he catch the ball when it came his direction?"

You can't downgrade him too much for not being targeted.

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

I find it hilarious that Gruden likely takes a pass rusher after trading away the best one in the league. Or a wide receiver, after trading away a darn good one. 

That’s the fun of creating holes; you get to fill them.?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, APoxOnYou said:

I really hope DK wont go to the Jets... He probably will. :(

I am all aboard the Metcalf train, have been for a while now. That being said, I think I would rather him go to the Jets than a guy like Josh Allen. I would rather game plan to shut down a WR than have our QB get plastered by a formidable pass rush. I feel its easier to double team a Metcalf than it is to keep a RB in the backfield to block Josh Allen from getting to Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And yet Metcalf had 30 catches last year and averaged 3 receptions per game in the SEC...

You forgot to mention that he was injured. Should go work for cnn or fox news.

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

I am all aboard the Metcalf train, have been for a while now. That being said, I think I would rather him go to the Jets than a guy like Josh Allen. I would rather game plan to shut down a WR than have our QB get plastered by a formidable pass rush. I feel its easier to double team a Metcalf than it is to keep a RB in the backfield to block Josh Allen from getting to Josh Allen. 

Take your point, but Robby Anderson is a pretty formidable WR in his own right. The Jets would definitely be a tough match-up in the pass game with Metcalf/Anderson at flanker.

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Not really.

I would need to convince myself that he's able to refine his route running and up his catch percentage if I'm talking him in the top 10.

I think he's an incredible athlete, and certainly has the potential to be a WR1, but I have serious reservations regarding why he didn't produce at Ole Miss.

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You forgot to mention that he was injured. Should go work for cnn or fox news.

Thanks for getting political!

A smart poster might've noticed that I referenced his receptions PER GAME, which takes availability into account.

Seriously shocked at people getting upset about his lack of production being questioned.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not really.

I would need to convince myself that he's able to refine his route running and up his catch percentage if I'm talking him in the top 10.

I think he's an incredible athlete, and certainly has the potential to be a WR1, but I have serious reservations regarding why he didn't produce at Ole Miss.

Thanks for getting political!

A smart poster might've noticed that I referenced his receptions PER GAME, which takes availability into account.

Seriously shocked at people getting upset about his lack of production being questioned.

You said he had 30 receptions LAST YEAR like he played the entire year.

A smart poster knows what they wrote...

7 minutes ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

Is Ed Oliver this years Nkemdiche?

Oliver was rumored to have played at under 280 lbs.  That he showed up at the combine at 287 is good news for him.  Now, if he tests well at that weight. . .

11 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Passes the Marvel Comics eye test and the kid is such a fluid effortless runner - deceptive does not cover it.

He has not hurt his stock at all.

He's plenty...And I mean PLENTY good on the field already too...And he's just starting to scratch the nuances he'll need in the NFL...But he has and uses some already...Violent hands...He knows how to set up DB's...He's the son of an NFL player...

He's SO much better already than most of these folks who think he's just another David Boston can even comprehend...There are lapses in concentration from time to time...The occasional drop...But the kids a redshirt sophomore...He's a SUPER hard worker with an amazing attitude...The medicals are clear...

Wait a couple years...He's going to be an absolute stud...Hopefully not for the Jets...?

Just now, TigerJ said:

Oliver was rumored to have played at under 280 lbs.  That he showed up at the combine at 287 is good news for him.  Now, if he tests well at that weight. . .

At this point, with how Metcalf tested out, I have him pencilled into the top 8. That would easily leave Oliver for the Bills at 9 if they want him. I hope they do, I think he can be a difference maker at the NFL level. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You said he had 30 receptions LAST YEAR like he played the entire year.

A smart poster knows what they wrote...

Cute.

How many did he have the previous year?

Without looking...

And you still missed the point: he averaged 3 receptions per game. Why?

I get that some of you are crushing HARD, but honestly, it's okay to ask why he didn't produce.

We need to tap the breaks on Metcalf and the other athletic freaks on display a little bit.

It’s a great first step in the process for him, but what he’s put on tape and how he does in his interviews is every bit as important. Especially when it comes to breaking it down on the whiteboard and showing how much he understands route concepts and understanding why defenses do certain things in certain situations, etc. 

No doubt his athleticism will be hard to ignore for some teams, but the league has gotten smarter over time, too. If he doesn’t understand the concepts involved, it won’t matter how fast he is or how high he can jump. 

Love his physical ability, but I’ll be convinced after seeing a season or two first.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Cute.

Without looking...

I get that some of you are crushing HARD, but honestly, it's okay to ask why he didn't produce.

Around 40. In his first year starting. In the SEC. With aj brown and other good receivers sharing the ball. The lack of production is scary but youre acting like he didnt get injured and miss time. 

Just now, K-9 said:

We need to tap the breaks on Metcalf and the other athletic freaks on display a little bit.

It’s a great first step in the process for him, but what he’s put on tape and how he does in his interviews is every bit as important. Especially when it comes to breaking it down on the whiteboard and showing how much he understands route concepts and understanding why defenses do certain things in certain situations, etc. 

No doubt his athleticism will be hard to ignore for some teams, but the league has gotten smarter over time, too. If he doesn’t understand the concepts involved, it won’t matter how fast he is or how high he can jump. 

Love his physical ability, but I’ll be convinced after seeing a season or two first.

Duck man, here it comes

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

Around 40. In his first year starting. In the SEC. With aj brown and other good receivers sharing the ball. The lack of production is scary but youre acting like he didnt get injured and miss time. 

No, you're assuming that I'm acting that way because...well, I actually have no idea why. All I said was that, right now, he's an athlete playing football and not a football player who's a great athlete.

Cute.

Without looking...

Well...A few things Sir...

QB play for one...A slew of other skill position players that were very good while he was there...They spread it around...It was an offensive philosophy...

Plus he was the youngest of all the receiver options...And he did get hurt...

Don't get me wrong...He was not perfect...But the sky is the limit with him...He's the (QB) Josh Allen of WR's...

Cute.

Without looking...

This is why I wish he didn’t get injured last season. Definitely an enigma at this point. You can’t go by combine numbers alone. We can’t go by 2018-19 college production either. Like you pointed out, his 2017 was nothing special. 12 games 39 receptions. Take away the first game against South Alabama (who?) and he goes down to 11 games and 31 receptions for the season. Had multiple one reception games as well. 

More to consider though, as a sophomore Julio Jones 13 games, 43 receptions, 4 TDS. Julio broke out his Junior year. DK Metcalf didn’t even get to play his sophomore year, nevertheless his junior year. Metcalf actually outproduced Julio’s sophomore year, and he did it as a freshman. 

• Like (+1) 3

Duck man, here it comes

Haha. Won’t be the first time. 

Kid has all the athletic gifts, but that’s only one check of a box. 

Edited by K-9

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t disagree with this but considering he was a borderline first rounder before the combine based on the factors you just talked about .... its completely fair to think he easily solidified that at the very least. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Duck man, here it comes

No, you're assuming that I'm acting that way because...well, I actually have no idea why. All I said was that, right now, he's an athlete playing football and not a football player who's a great athlete.

The way you worded it (and yet he only had 30 catches last year) definitely sounded like you were saying he only had 30 catches last year like he played the whole year. I said you left out he was injured. Read your post.idk what else to say

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Wilkins is the definition of what McD and Beane want in a Buffalo Bill.  I think they would take him over Oliver or Gary.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...A few things Sir...

QB play for one...A slew of other skill position players that were very good while he was there...They spread it around...It was an offensive philosophy...

Plus he was the youngest of all the receiver options...And he did get hurt...

Don't get me wrong...He was not perfect...But the sky is the limit with him...He's the (QB) Josh Allen of WR's...

I think we saw a bit more from Allen, but that's because he touched the ball every play.

Just now, Bills2ref said:

This is why I wish he didn’t get injured last season. Definitely an enigma at this point. You can’t go by combine numbers alone. We can’t go by 2018-19 college production either. Like you pointed out, his 2017 was nothing special. 12 games 39 receptions. Take away the first game against South Alabama (who?) and he goes down to 11 games and 31 receptions for the season. Had multiple one reception games as well. 

More to consider though, as a sophomore Julio Jones 13 games, 43 receptions, 4 TDS. Julio broke out his Junior year. DK Metcalf didn’t even get to play his sophomore year, nevertheless his junior year. Metcalf actually outproduced Julio’s sophomore year, and he did it as a freshman. 

Good post!

One of the other things that I question with DK is why his high-volume catch games all came against the Western Albany Agricultural Institute-type of schools.

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

The way you worded it definitely sounded like you were saying he only had 30 catches last year like he played the whole year. I said you left out he was injured. Read your post.idk what else to say

I mentioned his per game numbers; you got hung up on something that I didn't say.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Haha. Won’t be the first time. 

Kid has all the athletic gifts, but that’s only one check of a box. 

I got a feeling he goes Top 10..

Someone will roll the dice..might be Beane... he loves him some high ceiling..

• Like (+1) 1

I think we saw a bit more from Allen, but that's because he touched the ball every play.

Good post!

One of the other things that I question with DK is why his high-volume catch games all came against the Western Albany Agricultural Institute-type of schools.

I mentioned his per game numbers; you got hung up on something that I didn't say.

They all came against Western Albany AI because Ole Miss was too chicken s—t to schedule Cal-Poly Pomona.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Murray, Haskins, Bosa, Williams, Metcalf, Allen all likely go in the top 6.   My best guess is that this leaves us with 2 of the following to choose from:

Jonah Williams

Jawaan Taylor

Rashan Gary

Ed Oliver

Metcalf is too 6 now?  Lol.  This is crazy.  Dude isn’t that good.  I’d still consider it a reach at 9 as he won’t be top 9 on my BPA list

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

True...

I'm comparing them as prospects where athletic ability and upside for their position are considered...?