2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t even feel like we need a tackle that bad. It’s our interior line that’s really bad. I would not take a tackle in the first few rounds. We have pretty solid tackles. The Guards are the big issue. Go get a big time TE and WR.

You do realize Dawkins and McDermott are the only tackles on the roster right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Think about it.

Oh enlighten me doc. Could it be that ebron was stuck with an overrated QB and a revolving door at HC/OC and got out of there and proved his draft position in a better situation? Or not? You’re “smart” you tell me

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but they weren't with the team that drafted him.

He put up some numbers with Detroit, like it or not. The TDs weren't there but the yardage was pretty consistent especially with how much of a tire fire Detroit has been. 

1 minute ago, Clyde Smith said:

Any update on Irv Smith?

He's doing well. In terms of the guys that are standing out it's him, Fant, Hockenson, and some guy named Kaharre something like that. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

wouldn't mind seeing Hakeem Butler, kid really  fights for balls ,makes tough catches and can fly, probably the closest thing To Calvin Johnson in a long time.

Metcalf is the one who compares to Megatron and is drawing those comparisons.

Butler is more lumbering with his long stride and drops too many passes.  I’m worried a bit about Butler, more i read on him the more he sounds like James Hardy did coming out of college.  

Ill still I’ll be stoked if we got him in 2nd, but just some deja vu when I read about it him.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Not surprised we’re on the same page here.  I won’t be able to watch any of this live, only reports later on, so I caught a few of the agility test reps for Taylor and was truly impressed with his mobility and agility. Doing it while not at 100% is even more impressive. And I know the various team personnel love the idea that he wants to be out there competing with an injury. 

Havent seen Dillard,  it will take your word that he’s impressive. 

I haven’t been impressed with Jonah Williams very much going back to Alabama’s season opener. He’s decent but not dominating. I think he will be better inside.

I love Risner’s fire and versatility. But again, I think he’s best suited to an interior role. He worked out at center at the Senior Bowl so I think pro personnel folks maybe think the same way.

I have both players slated at C.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Big Hock fan but was hoping for at least 4.6s. Kittle was a 4.52 guy and Kelce was low 4.6s. Ertz was 4.76 but it would like to be a little more dynamic if top ten. I’d like to see the other quickness drills to see if he measures up in those areas. 

I think he will still find success in the NFL. I never thought of him as a 40 time burner, rather I always liked him as a well-rounded all-purpose TE that would be that team-first guy that fits the model the Bills are looking to fill. 

I thought his draft stock has been a bit inflated by his supplanting Fant as Iowa's go-to guy last season, but he is still a quality (high value/low risk) pick IMO. 

I am hoping his 40 does turn some teams off and that he drops - it would make him more of an option for teams looking to have someone step on the field and contribute pretty quickly. I also like a few of the other TEs available in this draft, but I think Hockenson is and will prove to be the best blocker of the bunch and he has good enough hands and speed to be a mismatch in coverage.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Metcalf is the one who compares to Megatron and is drawing those comparisons.

Butler is more lumbering with his long stride and drops too many passes.  I’m worried a bit about Butler, more i read on him the more he sounds like James Hardy did coming out of college.  

Ill still I’ll be stoked if we got him in 2nd, but just some deja vu when I read about it him.

So he sounds like James Hardy to you but you’ll still be stoked to get him in the second round?  Interesting analysis 

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m sold on Hockenson. Hope we trade down a few spots and draft Hockenson.

He was a BEAST in the blocking drill. Looked like he wanted to drive the dude back into the tunnel and kept going a sec after they yelled break. Matched his tape

Also some guy named Kahale Warring is a reeeally natural catcher of the football. I wonder if he can block at all

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Any update on Irv Smith?

He shocked folks that he came in as the smallest TE @ 6'2" and with the smallest hands.

You are usually looking for a size mismatch and blocking ability, as well as the hands to find success with contested passes. Not sure why Irv Smith did not convert to a WR role in college - perhaps his 40 time was an issue... not sure, but there are plenty of WR's this year who are bigger than Irv Smith.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fant drops the wheel route pass right in his hands. I want to research how many TE's that ran under a 4.55 have had success in the NFL. I know of Vernon Davis but there aren't many. Being a freak athlete at TE doesn't always translate.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Run on QB’s started by Murray going one leads to the Skins moving up to 9, we take hock at 15.

This would be the best result. I really hope it happens. Pick up and additional 2nd and maybe a 4th. 

Edited by wppete

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

So Anthony Johnson still has an ankle problem at the Combine.  He'll thus likely drop significantly on the boards.  He may be worth a look with a mid to late round pick, if he's still available, provided we can satisfy our primary requirements in FA and early in the draft.

I would happily take a flier on Johnson in rounds 5-7 even with an injury question. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

So he sounds like James Hardy to you but you’ll still be stoked to get him in the second round?  Interesting analysis 

Lol, I didn’t predict he was James Hardy or gonna be a bust.  I said the way he reads reminds me of what they said about Hardy in the draft.  The way his tall frame affects his on field speed in and out of routes and how he drops more passes than he should.  

He is still an intriguing prospect, but he is one I worry about bust potential on a little more than the others that may be available.  

This board loves to twist people’s words into their own narratives.  

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, I didn’t predict he was James Hardy or gonna be a bust.  I said the way he reads reminds me of what they said about Hardy in the draft.  The way his tall frame affects his on field speed in and out of routes and how he drops more passes than he should.  

He is still an intriguing prospect, but he is one I worry about bust potential on a little more than the others that may be available.  

This board loves to twist people’s words into their own narratives.  

So you're saying he is going to be a bust.

44 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Fant drops the wheel route pass right in his hands. I want to research how many TE's that ran under a 4.55 have had success in the NFL. I know of Vernon Davis but there aren't many. Being a freak athlete at TE doesn't always translate.

Fant may still find success in the league, but watching Iowa games and trolling their boards "drops" were a common theme.

Poor blocking, not "into it" if the play was away from him, and inconsistent hands which led to more reps for Hock. I never got the impression he was a cancer or a bad locker room guy, and I thought he handled the loss of reps situation like a pro sans causing distractions so I don't think there are any character issues.

Like a lot of prospects, he comes with some question marks, and teams have to decide if they warrant pushing him down their boards a bit.

I don't think anyone thought Hockenson was a better pure athlete - I also fully expected Fant to crush a lot of the combine measurables.

16 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Based on McDs comments about the league and #1 WRs I don’t see us using #9 on a WR. 

Don't forget how much of this time of the year is smoke and mirrors, either.  Remember Buddy Nix and the "Cordy Glenn isn't an NFL tackle" thing?