2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Martin put up 225 29 times and played OG at ND. We'll see how Williams does in that particular drill. I just don't see top 10 talent in Williams.

Martin was taken with the 16th pick for the sake of reference.

My bad I thought he played LT at ND

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My bad I thought he played LT at ND

Upon further review, you are indeed correct. The first site I researched had him listed as OG but that was an NFL projection. Still very curious to see what kind of strength numbers Williams puts up. I'm very reluctant to take a pure tactician without any particularly great physical traits in the top 10. I'd be much more comfortable with the pick if we happen to trade down, but that's a whole lot of variables.

When I watch Martin, I see a mauler. I didn't see that even at the collegiate level from J Will.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

While stuff like this (and Hakeem Butler's chart that I've seen going around) are interesting, I don't think it really tells you all that much until you can pair it with their athletic testing. If Irv is just average athletically on top of being relatively tiny, that's probably a massive red flag, but it might not be a big deal that he's undersized if he has elite athleticism.

12 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Those numbers for Ed Oliver are amazing. There were rumors he'd be 6'0 275. So to come in at 6'2 287 is amazing. He's going to run a 4.6 and his 10 yard splits, cone, shuttle will break the spectrum. He might not even be there at #9 when we pick.

Man, it sucks that like 20 guys won't be there at 9 for us!

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Those numbers for Ed Oliver are amazing. There were rumors he'd be 6'0 275. So to come in at 6'2 287 is amazing. He's going to run a 4.6 and his 10 yard splits, cone, shuttle will break the spectrum. He might not even be there at #9 when we pick.

He won't. This pretty much killed any hope there was.

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He won't. This pretty much killed any hope there was.

Not to worry. Between Q. Williams, E. Oliver, C. Wilkins, and J. Simmons, one of them will be there at 9, and all have the potential to be utter wrecking balls on the interior.

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not to worry. Between Q. Williams, E. Oliver, C. Wilkins, and J. Simmons, one of them will be there at 9, and all have the potential to be utter wrecking balls on the interior.

Simmons has to be out of the discussion that early now, right?  I mean he's going to miss the whole year I think, on top of the character stuff.

I love Oliver and Wilkins at 9.  And my boy Brian Burns just weighed in at 249.  A terror off the edge.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Simmons has to be out of the discussion that early now, right?  I mean he's going to miss the whole year I think, on top of the character stuff.

I love Oliver and Wilkins at 9.  And my boy Brian Burns just weighed in at 249.  A terror off the edge.

Im cool with Oliver, Burns, or Wilkins if we go D. I'm even down with Gary if they want him at 3 tech.

1 minute ago, eball said:

We need a plug and play at C.  Possible trade down?

The word was that the Bills were watching him very closely at the Sr Bowl. And that Ken Dorsey has inside intel on him as well having worked (briefly) at App St under his former HC at NC St

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Im cool with Oliver, Burns, or Wilkins if we go D. I'm even down with Gary if they want him at 3 tech.

I just don't see it with Gary.  Don't like any of the tape that I have watched.  I'm hoping he tests really well and goes before our pick.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think he goes top 20.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I think he goes top 20.

Browns or Raiders.  Browns have the talent up front where they can wait out the injury and don’t care about off field. Raiders have the 1st rounders to burn where they can wait out the injury too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I just don't see it with Gary.  Don't like any of the tape that I have watched.  I'm hoping he tests really well and goes before our pick.

Gary played mostly inside at Michigan, I think.  I also think he grumbled a bit about that because he thought that wasn't his best position, and that's why his numbers weren't so great.  I think you might have a disgruntled player if you drafted him to plug in at 3 tech.  He might be OK with playing defensive end on run downs and moving inside on 3rd and long.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Jonah Williams 

I was looking at this list last night.  Seems to me a lot of later round OL.  Might be thinking of passing on the OL in the 1st round and going with a WR/TE or DL.

I'm rooting for a trade down and TJ!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Gary played mostly inside at Michigan, I think.  I also think he grumbled a bit about that because he thought that wasn't his best position, and that's why his numbers weren't so great.  I think you might have a disgruntled player if you drafted him to plug in at 3 tech.  He might be OK with playing defensive end on run downs and moving inside on 3rd and long.

Vice versa - they played him on the outside and he is better on the inside. He can rush the passer but he’s not a pure edge rusher and won’t be one in the nfl. He’s a 3tech in the nfl and that’s what he wants. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Browns or Raiders.  Browns have the talent up front where they can wait out the injury and don’t care about off field. Raiders have the 1st rounders to burn where they can wait out the injury too.

Gruden ordered an abrupt teardown. I don't see him using one of his high picks for a player who will be sitting out the season. With respect to Cleveland now that they have their franchise qb there is an urgency to immediately start winning.. There is even more urgency with Pittsburgh going through their internal combustion and with Baltimore starting a young unconventional qb. The time to win is now. Using a high pick to shelve a player for future use makes little sense for them. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Vice versa - they played him on the outside and he is better on the inside 

Oh.  I'm glad you follow college ball more closely than I do.  That might be a good thing.  He's a bit underweight for a tackle, but maybe he kept his weight down to play DE because that's where Harbaugh wanted him.  He's got real good speed for a DT.  He should have the frame to add some quality weight and retain most of his speed.  He could be a monster at 3 tech.

13 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Jaylon Smith went 34th overall, so who knows.  Simmons is a stud on the field.

Smith was a top 5 pick before the injury and he didn’t have the incident that Simmons does. 34th is second round, I think Simmons goes middle of the second.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

If Sweat puts up good combine numbers at 260 pounds he might sneak into the top 10. I seriously thought the kid was around 245-250. That extra weight makes him viable in 4-3 schemes. 

Yep, I concur. Think he might be an option for Buffalo if he tests well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Oh.  I'm glad you follow college ball more closely than I do.  That might be a good thing.  He's a bit underweight for a tackle, but maybe he kept his weight down to play DE because that's where Harbaugh wanted him.  He's got real good speed for a DT.  He should have the frame to add some quality weight and retain most of his speed.  He could be a monster at 3 tech.

They played him there out of need, and because sometimes he was just so much more talented than the guy in front of him that it worked. When that was not the case, or if he was doubled, he doesn’t have the polish or technique that a Nick Bosa (as an example of someone who also played inside and outside but will play pass rusher in the NFL) has to beat the OL. He’s an athletic freak but not the 1v1 winner you would want on the edge. They moved him around in a rough 4-3. He sometimes got pulled for a edge rusher in obvious passing downs.the thing with their defense is that it is heavy blitz. They use the LBs and safeties a ton - this negatively impacts the stats of the DL. By contrast OSU for example did not blitz much and rushed the passer with the DL more often than not.  (see sack #s for Dremont Jones).  Chase Winovich was UM’s pure pass rusher and he was much more productive when Gary was playing. He was basically Ed Oliver’s role in their defense but was a bit more free. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yep, I concur. Think he might be an option for Buffalo if he tests well.

I think Sweat benefited from Simmons wreaking havoc on the inside.  I don't see the elite talent with him.

49 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Im a little leery with him too, but my hope is they would have a specific role(3 tech) in mind for him, and let him focus on that for a while instead of moving him all over.