2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Apparently Kyler was at St Elmo’s last night and our local radio host was standing next to him who said he’s been 5’10 his whole life and is now 40. He said he was taller than Kyler standing next to him. He said he’s absolutely shocked he’s measured over 5’10. He said from talking to people at the combine, the hype is out of control on Murray and it’s all based on mayfield’s success.

Guy sounds like a nut job.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Oof. 166 for Brown is rough... hopefully that’s a result of the injury.

It's slightly heavier than expected actually lol. NFL teams thought he was 160 at the beginning of the year (also had him pegged like 1.5" taller than he is)

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's slightly heavier than expected actually lol. NFL teams thought he was 160 at the beginning of the year (also had him pegged like 1.5" taller than he is)

The 1 for 1 comparisons that teams make to justify these guys being able to succeed eliminates the room for the human element. 

Tyreek Hill can play as a tiny guy, I'm sure Hollywood Brown can too. Completely leaves out the idea that Hill might be the 1 in a million exception. Same story for Murray and Wilson. 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The 1 for 1 comparisons that teams make to justify these guys being able to succeed eliminates the room for the human element. 

Tyreek Hill can play as a tiny guy, I'm sure Hollywood Brown can too. Completely leaves out the idea that Hill might be the 1 in a million exception. Same story for Murray and Wilson. 

Tyreek is much thicker though, like 185.

16 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

And that’s who he should be compared to in terms of both size and the baseball background that allows him to run “smart” and slide - Wilson. But hand size difference - Wilson’s were over 10, and Wilson had much more playing experience (as did Baker) 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

OH MY WORD! He's not lasting till #9

That's incredible to me.

The guy looks like an athlete for sure, but geez.  He averaged 3.5 receptions per game in less than 2 full college seasons.  He's had a grand total 5 games (out of 21) in which he had 5 or more receptions, and they came against South Alabama, Tennessee-Martin, Kentucky (ok, that's a good one), South Illinois, and Kent State. In contrast, he's had 3 or fewer receptions in 10 of 21 games.

It's a draft pick that's based purely upon potential and not production, which is okay if you're a team that can afford to be wrong about him.

But if you're a team like Buffalo, and you're picking a WR at No. 9 overall, then you need that guy to be a stud.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's incredible to me.

The guy looks like an athlete for sure, but geez.  He averaged 3.5 receptions per game in less than 2 full college seasons.  He's had a grand total 5 games (out of 21) in which he had 5 or more receptions, and they came against South Alabama, Tennessee-Martin, Kentucky (ok, that's a good one), South Illinois, and Kent State. In contrast, he's had 3 or fewer receptions in 10 of 21 games.

It's a draft pick that's based purely upon potential and not production, which is okay if you're a team that can afford to be wrong about him.

But if you're a team like Buffalo, and you're picking a WR at No. 9 overall, then you need that guy to be a stud.

Metcalf may end up making me look stupid and this is really nothing against him... but when it comes to Ole Miss WR in this draft, I’m 100% Team AJ Brown especially for the Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Metcalf may end up making me look stupid and this is really nothing against him... but when it comes to Ole Miss WR in this draft, I’m 100% Team AJ Brown.

I actually think that DK may end up a really good football player, but right now he's an athlete that's playing football, and I have a really hard time picking those guys early.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Metcalf may end up making me look stupid and this is really nothing against him... but when it comes to Ole Miss WR in this draft, I’m 100% Team AJ Brown especially for the Bills.

Yeah, I am fine being wrong, and I don't have as strong a feeling as I have about others in the past, but I really don't love Metcalf... I think he's a risk. 

I love Brown, but I think he's really a slot.

Ole Miss is a tough place to rate receivers.  Odd system.

IMO, Metcalf is a stud and great fit for Allen.  That first play of the game against Alabama...  yes please.

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

IMO, Metcalf is a stud and great fit for Allen.  That first play of the game against Alabama...  yes please.

We really need a slot WR

Tyree winning the #handsize game:

#NFLCombine key measurements thread… 143. #Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson Height: 6-7 Weight: 249 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 34 2/8 Wingspan: 83 6/8

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

When I think about DK and Allen, I keep coming back to this: what does DK give Allen that N'Keal Harry--who you can probably get early on day 2--doesn't?

We really need a slot WR

I'm hoping Zay is that guy.  But yeah, tough to really count on him completely at this point.  But I think the real need is on the outside.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Tyree winning the #handsize game:

#NFLCombine key measurements thread… 143. #Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson Height: 6-7 Weight: 249 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 34 2/8 Wingspan: 83 6/8

When I think about DK and Allen, I keep coming back to this: what does DK give Allen that N'Keal Harry--who you can probably get early on day 2--doesn't?

That's easy, speed and the ability to seperate.  DK is a freak.  Harry isn't, love his hands though.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We really need a slot WR

Sometimes I think this, and then sometimes I don't.. I really can't keep track of way Jones is supposed to play, and I don't much care for him anyways. It seems that the prototypical WR ideas are being busted here lately, but I don't know how to take that. Do we need a height guy? Do we need a possession guy? Do we need another speed guy? I don't see anyone in the draft who checks all the boxes and can run every route and make every play. 

3 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm hoping Zay is that guy.  But yeah, tough to really count on him completely at this point.  But I think the real need is on the outside.

That's easy, speed and the ability to seperate.  DK is a freak.  Harry isn't, love his hands though.

Seperation is important, but at the pro level it needs to be done with more than just speed. Route running creates seperation at this level- speed helps. The knock on DK (at least some that I have seen, for what that's worth) is that he's unpolished and a sloppy route runner. I don't like that much. 

Edited by whatdrought

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

DK may have better timed speed, but I don't really think his short-area quickness or ability to get vertical are much different than Harry.

I'm not arguing whether he's a better athlete--DK might be the best pure athlete in the draft. I just don't see a better football player than Harry (who I just picked as an example).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

DK may have better timed speed, but I don't really think his short-area quickness or ability to get vertical are much different than Harry.

I'm not arguing whether he's a better athlete--DK might be the best pure athlete in the draft. I just don't see a better football player than Harry (who I just picked as an example).

I'm not a big Harry guy.  I think Harmon is much better, with a similar skill set.  I really want to see how fast Harry and Harmon are.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm not a big Harry guy.  

:lol:

7 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I'm not a big Harry guy.  I think Harmon is much better, with a similar skill set.  I really want to see how fast Harry and Harmon are.

Ok, now that I'm done being immature...

I think Harry is a great fit for Allen.  He is physical after the catch and finds ways to create enough separation...and, of course, has the best ball skills in the class.  I see him as a perfect fit for what Allen needs at this stage of his career, even if he's not among the most talented or well-rounded guys.

Right now, I have him somewhere around 40-65 on my board, so he's squarely a day 2 guy for me.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

228 for metcalf…. seems like that photo was just a good angle and pump after all. probably put on a good 5-10 of lean mass from the regular season. reasonable...wheres all the people that were sure Metcalf was juicing out like david boston? @Alphadawg7, wasn't it you and I trying to explain to @Yav how silly it was to just blame the juice?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have basically zero interest in AJ personally. Don't think he's what this team needs at all and don't think he's anything special as a prospect even for a team that could use someone like him.

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see on any planet where a GM should take Metcalf over Brown. Taking someone based on testing is a way to lose your job.

I think Brown is the much better player.

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

228 for metcalf…. seems like that photo was just a good angle and pump after all. probably put on a good 5-10 of lean mass from the regular season. reasonable...wheres all the people that were sure Metcalf was juicing out like david boston? @Alphadawg7, wasn't it you and I trying to explain to @Yav how silly it was to just blame the juice?

Yup, that was a pretty silly delegation he made that he had to be juicing and would 100% test positive for it.  

I know Darnold didn’t ... but no reason for Murray not to throw at the combine. No drills either. He came out and said he wants to prove he’s the #1 QB in the draft and now he’s in Indy and doing nothing. It’s a controlled environment. Weak sauce.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I know Darnold didn’t ... but no reason for Murray not to throw at the combine. No drills either. He came out and said he wants to prove he’s the #1 QB in the draft and now he’s in Indy and doing nothing. It’s a controlled environment. Weak sauce.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. In all likelihood, he put on weight for the measurement and doesn't want to do the athletic testing while he's weighed down. And any team that has interest in him will likely have him in for a private workout anyways so there's no sense in throwing at the combine really. And it's never really held anyone back in the past. Obviously Darnold didn't do it last year and he still went #3 or whatever it was; guys hold out every year from throwing at the combine.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

5’10 is pretty damn short. 

And they measured from the top of this:

Image result for kid n play

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Basically identical to Wilson size-wise though and far more athletic. Like half an inch shorter and a few pounds heavier (if that's actually his real weight and he didn't just put some weight on for the Combine).

"Far more athletic...than Wilson"??  No he's not.  Plus Wilson dominated the position for 3 seasons on 2 teams and in 2 different conferences.  This kid has one season.

And, yes, he did just put on all the weight for the combine--he played at 194 lbs this season!  That will be his natural playing weight.

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And they measured from the top of this:

Image result for kid n play

"Far more athletic...than Wilson"??  No he's not.  Plus Wilson dominated the position for 3 seasons on 2 teams and in 2 different conferences.  This kid has one season.

And, yes, he did just put on all the weight for the combine--he played at 194 lbs this season!  That will be his natural playing weight.

Murray is expected to run in the 4.3's whenever he ends up running his 40. He's an elite athlete for any position, whereas Wilson is an elite athlete for a QB.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. In all likelihood, he put on weight for the measurement and doesn't want to do the athletic testing while he's weighed down. And any team that has interest in him will likely have him in for a private workout anyways so there's no sense in throwing at the combine really. And it's never really held anyone back in the past. Obviously Darnold didn't do it last year and he still went #3 or whatever it was; guys hold out every year from throwing at the combine.

Do they? The last 12/13 QBs drafted in the 1st round threw at the combine. Darnold chose not to because his camp believed that he was so far out in front and considered a lock for #1 that he didn’t need to and didn’t want to risk his stock. Then Baker proceeded to beat him out from the combine going forward and ended up grabbing #1 out from under him. As you recall it was supposed to be Darnold to the Browns forever and then things changed. Sure he “still went #3”. But he was supposed to go #1. It’s considered harder to throw at the combine than at pro day because it’s less controlled and you don’t have your own WR, that’s why teams like it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1