2019 NFL Combine updates

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The draft is a weird event.  Maybe maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he went before the Bills pick.

He's the most talented player in this draft. 

Talent doesn’t = results.

That’s the mistake many make.

• Like (+1) 1

In 10 Years, I believe we will say the following:

1. D.K. Metcalf was an above average wide receiver with a few pro bowl level years. Mark him down for 8K-9K yards and 65-70 touchdowns. What will keep him from the upper-echelon level will be the following: good but not great quarterback play, a long strider/not quick/explosive in first 10-15 yards, and frequent double teams. His floor is David Boston from the early 2000's Cardinals...his ceiling...with the right team and QB (Andre Johnson but less big play touchdowns and 1,000 yard seasons).

2. Noah Fant (if he ends up with a ProBowl level quarterback) will be the best TE of his generation (meaning with Gates, Gronk, and Graham near the end and Kelce at the top right now.)

Fun Prediction:

• Pass on D.K. Metcalf (Trade to 13-19) and get a 2nd or 3rd rounder
  • Pick Noah Fant
  • 2nd round pick...on best wide receiver on their board
  • Use that extra 2nd or 3rd rounder on a RB/DT to rebuild these positions for the future

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Metcalf is too 6 now?  Lol.  This is crazy.  Dude isn’t that good.  I’d still consider it a reach at 9 as he won’t be top 9 on my BPA list

Ironic, isn’t it, at the same time the Bengals are getting ready to cut ties with the combine star they drafted at 9 overall?  although to be fair, Ross was highly productive at UW.

28 minutes ago, Wizard said:

2. Noah Fant (if he ends up with a ProBowl level quarterback) will be the best TE of his generation (meaning with Gates, Gronk, and Graham near the end and Kelce at the top right now.)

Not quite THAT bullish on Fant, but I think there's a good chance he's a better NFL receiving TE than Hock.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nooo Nick is full blown MAGA. Not to be political ...because i don’t follow it much . But this is a big part of nick’s personality. And Wrong Josh is big time anti-Trump

The People's Republic of California is anti-Trump, and you think the 49'ers could handle taking him?

4 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He wasn’t even in the top 2 of his college team this year in terms of production.

My respect for Rosen went up 100x.

But you're still glad we took Josh Allen, right?

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

The People's Republic of California is anti-Trump, and you think the 49'ers could handle taking him?

Sure, why not? Most of the seats are probably filled by Trump supporters.

I doubt that illegal aliens and Antifa are filling the stadium and buying expensive souvenirs.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Those last two were  important drills for metcalf.... no bueno

Worries me that ~60% of an NFL route tree will be difficult for him to execute.

Of course, for an E-P team like the Bills, that wouldn't be as big a concern.

• Like (+1) 1

I have to come clean and admit I want Garrett Bradbury in the 1st. Now taking him at #9 is lunacy but I’m thinking about adding a player that fills a need, has All Pro potential and helps Josh Allen. I keep going back to Bradbury.

He tested off the charts, has years of excellent game tape and is incredibly intelligent. All the reports coming from the Senior Bowl and Combine make note of how smart he’s in the classroom. 

Last year we got our QB and our QB of the defense. Now it’s time to get our QB of the OL. Josh Allen still has trouble with pre-snap recognition and that’s where Bradbury excels.

Bills loved Frank Ragnow last year and he went #20. We have to find a way to trade back a bit. Maybe to #23 with Houston. They need OL help and Taylor, Risner are Top 20 picks. I’d love if we got Houston’s 23rd, 44th and 45th. Works in the trade value chart.

Coming away with Garrett Bradbury, Chris Lindstrom, Kelvin Harmon and Rock Ya Sin on the first two days of the Draft is a great haul.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Talent doesn’t = results.

That’s the mistake many make.

You mean like Josh Allen in college?  This board is weird.

People go all season complaining that Allen doesn't have enough weapons on offense.  Here you have just what the doctor ordered and people are apprehensive. 

I've been talking about D.K. since October.  Watch his highlights and tell me what you don't see that you just saw at the combine.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

People go all season complaining that Allen doesn't have enough weapons on offense.  Here you have just what the doctor ordered and people are apprehensive. 

I've been talking about D.K. since October.  Watch his highlights and tell me what you don't see that you just saw at the combine.

Instead of watching his highlights, watch 2 seasons of full games.

Tell me that you don't see why people question his production level 

There is also a big difference between taking a shot on a QB that high and a WR. If you're right about the QB, you get a decade-long window to win a super bowl. If you're right about a WR, you have a nice piece of the offense.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Instead of watching his highlights, watch 2 seasons of full games.

Tell me that you don't see why people question his production level 

There is also a big difference between taking a shot on a QB that high and a WR. If you're right about the QB, you get a decade-long window to win a super bowl. If you're right about a WR, you have a nice piece of the offense.

I've seen his numbers.  He outperformed Brown with less targets before his injury.  He's top 15 on most boards for a reason.

Taking a shot on the next Julio Jones when you have a big armed QB like Allen is 100% worth the risk, if Daboll is competent.

Missing on a QB sets a franchise back much further than missing on a WR.  You guys are insane.

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

I've seen his numbers.  He outperformed Brown with less targets before his injury.  He's top 15 on most boards for a reason.

Taking a shot on the next Julio Jones when you have a big armed QB like Allen is 100% worth the risk, if Daboll is competent.

Missing on a QB sets a franchise back much further than missing on a WR.  You guys are insane.

Nope.

Brown had more catches and TDs than DK prior to his injury.

And no, missing on a QB doesn't set a franchise back at all...unless a team is unwilling to draft another QB.

But hey, if you think it's a good idea to trade up for a guy that averaged 3 receptions per game in college and shows very little ability to execute an NFL route tree, then that's your prerogative.

I'm not convinced yet

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

But you're still glad we took Josh Allen, right?

I was only referring to Rosen’ political leaning.  Trump is an embarrassment.

17 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope.

And no, missing on a QB doesn't set a franchise back at all...unless a team is unwilling to draft another QB.

But hey, if you think it's a good idea to trade up for a guy that averaged 3 receptions per game in college and shows very little ability to execute an NFL route tree, then that's your prerogative.

I'm not convinced yet

Brown had 1 more TD and less receiving yards on 17 more targets.  What's their QBs name again?

Who said we have to trade up?

It really doesn't matter what we think because it's Beane's decision and I trust he'll make the right one if Metcalf is there at #9.

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nope.

I'm not convinced yet

Interesting fact: the Bills haven’t drafted an Ole Miss player since 1976. And while I try to never judge a player based on the school he went to, I do think that Ole Miss players tend to have a pretty high fail rate (relatively speaking) in the pros. LaQuon Treadwell was another Ole Miss specimen who had route running issues coming out of college. He has been a real disappointment so far. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ole_Miss_Rebels_in_the_NFL_Draft

48 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Allen was very good in college. He took over a terrible 2-win team and got that team to bowl games twice.

• Like (+1) 1

Now that the smoke has settled, I’m not sold on Metcalf being what we need to make our offense go.

I still feel like Jonah Williams/Jawaan Taylor at 9, or a slight trade down and grab Dillard or Risner is the way to go.

Then in round 2 grab their favorite WR that’s still on the board.

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Interesting fact: the Bills haven’t drafted an Ole Miss player since 1976. And while I try to never judge a player based on the school he went to, I do think that Ole Miss players tend to have a pretty high fail rate (relatively speaking) in the pros. LaQuon Treadwell was another Ole Miss specimen who had route running issues coming out of college. He has been a real disappointment so far. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ole_Miss_Rebels_in_the_NFL_Draft

Allen was very good in college. He took over a terrible 2-win team and got that team to bowl games twice.

DK could have went to school on the moon for all I care.  Putting this creature on the outside paired with Allen's arm...  absolute boom potential.  If he were a completely clean prospect, we'd have no shot at 9.  Swing for the fences.

3 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Now that the smoke has settled, I’m not sold on Metcalf being what we need to make our offense go.

I still feel like Jonah Williams/Jawaan Taylor at 9, or a slight trade down and grab Dillard or Risner is the way to go.

Then in round 2 grab their favorite WR that’s still on the board.

I want to address tackle in FA.  Interior OL in the draft.

Top 10 pick should be Metcalf or one of the front 7 defensive studs, IMO

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Worries me that ~60% of an NFL route tree will be difficult for him to execute.

Of course, for an E-P team like the Bills, that wouldn't be as big a concern.

That 3 cone is more than concerning, shocking actually, after his earlier results. For those going on about “the next Julio” it should give them pause when you see Metcalf’s time in the 3cone agility drill was over a full half second slower. Straight line explosiveness is just not as critical as agility in wideouts. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I feel like we are trading down, or getting whichever one of these defensive linemen who drop to 9. Someone will be there.

54 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Quinnen Williams with an unofficial 4.87. Good lord. That’s a large fast mammal. 

I really hope the Jets don't get him or Bosa. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

Metcalf is too 6 now?  Lol.  This is crazy.  Dude isn’t that good.  I’d still consider it a reach at 9 as he won’t be top 9 on my BPA list

Guess you’ve never seen him....

If you want to slag him in the future,  your better argument is injuries and/or inexperience FWIW.

Looking to me like the top 4 could look a lot like:

Murray

Q Williams

Bosa

DK

18 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Guess you’ve never seen him....

If you want to slag him in the future,  your better argument is injuries and/or inexperience FWIW.

He was invisible for a number of games. 

It's hardly a crazy opinion.