Could JP Losman Help Rejuvenate Josh Rosen in AZ?

Take this for what you will....JP has been an offensive intern at Clemson the past two years under Dabo.  He talked about it with John Murphy and famously said something like “I’ve been winning more these past two years than I have my entire life!” Apparently he interviewed for a position with Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona as reported by the Rap Sheet. 

There are a few similarities physically between JP and Rosen.  It makes you wonder if he can help coach up The Rosen One.  My guess is that he’s more of a Quality Control coach given his lack of experience.

https://irishfb.com/2019/01/25/j-p-losman-could-be-coming-back/

Edited by BillyWhiteShows

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

JP story is interesting.....particularily since JP failed as a pro Qb becasue he didn't have the "head" for it.

....yet good 'ol Jaws lauded him for being "so smart with the football" (I'd have to find that illustrious quote)....go figure...............

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yet good 'ol Jaws lauded him for being "so smart with the football" (I'd have to find that illustrious quote)....go figure...............

I also remembering him lauding Kaepernick as potentially becoming one of the "all time greats".  I like Jaws, but he sells the drama and hyperbole a little too much at times.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Just because JP Losman wasn't a good NFL quarterback doesn't mean he can't be a good coach.

Only a select few on the entire planet are good enough to succeed in the pros.

....perfect example...Jordan Palmer.....a meh pro career yet a highly sought after TEACHER today.....could be JP's niche.....

1 minute ago, YodaMan79 said:

I also remembering him lauding Kaepernick as potentially becoming one of the "all time greats".  I like Jaws, but he sells the drama and hyperbole a little too much at times.

...he's a prize......ruined his penny loafers drooling all over Spent Trent Edwards as the "real deal" for Bflo......

23 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

JP story is interesting.....particularily since JP failed as a pro Qb becasue he didn't have the "head" for it.

EJ was another one... all the tools, passed the eye-test, but could not grasp a playbook or read defenses. I was hoping he would pull it off early on, but eventually heard why his development was stuck in Neutral.

Which brings me to another unsung part of Allen's game... his pocket presence. Knowing when (often) protection was breaking down and avoiding or escaping the pressure. Seems many of our failed attempts at filling the QB role were guys that did not have that - stood somewhat immobile in the pocket till they were sacked over and over. Tyrod did not have that issue, but could only take the team so far.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

That might be true but I also remember how bad he was on short & medium passes. Threw a beautiful deep ball.

40 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

No he failed in the NFL.  IIRC he won a Championship in a flash in the pan league with Jim Fossil as his HC

Edited by formerlyofCtown

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...perhaps another Professor Irwin Corey in the making?...stay tuned............

image.jpeg.c6a8c61207e1631321ac72337bd28044.jpeg

I'm sure JP has a million words to tell the press, a very lively young man oozing with self-confidence.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Just because JP Losman wasn't a good NFL quarterback doesn't mean he can't be a good coach.

Exactly,... Jordan Palmer didn't exactly have an illustrious NFL career

32 minutes ago, WideNine said:

EJ was another one... all the tools, passed the eye-test, but could not grasp a playbook or read defenses. I was hoping he would pull it off early on, but eventually heard why his development was stuck in Neutral.

Which brings me to another unsung part of Allen's game... his pocket presence. Knowing when (often) protection was breaking down and avoiding or escaping the pressure. Seems many of our failed attempts at filling the QB role were guys that did not have that - stood somewhat immobile in the pocket till they were sacked over and over. Tyrod did not have that issue, but could only take the team so far.

JP was eerily similar to Rob Johnson in that regard. Never felt pressure, got sacked a million times, and ultimately couldn't get it done despite talent. Guys like that can make the best offensive line look like trash. Have no idea what kind of coach he is, but he was the furthest thing from a cerebral QB one could imagine

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, WideNine said:

EJ also couldn't throw accurately, even on short tosses.

3 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

EJ also couldn't throw accurately, even on short tosses.

EJ had the yips. There's no other explanation for some of the throws that man made. From my vantage point, his major flaw as a passer was overthinking. I doubt EJ would have ever panned out, but a harda** like Marrone was a match made in hell.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lol. Sorry bud. It just seems like you're reaching for Bills related material. I'll say this, J.P. sucked in the league. I see this as a non-issue moving forward. He wasn't good Then, and has not enough experience to be productive as a coach. Just my humble opinion

I hope he can at least help clean up the state of Arizona. 

I kid, because that was actually a cool thing to do in Buffalo, even if I wonder about the motivation. Hope he’s really a cool guy and does well, but not SO well we regret our “Josh choice”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

You mean like this?

giphy.gif

How did you get it to work?  I tried the insert other media from URL option and it won't let me do it...

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I hope he can at least help clean up the state of Arizona. 

I kid, because that was actually a cool thing to do in Buffalo, even if I wonder about the motivation. Hope he’s really a cool guy and does well, but not SO well we regret our “Josh choice”. 

He can help clean up my driveway tomorrow morning...can't see across the street right now it's snowing so hard...

Edited by matter2003

7 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

EJ had the yips. There's no other explanation for some of the throws that man made. From my vantage point, his major flaw as a passer was overthinking. I doubt EJ would have ever panned out, but a harda** like Marrone was a match made in hell.

EJ DID have a better rookie campaign.  More Tds. Less picks. Higher comp %. 

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Take this for what you will....JP has been an offensive intern at Clemson the past two years under Dabo.  He talked about it with John Murphy and famously said something like “I’ve been winning more these past two years than I have my entire life!” Apparently he interviewed for a position with Kliff Kingsbury in Arizona as reported by the Rap Sheet. 

There are a few similarities physically between JP and Rosen.  It makes you wonder if he can help coach up The Rosen One.  My guess is that he’s more of a Quality Control coach given his lack of experience.

When has lack of experience mattered much lately? The HC of that same team got hired after flaming out at his Alma Matter! People in this town LOVE Kingsbury & willing to give him a pass on pretty much everything...but the last two seasons made it more & more difficult to accept when it was obvious Tech was getting worse the longer Kingsbury stayed :(

I still wish him the best, but his lack of experience already hurt him once, and it's not likely to get easier in the big leagues. JP may as well be his OC at this point. He's just as deserving as anyone else.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

How did you get it to work?  I tried the insert other media from URL option and it won't let me do it...

He can help clean up my driveway tomorrow morning...can't see across the street right now it's snowing so hard...

It doesn’t work because you didn’t copy the actual URL for the gif. The link you provided isn’t a link to the image it’s a link to the page where that image is. The actual link for an image should end in .gif, if you are trying to insert a GIF

15 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Yup. 

And the way the Bills handled him sure didn't help him develop.

They found the scheme he was pretty good in ... and changed it totally in the offseason to one he was pretty bad in.

And carefully kept him behind an OL for his time here that was even worse than the current one. Terrific LT and nobody else. LG to RT in those days made the last two years look like Pro Bowlers.

Remember Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler, Duke Preston, Chris Villarrial in his last year in the league and Terrance Pennington? Or Tutan Reyes? Or Mike Schneck? Those guys were blocking for JP the year he looked pretty decent.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Remember the old line “those that can’t play; coach”.

14 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Did they not say he could perform well in the QB room but panicked on the field? That said I believe he could coach better.

15 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

"Rejuvanate" seems an inapt term to refer to a second-year player.  Giving Rosen a decent OL and receiving corps would seem more helpful.

I wish JP well, but physical similarities don't seem like a great basis for proposing someone as an especial help.  QC Assistant would probably be a good position for him.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. 

And the way the Bills handled him sure didn't help him develop.

They found the scheme he was pretty good in ... and changed it totally in the offseason to one he was pretty bad in.

And carefully kept him behind an OL for his time here that was even worse than the current one. Terrific LT and nobody else. LG to RT in those days made the last two years look like Pro Bowlers.

I will never understand why people question the concept that young QB can be "ruined".  Everyone accepts that there's a huge difference between the college and the pro game.  It just seems self-evident that for a young QB, being asked to play before he fully understands the concepts, behind an OL that can't give him time, and with targets who can't release and get open won't help him learn what works in the NFL - because when nothing works, it's hard to distinguish what should have worked "if", and hard to have the right kind of confidence.

Add in a poor offensive scheme and bad coaching and there you go.

• Like (+1) 1