Returntoglory

Build a dominant O-Line!

56 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Use the FA money to build a line of experienced professionals and keep josh safe. Not a bunch of rookies that are learning the pro game. Get just a pack of veteran maulers that have been coached up at the pro level and can come in and fix the run game on day 1. Use the draft for the skill positions. Fa WR/RB class is weak and the college Olineman are not developed. Fix the Oline in March and add the pass catchers and rbs in April.

2 of the Colts OL are rookies...

I don’t care where the Bills get them from, just get them from somewhere...

• Like (+1) 2

How did you ever think of this?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

How did you ever think of this?

I've been reading your posts. 

4 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I've been reading your posts. 

My posts are that obvious?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

You need to find the right guys. Glowinski was signed off the scrap heap for peanuts and he's a former 4th rounder. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

I think everyone here agrees we need a dominant O-line or would like one. However the Colts drafted Quentin Nelson who has shined. We'd love to find a player like him in this draft but from what I've read/heard/seen, there isnt a player like him available in this draft. Not one who is looked upon as a sure fire dominant all pro type.

Jonah Williams has been talked about. Dude is tall but lacks weight.

Greg Little or Jawaan Taylor are the only others. One of them at least will surely be gone by the time the Bills select & both have concerns regarding them playing too high & getting pushed around too much.

Point is is that its not easy but yeah it'd be nice :P

• Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

Posted (edited)

Even Mike Leach will tell you, “It all starts with the offensive line.”

I hope Jonah Williams will still be available when we pick 9th, but I doubt it.

Edited by The Senator

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

My posts are that obvious?

Just the vague and pointless ones.

It nice to rave about the O-line, but Luck is the highest ranking prospect since Elway. It's the quarterback first and foremost.

And they haven't really proven much yet, I mean it's Wild Card Weekend, let's see how far they advance before proclaiming  "O-lines win championships!"

1 minute ago, OJ Tom said:

It nice to rave about the O-line, but Luck is the highest ranking prospect since Elway. It's the quarterback first and foremost.

And they haven't really proven much yet, I mean it's Wild Card Weekend, let's see how far they advance before proclaiming  "O-lines win championships!"

Look how Allen was with the garbage in front of him. Our running game? This should be the focus. Give Allen some time and watch our vertical game explode!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Their RG is a free agent after this season.. Glowinski.  Just sayin 

He didn't look much of a player until this year when they plugged pieces in around him. Is that because he was being asked to cover up too much before? Maybe. Or is it because now he is being covered up by better players around him? Also possible. 

I am not paying big FA money to find out. There are better options out there. I think he is the most replaceable piece on that line. 

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You need to find the right guys. Glowinski was signed off the scrap heap for peanuts and he's a former 4th rounder. 

Yep. His career history before this season is being on atrocious lines both in Indy and Seattle. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I’m sure that’s the plan

Dont count on it.  Nothing McBean has dones so far tell me they value OL.  I would expect some more budget signings like Bodine.  And certainly no top 10 picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 3

8 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Look how Allen was with the garbage in front of him. Our running game? This should be the focus. Give Allen some time and watch our vertical game explode!

I want them to have a great O-line too, I'm just noting that it's easy to get caught up in over glorifying a unit right after a playoff game.

I'm not convinced that the O-line is the most important factor in professional football. Obviously, it's important to have a good line, but let's not get ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been posting this for 20 years. As much as we need blocking, don't count on it. A first round corner would absolutely not shock me. In fact if my life depended on making the right guess, I would expect  to say hello to the corner from LSU at #9.

McClapper passed on Mahomes  and Watson to draft a corner. Why wouldn't he pass on a blocker?

Greedy would be an excellent value at slot 9.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been posting this for 20 years. As much as we need blocking, don't count on it. A first round corner would absolutely not shock me. In fact if my life depended on making the right guess, I would expect  to say hello to the corner from LSU at #9.

McClapper passed on Mahomes  and Watson to draft a corner. Why wouldn't he pass on a blocker?

I am with you on the tendencies of defensive-minded coaches to ignore their o-line needs. I think McBeane may actually buck the trend this year though, but I could see them grabbing a run-stuffing DT early as it is a deep position in the draft and the Bills are bad at stopping the run.

Hopefully, watching the steady march of QB's that went on IR (Garappolo, Dalton, Smith, McCoy), and others that were knocked out of their line-ups (Wentz, Rogers, and his own veteran backup Anderson), as well as the steady stream of Buffalo RB's injured behind a line that couldn't open any running lanes brought home the fact that teams don't run the ball, or protect very well if they have a bad o-line.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am with you on the tendencies of defensive-minded coaches to ignore their o-line needs. I think McBeane may actually buck the trend this year though, but I could see them grabbing a run-stuffing DT early as it is a deep position in the draft and the Bills are bad at stopping the run.

Hopefully, watching the steady march of QB's that went on IR (Garappolo, Dalton, Smith, McCoy), and others that were knocked out of their line-ups (Wentz, Rogers, and his own veteran backup Anderson), as well as the steady stream of Buffalo RB's injured behind a line that couldn't open any running lanes brought home the fact that teams don't run the ball, or protect very well if they have a bad o-line.

I think defensive coaches live in fear of having a weak secondary getting burned.

Lots of hard work by a defense can be frittered away instantly, and repeatedly, if you have a weak cornerback. Like, the guy can just be picked on all game. 

This inspires them to keep a steady supply of young CB's ready to step in at all times.

Edited by OJ Tom

That has to be priority number one. I was listening to the radio before the game and they were talking about how Andrew Luck was 33/1 in the red zone this year, but the year before he was the most sacked qb in the league. Get the qb first and then build the line. I kniw he was great before, but overcoming his injury, having a great o-line frees up your head to make plays without the panic. Watson is really good, but he was sacked 62 times this year. With Brown gone and some injuries it hurt. You add a few o-line to Texans and they'll get better. If we can protect Josh so he has more confidence to stand in the pocket, and a weapon or two, it's an obvious recipe for success

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I think defensive coaches live in fear of having a weak secondary getting burned.

Lots of hard work by a defense can be frittered away instantly, and repeatedly, if you have a weak cornerback. Like, the guy can just be picked on all game. 

This inspires them to keep a steady supply of young CB's ready to step in at all times.

I think the Bills are pretty flush with young secondary talent right now, and will be getting some more back from injury next year.

You hate to draft for need, but the o-line "needs" some love and I fear that even middling o-line FA talent will likely be overpriced - Beane needs to find that sweet spot between finding a 1 or 2 solid veteran players and o-line talent in the draft that can be groomed.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Dont count on it.  Nothing McBean has dones so far tell me they value OL.  I would expect some more budget signings like Bodine.  And certainly no top 10 picks.

Nothin in Bean’s ONE draft has told you that???  Come on...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think the Bills are pretty flush with young secondary talent right now, and will be getting some more back from injury next year.

You hate to draft for need, but the o-line "needs" some love and I fear that even middling o-line FA talent will likely be overpriced - Beane needs to find that sweet spot between finding a 1 or 2 solid veteran players and o-line talent in the draft that can be groomed.

I certainly don't want them to use a high pick on the secondary! I'm just commenting on why CB's seem to be drafted by teams that might appear to have other , bigger needs.

I'm ALL FOR drafting an O-lineman with a high pick, and getting ahold of some veterans. I think the O-line is the Bills greatest need right now. My previous comments are regarding some fans here waxing on and on about how important the O-line is because the Colts won a wild card game.

The Bills O-line currently sucks. Get it to "above average" and it will suffice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

2 of the Colts OL are rookies...

I don’t care where the Bills get them from, just get them from somewhere...

I am agreeing with you. I made that very point (Indy rookie OL) in a few posts.

I don't see fixing the OL in FA. Maybe 1 improvement at OL in FA is realistic. It's more realistic to improve WR, LB, DL in FA than OL.

Too many teams need OL, too few quality FA available, lots of FA money.

My point was that it may mean Buffalo drafts OL in Rounds 1,2 or 3 and 'reach' for RT, C or G in the draft this year.

It seems we are both ok with that.

What is your favorite OL in rounds 1 and 2?

At #9 I like:

Jawaan Taylor OT

AJ Brown at WR

plenty of DL and Edge to like at 9

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I am agreeing with you. I made that very point (Indy rookie OL) in a few posts.

I don't see fixing the OL in FA. Maybe 1 improvement at OL in FA is realistic. It's more realistic to improve WR, LB, DL in FA than OL.....

I expect something like, 2 new players (probably a draft pick, and a FA) as starters, and another new starter from the guys already here. That is a pretty big turnover, especially with a new o-line coach on top of it.

Add a vet WR, a high draft pick WR, and probably a mid round RB and that's a new offense.

Edited by OJ Tom

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Their RG is a free agent after this season.. Glowinski.  Just sayin 

Addition for Bills, Subtraction for Colts!  Weaken our competition and strengthen our team! 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by BuffaloButt