Playoffs at 8-8 this year

MClem06

3 hours ago, MClem06 said:

1)Figured we lose to NE as the only loss and find a way to win 5

2) We can tie with Miami at 8-8 and Tennessee at 8-8 and still make it.

3) Far fetched but hey it's fun to mess with that playoff machine :)

4) GO BILLS, Josh - You can do it!

8-8.thumb.jpg.e99ce2af4764b5f63881f1e88a76e979.jpg

?‍♂️ Couldn't find a unicorn Emoji so this will have to do.  The genie can grant you that wish cause that's what it would take!?

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Now the fact that we can still have this sort of optimism and we are not yet mathematically eliminated is something to be thankful for! :) 

Huddles, let me reiterate that I can't believe how excited I am for the rest of the season, regardless of whether we make the playoffs.

I would love to send Williams into retirement with another winning season at 9-7 and 1 singular career win in NE against Brady when it matters to the Pats.

let's do it!

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Is there really any point possibly sneaking in (and by possibly I mean very unlikely) at 8-8 and then getting crushed in the first round by the Steelers or patriots?

I would much rather play Allen and let him develop, and then head into 2019 with a more experienced Allen.

And better draft picks at the same time.

that is a quitter's mentality.  would you buy a powerball ticket and figure you're gonna lose anyway, so you just throw it out?

can you see the future and figure...screw it and stay in bed? 

one win...this week. that's all that needs to happen. all these teams that looked destined for 10-6 or better, may end up in an 8-8 logjam. 

wouldn't you rather watch a late december game that could have wc or even the division on the line?

sure, all things have to fall in place, but if last year taught us anything,  it can happen.

why throw the towel in now? you are the kb of fans....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Huddles, let me reiterate that I can't believe how excited I am for the rest of the season, regardless of whether we make the playoffs.

I would love to send Williams into retirement with another winning season at 9-7 and 1 singular career win in NE against Brady when it matters to the Pats.

let's do it!

D2D, that means we would also have a good win against the Jags this week in our rear view mirror, sending that pretentious Benedict Arnold Marrone and loudmouth Ramsey packing so I’ll take it! Prost! ?:beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

I don't quite get the fascination with "making the playoffs".  The drought was one thing so you can overlook making it with a meh record.  But at the end of the day, making the playoffs at 8-8 means ... you know ... they were 8-8.

PLAYOFFS !! You kiddin' me? PLAYOFFS.

I May be old school, but playoffs is ALWAYS a good thing.

It was Thanksgiving weekend last year when we came off of 3 really bad performances heading into Kansas City where one more loss would have most likely done us in for the season. We pulled off an upset and turned the whole season around.  Let’s do it again.

Edited by Talley56

19 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

that is a quitter's mentality.  would you buy a powerball ticket and figure you're gonna lose anyway, so you just throw it out?

can you see the future and figure...screw it and stay in bed? 

one win...this week. that's all that needs to happen. all these teams that looked destined for 10-6 or better, may end up in an 8-8 logjam. 

wouldn't you rather watch a late december game that could have wc or even the division on the line?

sure, all things have to fall in place, but if last year taught us anything,  it can happen.

why throw the towel in now? you are the kb of fans....

A quitters mentality? When did I ever say throw in the towel?

Try to win every single game with Josh Allen. Not Barkley.

The reality is they are 3-7 and the odds of making the playoffs are basically slim to none.

So it would be very foolish to start a career journeyman over your potential franchise QB to have a prayers chance of getting into the playoffs.

Sean McDermott realized that as well. You’re one of the few who hasn’t I guess.

Try to win every single game, yes. But don’t be stupid and just waste 6 games on a journeyman, where you can get Allen more experience going into 2019.

Edited by billsfan11

16 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

The reality is they are 3-7 and the odds of making the playoffs are basically slim to none.

So it would be very foolish to start a career journeyman over your potential franchise QB to have a prayers chance of getting into the playoffs.

Try to win every single game, yes. But don’t be stupid and just waste 6 games on a journeyman, where you can get Allen more experience going into 2019.

nobody's saying that, but if we are gonna do anything....it starts with a win this sunday. does josh coming in give us the best chance against a p'od jags team?

....or would it maybe serve him better to come back next week or the home game after...leaving him to play out the season. i find it a reasonable thing to ponder myself.,

When you consider that there's only one team in the conference with a worst record, the odds that they will all fall apart is rather low.  There's five teams with a two game lead on us and three of those five have already beaten us.

Recently I went back and looked, (to 2005 I think it was), there's only been one team at 8-8 that made the playoffs as a wild card.  Surprisedly  (or maybe not) there were more 8-8 teams that won their division than got in as a wild card. 

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

nobody's saying that, but if we are gonna do anything....it starts with a win this sunday. does josh coming in give us the best chance against a p'od jags team?

....or would it maybe serve him better to come back next week or the home game after...leaving him to play out the season. i find it a reasonable thing to ponder myself.,

I get your point sir.

But think about it. They are 3-7. There is probably a 99 percent chance they don’t make the playoffs.

So you got to ask yourself. Is there really that big difference between Barkley and Allen at this time?

Probably not much if any.

So go with the young potential franchise QB.

If Allen wins games and they somehow make the playoffs? Fantastic.

If he doesn’t play well and they miss out?

Extremely good chance they would miss the playoffs with Barkley as well so might as well get Allen the experience and let him learn

4 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

just looked at indy's schedule. they play miami at home this week...hmmm...think about how that could work to our benefit....

anyway then they have texans/titans/cowboys/giants and jags. they might just fall off....

They won't lose to the Giants.  And the Titans without Mariota?

5 hours ago, MClem06 said:

I don't think 5-1 in the last stretch is completely out of the question if our QB of the future can find a grove.

Five out of six are totally winnable games. Even the game against NE is, if we have an offense that even remotely resembles what we saw in the Meadowlands last week. Going to be much tougher in their house, but if our defense continues to play the way that they have, we are certainly still alive.

• Like (+1) 1

The Chargers should at least get to 10 wins, which means they will occupy the 5th seed. For the 6th seed I think you have to ask yourself the question will either the Titans, Colts, Ravens, Fins or Bengals get to 9 wins? I think one of those 5 teams will go 4-2 to end the season and get to 9 wins. The Bills aren't making it at 8-8.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Chargers should at least get to 10 wins, which means they will occupy the 5th seed. For the 6th seed I think you have to ask yourself the question will either the Titans, Colts, Ravens, Fins or Bengals get to 9 wins? I think one of those 5 teams will go 4-2 to end the season and get to 9 wins. The Bills aren't making it at 8-8.

Most likely you are correct but this is a funny league and i have seen some odd things happen- including a bills coach say neither team that played that day had a shot at the playoffs and then the team that beat us did make the playoffs.

19 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

I get your point sir.

But think about it. They are 3-7. There is probably a 99 percent chance they don’t make the playoffs.

So you got to ask yourself. Is there really that big difference between Barkley and Allen at this time?

Probably not much if any.

So go with the young potential franchise QB.

If Allen wins games and they somehow make the playoffs? Fantastic.

If he doesn’t play well and they miss out?

Extremely good chance they would miss the playoffs with Barkley as well so might as well get Allen the experience and let him learn

again...why throw in the towel now?  if that's the way we're gonna operate, i gotta find another team....although this is my 45th year.  ask yourself these questions?

1. what's more important? winning this game or seeing if josh allen's arm is a ok?  if they start barkley and we are down 17-0, we can throw josh in for the duration.

if josh comes in and starts, gets confused and pummeled....possibly re-injured and ending his season....what do we gain...jack.....cause if it isn't the latter we can't pull him.

2. if barkley starts and we get up big early and walk out with a win, we have another week for josh to heal and even have the option of waiting to start him at home in 2 weeks.

what's the lesser of two evils here?  i doubt barkley's gonna start the game and go down 14 or 17-0....with a bunch of  3 and outs thru the first half.

if that happens to josh ...at home...if we lose the season's done...your team, city and bill's universe is on your shoulders...and he looks lost?....omg

the picture of fergy yankin the chinstrap just went through my mind. point is....josh allen is the future ..... but he doesn't have to be it this week.

winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.      signed.....entire bills locker room.

Edited by billsredneck1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Most likely you are correct but this is a funny league and i have seen some odd things happen- including a bills coach say neither team that played that day had a shot at the playoffs and then the team that beat us did make the playoffs.

Its fun to think that if the Bills can beat the Jags, Fins, and Jets (Certainly possible) the Bills will be sitting at 6-7 going against a beatable Lions team. But I think the Bills are going to have to win out in order to make the playoffs. That would knock the Fins out and the Bills would have to hope they get lucky with the Colts and Ravens going 3-3 or worse to end the season. But I just don't see it happening if they even just lose to the Pats. 

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

bengals...browns x2 / chargers / pitt / broncos ..i think are they our biggest worry, but 4 losses are possible.

the ravens will finish 7-9

titans...head to head

colts have a tough sched.

miami we can beat.

14 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

again...why throw in the towel now?  if that's the way we're gonna operate, i gotta find another team....although this is my 45th year.  ask yourself these questions?

1. what's more important? winning this game or seeing if josh allen's arm is a ok?  if they start barkley and we are down 17-0, we can throw josh in for the duration.

if josh comes in and starts, gets confused and pummeled....possibly re-injured and ending his season....what do we gain...jack.....cause if it isn't the latter we can't pull him.

2. if barkley starts and we get up big early and walk out with a win, we have another week for josh to heal and even have the option of waiting to start him at home in 2 weeks.

what's the lesser of two evils here?  i doubt barkley's gonna start the game and go down 14 or 17-0....with a bunch of  3 and outs thru the first half.

if that happens to josh ...at home...if we lose the season's done...your team, city and bill's universe is on your shoulders...and he looks lost?....omg

the picture of fergy yankin the chinstrap just went through my mind. point is....josh allen is the future ..... but he doesn't have to be it this week.

winning isn't anything, it's the only thing.      signed.....entire bills locker room.

Let me ask you something.

The Bills are 3-7.

So what are the odds the Bills make the playoffs starting Barkley the last 6 games?

And what are the odds the Bills make the playoffs if they start Allen the final 6 games?

In your personal opinion.

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Let me ask you something.

The Bills are 3-7.

So what are the odds the Bills make the playoffs starting Barkley the last 6 games?

And what are the odds the Bills make the playoffs if they start Allen the final 6 games?

In your personal opinion.

for the last time, we don't have to start barkley for the rest of the season....just get the win against the jags and find the best scenario to get josh going. why put the season on allen's shoulders now?  we don't have to do that!  game to game/ week to week.....slow down.

2 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Try this...

A) Your idea of sitting Allen until he's ready disagrees with your belief that you just put Allen in when Barkley starts to suck. Barkley is going to suck*, you're going to start Allen when he does, and that doesn't sound like a plan to only put him on the field when he's ready. Which is it?

B) You can't learn to read in-game defenses from the bench, and that something he absolutely needs to learn quickly.

C) No one said 'winning doesn't matter.' That's you moving goal posts. What I wrote was Barkley winning you a few games in a season in which the playoffs are virtually out of reach is a fool's mission. You're trying to make yourself feel better on Sundays, and forsaking the big picture. 

D)The 2019 Buffalo Bills pre-season starts Sunday. They get six extra games. Make them work...see how the last three games progress...so you know where you're going next year.

*In the end, you're just hoping to have a better Sunday. You can do that if you have a plan beyond "Barkley is the best option." It starts by watching Barkley throw the ball against anyone other than the Jets. When he starts his throwing motion, you can get up, go to the kitchen, pour yourself a beer and eat three wings by the time the ball comes out of his hands. The Jets let him do that. The Jaguars will not.

A) This misrepresents my position. What I have said is that it is easier to bench Barkley than it is Allen. (Do you disagree with this?) We don't have to worry about Barkley's development. I have also said that Barkley, at the moment, gives us the best chance of winning. And, I see no reason to assume Barkley is going to suck. That assumption reads like a mere justification for your position. If Allen gave us a better chance of winning, that might be an indication that he is ready to take the field. 

B) Again, I don't agree with the notion that you don't learn from the bench, and that would include learning opposing defenses. Be that as it may, I'd love to know why they are something Allen "absolutely needs to learn quickly."

I also will continue to maintain that developing behind a really crappy O-line (which is what we have), and piss-poor WRs (which we also have) is a really good way of learning bad habits.

C) Lots of people on this site have said that winning doesn't matter this season. Lots of them. The reasoning is that it is more important for Allen to start in a losing effort than for Barkley to start even if that gives us a better chance to win. How am I moving the goal posts? 

And, yes I want to watch the Bills win every Sunday. But, I don't believe that is a fool's mission, even if we don't make the playoffs. In fact, even if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, because I believe that is part of building a winning culture. And here is my point about when Allen should start: He should start when he gives us a better chance to win. That's how you foster a winning culture.

D) Giving up on the regular season before it is over-- before we are even eliminated from the playoffs-- is the defeatist attitude of a losing culture. This culture that has defined the Bills for far too long.

*Yes, in the end, I am hoping for a better Sunday. Why would I deny that? Don't we all??? But, equating starting Barkley with not having a plan is a bit obnoxious. I want Barkley to start vs. the Jags, I want our O-line to continue to develop, and I want our WRs to continue to develop. If Barkley continues to play well, I want him to start the rest of the season, as Allen learns from the sideline (the plan when we drafted him). Then, next season, with a decent O-line, and receiving corps, and a better developed, and confident Josh Allen, he can move through TC and preseason without some goofy "QB competition," and start game one.

Sounds like a plan to me. Just my opinion, bet we can disagree.

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

for the last time, we don't have to start barkley for the rest of the season....just get the win against the jags and find the best scenario to get josh going. why put the season on allen's shoulders now?  we don't have to do that!  game to game/ week to week.....slow down.

So in other words just waste more time for Josh Allen’s development?

Just out of curiosity please answer the question.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

omg....he's gonna be the starter for the 2019 season. one or two more games on the side this year are not gonna matter !

What’s the point of wasting one or two games?

They are not making the playoffs and running the table with a guy who couldn’t even beat out Jeff Driskoll for the backup job in cinci.

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Its fun to think that if the Bills can beat the Jags, Fins, and Jets (Certainly possible) the Bills will be sitting at 6-7 going against a beatable Lions team. But I think the Bills are going to have to win out in order to make the playoffs. That would knock the Fins out and the Bills would have to hope they get lucky with the Colts and Ravens going 3-3 or worse to end the season. But I just don't see it happening if they even just lose to the Pats. 

I am certainly not betting on Bills making run even if given 1000-1 odds- i am simply old enough to remember odd things happening. I was reminded today that in 2004 we were 3-6 and ran the table until the last day and were beat by Pitts backups.

15 hours ago, MClem06 said:

Playoffs at 8-8 this year

God, I hope not. 500:1 shot, IMO, but I sure hope we don't win another game. 

Making the playoffs and being crushed the minute we play a good team is nothing to be especially happy about. It would only mean a few more players unavailable to us in every round of the draft.

10 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Did Mahomes need to play all those games during his rookie year? Time on the bench can be just as useful as time in the game, especially if you're really not yet sure what's going on around you and even more especially if you have some mechanical habits that need to be grooved but won't if you're spending your time during the week memorizing game plans and your times during the game trying to survive and often going back to old habits.

Edited by Thurman#1