Peterman the $614k scapegoat

Kevin1778

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

The offense is bad. Peterman is the worst starting QB in the NFL. 

He is NOT a starting quarterback. He is the 3rd QB. The starter and backup are injured. He started game 1 because they didn't want to start their franchise QB and the guy they brought in to start broke his collar bone in preseason and Peterman got the job.  The mistake was not starting Allen in game 1 like the Jets did with their QB. Allen should have started with Peterman his backup or 3rd QB when they got a veteran willing to play for them. Perhaps they knew how bad this line was.

Edited by Kevin1778

69/133 (51.9%) for 563 Yards (4.23 YPA, 141 Yards per Start), 3 TDs (2.26%), 13 INTs (9.77%). 18 Rushes for 76 Yards (4.22 YPC) for 1 TD. 30.9 Passer Rating, -0.01 ANY/A.

Regardless of what he's being paid, the Pegulas are not getting their money's worth.

EDIT: Oh, and after yesterday's game he's now thrown as many TDs to Bills opponents as he has to Bills WRs...

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t believe that Nate Peterman can orchestrate an offense that scores in the top half of the league (24-27 points). He doesn’t belong in the league and will be out of it before the year is over. 

There is is something to be said for giving a young QB a chance. The Chiefs surrounded Mahomes with weapons and Andy Reid. We gave Josh Allen, Jason Croom and Brian Daboll. That is a massive organizational failure. They haven’t done that kid any favors. 

Definitely agree with you that they haven’t done him any favors 

13 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

He is NOT a starting quarterback. He is the 3rd QB. The starter and backup are injured. He started game 1 because they didn't want to start their franchise QB and the guy they brought in to start broke his collar bone in preseason and Peterman got the job.  The mistake was not starting Allen in game 1 like the Jets did with their QB. Allen should have started with Peterman his backup or 3rd QB when they got a veteran willing to play for them. Perhaps they knew how bad this line was.

A backup should be at least capable of running the offense at an intermediate level. He's terrible and does not possess the mental makeup nor the arm strength to be functional in this league. 

52 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I love the Scramble on the untimed hail mary. That was impressive 

Reminds me of the scramble/hail mary by Trent Edwards on a 4th and 11, with a minute left in the game against the Packers, that ended with Edwards just running out of bounds.

Here's my prediction.  Nate will be cut at the end of this week going into the bye.  The only reason Nate saw the field this week was because he was the only healthy QB who knew the playbook.  Hell, before this week McD even said he was an emergency QB only.  Allen-Anderson and Barkley (maybe) will be the QBs for the final six games after the bye.   Allen will be the starter. 

I expected an awful year...if you didn't expect an awful year, you weren't watching.  The Wood and Incognito situations made it bad, the QB injuries made it untenable.  This is the worst offense since the 1983-85 period....reminds us how bad things can be. I have hope this can turnaround.  Beane had a lot to do with the Panthers OL and skill positions.  Players like McCaffery, Olson and Samuels were drafted with him in a key role and some good OL came there as well.  Take heart my Bills brothers and sisters.  Better days are ahead.

Edited by JoeF

5 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Here's my prediction.  Nate will be cut at the end of this week going into the bye.  The only reason Nate saw the field this week was because he was the only healthy QB who knew the playbook. 

They aren't cutting any quarterback until the end of the year, except Barkley. This line can't protect quarterbacks.  They might move Peterman to practice squad so they can move him up when Allen or Anderson get injured, which is likely considering Anderson lasted 2 games and Allen lasted 5 games. Actually a little concerned starting Allen against Jacksonville. That D hits. Rather start Anderson if healthy and give Allen last 5 games.

Edited by Kevin1778

Peterman is terrible, but as a bonus he's only $614K terrible!! Sadly the OP is right about the other Bills mentioned. They are even worse!! When your so called high end offensive talent has that few scores that is beyond embarrassing.  Shady is having a bad year but KB and Clay have no excuses!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

They aren't cutting any quarterback until the end of the year, except Barkley. This line can't protect quarterbacks.  They might move Peterman to practice squad so they can move him up when Allen or Anderson get injured, which is likely considering Anderson lasted 2 games and Allen lasted 5 games. Actually a little concerned starting Allen against Jacksonville. That D hits. Rather start Anderson if healthy and give Allen last 5 games.

They have to cut Peterman to move him to the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Nate Peterman ran the ball on a Hail Mary. 

He is horrible. Has no situational awareness and turns the ball over on 11.5% of his pass attempts

Did you hear his excuse as to why he ran? Guy is just not talented but also a liar. A flat out liar. 

Morally, the guy is not right

2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

People have turned Peterman into a punching bag when in actuality he gets paid $614k, what a 3rd QB gets paid. The real problem are the big 4 highly paid "stars" on offense. Look at those contracts and look at their production. The Big 4 on offense have been awful. Their stats through NINE games is beyond bad. In fact Peterman has thrown for a TD and run for a TD. Those 2TD's are more than McCoy, Clay, and Benjamin have COMBINED.

Josh Allen $ 3.85M

832Yds 2TD 5 INT

LeSean McCoy $8.95M

267yds ZERO TD's

Charles Clay $9.00M

169yds ZERO TD's

Kelvin Benjamin $8.5M

302yds 1TD

Clay is an absolute disaster here.   I would try to trade him to the Rams (they could use a TE upgrade) for a 7th.  Or a conditional 7th.  Anything to free up his cap space next year.  Croom and Thomas can pickup the slack. 

14 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Peterman is terrible, but as a bonus he's only $614K terrible!! Sadly the OP is right about the other Bills mentioned. They are even worse!! When your so called high end offensive talent has that few scores that is beyond embarrassing.  Shady is having a bad year but KB and Clay have no excuses!! 

exactly.  Everyone is on Peterman, and rightly so.  He's bad.  But he's a 3rd string QB.  We are basically getting 3rd string play from him.   Clay has not stepped up, KB has not stepped up.  When your QB goes down, you need your "stars" to step-up and help the backup.  So far, no one on this offense is stepping up.  

Hopefully we don't have KB and Clay here next year and can use that money on OL and other talent to help the QB. 

I'm not a Peterman guy but it incredible how many of his ball go off receivers hands and are picked.   I first one he thrown to ivory should have been picked and returned.  Ivory had two hands on it chest high.  I guy is just jinx the DiMarco one in San Diego just started it off and ruined this guy.  

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Technically, not a drop at all. It was a “pass defensed” - the db got his hand in right away right at the point of where the ball wound up in his hands and swatted it away. A better wr with stronger hands (boldin, watkins) hangs on, but most wrs in the league don’t make that catch.

I really don't think even the very, very best wide receivers make that catch more than 50% of the time. Benjamin had it in his two hands at the very apex of his jump. It was actually great timing on his part. It's physically impossible to have ultimate hand strength at that moment. Immediately as he brought it down the defender got his whole arm in there to knock it away. That wasn't a drop at all. He could have caught it but it was far more a pass breakup and great defensive play than a drop. 

And I hate defending Benjamin. He's pitiful this year. And lazy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

And yet the OP’s point bears discussion. Are his quotes of the stats of our offensive “stars” actually not offensive? 

Nope, they all are having bad years. The reality is that 45% of the offensive snaps belonging to Peterman and Anderson is the prime reason. The OP has spent the last few weeks trying to defend and deflect from Nate. The guy is the worst QB in history. There is no reason to make excuses for him. He’s a massive part of the problem and not any part of the solution.

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I really don't think even the very, very best wide receivers make that catch more than 50% of the time. Benjamin had it in his two hands at the very apex of his jump. It was actually great timing on his part. It's physically impossible to have ultimate hand strength at that moment. Immediately as he brought it down the defender got his whole arm in there to knock it away. That wasn't a drop at all. He could have caught it but it was far more a pass breakup and great defensive play than a drop. 

Agree 100 percent.

2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

He dropped it. Any top wide receiver catches that. He has no vertical. Great receivers always catch balls that hit them on the hands in the endzone. 

See Dog's post above. 

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, they all are having bad years. The reality is that 45% of the offensive snaps belonging to Peterman and Anderson is the prime reason. The OP has spent the last few weeks trying to defend and deflect from Nate. The guy is the worst QB in history. There is no reason to make excuses for him. He’s a massive part of the problem and not any part of the solution.

It's definitely getting technical when the stank has so many layers to it. It's getting difficult to evaluate which is worse, the talent trying to execute the play designs, or the coaching prep schematically on the O side of the ball? And I have been willing recently to give Daboll a pass given what he's working with objectively, but this is getting beyond nuts.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

People have turned Peterman into a punching bag when in actuality he gets paid $614k, what a 3rd QB gets paid. The real problem are the big 4 highly paid "stars" on offense. Look at those contracts and look at their production. The Big 4 on offense have been awful. Their stats through NINE games is beyond bad. In fact Peterman has thrown for a TD and run for a TD. Those 2TD's are more than McCoy, Clay, and Benjamin have COMBINED.

Josh Allen $ 3.85M

832Yds 2TD 5 INT

LeSean McCoy $8.95M

267yds ZERO TD's

Charles Clay $9.00M

169yds ZERO TD's

Kelvin Benjamin $8.5M

302yds 1TD

So if we're counting Nates QB sneak touchdown does that mean you should add the 3 rushing TD Allen has?

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I love the Scramble on the untimed hail mary. That was impressive 

what, you wanted him to throw a 105 yard pick 6?  

;) :lol: 

1 hour ago, clearwater cadet said:

I'm not a Peterman guy but it incredible how many of his ball go off receivers hands and are picked.   I first one he thrown to ivory should have been picked and returned.  Ivory had two hands on it chest high.  I guy is just jinx the DiMarco one in San Diego just started it off and ruined this guy.  

I'd say  60% do,  but we won't let those small details cloud the discussion. 

The truth here,  is that the guy who scored the ONLY TD's in the past month for Buffalo flat out sucks. 

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So if we're counting Nates QB sneak touchdown does that mean you should add the 3 rushing TD Allen has?

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

You absolutely should. TD is a TD, same number of points no matter how you get in there. 

A TD is A TD.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Take a good look.

DrQjRRPW4AAWHVy.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Nate Peterman ran the ball on a Hail Mary. 

He is horrible. Has no situational awareness and turns the ball over on 11.5% of his pass attempts

Like them scoring there would have made any difference.

Besides, he actually had quite a wide open field! If he could run better, hell, he might have made it!

Peterman simply lacks talent.

His interceptions are 100% earned.

People trying to excuse his interceptions as unforeseeable errors ignore the fact that OUR OWN HC runs a defense that is designed to create throws like Peterman made yesterday.

Throws which don't advance the ball much but create opportunities for turnover.

As an aside:

Ironically when McD got fired in Philly Dick Jauron was his DB's coach...........and it was expected that Jauron would take his spot as DC but Andy Reid promoted Juan Castillo from OL coach to DC instead.

He learned A LOT from Dick Jauron about how to survive as a coach in this league.............McD died by the sword in Philly playing an agressive defense that was ultimately designed to be able to combat the better QB's in the league...........but if not well done allowed for tons of big plays.     McD couldn't do it.    He just couldn't dial up the right calls and he gave up tons of big plays and his redzone defense was the worst in the NFL.         

• Like (+1) 1

The only stat I needed to know about NP.  the ONLY one...

In the Super bowl era, he holds the record for the most INT for any passer with 100 or fewer pass attempts.  He is not the worst ever - that falls to Tommy Wade - Pitt QB from 64-65 who threw 13 picks in 69 attempts....  Later in the game yesterday, he passed 100 attempts - and finished the day with 12 picks in 130 attempts.  A staggering comparison - Aaron Rogers has thrown 11 picks in his last 993 attempts.

Bonus stat:

Peterman became the 1st QB since 1999 with 30 completions to pass for less than 190 yards.

It is not just the people around NP, NP is not capable of playing the position.  He is holding that position ONLY because we have zero other players who can even stand out on the field at the moment.

3 minutes ago, MTBill said:

The only stat I needed to know about NP.  the ONLY one...

In the Super bowl era, he holds the record for the most INT for any passer with 100 or fewer pass attempts.  He is not the worst ever - that falls to Tommy Wade - Pitt QB from 64-65 who threw 13 picks in 69 attempts....  Later in the game yesterday, he passed 100 attempts - and finished the day with 12 picks in 130 attempts.  A staggering comparison - Aaron Rogers has thrown 11 picks in his last 993 attempts.

Bonus stat:

Peterman became the 1st QB since 1999 with 30 completions to pass for less than 190 yards.

It is not just the people around NP, NP is not capable of playing the position.  He is holding that position ONLY because we have zero other players who can even stand out on the field at the moment.

Should have been gone after week 1.  

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was at the game and haven't seen the broadcast yet..........but was it not obvious on TV that there were 10 defenders within 5 yards(and sometimes 3 yards) of the LOS all game?

You gotta' throw the ball over the top of that kind of defense.

Nate kept throwing right into it.............***** averaged less than 4 yards per attempt.

Not a matter of casting blame on a guy who doesn't deserve criticism..........he simply can't make NFL throws and everyone knows it.

Don't waste your effort on the third qb on the team. He is what he is. You may not have a good vantage point from being in the stands but our OL play is bad to the point of being dysfunctional. Without question good qb play helps out the OL but atrocious line play makes it impossible to run a basic offense. That unit is horrendous. Our most talented lineman is Dawkins. He is more suited to the LG position than the LT position. Our receiving corps is not much better than our futile OL. Zay Jones can be a solid player. Benjamin is a waste. Collectively our offense is a league embarrassment in a system that is biased toward the offense. The offseason needs to be dedicated to remaking that unit. If it isn't then that is a classic example of malfeasance and nonfeasance. 

5 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Josh Allen $ 3.85M

832Yds 2TD 5 INT

LeSean McCoy $8.95M

267yds ZERO TD's

Charles Clay $9.00M

169yds ZERO TD's

Kelvin Benjamin $8.5M

302yds 1TD

That's not what he gets paid.  That's what his cap hit is.  His cap hit is actually higher than Derek Anderson, but you didn't make a thread about that.

Drop the agenda.  Peterman sucks.  Its that simple.  I don't care what he gets paid.  I don't care what the Bills put around him.  He still sucks as a QB.

Edited by Scott7975