Matt Barkley Coming to town

Reed83HOF

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How?  Are you concerned they'll want to keep Barkley next year?  Peterman?  

Maybe you need to define your concept of the future.

McDermott, with Beane, decided that a player with no arm was viable in the league as a backup. He's been the worst player in league history to date because he cannot throw NFL passes. That has been shown time and time again. Today they are considering bringing in another player just like Peterman, whose death knell as a player in this league is that he is a turnover machine because he has a rag arm. He's just like Peterman and has been released by numerous teams because he's just like Peterman, and his 8-18 TD/INT is indicative.

In fact, he was a 4th round pick for exactly the same reasons as Peterman was a 5th. Both were known for being smart, accurate, quick release throwers but weren't highly regarded because they had rag arms.

McD and Beane should have known first hand that this kind of player cannot succeed. They have seen it with their own eyes three or four times. And yet they still have kept Nate on the team. And now when they need to get an emergency guy in here who may have to play right away behind Matt Barkley 2.0, what do they do? They bring in Matt Barkley 1.0.

That's scary for our future from our decision makers. Whether Barkley plays a down or not. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McDermott, with Beane, decided that a player with no arm was viable in the league as a backup. He's been the worst player in league history to date because he cannot throw NFL passes. That has been shown time and time again. Today they are considering bringing in another player just like Peterman, whose death knell as a player in this league is that he is a turnover machine because he has a rag arm. He's just like Peterman and has been released by numerous teams because he's just like Peterman, and his 8-18 TD/INT is indicative.

In fact, he was a 4th round pick for exactly the same reasons as Peterman was a 5th. Both were known for being smart, accurate, quick release throwers but weren't highly regarded because they had rag arms.

McD and Beane should have known first hand that this kind of player cannot succeed. They have seen it with their own eyes three or four times. And yet they still have kept Nate on the team. And now when they need to get an emergency guy in here who may have to play right away behind Matt Barkley 2.0, what do they do? They bring in Matt Barkley 1.0.

That's scary for our future from our decision makers. Whether Barkley plays a down or not. 

They don't have many choices right now.  And they drafted the guy with the biggest arm in recent memory

Edited by oldmanfan

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Free agent QB Matt Barkley is set to visit Buffalo tomorrow afternoon. Could sign this week and potentially be the Bills number 2 QB on Sunday. @gmfb

I hope they sign him.  I met him in the 2017 offseason after he signed with the Niners.

Will this year's QBs top the following stat lines:

1985 Ferragamo and Mathison: 50.9% completion %, 3,331 yards, 9 TDs, 31 Int.

1973 Ferguson and Dennis Shaw: 95-211 45% completion %, 1,236 yards, 4 TDs, 14 Ints (14 games), the last 2 games that season as OJ chases 2,000 yards (he ran for 419 in last 2 games) he was a combined 5-12 for 113 yards, 2 TDs and no Ints. OJ ran it 56 times in last 2 games. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I’m ok with this. We are starting Peterman next week after all! 

This team is in in major trouble. ?

But many posters thought it was a lovely idea to have 2 unproven QB’s on the active roster and none on the practice squad. Look at the ***** show now! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree and completely understand the point you're making.  Not to pile on but remember they didn't decide rag arm Peterman was a viable back up - they decided he was our starter.  They are scaring the crap out of me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

This a million times over. He’s like the Italian version of Frankenstein. 

Did you know that "Frankenstein" was the surname of the doctor who created the "monster."  Many people....like you, apparently....think that the green, tall, ugly monster with bolts sticking out of his neck & a flat top head, is named "Frankenstein." He is/was NOT.  He is/was simply "the monster."  *The more you know*

Edited by John in Jax
Grammar correction
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Guess I'm the only one that likes this.  He's had some good games but can turn the ball over.  I'll take it right now but yes management really screwed up the Qb situation this year.  

Good games? When the hell did this happen? Against Duke and Virginia?

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Why are we going from "strongest arm in the NFL" to noodle arms?  Are they trying to see how many pick 6s they can get?

DA has very strong arm and they signed him. McCarron did not have a strong arm and was tossing pick 6s in the preseason, they traded him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

By the end of the season Peterman will have set the record for pics and pic 6s. He will have completed more passes for interceptions than completions and the Bills will have the record for most QBs started in a single season. 

Next year to combat the problem the 53 man roster will carry 53 QBs

55 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Did you know that "Frankenstein" was the surname of the doctor who created the "monster."  Many people....like you, apparently....think that the green, tall, ugly monster with bolts sticking out of his neck & a flat top head, is named "Frankenstein." He is/was NOT.  He is/was simply "the monster."  *The more you know*

Hey, somebody else watched CBS this morning on Sunday. 

56 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Yes, I do know that. I even wrote a book about it. See my ID image.

pride-and-prometheus-9781481481472_hr.jpg

48 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Guess I'm the only one that likes this.  He's had some good games but can turn the ball over.  I'll take it right now but yes management really screwed up the Qb situation this year.  

My fault. I thought you were referring to Peterman. All these quarterbacks are starting to blend together.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They don't have many choices because they ***** up in the first place. 

How?  Other than not bringing  Anderson in earlier when they traded McCarron, how?

They are down two guys that got hurt.  So they have to bring a fourth guy in.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I agree and completely understand the point you're making.  Not to pile on but remember they didn't decide rag arm Peterman was a viable back up - they decided he was our starter.  They are scaring the crap out of me. 

While technically true, he was merely a placeholder. Unfortunately, that turned into a comical disaster. Oops! 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

While technically true, he was merely a placeholder. Unfortunately, that turned into a comical disaster. Oops! 

I generally am not into superlatives but this is by far the worst this team has looked in the last 20 years. Utter incompetent mess. Offense is a total, unmitigated disaster and much of it is self inflicted. I would say this is comical if not for the number of QBs getting hurt. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I generally am not into superlatives but this is by far the worst this team has looked in the last 20 years. Utter incompetent mess. Offense is a total, unmitigated disaster and much of it is self inflicted. I would say this is comical if not for the number of QBs getting hurt. 

Yep, I can’t recall a worse NFL unit than our offense right now. Having said that, a lot has gone wrong that was not easily foreseen. Wood, Richie, KB forgot how to catch, QB injuries, etc. Still, it looks like a weak HS offense. It’s NOT the whole team, it’s the offense. (ST is meh.) I’m OK with waiting for another season and reserving judgment. To do otherwise would be foolish. Don’t start over every other year. That’s led to decades of disappointment. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Just like Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley will amount to crap here. Might as well call Charles Barkley.

That would be turrible! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not gonna lie. I liked Matt Barkley over EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, and Ryan Nassib in the "we HAVE to pick one" 2013 Draft. Kind of funny to see him suit up here 5 years after the fact. Couldn't be much worse than Derek Anderson and an upgrade over watching Nathan Peterman. I'm fine with Barkley steering the tank until they're ready to put Josh Allen back in.

• Like (+1) 1