Why Did Hughes Get Flagged for Unsportsmanlike?

Gugny

No explanation was provided and the network feed fails to show visual of any kind of infraction or confrontation involving Hughes.  I think the original 5 yard call was for lining up in front of the center although Kyle Williams was only about 1/2 foot to the inside shoulder of the guard and not covering the center.  And the ref's original call was number 94.  When the ball was snapped he moved to the outside shoulder of the blocker and did not engage the center at all.  Was it a weak call?  Maybe.  Number 55 has a target on his back from the league officials.  If I was Jerry I might consider changing my number.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The brilliant commentators never discussed it and there was no replay.

Does anyone know what Hughes did to get flagged?  Once answered, I'll delete the thread.  Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Because he's Jerry Hughes and that's what the refs love to do. :thumbsup:

G D Refs were irritating yesterday calling the Bills but not the Colts on holds.  

Probably because referees allow the other team to do whatever they want to Jerry and he gets an unsportsmanlike for breathing too hard on someone. He is flagrantly held on most passing downs and it's never called. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Probably because referees allow the other team to do whatever they want to Jerry and he gets an unsportsmanlike for breathing too hard on someone. He is flagrantly held on most passing downs and it's never called. 

So true. The league refs have blackballed him....

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He's a hot head.  He has a history of mouthing off to refs and getting flagged for it, probably more of that.  Great player but that stuff is inexcusable. 

there might be a time and place for it, it has never been when he loses his control and gets another 15 piled on to the Bills miseries

54 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

No explanation was provided and the network feed fails to show visual of any kind of infraction or confrontation involving Hughes.  I think the original 5 yard call was for lining up in front of the center although Kyle Williams was only about 1/2 foot to the inside shoulder of the guard and not covering the center.  And the ref's original call was number 94.  When the ball was snapped he moved to the outside shoulder of the blocker and did not engage the center at all.  Was it a weak call?  Maybe.  Number 55 has a target on his back from the league officials.  If I was Jerry I might consider changing my number.

I'm friends with his mother in law and a few other members of his family. They were telling me they were watching a game with him during our bye week or something, Cowboys and someone. Coleman called "Flag on the play. Unsportsmanlike conduct. Number fifty fi.. I mean 62." He swore that he just got into the habit of calling him for penalties. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a process to change your number, and you have to wait about two years.

11 minutes ago, mattynh said:

He's a hot head.  He has a history of mouthing off to refs and getting flagged for it, probably more of that.  Great player but that stuff is inexcusable. 

He seems to have stopped doing that as much, but unfortunately has a past that the refs are eyeing him all game. 

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I'm friends with his mother in law and a few other members of his family. They were telling me they were watching a game with him during our bye week or something, Cowboys and someone. Coleman called "Flag on the play. Unsportsmanlike conduct. Number fifty fi.. I mean 62." He swore that he just got into the habit of calling him for penalties. And someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a process to change your number, and you have to wait about two years.

He seems to have stopped doing that as much, but unfortunately has a past that the refs are eyeing him all game. 

The most bogus call I remember was against the Patriots a few years ago where the Bills made a big stop on a running play and number 55 taps the helmet of his teammate on the pile of players.  The flag flies out.  The ref assumes he's taunting or late-hitting on of the Patriots.  Personal foul number 55 unnecessary roughness for congratulating a teammate on making a play.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The most bogus call I remember was against the Patriots a few years ago where the Bills made a big stop on a running play and number 55 taps the helmet of his teammate on the pile of players.  The flag flies out.  The ref assumes he's taunting or late-hitting on of the Patriots.  Personal foul number 55 unnecessary roughness for congratulating a teammate on making a play.  

But there wasn't much to celebrate yesterday so we can rule that out.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The brilliant commentators never discussed it and there was no replay.

Does anyone know what Hughes did to get flagged?  Once answered, I'll delete the thread.  Thanks.

They did replay it at least on the feed I was watching.  Two hands to the facemask shove well after the play right out in the open. 

In other words, a typical Hughes. The commentators comment was if the refs see you using two hands like that the call is automatic.

Edited by CodeMonkey

1 hour ago, MPT said:

It wouldn't be bad if it were ordinary downs, but it's more frustrating when the wrestling take down occurs on a 3rd down TD toss

19 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

They did replay it at least on the feed I was watching.  Two hands to the facemask shove well after the play right out in the open. 

In other words, a typical Hughes. The commentators comment was if the refs see you using two hands like that the call is automatic.

That was Benjamin... in other words not Hughes.

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Thank you, @The Poojer!!!

I, too, love Hughes and think he's shown much better discipline. 

Much better 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was penalized for not playing great football.

LOL

One drive killer was when KB got a Penalty for retaliating after getting hit twice 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

This was horrendous no doubt. The call basically is a summary of the refs still today in the NFL

jerry-hughes-penalized-for-slapping-own-

Edited by Real McCoy

43 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

You're thinking of a different play. That one was on Benjamin, although they didn't call anything on the Colts player who did the same thing to him and caused Benjamin to react. They let the other team do whatever they want and wait for the Bills to react before throwing a flag. 

43 minutes ago, GG said:

It wouldn't be bad if it were ordinary downs, but it's more frustrating when the wrestling take down occurs on a 3rd down TD toss

Yeah he got dragged down by the collar which would cause a hailstorm of laundry for any other team. I was so pissed about that play. That was a blatant non-call that directly led to a touchdown. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was at the game and Jerry must've said something to the ref. it was well after the play and he was just standing next to the ref and all of a sudden the flag flies.  I don't blame him at all.

2 hours ago, MPT said:

Exactly.  Blatant holds all the time that never get called.  Some of those big runs by the Colts yesterday...clear holding.  I hate NFL officiating.  Not blaming this loss on them but come on - would've been nice if they even a quarter of them. 

4 hours ago, MPT said:

You're thinking of a different play. That one was on Benjamin, although they didn't call anything on the Colts player who did the same thing to him and caused Benjamin to react. They let the other team do whatever they want and wait for the Bills to react before throwing a flag. 

As is the case many times, the refs didn't see the initial hit.  They only saw the retaliation.  And Benjamin got away with the first slap.  It wasn't until he slapped him again that the flag was thrown.  That was all on Benjamin.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

As is the case many times, the refs didn't see the initial hit.  They only saw the retaliation.  And Benjamin got away with the first slap.  It wasn't until he slapped him again that the flag was thrown.  That was all on Benjamin.

i don't know about that.  what makes you think they missed the initial shot to the face on Benjamin?  the inconsistency from game to game, and often play to play leaves me with no faith that the official saw the initial shot to the face and figured it was fine.  i agree, if benjamin walks away there is no penalty called, but that's part of the problem. 

10 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the way Jerry Hughes expressed his opinion of the bogus call.