If Derek Anderson and this defense begin to win games.....?

Rebel101

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Your scenario (if it pans out, which I actually hope he does win us some games, obviously) would equal short term gain for long term pain, because every snap/rep that JA sits out as a healthy scratch, is one more rep he will have to gain in additional development time once he inevitably does start again. And no matter how great DA does in spot duty, he's never more than a band aid temp fix, even if it's through the rest of this year. Originally, I was ok with NP (or whoever else was going to win the QB competition out of camp) starting the year and going for as long as success would dictate, before turning to JA as the franchise heir--was always a big believer in a newbie sitting behind an older starter he could learn from and be eased into this (although a more established veteran even for that first plan would've been nice). However, this would not be going back to that starting line--too much has happened. Now that JA's actually started games, he needs to see it through as soon as healthy. Otherwise, his confidence, growth curve,  morale and overall respect of his teammates for him at the position all suffer IMHO. 

I know it is a toss up. It could go either way

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

He hasn’t been a complete failure? He has led the team to the worst offense seen throughout the league in years. 2018 teams are averaging 30 points a game. Josh Allen I believe has thrown 2 TDs. He is young and hopefully will get a lot better in years to come but so far he has been a failure and has proven he shouldn’t have even been named a starting NFL QB so early. Prove me otherwise 

So if one of the WRs had been wide open in the endzone on his TD runs & he threw the ball instead of running it in, he would be more successful in your opinion?  This is a classic example of someone using QB stats , which can be the worst stats in all of sports, to justify their weak opinion.  

There's no such thing as a rookie QB failure after basically 5 games.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, One game.  That shows he's making progress over the other 3 games he started.

That's 4 starts.  And you want to say he's awful based on that.  Ridiculous.

Are you for real???  He made progress in one game in which he threw for under 100 yards and now he hasn’t been awful?  

JOSH ALLEN HAS BEEN AWFUL.

this isn’t hating gentlemen.  I’m a fan.  I really love the kid and I hope he succeeds.  He needs time, just as everyone had said prior to him being drafted.  Lots of time.  Better OL and WRs will help.  I do believe he will, at least a mid tier starter......but to say he hasn’t been awful to date is just, as you said.....ridiculous.  We’re judging 4 starts.  Not his future.  In 4 starts.....he has been awful.  That is an absolute fact sir.  Disagree if you like.  It just makes you wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

So if one of the WRs had been wide open in the endzone on his TD runs & he threw the ball instead of running it in, he would be more successful in your opinion?  This is a classic example of someone using QB stats , which can be the worst stats in all of sports, to justify their weak opinion.  

There's no such thing as a rookie QB failure after basically 5 games.  

Yes. You can grade a guy on each  isn’t to say that he will fail forever.....but in the games he’s played so far, he’s been bad.  That’s a fact. What are you people watching?  I’m seriously in shock that there are people saying he hasn’t been bad. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Are you for real???  He made progress in one game in which he threw for under 100 yards and now he hasn’t been awful?  

JOSH ALLEN HAS BEEN AWFUL.

this isn’t hating gentlemen.  I’m a fan.  I really love the kid and I hope he succeeds.  He needs time, just as everyone had said prior to him being drafted.  Lots of time.  Better OL and WRs will help.  I do believe he will, at least a mid tier starter......but to say he hasn’t been awful to date is just, as you said.....ridiculous.  We’re judging 4 starts.  Not his future.  In 4 starts.....he has been awful.  That is an absolute fact sir.  Disagree if you like.  It just makes you wrong.

Watch the plays.  Go back like I did and watch each play.  He's making progress.  Still has a long way to go but he's making progress.  Like rookies do.

And by the way, differing opinions are neither right nor wrong.  They're just different.

22 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I’m not saying Allen won’t get better. I believe with time and dedication he will. That’s not what this post was about. It was a question that if Anderson plays well. Do the Bills keep him in or bring Allen back and I think maybe 2 people have answered the question lol

I think I was one of them.  If they are playing well and winning you keep playing Anderson and let Allen watch and learn

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Watch the plays.  Go back like I did and watch each play.  He's making progress.  Still has a long way to go but he's making progress.  Like rookies do.

And by the way, differing opinions are neither right nor wrong.  They're just different.

He’s making progress.......... of course he’s making progress,  how can he get worse?  Did you watch every play from the packer game like I did?  I’m sure you did and you realize that it was a epic fail from every qb standpoint.  Of course he’s going to get better.  It’s impossibke to be worse, unless you’re sweet Nate Pete. 

Yes, different opinions are different.  Josh Allen’s QB play has been awful.  There’s no debating this. It is a fact.  That’s not to say he will always be awful.  His play so far......has been awful.  It is a fact.  There may be certain things he’s gotten better at.  He may not make the same mistakes in the future that he’s made so far.  His accuracy may get better.  I. Not taking about the future.  I’m talking about what he has put on tape to date in the nfl.  If you don’t think his tape so far has been awful, you’re either defending a kid that you like (aka a homer), arguing just to argue or don’t know how to grade a QB.  I’d guess that is the first option.  Ain’t nothing wrong with that, I’ve defended some bums before.

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I put Allen in as soon as he’s ready. 

Anderson is here to show him the ropes, he gets 3-4 games now to study film with josh and see how he prepares for game day, but I don’t think Anderson is going to have much success. I hope I’m wrong I’d like to see a competitive offense I’m just not sure he has anything left in the tank 

For the past 7years, Anderson has prepared for gameday by choosing which among the various Panthers ballcaps he might like to wear on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

Why do people have faith in a career backup?

Why do people have faith in the worst QB tandem - worst by a mile! - so far?  See my

post about Derek Anderson, Replacement Level QB. Which right now is way better than the performance we could expect from Allen. (I said “right now” - not someone’s dream of what Allen may become.)

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s making progress.......... of course he’s making progress,  how can he get worse?  Did you watch every play from the packer game like I did?  I’m sure you did and you realize that it was a epic fail from every qb standpoint.  Of course he’s going to get better.  It’s impossibke to be worse, unless you’re sweet Nate Pete. 

Yes, different opinions are different.  Josh Allen’s QB play has been awful.  There’s no debating this. It is a fact.  That’s not to say he will always be awful.  His play so far......has been awful.  It is a fact.  There may be certain things he’s gotten better at.  He may not make the same mistakes in the future that he’s made so far.  His accuracy may get better.  I. Not taking about the future.  I’m talking about what he has put on tape to date in the nfl.  If you don’t think his tape so far has been awful, you’re either defending a kid that you like (aka a homer), arguing just to argue or don’t know how to grade a QB.  I’d guess that is the first option.  Ain’t nothing wrong with that, I’ve defended some bums before.

Good God.    I talk about this a lot, but you actually are another one with the inability to read.  Where exactly have I said he's been good this year?  Answer: nowhere.  He looked awful against the Pack, but you can see progress since.  he's getting the ball out quicker, last week he was more accurate.  It does not mean he's good yet, or that he's played well so far. 

We should be talking about his future, because he is a rookie QB drafted to be the future.

39 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That progress you claim he’s making isn’t leading to any production from the offense. It has been consistently bad all season.

3 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

This the statement. What do you think the Buffalo Bills should do. But also what do you think the Buffalo Bills will do. I think with our defense and a veteran QB the team has a chance to succeed. I believe Anderson will capitalize off turnovers and win us a few games. It is a tough spot though because you have already started developing Josh Allen. I believe the Bills FO has to put his development as the top priority. So should he sit and learn and how how a QB can succeed in this league? Or should they put him back out there and let him take his lumps? I believe Anderson should play as long as he can if he is winning. But I also believe the Bills will put Allen back in no matter what the outcome is of Anderson’s run as a starter.

Anderson is a 35 year old journeyman QB who was on family vacation two weeks ago, and is, by any measure, a bad NFL QB. While I'm with everyone in hoping for the best, the chances he leads this team anywhere but the first overall pick are about as long as a country train. He wasn't a good QB when he was in game shape and knew the playbook, what does anyone think he'll be able to pull off now?

That being said, I think what would be best for Allen's development is to let him sit and observe, and while he's injured work on two things: his x's and o's, and his footwork/pocket movement. You don't need a good elbow to work on either and the kid needs both. When healthy, I think we can start to work him back in so he can first feel how his elbow might be doing, but more importantly, ACTUALLY apply what he's been learning/developing. Give him a drive or two a game, put together a script of plays so he can focus on staying in the pocket, knowing his routes and read the coverage. Whether or not he does well shouldn't matter, it's the repetition he needs. Then he can go into the offseason and continue to work and develop with any coach whose name is not "Culley" and we can begin our judgment of the newly formed offense throughout next season.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Good God.    I talk about this a lot, but you actually are another one with the inability to read.  Where exactly have I said he's been good this year?  Answer: nowhere.  He looked awful against the Pack, but you can see progress since.  he's getting the ball out quicker, last week he was more accurate.  It does not mean he's good yet, or that he's played well so far. 

We should be talking about his future, because he is a rookie QB drafted to be the future.

He’s quicker to throw incompletions. Great. 

Maybe I'm in the minority.  I don't feel that DA is going to play all that well.  Maybe a slight increase in offensive production but not much.  And who knows if he will be a turnover machine or not.  Hope he exceeds my expectations.

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

That progress you claim he’s making isn’t leading to any production from the offense. It has been consistently bad all season.

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Tell you what.  Go back and watch every passing play of the first half of the Texans game like I did.  Then we can talk.  Until then you're just blowing hot air. 

The offense has a lot of issues other than just the QB.  You know that.  You're smarter than that.  Or at least I thought you were until this kind of stuff.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Tell you what.  Go back and watch every passing play of the first half of the Texans game like I did.  Then we can talk.  Until then you're just blowing hot air. 

The offense has a lot of issues other than just the QB.  You know that.  You're smarter than that.  Or at least I thought you were until this kind of stuff.

Why would you assume that I haven’t already watched it? Because my conclusion doesn’t agree with yours I must not be informed? The All-22 shows some good here and there but the vast majority isn’t good. 

Where have I said QB is the only issue on offense? Do you just ignore things that I actually say so you can put words in my mouth and argue a point I never made?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why would you assume that I haven’t already watched it? Because my conclusion doesn’t agree with yours I must not be informed? The All-22 shows some good here and there but the vast majority isn’t good. 

Where have I said QB is the only issue on offense? Do you just ignore things that I actually say so you can put words in my mouth and argue a point I never made?

You linked his progress to production by the offense.  By omitting the other factors you imply he is the sole problem for the offense.  And I doubt you watched every play in detail, because you would not say his progress leads him to just throw interceptions.  His accuracy continues to improve as shown in the Texans game.

Funny how if Anderson plays like Tyrod or just a little worse so many would be happy with that. 

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

He hasn’t been a complete failure? He has led the team to the worst offense seen throughout the league in years. 2018 teams are averaging 30 points a game. Josh Allen I believe has thrown 2 TDs. He is young and hopefully will get a lot better in years to come but so far he has been a failure and has proven he shouldn’t have even been named a starting NFL QB so early. Prove me otherwise 

Many teams are breaking offensive records - in the good way. The bills are doing the opposite - breaking records in the wrong way. Should not be happening in this nfl, the rule changes, etc. Its an offense driven league and we stink. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

No doubt those 7 incompletions on Sunday would have instead been perfectly placed into the arms of our great wide receivers if only they had come from the fingertips of The Legend Of Derek Anderson.

• Like (+1) 1

Anderson will be playing behind the same set of turnstyles that Allen did, which many pundits claim is the worst o-line in the league.

When Anderson throws the ball he'll be throwing to the same group of receivers, minus Foster, who routinely drop balls that hit them in the hands.

And for the trifecta, Anderson will have the same stale play calling from Daboll that Allen and Peterman had.

Before the season started I predicted we'd have 6 different QB's start games for us. This is week 7 and we're on QB #3 already.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You linked his progress to production by the offense. 

Isn’t production kind of important? If you want to say he’s making progress because he’s getting rid of the ball quicker. Fine. I can agree to a degree. But if the offense is still really bad and that progress isn’t leading to anything positive then what are we really talking about here? 

Grtting rid of of the ball quicker isn’t always a good thing. Especially when you factor in his poor pocket presence and habit of bailing from clean pockets.

By omitting the other factors you imply he is the sole problem for the offense. 

No, that’s not what I’m implying. But I guess that fits your narrative.

And I doubt you watched every play in detail, because you would not say his progress leads him to just throw interceptions.

That isnt even even what I said. Pay attention. And again, you can doubt it all you want because it fits your agenda. 

His accuracy continues to improve as shown in the Texans game.

Keep grasping. 

19 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority.  I don't feel that DA is going to play all that well.  Maybe a slight increase in offensive production but not much.  And who knows if he will be a turnover machine or not.  Hope he exceeds my expectations.

Derek Anderson is a interception waiting to happen and if he struggles the colts could have 5 ints in this game. Piss poor management to expect Peterman to be the starter or backup to Allen but give them kudos to the defensive side of the ball. 

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Funny how if Anderson plays like Tyrod or just a little worse so many would be happy with that. 

Many teams are breaking offensive records - in the good way. The bills are doing the opposite - breaking records in the wrong way. Should not be happening in this nfl, the rule changes, etc. Its an offense driven league and we stink. 

You are helping to prove my point lol

I get why so many are hyped about the defense.  They are playing really good ball.  But this is a much different QB as compared to Watson and Mariota.  Luck will step up in the pocket and sling it accurately,  he's not trying to buy time and run around, and turn himself into sacks.   I think the Bills will need 26+ points to beat Indy and I don't think they will get there.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If the offense shows life and we win....you have to keep him in there.  We have an elite defense.

Josh can learn by watching which was the original plan except Nathan Peterman f'ed that up.

Luckily for Anderson, the bar for "signs of life" with this offense has been set at a level that even Tryion Lannister cannot limbo under. This offense is in a vegetative state as far as signs of life go and if Anderson can just get it to grow moss on its north side, he will have succeeded. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Luckily for Anderson, the bar for "signs of life" with this offense has been set at a level that even Tryion Lannister cannot limbo under. This offense is in a vegetative state as far as signs of life go and if Anderson can just get it to grow moss on its north side, he will have succeeded. 

I think we might score more than 1 offensive TD this game.  Parade down Chippewa?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

This is how this started. I said he played awful in the all 22s.  You said, no he hasn’t, he looked better vs the Texans.  I said, he improved over awful, but overall, he’s been awful.  You say I don’t read.  He’s been awful this year.  Did he look better vs the Texans?  Maybe, I haven’t watched the all 22 yet.  But....,as my OG statement rests, he’s been awful this year.  If you don’t think so.  Good for you.  You’re most likely just being a homer

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Seriously dude, after the Bills play the Colts, they face NE, Chicago, the Jets, and Jacksonville.  Even if you allow them a fighting chance against the Jets (I wouldn't at this point but it's the most likely), Derek Anderson is never going to develop a "hot hand" against the Pats, the Bears, and the Jags.  Not happening.

Brock had a hot hand against the Bears.  The Bears can't handle average to below average offenses apparently.! 

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

If they win games it will show we need to draft another QB

Agreed.  draft another QB.  Keep Anderson, Rookie and Allen.  

Or get Teddy B, Rookie and Allen, which is what I would like anyway because it appears we will only get a small sample-size of Allen this year.  

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Strike up the band!1454652225821

I now have the Peyton Manning/Brad Pasley commercial "we're getting the band back together" stuck in my head! 

14 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Brock had a hot hand against the Bears.  The Bears can't handle average to below average offenses apparently.! 

Agreed.  draft another QB.  Keep Anderson, Rookie and Allen.  

Or get Teddy B, Rookie and Allen, which is what I would like anyway because it appears we will only get a small sample-size of Allen this year.  

I now have the Peyton Manning/Brad Pasley commercial "we're getting the band back together" stuck in my head! 

Good luck in having that removed. Here's something to help:

maxresdefault.jpg